[1] The guy next door

His smile or his smirk?

It was another same morning for Elle. December 14. Her birthday. Light rain was showering up her morning. Gloomy clouds were all she can see as shelooked up at them. Now, she’s sitting steadily at that chair in the old tree house again, removed her necklace and stared at it. Then suddenly, sheremembered...

 

 

“Elle, wake up now or you’ll be late for school,” Elle’s Mother yelled. Her long, newly tied hair was swinging as she was coming towards Elle’s room.

 

“Elle! You should wake up now.” She said again for the second time, now calmly. “Yes Mom. I heard you. I’ll be going down after I fix myself,” Elle replied to her sleepily as she rub her eyes and yawned.

 

Then she smiled at Elle and finally went downstairs. Elle, after her mother went out, stood up and fixed her bed then got her bath towel and now into the shower room.

 

Elle’s mother is a super woman to be. She works alone to sustain Elle’s needs and to meet up their daily living needs. She’s also able to send Elle to a prestigious school where Elle still remains to be in the Top. She started doing this when Elle’s father died 10 years ago. 

 

 

After showering, Elle dressed up, packed up her things and went down for breakfast.  She helped her Mom prepare the dining room for the two of them. Suddenly, someone knocked at the door. “Who do you think it is?” Elle’s Mom asked as she gets the dish she's cooking. Then Elle answered, “Who could it be? It’s always the guy next door.”

 

 

“Annyeong!” It was Sungmin Lee, living next door who always eats with them.  “Aish, you again!” Elle uttered as Sungmin went directly inside.

 

Elle’s Mom was used to this kind of scenario every single morning as Sungmin arrived to the neighbourhood. Sungmin Lee lives at the unit next to Elle’s unit.

 

 

He lives alone and usually eats with them. He studies at the same school with Elle and is a close friend of hers. “No space for me?” Sungmin asked as he pouted and looked at the table prepared for two. “No, Sungmin. I’m about to get the other plate when you arrived. We were always expecting for you.” Elle’s Mom said instead to comfort Sungmin's feelings.

 

 

Then Sungmin smiled sat down and said “Thanks.”  “Wait Mom.” Elle paused as she extended her hand holding her mom's wrist. “Sungmin-ah since you believe you’re a member of our family, you are actually welcome to get your own utensils in the kitchen.”

 

 

Then Sungmin looked at Elle’s Mom and got his own utensils. “Let’s eat now.” Sungmin said excitedly.

 

 

After eating, Elle and Sungmin got their things, Elle kissed her Mom and Sungmin did the same thing to Elle’s Mom. When they were on their way out, Elle hit Sungmin’s head.“What?!” Sungmin asked as he was touching his head.

 

 

“Is my Mom your Mom?”  Elle asked. Sungmin answered, “Maybe not, but we’re family right?” Elle didn’t answered but she smiled. After this, the two made their way to Byung Moon High.

 

 

Upon entering the school’s vicinity, Sungmin moved the opposite way while Sooyoung manage her way with Elle.

 

 

Elle looked at Sungmin and Sungmin smiled as a sign of being fine. The two went to the locker room and got their books, notebooks and some other stuff.

 

 

Sooyoung kept on talking about her love life and boy stuff and shopping stuff and some other stuff.

 

Sometimes Elle wonder, how did she make best friend of this pretty girl beside her who kept on talking about stuff like this and like that , which Elle can’t understand.

 

 

She just keep on saying yes and smiling andnodding to whatever Sooyoung is saying, hoping that Sooyoung won’t find out she only understands “Blah Blah Blah” of every word Sooyoung is speaking.

 

 

After getting their stuff at the locker room, they started walking towards their room. But then, they passed by the Announcement Board. Sooyoung entered the crowd and looked at the Board while Elle is left at the back looking for her.

 

 

After Sooyoung saw the list of the Top Students, she moved back and grabbed Elle’s arm and brought her to see the List of the Top Students. There, Elle saw she was in the Top and got really happy. She was smiling and she looked at Sooyoung.

 

 

Sooyoung was looking at Elle with the curious look, “Why are you flattered?” Elle said in amazed, “I am on Top. What do you expect me to do?”

 

 

Sooyoung answered back, “Everyone’s expecting that. Why are you still surprised?”  “Whatever, I’ll get tired of fighting with you.”Elle replied. Sooyoung smiled and Congratulated Elle. Elle smiled too and thanked Sooyoung. Then they continued walking until they arrive at their class room.

 

 

 

When they arrived at the class room, everyone was busy talking, some are doing random stuff and some are studying.

Elle took her seat and started to scan her notes as well, reviewed her home works and prepared her things.

 

 

Suddenly Tiffany arrived and sat next to Elle, “Hey Ms. Nerd looks like we’re busy studying? How about you do my stuff too?”

 

 

Tiffany Hwang is the School’s Most Popular Girl. She loves shopping, dating and most of all, bullying Elle. She loves to pick at Elle’s antique style of fashion and always makes fun of her.

 

 

“Will you stop doing that?” Sooyoung ordered Tiffany. “What if I don’t? Can you do anything?” Tiffany challenged. Sooyoung didn’t answer, instead she stood up from her seat and was about to start grabbing Tiffany when Elle came between them. “Don’t do it Sooyoung, it’s worthless. I’ll just do what she wanted, to prevent any disagreement.”

 

 

Then Tiffany smiled and told Sooyoung, “Don’t act smart Sooyoung, you’re pretty like me, why don’t you go with me rather than joining this Nerd girl here?” Sooyoung smirked and yelled, “You’re just a product of surgery!” Tiffany mindlessly slapped Sooyoung.

 

 

The two started to brawl at each other and suddenly Elle came between them and tried to stop the fight. Tiffany stood up out of her anger and was about to slap Elle when suddenly someone arrived and caught her hand.