Closer

You're Not Sorry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week has gone by since Tiffany’s incident, but the words didn’t spread around. Taeng asked the principal to only keep it between them and the police. He didn’t want to make things worse for Tiffany. Mr. Grant had been fired from his job and his teaching license is suspended. The students, all transferred to another school as they were going to get expelled if they stayed at the school. Tiffany and Taeng have started to grow closer too. She finds it easier to talk to him nowadays, and tell things to Taeng. Since Taeng wasn’t needed at the office at the time, Taeng started to drive Tiffany to work and when she got off work too. Tiffany refused at first, but when Taeng brought up Tiffany’s incident, and make a fuss about it, she gave up and let him be. Tiffany just got off work, and as always, he’s waiting for her outside the cafe just on time.

“How’s work?”Taeng asked while opening the passenger door for Tiffany. She was used to it by now, Taeng said it’s just chivalry.

“The usual. The boys gave Unnie’s headache too today.”Tiffany smiled and got into the car. Taeng got on the other side after he shut Tiffany’s door and drove away.

“Those boys are really hyper. Except for that tall kid. He’s a good one.”

“Seonghwan? Yeah. But he started to doze off on the job too.”

“Really? What has he’s been doing?”

“He said something about finishing his new song.”

“Oh, he’s a songwriter? Cool.”

“Maybe you can give him advices, Taeng?”

“What? I’m still a small one, Tiffany. I can’t give him anything.”Taeng shook his head.

“Come on, just a talk between a senior and his junior. Give him a pep talk. He’s been down these days.”

“Am I supposed to be a motivator now?” Taeng raised his eyebrows.

“You’re my motivator. Please, Taeng?”Tiffany smiled her eyesmiles at him trying to make him do what she asked.

“Aish, fine. I’ll drop by tomorrow.” Taeng could never refuse her eyesmiles and always succumb to her requests.

“Thank you, Taeng.”Tiffany smiled again. Taeng just shrugged it off. After he dropped off Tiffany at her house, Taeng drove to his home.

“Welcome home, Young Kim.”The butler greeted him.

“Thank you, did my parents arrive safely from their trip?”Taeng asked the butler.

“Yes, they did. They just got in an hour ago.”

“Good. I’m off to bed now. You’re dismissed.”

“Sir, your father wanted to see you tomorrow. He wants to see you the first thing in the morning.”

“Fine. I will. Goodnight, Ajusshi.”

“Good night, Young Kim.”

 

Taeng overslept because it was the weekend and only woke up when it was in the evening. The butler woke him up because his father requested for him. He panicked; he even forgot to send Tiffany to work today. He looked for his phone, and typed a message.

Sorry, I overslept. Did you go to work safely?

A minute passed, and Taeng got the reply back.

That’s okay. You’re a sleepy head on weekends. Yeah, I took the bus.

Taeng smiled at his new nickname. He typed back a reply.

Sleepyhead? That’s my new nickname? Well, it’s better than being a shikshin everyday.

Moments  have passed, and Tiffany didn’t reply to his message. Thinking that Tiffany must be busy with work, he got up from his bed and went to look for his father.

“You wanted to see me, Dad?”Taeng asked when he finally found his father and his wife in the house’s garden drinking tea.

“Yes, sit down Tae.”Taeng’s father gestured for him to take a seat next to him, but Taeng took the one opposite of him. Taeng’s stepmother poured tea for Taeng and smiled at him.

“What do you want to talk about?”

“I heard you’ve been giving trouble to your Uncle at school.”His father spoke then took a sipped of his tea.

“Trouble? I don’t think so.”Taeng replied calmly.

“What about that fight then? You beat up a teacher and three students.”

“That was a self defense. Did Uncle tell you the whole story?”Taeng was furious. He clenched his teeth after he finished talking, remembering how he found Tiffany.

“He did tell me everything. But you know it’s wrong to beat people up.”Taeng’s father tried to test Taeng’s patience. He knew all about it, and he was curious what Taeng’s reaction will be if he pushed on it.

“Then, you knew they deserved it. Hell, I’ll beat them up if I ever see them again.”Taeng clenched his fist tightly.

“Language, Tae. I thought this was about that girl. Why are you getting so worked up about it?”Taeng’s father tested again.

“She’s my friend.”

“Friend? She’s not even your girlfriend, Tae.”Taeng’s father said purposely emphasizing the word girlfriend.

“She’s important to me. And I’ll do anything to protect her.”Taeng said sincerely while looking straight at his father’s eyes. They stayed quiet for a while before Taeng’s father spoke again.

“Well, you should’ve said that in the first place. What’s her name?”Taeng’s father broke into a smile along with his wife. They both looked at Taeng expectantly.

“What?”Taeng was confused with his father’s behavior. He thought he was getting scolded for causing trouble again.

“What’s her name dear?”This time it was Taeng’s stepmother who asked him.

“Tiffany Hwang.”Taeng finally answered.

“That’s a beautiful name.”Taeng could only nod to this.

“I heard you’ve been driving her to work too, Tae?”Taeng’s father interrogated him again.

“Yes, Dad. She works at Boa-Noona’s Cafe.”

“Oh, why is she working? Isn’t she too young?”Taeng’s stepmother asked.

“She’s living alone currently, and trying to pay her bills with the job.”Taeng answered honestly. Taeng knows what his father was thinking and was quick to add. “And no, Dad. She’s not taking advantage of me. Everytime I offered help to her, she’ll refused. She only agreed about me driving her to work because I kept on pestering her about it.”

“You sound like her boyfriend already, Tae. Are you sure you’re not?”

“Yes, Dad. But she is someone I care about.”He said seriously. “ A lot.”

“Very well, son. If you said so. But you can’t expect me to take just your words, right?”

“Honey..”His wife called him. He just ignored her.

“What do you mean?”

“Bring her home for dinner tonight.”

“What?!”Taeng was shocked.

“You heard me, Tae.”

“But, she won’t agree to it, Dad.”

“You haven’t even asked her yet.”

“I know her. We’re just friends, Dad. Why would you even want to meet her?”

“You said she’s important to you. Besides, I have to make sure for myself what kind of person hanging around my only son.”Taeng’s father was determined to meet Tiffany.

“Fine, Dad. But I can’t guarantee you she’ll come.”

“That’s good enough for me.”Taeng’s father smiled at him. Taeng was more confused at his behavior. Just th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter