My last night with them/That book…

Tell Me Goodbye
Tell me goodbye
Chapter Forty-Two
My last night with them/That book…

[DAESUNG‘S POV]

[flashback/dream]

I sat in my bed, the room filled with darkness, I could see the moon outside of my room, it was cold because it was raining tonight.
I hid under my covers and stayed away from the thunderstorms that were looming outside of my house.

When the flash of lighten light up the whole place and I jumped out of my bed and ran out of my room crying.
I was only 4...Of course I would be scared of thunderstorms.
Who wouldn’t be…

I was crying out for my mom.
“Mommy! Mommy!” I got no answer and then finally the door opened and my mother walked out, I ran into her arms and she picked me up.

“Oh baby…what is the matter?” she asked me as she hugged me.

“The bad thunderstorm outside is scary mommy.” I said tears coming out of my eyes still.
She hugged me tighter.

“Let me tell you what. You can sleep with me and daddy tonight okay” She said smiling. I nodded and she brought me into her room and closed the door.
I was placed on the bed and crawled up next to my dad who was reading a book, he closed it and looked at me. He smiled..

“Oh Daesung…did the thunderstorm scare you again?” he joked. I just nodded.
“Alright…come here.” He said holding up the blankets for me to get under. When I did my mother got under them too.
My father went back to reading his book. “Hunny, its almost midnight. I think you should be getting some sleep. You have to meet that guy tomorrow remember.” She said looking at my father.

He sighed. “Yeah…I know.” he muttered and put the book down.

“Daddy…what are you reading.” My dad looked at my father and made a face that said ‘Haha I’m not going to bed now’
She sighed and laid down and closed her eyes.
“Well Daesung this book is called ‘Tell me goodbye’ its about this young boy who was involved in this mafia after his parents were killed. The mafia leader found the young boy crying surrounded by his two dead parents, blood everywhere. He took that boy in. He was only 4 years old.-” I interrupted my dad.

“Like me. I am 4 years old daddy” I said smiling.
He nodded at me and smiled.

“Well that mafia leader who took that boy in cared for him as if he was like his father, until he was killed by another mafia leader. His son took over the mafia and the little boy was continuing being lied too, even though the two boys befriended each other, the newly mafia leader never told a thing about what happened” He continued telling me the story.

“That is horrible.” I softly said.

“I know it is.” My father sadly said.
“But then when this young boy was about 21 years old he started to figure out the truth more, he fell in-love with this girl but their love was forbidden and they were separated. The boy was ordered to do all the dirty work for his old ex-friend killing people, kidnapping them, all sorts of stuff. When he was ordered to go spy on this guy who owed him money, he true intentions was to get the girl. The guy went through a lot of trouble to get the money for the mafia leader and the mafia leader to promised to leave him and his girl alone. But he lied and the young boy and another guy went to the house and took the girl. When they got back, the young boy was angry that he had to do this and confronted his boss. He told him ‘I don’t want to do this know more’ and the mafia leader smirked at him and told him how his father killed his own parents and how he helped to do it. The boy was angry. He was lied to for years and years.” he continued on.

“What happened after that daddy.” I asked him.

“Well, the boy threatened to kill him, until one of the mafia girls knocked him out. He was unconscious for days and when he finally woke, everything changed a little bit. He wasn’t angry, but he was still mad at the fact that he was lied to for so many years. Days have passed and then weeks the girl that was held captive the boy felt sorry for. He went to her and apologized and tried to help her escape, but the mafia guy found out about it and stopped him, he got in a lot of trouble but he had let it go. Then one of the days when the guy whose girl was taken away from him got angry and called the mafia leader threatening him, the mafia leader told him to meet at a special spot and he told the mafia leader that he is sending the cops over to his house right now. That’s when he called for the young boy, his friend and the girl who knocked out the boy earlier, to go and transport the girl who was kidnapped, but the young boy had a personal moment talk with the girl who he use to love before he went. As he left the mafia leaders sister went up to him, they had a talk with her brother, the mafia leader guy apologized to her for everything he had done and when he got back that everything will change and be better, that she could love whoever she wants, as they said their goodbyes. His sister started to cry and yelled out ‘Don’t tell me goodbye!‘ he looked at her and she continued to speak ‘It’s always a see you later’ he smiled and walked out…” My dad answered me.

“Was that the end?” I asked him.

“No. there is more Daesung” my father smiled.
“as the mafia leader was leaving the police showed up, he pulled out his gun as he walked to his door and started to fire the gun at the police, he got in his car and started to drive off, the police continued to fire at the car, the main detective stood out side of his car and fired his gun at him. The mafia leader ran his car into the detectives car and looked up. The detective looked at him and pointed his gun at the mafia leader, he shot through the windshield but the leader guy ducked down. He backed up and pulled away.
Meanwhile as the young boy and his friend are transporting the kidnapped girl the police got on their tails, they got closed in with the cop cars blocking both ends of the street, they got out of the cars with their guns and started to fire at them, the bullets whizzed past them.
Then it goes back to the mafia leader where he made it to the spot where he was to meet up with the guy whose girl they took away. There they talked for a moment before the blood shed begun. It goes back between each scene. The one with the young boy and the one with then mafia leader. It stays with the mafia leader where the battle is coming to an end. The mafia leader had the guy pinned on the ground and pointed the gun at his head. He was just smiling at him. The guy tried to reach for his gun and was able to grab it, he kicked the mafia leader away from him and they both stood up, they pointed their guns at each other. Staring in each others eyes. On the count of three it was over, the mafia leader shot and the guy ducked down and shot his gun, hitting the mafia leader in the chest. He fell down, the guy ran up to him and the mafia leader looked at the guy, he held his had up, blood coming out from his mouth he looked in the guys eyes and…” my dad stopped right there, he looked at me, I fell asleep.

Though I could somehow here him, I didn’t know what happened at the end of that story. I wish I had the book to read.
My dad smiled at me and turned off the light. That was the last time I ever saw my parents alive.
The next thing I remember was hearing screams.

That’s when my nightmare started.

I woke up and I didn’t see either one of my parents in the bed, I slowly stood up, I saw the book that my dad was talking to me about on the night table next to the bed. I walked out of the room and then down the stairs, the screams getting louder. The thunder storm still going crazy outside.
“Mommy? Daddy?” I called out. But got no response.
When I got down stairs the screams stopped

All I saw was two bodies on the floor, covered in blood, the front door was opened and the rain was pouring down.
I walked to the middle of my parents and sat there.
I looked over at my mom.
“Moma?” I called out softly. Tears began to well up in my eye.
I looked over at my dad, and reached out to him. Remembering him telling me the story about the boy who was in the mafia, after his parents were killed. I began to cry even harder and harder.
I then heard someone walk inside the house, I didn’t even look up.
The guy picked me up and I held onto him.

I didn’t realize that the guy that I clung onto…
Killed my own parents.

How could I have been so stupid.