Epilogue + Bonus

You're Not Sorry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N

this is it guys. :D

 

 

EPILOGUE

 


JUST GIVE ME A REASON

 

 

“Hey, why are you still up here? Come on, they’re waiting for us.”

When Taeng didn’t get an answer, he swiftly encircled his arms around his wife from behind and kissed her cheek. “Baby, why aren’t you answering me?”

Tiffany kept her eyes on the mirror, a frown was apparent on her face. She swore that she can still fit this dress only a week ago. “Do I look fat, Taetae?”

“Is this a trick question? Is it too late for me to back out?” He questioned unsurely, and watched her expression through the mirror.

“Just answer me, Taetae.” She pouted.

“Do you want the truth?”

“Am I that hideous that you have to lie to me?” Tiffany huffed before peeling off the arms from her waist.

“What, no. I didn’t say that.” Taeng quickly answered. He turned his wife around and kissed her. “It’s just that, I’m afraid that I’ll say something wrong. Your mood nowadays…” He trailed off, as he watched her eyes looked away from his.

“Just answer my question. I won’t be angry at you.”

“Alright. Urmm, what question was it?”

“Do I look fat in this dress?”

“Turn around a bit, so I can see you.”

Tiffany did as her husband told her, she twirled around, showing off the pink dress she was wearing.

“So?”

“Honestly, yeah. But even without the dress, you’d still look fat.” Taeng answered bluntly.

Tiffany’s eyes grew angry instantly, she punched her husband in the stomach stomping towards the wardrobe to change.

“Yahh! Why did you do that?” He groaned, holding on to his stomach.

“You didn’t have to be so mean about it.” She walked out with a new dress, ready to change into it. It was a long dress, and it wasn’t as fit as the previous one.

“Wait, are you changing again?”

Tiffany ignored her husband, as she took off her dress in front of him.

Taeng knew his wife was angry, he was going to coax her but when he saw her taking off the dress in front of him, he began to salivate instead. It has been weeks after all.

“Fany-ah..”

“What?” She answered coldly.

“Stop.” Her husband stopped her before she can put on the new dress.

“What are you d-“

Taeng had silenced her with his lips and they started to make out for a couple of minutes before pulling out for air.

“Yahh! You stepped on my dress.” Tiffany slapped Taeng’s arm, angry that he had ruined her dress.

Taeng grinned and cupped his wife’s face. “You’re too beautiful to resist.”

“Yeah right, you called me fat earlier.”

“Well, you are.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. “You’re a jerk, Kim Taeng.”

“What? I didn’t say anything wrong. You’re fat, but it makes sense. You’re seven months pregnant, for god sakes.” He defended. “But you still look beautiful anyway. I still can’t keep my hands off you. You’re too stunning.” He grinned.

“Nice save, Kim.”

Taeng sighed. He pulled his wife to stand in front of the mirror again, with her still in her lingerie while he wrapped his arms around her like before. “See, you’re gorgeous. Why can’t you see, what I see?”

“But I can barely fit into any of my dresses anymore.”

“We’ll buy new ones.” He quickly replied. “It doesn’t matter how much you grow, Fany-ah. You still look beautiful to me.”

“But this,” She pointed to her bloated stomach. “It’s humongous.”

“It’s the baby that is growing. Don’t you want more room for her to breathe?”

“I know, but..”

“It’ll be just two months away, Fany. Aren’t you excited?” He coaxed her. “Do you remember the first time your stomach shows a bump? How excited we were over it?”

Tiffany smiled remembering those moments. They stayed up all night that day, talking about how big it can get and started to show it off to their family and friends the next day.

“Now that’s the smile that I love to see.” He kissed her shoulder before turning her around. “I love you. Even though you’re really hard to please nowadays.” He kissed her on the lips.

“I love you too, Taetae. Even though you’re being a big jerk right now.”

“Aren’t I always? You’ll still love me anyway.” He grinned widely, before stealing another kiss.

“We’re going to be late, Taetae.” She said in between the kiss.

“Who cares.”

 

***

 

Taeng woke up with a pain in his stomach. He jolted up from his dream, and realized that it was only his wife. They were sleeping with Taeng spooning her from behind, since cuddling was much easier done by that position.  However, this particular position also has its bad sides.

