Chapter 8

Guardian of Hell & Guardian of Hell 2: From Hell To Heaven

“Jess…” Krystal sat beside her sister who was hugging her knees and suffocating with her own tears. “Jessi… come on… cheer up.” She hugged Jessica around her shoulders. “It’s been a week already. How long are you going to be like this?” She tried, but failed just like many times before. She sighed in defeat and left Jessica’s room.

Right after she got out of the old temple, she looked above into the sky and said. “Tiffany, I need to talk to you, can you come down here?” she said. She was sure Tiffany hears her and will come as soon as possible, if she’s not doing anything important. And she was right. In a blink of an eye Tiffany was standing beside her.

“Anything new?” she asked immediately.

“Nope,” Krystal shook her head as she fanned herself with her hand. That dust really is annoying. Tiffany just sighed.

“We have to do something with it… She hasn’t left her room ever since that incident.”

“I know. She keeps crying… She refuses all kind of help, she ignores me. It’s still the same, I can comfort her, I can yell at her, but neither works. She just cries and cries… It makes my life more complicated.”

“Oh, year, you’re right,” Tiffany realized. “Who’s guarding the gate?”

“Well, I am, of course. But when I visit Jess or when I wanna take a rest or something’s up, Taeyeon helps me.”

“Tae-who? Somebody else knows? You told her? Why?”

 “Taeyeon?” Krystal looked surprised. “You seriously don’t know Taeyeon? She’s like… Jessica’s best friend.”

“No, I’m her best friend,” Tiffany objected immediately and Krystal rolled her eyes.

“So second best, who cares? I told her, because Jessica trusts her. She already saved my sister’s several times before, when she let the gate unguarded.”

“And this … Tae… Tae. Can’t she persuade Jessica? I think I could succeed, but I can’t go down there just like that, without permission.”

“Taeyeon is completely helpless too. But Tiffany, that’s not why I called you…”

“So?”

“We have to do something. Asmodis can’t find out and let me tell you, if Jessica’s going to continue with this whining of hers, he will notice soon or later. We can’t let him know, because he would find out Jessica let out the secret and he would hurt her. Really. Badly. That can’t happen.”

“I agree. But why exactly did you call me?”

“I have a plan. Little bit complicated and there’s one big but.”

“But…?”

“It won’t work.”

 

Tiffany had to agree with Krystal. Her plan is completely insane and there’s no way, they could possibly succeed.

She was sitting into her room back in Heaven with her lovely, innocent roommate Seohyun. She was taking care of this cute girl for a while by now. Seohyun was lying on her bed, studying. She was still a rookie, but definitely a very capable one. Unlike Tiffany, she wasn’t born as an angel. She became one after she died in a car crash few months ago. Because she lived her life right and helped lots of people, she got an opportunity to guard them even after her death. But she still didn’t pass an important test all angels who used to be humans have to pass, so her magical power was minimal.

Tiffany trusted her, but she wasn’t sure whether she should ask or rather do not risk and stay quiet. If they’ll have enough angels and demons on their side, there would be at least some hope for Krystal’s crazy plan. But who can they trust? Asmodis can’t know, so that means Dominus can’t know as well.

“Seohyun-ah, listen…”

“Yes, unnie?” Seohyun looked at Tiffany.

“You’re my friend, right? I can trust you?”

“Sure unnie. I’m always here for you.”

“If I tell you something… even though it’s a bad thing, against all rules… you promise you won’t tell anyone? Will you help me?”

“Unnie, you always helped me. If I can, I will help you.”

Tiffany took a deep breath before shortly telling her roommate Krystal’s plan. “So will you help us?”

“Unnie… there’s no way, you can succeed.”

“We can… no, we will… we just need more people.”

“But… unnie… this is not just fight against the Hell, but also against the Heaven.”

“You know what? Just forget it,” Tiffany regretted she asked that girl.

“Unnie, no. Wait… I know it’s stupid, but… I will help you. But there’s no way, we could make it alone… Did you ask Gyuri unnie?”

“No and I don’t want to. I’m already sick of stealing her mirror every time I need something. And I’m pretty sure she hates me for that.”

