Chapter 27

Guardian of Hell & Guardian of Hell 2: From Hell To Heaven

“Choi Sooyoung.” Sooyoung turned around and spotted this one girl. She knew her, but she wasn’t really sure why. She always gets confused when it comes to angels. They’re all the same for her. Well, except for Tiffany and Sunny.

“Yeah, do you need anything?” she asked, smiling a bit.

“I need to talk to you, it’s about Sunny,” the girl said and that was the moment Sooyoung remembered. Sunny’s guardian, the one who interrupted them last time.

“Oh, Hyomin,” she mumbled as she remembered her name.

“Yeah, could we please talk somewhere more private?”

Sooyoung nodded. “Lead me. I’m still not very familiar with this place. Everything looks the same here.”

Hyomin sighed. “Aren’t you doing this job for like two years already?“ she asked while leading Sooyoung into her room.

“So what?” Sooyoung shrugged.

“Nothing, just saying…”

They entered Hyomin’s bed and sat on the bed.

“So what’s up with that short bunny?”

Hyomin laughed, but the laughed sounded a little bit bitter.

“Okay, I won’t beat around the bush and I will just say it right away…” Hyomin took a deep breath. “What is going on between the two of you?”

“We’re friends… why?” Sooyoung frowned.

Hyomin sighed again. “Well… I… I like her, okay? I really do and I want to make sure there’s nothing going on between you and her,” she admitted and her cheeks turned red.

Sooyoung laughed. “There’s nothing going on between us, really. We’re just… friends,” she added. She was being honest, but her face visibly darkened as she mumbled the last word.

Hyomin smiled brightly. “I’m happy to hear that. So… can I make my moves on her?”

Sooyoung didn’t answer. She just kept staring somewhere on a white wall behind Hyomin.

“So?” Hyomin waved her hand in front of Sooyoung’s face. “Earth to Sooyoung! … Wait, that’s not right… Heaven to Sooyoung! Are you okay? You look a bit pale…”

“Oh, yeah…” Sooyoung blankly looked at Hyomin. “Yeah, sure… okay.”

Hyomin smiled even more. “Really? Thank you!” she said happily and ran out of the room leaving there Sooyoung on her own. The devil kept staring at the wall with no expression. She blinked few times. It was like she realized everything only now. “But… but you can’t… Hyomin, you can’t…” she mumbled. “You can’t… because… I… I love her…” Suddenly she jumped off the bed with a terrified expression. “What have I done??!!”

 

“Why the heck isn’t she waking up?” Krystal asked, irritated. They have been staring at unconscious Hyoyeon for the past two hours. “Can’t you just wake her up using your spells? Or maybe I can…”

“Yes, I can, but it’s useless, because if she’s still exhausted she will faint again before she will be able to tell us anything. Duh. Think, little Jung, think!”

“Yeah, that’s true,” Jessica nodded, so Krystal was forced to agree.

“But Taeyeon, I’m telling you, tie her up or something. I don’t trust her, she might be dangerous,” Krystal insisted. “She’s working for him. You don’t know; she might be faking…”

“I don’t think so… She seems too sincere. And she has no chance against all of us,” Taeyeon shook her head and touched Hyoyeon’s forehead and brushed her bangs.

“Yah! Don’t touch her like that!”

“Oh,” Taeyeon looked at Tiffany, smiling. “Sorry. I just wanted to know her body temperature.”

“Yeahh… Just don’t do it.”

Taeyeon nodded, smiling nervously. “Heheheh, sure thing,” she said, but Tiffany was still giving her that slightly stabbing look.

“Guys, she’s waking up I think,” Yuri spoke up.

“Oh,” Taeyeon was about to slap Hyoyeon’s cheek, but she stopped half way and looked at Tiffany.

“Geez,” Jessica rolled her eyed and did it instead of the mistress. “Jealous freak,” she mumbled. “Wake up!” she said loudly then to the half-unconscious girl.

Hyoyeon slowly opened her eyes and looked around, obviously confused and maybe a little bit scared.

“Can you hear me?” Taeyeon asked.

Hyoyeon slowly nodded. “I…” she whispered.

“Here,” Jessica passed her some water.

Hyoyeon nodded again and took a sip or two. “Thanks…” she said huskily.

“So?” Tiffany spoke up.

Hyoyeon lifted her head and looked around. “Why is.. why is she… holding…” she pointed at Krystal.

“Krystal!” Taeyeon shouted.

“Whaaat?”

“Where did you get that dagger? Why do you even have it?”

“I’m just being careful,” Krystal stated matter-of-factly, playing with the dagger.

“Put it away Krystal.”

“You’re the boss here,” Krystal shrugged and put the dagger back into the sheath, but she still held it in her hand.

“Kids these days…” Taeyeon mumbled. Then she looked at Hyoyeon. “How do you feel?”

“Surprisingly… not that bad… You… you saved me.”

 “Yup, I guess we did… What’s you name? Who are you?”

“My… my name is Hyoyeon.”

“Hyoyeon, fine. I’m-“

“I know…” Hyoyeon interrupted. “I know a lot about all of you. He… he told me.”

