Strange Turn of Events

Master of Disguise

Onew’s POV

I groaned and rolled over, staring groggily at my alarm clock. 7:30 AM

I pushed myself into sitting position and winced. Why am I waking up so early on a weekend?

A gentle smile formed on my lips. Oh that’s right. I promised Appa that I would meet with him today.

My eyes wondered to where Eunji was sleeping peacefully. If someone saw her now, they would think she was an angel.

I recalled last night, when she stubbornly mumbled ‘good night’. I couldn’t resist myself from giving her a kiss on the cheek.

I chuckled. This girl is driving me crazy.

My phone vibrated on the desk. That must be Appa.

I threw the covers off and quietly stumbled out of bed, making sure not to wake Eunji up with my clumsiness.

*************************

“Onew!”

I turned around and there he was, siting by a table at the SonE café. With short black hair, a sharp nose, round cheeks and a defined Adam’s apple, the man sitting before me could have been mistaken for me.

“Appa!” I called out, waving at him.

My dad glanced up and his face immediately brightened.

He hastily got out of his seat, and without meaning to, spilled his coffee all over the floor.

“I-I’m sorry!” he blurted to the waitress as his cheeks flared in embarrassment.

I chuckled quietly as I reached his table. “Yah Appa, you’re still as clumsy as ever.”

Just then the waitress appeared with a new cup of coffee for my dad. I reached out and took it from her. Somehow, the cup was still a tad wet and it ended up slipping from my fingers, and splattering all over the floor.

“It takes one, to know one.” Snorted my father, silently laughing at me.

Now it was my turn to blush in embarrassment. “S-Sorry!”

The waitress forced a smile and stiffly grabbed a mop, wiping away the mess.

My father patted the chair beside him, urging me to sit down.

“How was your day?”

I rolled my eyes. “It just started.”

He chuckled and his eyes twinkled at the comment. “You’re still as witty as ever. How was your day yesterday?”

Eunji’s sleeping face popped into my head and I blushed. “It was fine.”

My dad nodded his head, seeming a bit distracted.

 “H-How is mom?” I asked hesitantly, not wanting to ruin the mood with such a heavy topic.

My dad closed his eyes and sighed. He suddenly looked twice his age.

“S-She’s not doing well?” I asked, my voice coming out as a whisper.

My dad opened his eyes; they were filled with nothing but sadness. “The doctor says that after two more surgeries she will be fine.”

I gulped. “Two more?” Can she handle them?

My father’s face clouded. “The surgeries shouldn’t be too severe on her. But—”

“Can we afford them?” I pressed, interrupting him.  I know dad’s bakery isn’t doing so hot right now.

My father averted his gaze. “That’s what I came to speak to you about today.”

I furiously nodded my head. “I’ll help in any way that I can.”

My dad looked up, tears in his eyes. “I know I have no right to ask you this, but please in order to save your mother I need you to—”

 

Eunji’s POV

“Kim Eunji, if you do not fix up your posture this instance I will permanently fix it for you.”

I shuddered at my Grandmother’s threat. This is all Onew’s fault! If he hadn’t left me this morning, I wouldn’t have been stuck lazing around my room. And if I hadn’t been lazing around my room then my dad wouldn’t have insisted that I visit my ‘dear, old’ Grandmother.

“Are you listening to me young lady?”

I straightened up and smiled, “Yes.” I held my tongue as the word “ma’am” almost slipped out.

She rolled her eyes, “Very well, I wouldn’t want you to embarrass me in front of the other ladies today.”

I groaned. She’s inviting people over?

Just then the doorbell rang and Grandmother’s scowl vanished.

“It’s show time,” she sang.

I got up from my seat and went over to the door, knowing fully well how Grandmother expected me to greet the guests.

I smiled as a couple of elderly woman walked into the house. I greeted them politely and waved them over to their seats.

“I wish my granddaughter was this helpful,” Cooed an elder lady as she smiled at me appraisingly.

I held back a snicker. Lady, you have no idea what I am going through.

Thirty minutes later, I found myself going back and forth between the ladies. Some wanted a drink, while others wanted appetizers. This was getting out of control. What am I, a waiter?

I clenched my teeth. “Grandmother, I think I should go back—”

The doorbell rang, interrupting my escape plan.

“Oh will you get that dear?” murmured Grandmother, obviously dismissing me.

I huffed in annoyance and marched right up to the door and yanked it open.

“Oh!” the girls gasped, as she stumbled into the house.

When we locked eyes it was my turn to gasp.

Seohyun? What is she doing here?

She straightened up and cocked her head to the side. “You look familiar. Have we met before?”

I slowly shook my head. “Sorry you must be mistaken.”

“But—”

“Late again Seohyun?” sneered Grandmother, staring at the girl in annoyance.

Seohyun’s eyes widened and she bowed apologetically. “Sorry Madam, I was—”

“Don’t waste your time telling me a lie,” snapped Grandmother as she her heel and left.

Seohyun’s shoulders sagged, disappointment evident on her face.

“Don’t take it to heart, she’s always grumpy.” I mumbled, startled by Grandmother’s outburst.

Seohyun forced a smile on her face. “It’s okay; I’ll try better next time.”

I rolled my eyes. “Why do you even bother?”

Seohyun turned to me with wide eyes. “Don’t you know? She’s in charge of recruiting people for this year’s ‘Seoul art show’. A person who has their art work hung there is destined to become a great artist.”

“Well good luck trying to impress her.” I snickered.

Seohyun’s eyes flared. “I did impress her, she really—”

“Posture ladies,” taunted Grandmother, walking back towards us, wine glass in hand.

I rolled my eyes, but complied.

“Ah, Seohyun, your boyfriend is the son of Lee Minhyuk, the man who runs Seoul’s biggest telemarketing company, isn’t that right dear?” Grandmother’s eyes twinkled as she stared at Seohyun.

Seohyun’s smile disappeared and she lowered her gaze. “W-We broke up,” she muttered in a quiet tone.

“Oh, what a pity,” mumbled Grandmother, her lips curled up into a smile.

I blinked twice. Why would she care who Seohyun dated? And is it just me, or did she sound happy that they broke up?

Seohyun nodded her head and forced a smile on her face.

“By the way Seohyun, your art work last week was…beautiful. How would you feel about presenting your art at the Seoul art show?” murmured Grandmother, smiling wickedly.

Seohyun’s face transformed and she smiled brightly. “Oh I would love to!”

Grandmother smirked. “Perfect.”

I didn’t miss the calculating look that Grandmother sent my way. Nor did I miss the way she smiled victoriously, as if she had accomplished something big.

My eyes tightened and I stared at her for a second.

What are you planning Grandmother?

 

GYAH~ I bet a lot of you are wondering, “What’s going on with Onew’s Appa?”

LOL I actually love his dad. I can imagine him with similar qualities like that of Onew. Aka---his clumsiness. What Onew’s Appa tells him will remain a mystery for now, unless Onew chooses to reveal it.

And then we have her.

The Grandmother.

*shudder* I won’t even comment on her. I’ll leave it for you guys to guess what this granny is scheming up, and it aint pretty xD

Xoxoxo

Miss-Sweetheart