“Well, I can’t guarantee anything, but I think I could help. I can ask her, if you don’t want to. And also you could try Seungyeon unnie and maybe Hyomin unnie. Oh, yeah, and Jieun.”

“Jieun? You mean the new girl? The one everybody calls UI?”

“It’s IU, unnie. And yes that one. She’s my friend, I trust her.”

“Thank you Seohyun, really thanks a lot.”

Seohyun just smiled. “Go to Seungyeon unnie and Hyomin unnie. I will talk to Gyuri unnie and Jieun.”

 

“Thanks a lot, Sulli, you really are the best friend ever,” Krystal said into her cell phone which she was holding between her cheek and shoulder, while she was writing down an address with black marker on her forearm. “And please tell Siwon I’m really thankful.” She hung up and looked at the address on her arm. She smirked as she walked in the right direction. Now she knows where the infamous Kwon Yuri lives and all thanks to amazing boss of a police IT department Choi Siwon who is by coincidence also her best friend’s brother.

Yuri’s house was quite near, so Krystal arrived few minutes later and even managed to make another call meanwhile.

She knocked and before somebody could get the door she put on her best smile. The one who opened was Yuri herself. Her hair was a mess, she didn’t wear any make-up and she was in a dirty grey shirt and some old torn shorts. Her eyes were red and swollen. She looked really pale and she probably lost some weight. Who knows when was the last time she took a shower or when was the last time she even slept.

“What do you want?” her voice was really husky, probably due to dehydration. She rubbed her forehead as she tried to focus on Krystal. She winked and gasped when she recognized her. “You- you- you are that nosy kid from the cemetery!” Yuri wasn’t sure whether she should be scared or not.

“Yeah, well, that would be me.” Krystal was slightly offended, but she decided to let it go.

“What do you want from me?” Yuri asked, obviously not very pleased.

“I’m here because of my sister.”

“Well, I don’t wanna hear that. I’m not interested. You are the same freak as she is! I have nothing to do with you, just leave me alone!” Yuri wanted to close the door, but Krystal stopped her with her palm. She maybe wasn’t as powerful as her sister, but she was still strong enough to surpass any human.  “Yah!” Krystal ignored Yuri’s complains and looked around. Crap! Where the hell is that girl? She called her ten minutes ago, so she should be here by now.

“Yuri… wait a minute,” Krystal’s voice sounded a little bit appealing. “You have no idea, how much my sister suffers. She’s just crying and crying. She’s been crying her eyes out for a week already…”

 “It’s none of my business.”

“…she neglects her obligations…”

“Devil’s obligations.”

“…she refuses any company and doesn’t talk to anyone…”

“Still none of my business.”

“…she loves you and she can’t live without you! I’m afraid, she might even kill herself because of all this”

“And it’s still none of my business!!!” Yuri was almost yelling. She couldn’t get over the fact Jessica is not a human being, but if she could really kill herself… No, Yuri didn’t like it at all.

Krystal looked around one more time. Then she finally spotted her. Chinese girl heading their direction.  Her long brown hairs with bangs and her skirt fluttered in the wind. “VICTORIA!” Krystal yelled and waved. The Chinese girl saw them and brightly smiled. Then, even though she wasn’t wearing high heels, but just ordinary sneakers, she tripped and fell on the ground. She hissed in pain, but got up back on her feet almost immediately. “You okay?” Krystal asked.

“I’m fine,” Victoria answered. Her accent was really strong, but her Korean was understandable.

 “Yuri, let me introduce you somebody,” Krystal looked back at Yuri, who kept quietly watching the other two. Victoria slipped on the third stair of house’s staircase, but Krystal managed to grab her before she could fall on the ground once again. “Be careful, Vic.”

“I know, I know…” Victoria looked at Yuri. “I’m Victoria.”

“Yuri.” Yuri examined Victoria from head to toe and she couldn’t miss red stain on her knee. “You’re bleeding…” she stated. Then she looked at Krystal and her bright but fake smile she has been practicing for a few weeks already. She inferred these two are not dangerous. Well, that Chinese girl is probably dangerous to herself. Yuri nodded. “Fine… Just… come inside…”