Tiffany had accidentally elbowed him again, probably because of the dream she was having. He found her doing this almost every night now that they were approaching the due date.

“Fany-ah, wake up. It’s just a dream. Hey,” He patted her arm softly.

She finally woke up from her sleep and saw her husband’s worried eyes on her.

“Bad dream again?”

She shook her head. “It was a good dream.”

“Really? What was it?”

She smiled. “Not telling.” She stuck her tongue out.

Taeng growled. “You hit me in your sleep, and you’re not even willing to tell me?”

“I hit you again?”

“Yeah.”

“That must be because of the dream.” She smiled as she remembered the dream she had. It wasn’t anything big, but she had been having a dream where she met her unborn child, and playing with them.

“Yahh!  Hitting me was a good dream for you?”

Tiffany nodded and giggled when she saw her husband’s expression.

 “Aishh, I was just kidding.” She gave a kiss to her pouting husband. She was going to get up from the bed to wash up but her husband held her.

“Where are you going?”

“Bathroom.”

“It’s too early, Fany-ah.”

“I know, I’m just going to wash my face. I feel sticky.”

“Alright. I’ll help you.” Taeng was going to get up too, but his wife told him to stay.

 He let her go, as he watched his wife going to the bathroom. Usually, he’ll help her to the bathroom since it had been hard for her to move around with the big stomach. It was weird how big her wife’s stomach was, considering she was only carrying one baby.

She was in there for long, and eventually, he fell asleep waiting for her to get back to the bed. A loud thump woke him up, and just like an automatic reflex, he sprinted towards the bathroom in a flash.

“Fany? Are you alright?” He called and knocked on the door. “What was that? Did you fall?”

He didn’t get any answer, and unfortunately for him, the door was locked. “Baby, talk to me.” His voice sounded desperate.

“Taetae..”

Finally, Tiffany answered him, but her voice didn’t sound so good. More like a desperate plea for him.

“Fany, what happened? Open the door, please.”

“I can’t.” Her voice sounded like she was in pain, and it was followed by muffled cries of ache.

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“I can’t get up. Taetae, it hurts.”

Taeng grew worried in an instant, he quickly slammed his shoulder against the door. “I’m coming baby.” He gave a few more hard slams before the door finally gave up, and he saw his wife on the floor, curling in pain. “Fany!” He carried her out of the bathroom and put her on the bed.

He checked her body for any injuries, but just found a bruise on her arm, probably from trying to break her fall. “What’s wrong? Where are you hurting?”

“My..Taetae…I think… it’s time.” She managed to say in between her breaths.

“What do you mean it’s time? What time, Fany?”

“The baby.”

Taeng’s eyes widened, and he blanked out for a whole minute before he spoke again. “But you’re not due yet. You have 3 weeks to go!”

“I feel the contraction earlier, that was why I fell. It’s painful, Taetae.The doctor said that it’ll feel like this when it’s time for the baby to come out.”

“But..”

“Taetae! Please, listen to me.” Her voice grew weaker, she was still fighting with the pain inside.

“What you want me to do?”

“Hospital.”

“Alright.” He was going to carry his wife out of the bedroom when she stopped him.

“You want me to go like this, Taetae?”

“Huh?” Taeng looked down and finally realized that his wife was wearing her nightgown. One that was see through. “NO! You need to change.” He quickly reacted, he didn’t want anyone but him to see his wife’s body.

He put her back on the bed, and quickly find something from the wardrobe for her to wear.

After successfully putting a normal clothes on, he carried his wife again and headed out of the bedroom only to find his parents standing just outside, looking petrified.

“What happened? What was that noise?”

“Baby’s coming out.” He answered simply, he was actually still in shock and couldn’t think straight. He was just following her wife’s instructions blindly without any emotions but stunned look on his face.

“What?!” His father’s exclaimed. He was as shocked as his son.

“Honey, go get the car for him.” Mr. Kim’s wife seemed calmer, she told her husband to bring the car in front so that their son can drive his wife to the hospital.

Taeng managed to put his wife’s on the front seat, before he went around to the driver’s side.

“You go ahead, Tae. Drive safely, don’t rush in any way.” His stepmother advised.

Taeng nodded his head mindlessly.

“Snap out of it, son.” His father slapped his back, and it finally brought his son’s back from his trance.