“Kim Bum, right?” Jessica asked and Hyoyeon nodded. “You know what’s he’s up to?” Hyoyeon nodded again.

“I…. I will tell you… everything,” she whispered.

“How do we know she’s telling the truth? Do you have some kind of Veritaserum?”

“This ain’t Harry Potter, Krystal,” Tiffany said, irritated, while the rest had obviously no idea what are they talking about.

“I… will tell you the truth.”

Taeyeon nodded. “Yeah, we would appreciate that.”

 

Yoona groaned, frustrated. “I don’t know! She yelled suddenly, desperate. She was trying to read one of those never-ending books, but she had no idea what’s the book all about, she just couldn’t focus at all.

“God damn it!” she cursed. “Wait…” she looked around. “Angels can curse, right?” she asked aloud. “Well… I’m not an angel yet,” she shrugged then. “So I guess at least I can.”

She sighed. “I need some fresh air. Heaven has awesomely clean air… It’s giving me a headache actually, I miss the polluted air of Seoul,” she mumbled as she left her room.

Right when she closed the door and turned around, she spotted into a weird-looking tall girl nearby. Yoona assumed she must be a demon, just like Jessica. The girl was all in black and her eyes weren’t purple. That girl looked rather confused and she was acting weird. She looked… desperate. Yoona frowned. Something must have happened to that poor girl.

“Hey, are you okay?” she asked bluntly.

“I… I… Yeah…” the girl answered.

“What happened to you? Maybe I could help you… My name is Yoona.”

“I’m… I don’t think you can help me…”

“Well, we can give it a try, dear I-don’t-think-you-can-help-me.”

The girl slightly smiled. “Sooyoung.”

“So, Sooyoung? You can tell me, if you want to. If you don’t want to, never mind then.”

Sooyoung looked at her shoes, sighed and remind quiet. Yoona sadly smiled and was about to leave, but then Sooyoung’s hand she felt on her shoulder stopped her.

“Wait… Maybe… If I told it somebody… Maybe I’d feel better.”

“Okay,” Yoona smiled again, this time more happily. “You can tell me, I will keep it for myself. I promise.”

“Well…” Sooyoung looked around to make sure there’s nobody who could possibly listen to them or just overhear them, before she quietly started. “I…just realized I’m in love with my friend,” she admitted.

“I see…” Yoona nodded. “But isn’t it a good thing? What’s the problem?”

“I just sent her to another person. I thought it’s fine, I thought I will be happy if she will be happy… But then I realized I hate the fact she would date somebody. Well, except for… me.”

“Maybe it’s still not too late. Go to her and tell her everything. You don’t know, she may be feeling it the same way. You have nothing to lose.”

“I could lose our friendship…” she mumbled and shook her head. “I can’t… I can’t just run to her and shake her body while yelling ‘I love you, I love you’.”

Yoona suddenly froze. She just had a short flash back. Sooyoung noticed and waved her hand in front of Yoona’s face. “Are you okay? You spaced out.”

“O-oh… y-yeah, sorry.” Yoona smiled and then nodded. “Actually, yes. I think you should do something like that. But don’t shake her body, be more gentle,” she said, her eyes still fixed somewhere on a wall behind Sooyoung.

Sooyoung frowned. “I will… think about it.” She sighed. “I actually feel a bit better after telling you. But I don’t know… I still feel down… That awkward moment when you realized you’re in love with your friend after you set her up with somebody,” she laughed bitterly.

Yoona just blinked with a blank expression on her face.

“Well, are you okay?” Sooyoung asked, worried. “You actually look even more lost than I am.”

“I… I think I just remembered something very important. Thanks a lot, but I need to go,” Yoona blurted out quickly and literally ran away, leaving Sooyoung standing there in the middle of an empty hall completely alone and confused.

“You-you’re… welcome?”

 

Yoona ran to the main hall, hoping she would found there what she was looking for. Or more specifically who.  She remembered. That girl, Sooyoung, helped her remember. It was just a short flashback, she couldn’t recall any detail and it was all hazy, but she knew… Now she knew… She ran through empty corridors, thinking it’s really ridiculous there’s suddenly nobody around. There are usually few angels passing around, but right now, there was none.

When she reached the main and biggest hall, she finally saw some people. A lot actually. Many angels that were doing several things. Some of them were reading, talking or waiting for something or somebody.

Yoona looked around. And the n she spotted her. Seohyun. Seohyun was standing there, saying something to some guy. She was frowning and had a package of chips in her right hand. Yoona realized she probably confiscated it and now she’s giving him a lecture about unhealthy food. She sighed.

“Seohyun,” she spoke up quietly as she reached her best friend.

“Oh, unnie! Just a second okay,” Seohyun smiled and looked at the guy again. “Look oppa, I know it’s hard and I know you’re already dead, but you really should eat things like this.”

“Okay…” he mumbled looking at his shoes. Seohyun gave him an encouraging smile before he walked away. Then she looked at Yoona.

“Did something happen? Do you need my help?”

“Hyun…” Yoona suddenly hugged her tightly. Seohyun gasped as she was caught off guard. She hesitatingly hugged her back.

“W…why suddenly…?”

“I remembered.”