One Step Ahead

Master of Disguise

“WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU WEARING?”

Eunji rolled her eyes, stalked past her repulsed grandmother and into the house. “Nice to see you too Grandmother.”

“You can’t possibly think you look good, can you?” Grandmother followed Eunji into the living room, her sharp heels clicking behind her.

Eunji collapsed onto the chair and winced. “God that was painful.”

Grandmother stood in front of her in a simple, knee length black dress, with large silver hooped earrings and red stiletto heels.

Eunji raised her eyebrows. “Do you need something?”

Grandmother’s eyes tightened. “Go change.”

Eunji held her gaze, a challenge in her own eyes. “I like my outfit.”

Grandmother ran her eyes over Eunji’s black dress pants, sleeveless white dress shirt and pulled back pony tail. “You look middle class,” she spat in revolt.

Eunji smiled sweetly back. “Thank you.”

Grandmother clucked her tongue in disgust before glancing in the mirror and reapplied her red lipstick. “By the way, invited a couple of your friends.”

Eunji stiffened and she sent Grandmother a suspicious look. “What do you mean?”

Grandmother smiled darkly. “You don’t know? I—”

The shrill sound of the doorbell ringing interrupted Grandmother.

“Ohh that must be the guests,” Grandmother chuckled darkly before sending Eunji an innocent smile. “Be a darling and greet them for me Eunji. I think I want to change back into that red dress I had on earlier.”

Eunji’s eyes narrowed into slits as her grandmother skipped up the stairs and disappeared out of sight. What is that lady planning?

Not thinking much of it, Eunji dragged herself to the front door and yanked it open, a forced smile on her face. “Welcome to—”

“EUNJI?!”

“ONEW?” She hissed, watching Onew stiffen and attempt to yank his arm out of Jihyun’s grip.

“Ommo, you guys know each other?” Jihyun tightened her hold around Onew’s arm, refusing to let him remove it, and dragged him into the house.

Eunji sent him a dark look. “No I have absolutely NO idea who THIS GUY is.”

Onew’s eyes widened and he frantically shook his head, worried she was upset with him. “I sent you a text thirty minutes ago telling you that I had to go to —”

“Aish,” Eunji waved her hand dismissively. “That doesn’t count, my phone died.”

“But how is that MY fault?” Whined Onew, pouting innocently.

Eunji’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “Everything is your fault.”

“What’s his fault?” piped Jihyun, only catching the last part of the sentence.

Eunji sent her an annoyed look before slamming the door shut and gesturing for them to move into the dining room.

“I assume you don’t need me to help you find a seat,” muttered Eunji, watching Jihyun and Onew exchange confused looks.

“Go sit down for heaven's sake! The faster we do this, the faster you leave.”

Jihyun cocked her head to the side and ran her eyes critically over Eunji’s outfit. “For a waitress you have good taste.”

Eunji stiffened and her hands tightened into fists. “What did you just say?”

Onew frantically stood in front of Eunji and sent Jihyun a strained smile. “She’s Miss Kim’s granddaughter.”

Jihyun gasped and covered in embarrassment. “Oh I’m so sorry! I didn’t know—”

The doorbell rang again.

“Ugh!” Eunji angrily yanked the door open and snapped. “What the heck do you—?”

A soft chuckle sounded, followed by a teasing “Honey is this how you greet your guests?”

Eunji cursed under her breath as L.Joe stepped into the room, an amused smile playing on his face. “You really should check who’s there before yelling at an innocent guests.”

Eunji massaged her temple and counted to ten before talking. “Just come in before I change my mind.”

“L.Joe?”

Onew glanced at L.Joe in confusion. “What are you doing here?”

L.Joe blinked twice, startled to find Onew there. But that confusion quickly melted away when he saw a girl linking her arm through Onew’s.

“Perfect, I see you guys have already met.”

Grandmother appeared behind Onew, a mischievous smile on her face.

“No, we haven’t officially met,” mumbled Jihyun shyly, bowing politely to Eunji’s grandmother.

“Oh my, Eunji darling you really should have done this earlier,” scolded Grandmother, sending Eunji a dark smile.

Eunji’s eyes tightened. She planned this.

Grandmother gestured to Jihyun and Onew. “These two are Lee Onew and Park Jihyun. They will be getting married in two weeks. And these two—”

Grandmother’s lips curled up into dark smile. “These two are Kim Eunji and Lee Byunghyun. They will also be getting married in two weeks.”

A delighted sound escaped Jihyun’s lips and she smiled brightly at Eunji. “Congratulations!”

Onew on the other hand paled and sent Eunji a flustered look. “M-Married?”

“Yes,” chuckled Grandmother, watching Onew’s face twist in pain. “Lee Byunghun is my granddaughter’s fiancé. Isn’t that wonderful?”

Eunji’s eyes sized in on her grandmother and she sent her a dark look. She was one step ahead of me…

 ...Just wonderful.


 

Aigoo a double update ><

LOOKS LIKE THE GRANDMOTHER OUTSMARTED EUNJI ^^ Should we keep score? Eunji-0 Grandmother-1 xD

Poor Onew, he had no idea that Eunji was 'engaged' to L.Joe. He MUST be in shock- DARN THAT GRANDMOTHER!