“Dad, I..”

“You’re gonna be okay. The baby’s coming out to see you soon.” He smiled at his son, and patted his cheek.

“Fany..”

“She’s going to be fine too.”

He gave his son a hug, and patted his back comfortingly. “Drive safely.”

“We’ll be right behind. I’ll pack and bring over Tiffany’s stuffs.” His stepmother said.

Taeng gave a final nod before getting inside the car and drove off. He felt his mind was at peace again after the little moment he had with his father.

“Taetae?” Tiffany called him, she was really worried since her husband was not acting like himself.

“Yes, Fany?”

“Are you alright?”

Taeng nodded and smiled at her. He swiftly gave her a peck, to assure her that he was fine. “Just a little shock. Give me a warning next time, Fany-ah.”

“Alright, I’ll give you a 2 weeks notice next time.” She rolled her eyes.

Taeng chuckled and held his wife’s hand. He kissed the hand. “We’re going to meet her soon.”

Tiffany nodded excitedly. “I can’t wait.”

“Me too.” He grinned and looked down to his wife’s stomach. “The baby’s eager too, right? 2 weeks early, what is she thinking.”

Taeng saw his wife’s frowned. “Contraction again?”

She nodded her head, and held the pain that was ripping inside.

“Alright. Hold on, I’m going to drive a little faster.”

Taeng stepped his foot on the gas, and drove faster than he usually would. He wanted to get there faster, so that the he can finally see the baby. His baby. Their love child.

 

***

 

It was the first day that the new parents would bring their baby home. Of course they were welcomed with a huge party as Taeng’s parents were excited to finally be grandparents to a baby girl. It would be their second time they’ll able to see their grandchild again since she was put in the incubator right after her birth. She was born prematurely, and was needed to be put in one so that she can be look after with great care.

It was an agonizing week, waiting and worrying about their sole grandchild, but now they can finally smile brightly once they landed their eyes on the little baby in her mother’s arms.

“She’s beautiful, Tiffany.” Taeng’s stepmother was the first one to speak, beside her was his father who was equally entranced by the presence of the newborn.

Taeng took the baby from his wife carefully, he was new to it, but he was doing good. “Do you want to hold her, Umma?”

His stepmother nodded and smiled gleefully. Taeng kissed the baby softly before transferring her to his stepmother’s arms.

“She’s a lot bigger than I last saw her.”

Taeng smiled proudly, “She gained weight and grew a few inches.” He took a step back and wrapped his arm around his wife, before giving her a kiss on her temple.

It was an exhausting experience for them, they were so scared and terrified when the doctor told them that they can’t yet hold their child and had to be put in an intensive care a week ago. But they managed to pull it through by being each other’s strength and kept strong for the sake of their baby.

“Do you have a name for her?”

Taeng nodded. “Pumpkin. Kim Pumpkin.”

His parents’ eyes grew wide, and they had a shocked look on their faces.

Taeng got his punishment when his wife elbowed him in the guts. He groaned in pain, muttering complaints softly.

“Kim Eun Ae.” The new mother was the one who answered this time.

“What does it mean?”

“Grace with love.” Taeng stated with a proud smile on his face. They’ve come up with the name after spending a few hours in the labor room, waiting restlessly and painfully, when finally the baby was presented to them. They were instantly charmed by her presence.

“That’s a beautiful name.” A different voice cut in. It was Taeng’s father who was had been quiet. “Can I hold her?”

“Of course, Dad. Greet your granddaughter.”

Taeng’s stepmother put the baby in her husband’s arms gently, still keeping her hands under his. She knew that he was not good with babies since the last time he held one was his own son, Taeng.

“Hi, Eun Ae. I’m your Grandappa.” The baby finally opened her eyes and smiled contentedly at her grandfather. “Tae,”

“Yes, dad?”

“I take it back.”

“What?”

“You’re not the most beautiful baby I’ve seen. She is.”

Taeng laughed. “Well, at least it stays in the family.” He turned to his wife and kissed her, grinning at her after the kiss.

“What?” She asked, confused by her husband’s stare.

“You’re still the most beautiful person I’ve seen.”

Tiffany giggled and slapped his arm playfully. “Stop being a cheeseball, you’re a daddy now.”

He smiled gleefully. “I’m still your Taetae.”

