Setback

You're Not Sorry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sir, it seems to me that your guest had left the house on foot.”The house butler said breathlessly.

“What?!” Both of the Kims yelled out shockingly.

“I tried to stop her but she just ignored me, sir. I’m very sorry.”The old man apologized to his employer.

“It’s not your fault.”

Taeng who heard of this new information, stood up from his spot.

“Where’re you going, Tae?”

“I’m going to look for her, Dad.”

“Do you even know where to look for her? It’s dark outside.”

“I don’t know, but I’ll try my best. I’ll be fine, Dad.”

“She must not be that far. Hurry and bring her home. I owe her an apology.”

“I will dad.”Teang immediately went out of the house after getting his father's approval. He looked around the mansion’s front porch but there’s no sight of her. He opened the mansion’s gate and looked for her outside on the streets. He kept on running and calling for Tiffany’s name hoping that she’ll hear him.

After 20 minutes, Taeng finally saw a figure walking ahead of him. He slowed down his pace, afraid that she’ll start running if she heard him coming. Only when he got close enough he called out her name.

“Tiffany...”

Tiffany stopped dead on her tracks. She was just going to start running again, but then she heard him speak.

“Please, don’t run again. You know I won’t stop looking for you.”

“Just go home, Taeng.”Taeng heard Tiffany’s cold reply. But her voice was different. It was a little bit huskier than usual.

“I will, if you come home too.”

Tiffany scoffed; still have her back at Taeng. “I don’t have a home, Taeng. Remember?”

“Tiffany, please. Just come with me. I’ll take you to your house.”

“It’s okay, I can take a bus.”

“There’s no bus here at this time.”Taeng tried to argue.

“I’ll just have to walk then.”

“Don’t do this to me. You know how worry I’ll get if you’re out here walking alone.”

“Then, stop worrying about me. I’m a grown up and can take care of myself.”

“I can’t. I know that you can take care of yourself, but it’s dark here. You don’t even know the way.”Taeng moved closer towards Tiffany slowly.

“Don’t come to me.”Tiffany immediately said when she detected Taeng’s presence approaching her.

“Just let me take you home.”Taeng moved quickly in front of Tiffany stopping her from taking another step. He held on Tiffany’s shoulders to keep her from running away.

“Let me go, Taeng.”Tiffany struggled with his grip. She desperately avoided his gaze and looked away from him. Frustrated, Taeng turned Tiffany’s face to face him and saw something in her eyes that he never wanted to see ever again. Her eyes were full of despairs and miseries as her tears gathered and fell down her face. She was crying, her tears were streaming down her face uncontrollably. Taeng cupped her face to take a better look at her face.

“I’m sorry, Tiffany.” He threw his arms around her right away, embracing her in his arms. He rubbed her back slowly trying to sooth Tiffany. But that only caused her to cry even more, her knees gave in, as she broke down and sat on the ground pulling along Taeng with her.

“Hey, just let it all out.”Taeng cooed her.

“I miss him, Taeng. Even after all he did. I still miss him. What’s wrong with me?”Tiffany choked out while holding Taeng’s arms a bit tighter.

“He’s still your father. Of course, you’ll miss him, Tiffany.”Taeng whispered in her ears.

“I hope he’s here now, even if just to beat me up for crying again. I want to see him.”

“Don’t say that, I won’t let that happen to you.”He replied quickly. He could not stand to see Tiffany getting hurt physically or emotionally ever again.

After an hour sitting there, Tiffany finally stopped crying and fell asleep in Taeng’s arms exhausted from all the crying. Taeng adjusted her position carefully and started to carry her back to his house. When he got home, his parents hurried to him and saw him carrying Tiffany.

“What happened to her?”Taeng’s father asked him eyeing the sleeping figure.

“She was exhausted and fell asleep.”

“Oh, bring her to the guest room for a proper rest.”Taeng’s father was getting ready to call the butler when Taeng spoke again.

“Can she sleep in my room tonight?”

“What? No, Tae. It’s not appropriate for a girl to sleep in a guy’s room.”

“I won’t do anything, I promise. I’m just afraid she’ll run away again, tomorrow.”He tried to convince his father.

“Just let him, honey. Taeng won’t do anything to her.”Taeng’s stepmother backed up Taeng.

“Fine. Don’t sleep in the same bed with her. Sleep on the floor or something.”He said sternly, still worrying about the fact that a girl and a boy shouldn’t sleep in the same room.

“Yes, Dad.”Taeng left his parents and went up to his room. He put Tiffany on his bed gently and took off her shoes for her. He then grabbed a wet towel and clean Tiffany’s face with it. He tucked Tiffany inside the duvet carefully not to wake her up and went to turn off the lights.

“Goodnight, Tiffany.”Taeng whispered to her ears and gave a kiss on her forehead.

 

Tiffany woke up the next day with swollen eyes from yesterday’s crying. She felt better though; all her emotions were let out last night. It’s been a long time since she cried her eyes out. She stared long at the ceiling remembering last night incident and Taeng’s comfortable warmth. When she finally realized that she’s in an unfamiliar room and on someone else’s bed, she sat up and looked around the room. Her eyes caught the sight of Taeng’s sleeping on the ground with just a pillow under his head. She shook his head and muttered ‘Pabo’ quietly.

She sneaked out of the room, not wanting to wake Taeng up and went downstairs. She was planning to leave the house when a voice interrupted her.

“I hope you’re not planning to leave again.”

Tiffany turned around and saw Taeng’s stepmother crossing her arms.

“I’m sorry about last night, Mrs. Kim. I was not myself.”Tiffany bowed remorsefully.

“You don’t have to apologize. I knew my husband’s questions were hard for you, I’ll apologize instead. He’s just curious and blunt sometimes.”

“He sounds a lot like Taeng.”Tiffany muttered under her breath.

“They’re more alike than they know. Come dear, let make breakfast for you.”

“But, I don’t..” She was still feeling awkward with Taeng’s parents and was afraid that she was going to get interrogate again.

“You don’t have to worry, my husband is at work.”

“But, I have to go now, Mrs. Kim.”Tiffany politely refused.

“If you leave now, I’ll take it personally at heart.”Taeng’s stepmother threatened her.

“Breakfast it is, Mrs. Kim.”Tiffany agreed not wanting to offend the woman.

“You know, I have always wanted a child on my own so that I won’t feel this lonely when my husband at work.”Taeng’s ste

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter