Give It A Rest

Master of Disguise

“I’M SO SORRY EUNJI-AH.”

“It’s okay Jihyun-ah, everything is going to be okay.” Eunji awkwardly patted Jihyun’s back, trying to comfort the wailing girl.

It had been a surprise to Eunji when Jihyun threw her arms around her and started sobbing uncontrollably. At first Eunji was terrified that her plan was discovered and she was mentally preparing excuses. But nothing prepared her for when Jihyun choked out, “I’m sorry, but L.Joe is cheating on you.”

Eunji had been in a state of utter shock, startled by the girl’s comment; and Jihyun, who mistook Eunji’s silence for pain, sobbed even harder.

Snapping out of her daze, Eunji’s panic decreased—but only by a little—things weren’t going according to plan and that wasn’t a good thing. After some quick thinking, Eunji half dragged-half carried the sobbing girl to a quiet table, at the edge of the cafeteria were Minho started rubbing Jihyun’s back and murmuring soothing words.

“H-He seemed like such a nice guy,” whispered Jihyun, finally starting to calm down. “I didn’t think he’d ever cheat on you. You’re such a-a—”

Eunji’s eyes tightened as Jihyun momentarily blanked out—not being able to find a compliment suitable for Eunji— before hurriedly mumbling, “—a thoughtful person. And he seemed to genuinely like you, so I assumed—”

“Jihyun,” Eunji gently cut her off, a sombre look in her eyes. “Liking someone isn’t enough to marry them.”

Jihyun blinked back tears as the words sunk in. “You’re right,” she whispered hollowly. “Liking someone isn’t enough.”

“But still!” Jihyun’s eyes fiercely lit up. “It wasn’t right for him to just go behind your back like that! He should have told you.”

“Don’t worry about that,” Eunji dramatically cracked her fingers. “That bastard will have every single bone in his body broken.”

Jihyun cracked a smile. “I can help you—”

“EUNJI WHAT’S WRONG?!”

The air was—once again—knocked out of Eunji’s lungs as a pair of arms threw themselves around her from behind, completely catching her off guard.

“Can’t—breathe—let—go!” She choked out.

“I WAS SO WORRIED WHEN JIHYUN TEXTED ME AND TOLD ME THAT YOU WERE HURT—Yah, why are you turning blue? Eunji-ah?”

Eunji made flailing motions with her hand, and the individual finally let her go.  Eunji placed her hands on her knees, panting a bit, before sharply turning around.

“What the heck do you think—Onew?”

Onew’s eyes filled with concern as he scanned Eunji’s body, looking for a wound. He quickly filled the gap between Eunji and him, and ran his hand frantically over her head, feeling for a bump.

“Y-Yah!” Eunji swatted his hands away, her cheeks flushing red. “What are you doing?”

Onew blinked back, confused. “A-Aren’t you hurt? Jihyun told me—”

Onew broke off as Jihyun burst into giggles, her eyes softening as she watched Onew interact with Eunji.

“—am I missing something?” Onew looked from Eunji face palming herself, to Jihyun smiling in amusement, to Minho looking equally dumbfounded.

“I meant that she was heartbroken not wounded.” Murmured Jihyun, wiping off her dried up tears.

Onew slowly turned to Eunji who was possibly fuming with anger. She doesn’t look heartbroken. “Who…broke your heart?”

“My fiancé,” Emphasized Eunji, rubbing her temples in frustration. “Is cheating on me.”

Onew’s eyes doubled in size and he immediately shook his head, “But I didn’t cheat—”

L.Joe is my fiancé!” hissed Eunji, her eyes flashing dangerously.

“Oh,” Onew took a moment to let the news sink in before smiling widely. “Good.”

Eunji face palmed herself as Jihyun got up from her seat and placed her hand on Onew’s arm, reclaiming his attention. “Oppa, can we talk?”

Onew hesitated as he glanced at Eunji uncertainly.

Can you make this more obvious? She rolled her eyes and made a shooing gesture with her hands.

“O-Okay,” Onew’s lips jutted out in a pout, disappointed that Eunji wasn’t telling him to stay. Because he wanted to stay near her; especially now that she was “heartbroken”.

“We’ll be right back,” Jihyun smiled cheerfully as she dragged Onew towards the mall’s exit.

“So…” Minho awkwardly glanced at Eunji before clearing his throat. “I’m sorry about your fiancé.”

“Whatever,” Eunji waved her hand dismissively, not bother with a heartbroken façade.

“You know,” Minho peered at her curiously. “You look like someone I know.”

Eunji nonchalantly examined her nails, her heart skipping a beat. Crap. “I get that a lot.”

“No really, you look just like him.” Minho was startled by the resemblance. “Your names even sound alike. Do you—?”

“You like Jihyun, don’t you?” commented Eunji, stunning Minho into silence. The best defence, is an offense.

“I—I—”

Eunji glanced at her watch regretfully, I should have told Onew to stay.

“S-She’s just a friend.” Minho finally managed to mutter, his cheeks flaming red.

Eunji raised her eyebrow, “That’s not what Jonghyun told me.”

Minho clenched his eyes shut as he pinched the bridge of his nose, “Jonghyun is a complete idiot, and needs to watch his tongue.”

Eunji’s lower lip twitched. I completely agree.

“Are you sure you don’t have a brother? Maybe a twi—?”

“THERE HE IS!” A movement from the other side of the cafeteria caught Eunji’s eyes and she eagerly jumped out of her seat.