She was happy to hear that. She leaned closer and placed a peck on her husband’s lips. “I hope so. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

 

***

 

“Well hello there my princess.” Taeng took the baby and gave little kisses, making her squirmed in his arms. “I miss you so much.” He gave a long kiss on the little one’s forehead.

Tiffany huffed and pouted a little for the lack of attention from her husband. “Why are you late?” She crossed her arms.

“There were contracts needed my approval.” He nonchalantly said, his eyes were still on his baby girl. He failed miserably to notice his upset wife.

She sighed and walked to the table they were assigned to.

Taeng followed his wife and took a seat next to her. He put the baby on his lap and made cute faces to her. The baby smiled and laughed along to her father’s actions.

Tiffany watched the interactions exchanged between the two people she loves, it was endearing but she couldn’t help but to feel a little bit jealous. She wished her husband would spare a little attention to her too.

“Taeng, finally you decided to show up after all.” Dennis patted his back. “Thought you wouldn’t come.”

“Sorry, mate. Work held me back. But I wouldn’t miss this. Congrats on your marriage!”

“Yeah, I can finally join the married men's club right? Yul has always brag about it.”

“Oh, is there such thing?” Taeng chuckled when his friend showed a disappointed look to him. “Sure, Dennis. We would welcome you with open arms.”

Dennis laughed and nudged his friend for teasing him. “I think I’ll join the daddy’s club soon too.”

Taeng raised his eyebrow. “Are you expecting?”

Dennis nodded and broke into a grin. “2 months and counting.”

“Yah! That was fast!” His voice was a little loud that it startled his little girl. “Woops, sorry princess.” He rubbed her back and calmed her down.

“Why did you think we got married earlier than planned?” He smirked.

“I didn’t know it was because of that.” Taeng chuckled. “Anyway, congrats again!”

“Thank you, Taeng. I can’t wait to be a father.”

“You should be excited, she’s the best thing ever happened to me. Nothing even compares to having her in my life. ” He smiled sincerely and pecked the baby in his arms. “Right, Pumpkin?”

The baby giggled when his father nuzzled his nose with hers.

Tiffany frowned. Her disappointment was growing bigger than before especially when she heard her husband’s words. Don’t get her wrong, she loves her daughter, a lot, it’s just that she would like it if she remains number one in her husband’s heart. Like he had once said before the baby’s presence in their life. It doesn’t seem like it these days. She wasn’t so sure if she was anywhere in his mind or in his heart anymore.

“I’ll see you in a bit, Taeng. The Missus is calling.”

“Sure, send her my congrats too.”

Dennis nodded and went towards his bride, who was calling him to greet her friends.

Taeng continued playing with his baby girl, tickling her and making her laugh. He would pepper her with kisses to entertain her. He really misses the little one. After a whole day stuck in the office, going through exhausting meetings and schedules, he was looking forward to meet his loved ones at the end of the day. That thought reminded him of his other love.

Taeng finally turned to his right and frowned when he saw an empty seat. He was pretty sure that his wife was just sitting there a while ago. He looked around the ballroom to find her, but to no avail. He stood up and walked towards his friends that were chatting in a corner.

“Hey, guys.”

“Oh, Taeng. Did you just get here?” Jessica asked Taeng.

“Yeap. Came straight from the office.”

“You worked too much, Taeng. Take it easy.”

“Can’t do. Have so many deadlines to meet. We’re expanding, you know.” He said calmly. “Anyway, have you seen Tiffany?”

 “Weren’t she with you?” Sunny interjected.

“Yeah, but she disappeared on me.”

“Maybe she went outside for air. You should check up on her, she’s been quiet all day.”

Taeng raised his eyebrow. “She was? I thought she loved weddings.” He specifically remembered how excited his wife would be whenever they went to their friends’ and relatives' weddings.

“I know, right? I guess she’s a little tired. Eun Ae has been cranky all day.”

Taeng looked at the baby in his arms, narrowing his eyes. “You seemed fine to me.” The baby giggled. “Why are you giving a hard time to your mommy huh?” He made an angry face to discipline her, but it only made the baby giggled more. “Haish, you’re not even scared of me.” He pinched the cheeks of his little girl.

“How can she be scared of you? You’re practically her age too.” Jessica friend.

“Yah, don’t mock me.” Taeng protested. “I’m trying a new method here. I’ve read that children are more obedient if they have parents that can understand them or see eye to eye with them.”

Yul scoffed. “You’re off to a great start then, since you’re already their height.”

Taeng glared at his friend. “Thanks, Yul. Thanks.”

“You’re welcome, Taeng daddy.”

“This is why you don’t have children yet.”

“Hey, we’re still young. We wanted to enjoy our honeymoon as long as we can.”

“You’ve been married for years. Time for kids, Yul.”

Yul stuck his tongue out. “We’re not in a hurry, right baby?”

“Actually, seobang. I’ve been thinking..”

“What? Baby, you’re the one who said that we’ll wait for the right time.”

“Yes, and I think that it’s time. I mean, I want what Taeng and Tiffany have. A complete family.”

Yul smiled and pecked his wife’s lips. “Then, that is what you’re going to get.”

“You mean it?”

“Of course, babe. I’ll give you anything you want.”

His friends started to make out while Taeng stood there awkwardly with a baby in his arms. He cleared his throat, interrupting the couple. “Okay, before you start making a baby right here, here’s one for you.” He handed his baby girl to his friend. “Look after her for a bit. I’m going to look for her mommy.” He pecked his daughter’s forehead before walking away from his friends.

“Yah, what if she cries?”

“Don’t make her cry then.” Taeng said nonchalantly, he was already walking toward the door, heading out to look for his wife.

Yul stared at the baby awkwardly. It was not that he scared of kids, in fact, he’s usually good with them but this particular baby is different. She would always end up crying whenever he carries her.

“Baby, can you hold her instead?” He tried to hand the baby to his wife.

Jessica rolled her eyes before taking the apple of Taeng’s eyes from her husband. “Why are you scared of her?”

Yul breathed out in relief when the baby was taken away from him.

 “I’m not. It’s just that, I don’t want her to cry.”

“She won’t cry if you’re more confident in handling her.”

“I am confident.”

“No, you’re not. You always tensed up. Babies can detect it you know, whether you’re comfortable or not.”

“And how do you know so much?” He raised his eyebrow.

“I’ve been reading books. Why are you still awkward when we always babysit Eun Ae for them?”

“Yes, but it’s different okay. Eun Ae is a weird baby. One minute she’s giggling, next thing you know, she’s crying her eyes out.”

It was like the baby knows that they were talking about her when she suddenly screamed in protest.

They were surprised, and Jessica was quick to comfort the baby. “You’re making her angry.”

“She understood that? Wow!” He was impressed. “You really are Taeng’s daughter.”

Jessica rolled her eyes. “I hope ours won’t inherit your intellect.”

“Yah, what is that supposed to mean? I’m smart okay.”

“Smart? Tell that to your History teacher.”

“It’s not my fault that I have a bad memory, okay? But I’m good in everything else.”

“You failed your geography paper.”

“Again, bad memory. And I passed the finals right?”

“Keyword here, luck.”

Yul stared at his wife indifferently. “Well, I just hope our future children wouldn’t have your attitude.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” She glared at her husband.

“Exactly how you think it means.”

“Kwon Yul.”

“Yes, wifey?”

They stared at each other murderously before a chuckle was heard from the baby. They looked at the little one and saw her smiling brightly at them, showing her eye smiles that she inherited from her mother.

Yul felt his heart was struck with the smile. Strangely it reminded of his wife and the happy moments he’s been through. Not a single happy memory in his life that hasn’t had his wife in it. He looked at his wife, the love of his life, and saw her with the same fascinated look on her face.

“Sorry babe. I’ve gone too far.” He leaned in and pecked her cheek. “I just want our baby to be healthy and beautiful like you.”

Jessica nodded meekly. “I’m sorry too. I hope our future children would inherit all your qualities. The very reasons that made me fall in love with you.”

He grinned. “I love you, Kwon Jessica, future mother of my children.”

“I love you too, Seobang.”

“Let’s make lots of babies together.”

“YAHH!”

 

***

His wife was acting so weird the past weeks, she wouldn’t smile at him like she used to, and would act cold whenever he was home. He acknowledged that it was his fault for his recent habits such as appearances at events, last minute cancelling plans and dates, and coming home after midnight.