“Who’s—?”

Minho didn’t get a chance to finish his sentence, because Eunji was already marching towards the far end of the cafeteria, on the outside of a store, where a group of girls were all gathered.

“—so, should I go with the purple plaid button down shirt or with the plain V-neck white shirt?”

  “The plaid one looks so much better on you oppa.”

NO. He looks better in the white shirt—because all it takes is a little bit of water to make it see through.”

“But the plaid one brings out his eyes.”

“He doesn’t have purple eyes!”

“How about neither?” snapped Eunji yanking both shirts out of Jonghyun’s hand.

Jonghyun pursed his lips, contemplating her words, before slowly nodding his head. “It’s true, I do look better shirtless, but unfortunately we live in a society where a person like myself—who has an amazing body—needs to cover up, or he’ll end up distracting everyone.”

“Or possibly repulsing them,” snorted Eunji, throwing the two shirts on a neaby rake where all the girls leaped towards them and fought over them.

Jonghyun’s eyebrows scrunched together and his eyes tightened. “You look familiar, do I know you?”

Eunji pinched the bridge of her nose and took a deep breath in. “Jonghyun, I am seriously going to kill you.”

An uncertain look crossed Jonghyun’s face, and before he could mutter a single word, Eunji grabbed her hair and held it up behind her head.

“EUNJIN?” Jonghyun’s jaw dropped wide open and he took a step back, running his eyes disbelievingly over Eunji’s figure.

“Yes you idiot,” snapped Eunji, glaring at him as she dropped her hands to her sides. “Didn’t I tell you NOT to bring Jihyun to Gangnam Mall?”

“Crap,” Jonghyun winced as he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. “I thought you wanted me to take her to Gangnam Mall.”

Eunji took a deep breath in, counted to ten, and whispered in the calmest voice she could muster, “Jonghyun, you don’t realize how much I want to strangle you right now.”

Jonghyun waved his hand dismissively, “Don’t worry it all worked out in the end didn’t it?”

Eunji’s eye twitched, “Worked out? You screwed everything—”

“Isn’t that Minho?” Jonghyun interrupted, his gaze locked on Minho, who was sitting all alone on a bench, at the far edge of the cafeteria.

“Why isn’t he with Jihyun?” asked Jonghyun, his forehead creasing.

“Because,” grumbled Eunji, emphasizing each word with extreme annoyance. “Jihyun is with Onew.”

“Oh,” Jonghyun blinked twice, started by this—dare he say it—unexpected outcome. “That IS a problem.”

“No kidding, the whole point of this was too—” Eunji suddenly broke off as her phone vibrated in her pocket. “What now?” she mumbled, pulling her phone out in exasperation.

Sorry Eunji, Onew and I had something urgent that we needed to do. Sorry for leaving so suddenly— Jihyun.

“I’m almost afraid to ask this—but is everything okay?” Murmured Jonghyun, wearily watching Eunji’s crestfallen face.

Why didn’t Onew text me? Why is SHE texting me instead? Dammit I should have never told him to go with her. Pabo.

“Jonghyun-ah!”

Jonghyun turned around and immediately glared at the intruder. You.

“What kind of man are you?” hissed Jonghyun, pointing his finger at Minho’s nose.

Minho scoffed and slapped Jonghyun’s hand away. “What are you talking about now?”

“You’re disgraceful,” snapped Jonghyun, throwing his hands up in the air. “I leave you alone with her, expecting you to seduce her and next thing you now she’s behind the mall talking with Onew.”

“Actually,” grumbled Minho bitterly. “They left somewhere together.”

Jonghyun stiffened. The color left his face as he slowly turned around, “T-They left together?” Crap.

“Yup,” interjected Eunji, angrily shoving her phone into her purse. “Your plan went worked perfectly Einstein.”

Jonghyun cringed, “Dammit I didn’t expect that to happen. But you know what? We can follow after them—by tracking their location through a phone call—and then splitting them up by—”

“Yah Jonghyun,” Eunji bitterly glanced around her. “Give it a break.”

Jonghyun opened his mouth then shut it, stunned.

“I have to go home and get dressed for a family dinner, see you later.” Eunji slid her sunglasses on and stalked past the speechless Jonghyun, and out the mall, feeling completely dejected.

“Hey Jonghyun, doesn’t she look familiar?” Mumbled Minho when Eunji was out of sight. “She looks a lot like Kim Eunjin, doesn’t she?”

“THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!” Exploded Jonghyun, kicking Minho in the shins. “If you had been a real man you would have taken Jihyun for yourself.”

“Ow!” Minho doubled over in pain, clutching his foot. “What are you talking about?”

Jonghyun is lower lip and closed his eyes, trying hard to concentrate. Think Jonghyun, think.

“That’s it!” Jonghyun’s eyes flew open and a slow smile formed on his lips. Jonghyun pulled out his phone and started walking towards the Mall’s exit.

“W-Wait, where are you going?” demanded Minho, straightening up.

 

“To fix up my mess.”

 

 

 


Looks like Jonghyun really screwed things up...badly. I think (for the first time) I feel sorry for Eunji >< poor thing, she really did try. (Although she's tired, she's not the type to give up-so let's await her comeback).

The biggest questions here are: WHERE DID ONEW AND JIHYUN GO? WHY DIDN'T HE TEXT EUNJI? AND WHY CANT JONGHYUN WALK AROUND SHIRTLESS?-Erm, the last may not be that big of a concern ^_^

Xoxoxo