But he didn’t understand why she would make a big deal out of it and was bent on making it into the topic of their arguments, especially the part where he comes home late. It was like an occupational hazard. It comes from the position he now hold in his company. She should be used to it, he argued since they are now married for almost 3 years.

He knew she was mad again, but he didn’t want to argue about it again, so he ignored his wife angry glares earlier.

Honestly, he misses her so much. He wished they would stop the fights already and just cuddle and make up.

 

“There you are.  I’ve been looking everywhere for you.”

Tiffany turned around, facing the person who just joined her. “Is Eun Ae’s crying? She’s hungry again?” She said, knowing that could only be the reason why her husband was looking for her this urgently.

Taeng walked towards his wife and stood in front of her, observing her. “She’s fine. She’s with Yul and Jessica.”

“Oh, okay then.” She turned back to admire the night sky above her.

“What are you doing out here alone?”

“I just need some air.” She said honestly.

“Is everything okay?” He asked carefully after finally noticing his unhappy wife.

Tiffany shook her head, keeping her eyes on the stars above. “Everything’s fine.”

“Are you tired? Sica told me that Eun Ae’s giving you a hard time the whole day.” He said concernedly. “We can go home if you want to.”

“I’m fine.”

Taeng frowned when Tiffany didn’t even bother to turn around to answer him. He wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, and put his chin on her shoulder.

“What’s wrong? You can tell me about it, you know.”

Tiffany was shocked from the sudden embrace; she was immediately melted by the warm gesture. She didn’t answer him instead, she leaned back and kept quiet, enjoying the sweet moment that she rarely has with her husband. She misses him a lot, but she didn’t know how to tell him that. She can’t exactly tell him to stop working and just spend time with her at home.

“I miss you, Fany.” Taeng whispered lovingly into her ears, and tightened his arms around her.

Tiffany was again surprised by his actions, she could feel a surge of emotions attacking her from the inside now.

Taeng felt something wet dropped on his arms, he looked up at the sky and spoke again. “I think it’s going to rain soon, let’s get back inside.” He retracted his hands and stared at his wife’s back, waiting for her reaction. “Fany?”

“You go ahead, I’ll be right behind you.”

“Are you sure? Eun Ae’s probably looking for you too.”

“Yeah, I just need a moment.”

“Alright, I’ll be in the hall.”

She heard the door opened and shut again.  She heaved a relief sigh, glad that her husband was gone for now. She sniffed, and wiped her tears quickly, getting rid of evidences that she has cried just now. After collecting herself, she turned around and was shocked when she saw the figure by the door.

“Why were you crying?” Taeng asked while walking slowly towards his wife, his eyes were soft and full of concerns. “Are you sick?” He placed his palm on her forehead.

Tiffany brought the hand down and shook her head. “I’m fine.”

“Do you want to go home?”

“No, let’s just go back to the wedding, okay?” She shrugged him off and walked towards the door.

Taeng caught her wrist and pulled her back to face him. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

“I told you everything’s fine.”

“Fany..”

“Eun Ae’s probably crying right now. She’s having a little fever. Let’s go back okay?” She tried to get her husband to agree with her, using their daughter’s name.

“We’re not going anywhere until you tell me why you were crying. “ Taeng said seriously, his eyes boring into hers.

Tiffany looked down, avoiding his intense stares.

A knock on the door pulled them out of their gaze and they saw a head peeking in. “Didn’t mean to interrupt you, but Eun Ae’s crying again. And Yul Hyung is panicking as we speak.”

Tiffany was relieved for the interruption, she was already turning on her heels to attend to her daughter but the grip on her wrist tightened when she was about to take a step. “Taetae, Eun Ae’s crying.”

“I meant what I said. Tell me now.” He said sternly, with no signs of backing down.

“But…”

“We’ll be right there, Huihoon. Close the door, please.” Taeng said seriously towards the boy who was still poking his head out.

“Hurry up, Hyung. Yul Hyung might pass out again.” Huihoon said before closing the door, giving the married couple a moment.

“So?”

“I told you there’s nothing wrong.”

“Then why were you crying?”

“I was not.”

“I saw your tears, Fany.”

“It’s the rain.”

“Fany…” He warned her. “You know I hate it when you lie to me.”

Tiff

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter