Chapter 31

Guardian of Hell & Guardian of Hell 2: From Hell To Heaven

Sunny was pacing back and forth in her room. It was already a week since she saw Sooyoung or Hyomin last time. She was worried about Sooyoung. Maybe the food poisoning got worse?

She sighed. She needs to distract herself. She decided to do some work. Gyuri gave her some paperwork to do and she hasn’t touched it yet. Gyuri always gives her only paperwork. She was supposed to go through some old folders and get rid of those who aren’t needed anymore. It’s like the most boring work ever. And Sunny soon found out it’s not really that distracting as she hoped it would be.

“Gah!” she couldn’t take it anymore. She did only like ten folders and she couldn’t continue anymore.  Her mind was occupied with… Sooyoung.

She went outside and sat in the main hall. She sat there for an hour or two, not doing anything, just staring at the wall in front of her. Then she sighed and took Tamagotchi out of her pocket.

“Long time no see, my little baby.” A small giraffe appeared on the small screen. And also its name appeared there. Sooyoung…

 

Yoona was studying hard. Seohyun kept forcing her to read and Yoona didn’t really like that. She pouted and closed the book.

“What are you doing, unnie? You haven’t finished it yet, have you?”

“No, I haven’t,” Yoona shook her head.

“Unnie!”

“Hyun, listen to me,” Yoona grabbed Seohyun’s hand.

“But-“

“Please, just listen to what I have to say.”

Seohyun nodded after a few second of hesitating.

“Seohyunnie… You and I… We are… you know… dating.”

Seohyun blushed. “I-I-I know,” she stuttered.

“Good… So maybe we should… stop studying and just… date sometimes too.”

“But you have to study,” Seohyun opposed.

“I know and I will, but sometimes I need to take a short break and I want to spend those breaks with you, my girlfriend.”

Seohyun blushed even more. She still wasn’t really used to their new relationship status and she wasn’t sure how to react.

“Seohyun…” Yoona sighed. “Think. You’re a smart girl. What happens to a brain when it doesn’t rest enough?”

“It… gets tired.”

“And?”

“Eventually stops working…”

“And about memorizing things…”

“You won’t memorize anything,” Seohyun admitted.

“You see?”

“But you’re an angel! It takes weeks for your brain to get tired!”

“I’m not a full angel yet… and… how many days straight I have been reading already?“

“A week?” Seohyun answered hesitatingly.  

“So?”

“I think you should take a break for today,” Seohyun gave up.

“Yay!” Yoona shrieked in excitement. “Come with me! I wanna take a look around the heaven, I haven’t got any chance walk around yet. I was reading all the time.”

Yoona kept holding Seohyun’s hand as they left the room for their first official date.

 

Two angels, holding hands, were slowly returning to their rooms. They were talking quietly, smiling happily. Then they reached Yoona’s room. Well, Seohyun’s room was right next to Yoona’s, but they were in from of Yoona’s door.

“I guess… I should go back and read.”

“Nah,” Seohyun shook her head. “You can continue tomorrow.”

Yoona smiled. Seohyun too.

“Ahem…” Seohyun coughed a bit awkwardly after a few second of complete silence. “So… good night I guess, I guess…”

“Yeah, good night.”

Seohyun turned around and was about to leave, but Yoona stopped her by grabbing her wrist. She gently turned her back. Seohyun looked surprised.

“Unnie?”

“Sorry, I just have to,” Yoona mumbled, before she leaned in and pressed her lips against Seohyun’s right cheek. Then she giggled and quickly disappeared in her room. Seohyun just stood there, dumbfounded and blushing madly. She touched her cheek on the place when Yoona’s lips met her skin.

“U-unnie?”

 

Finally they met. The tall demon was finally back in her work, doing her regular errands in Heaven and the short angel has already finished her paperwork, stopped gaming and left her room to look around. And they met.

When their eyes met, they both froze on the spot. There was around four meters long gap between them. And they just kept staring at each other with no expression.

They had no idea what the other one is thinking for a while Then Sunny sadly smiled. Sooyoung saw and hesitatingly took two steps forward. Seeing Sunny didn’t move, she slowly continued approaching the angel. The gap was getting smaller. Sooyoung stopped only when they were less than a meter apart. Sunny still had that sad smile on her face and she still didn’t move an inch. Sooyoung considered it good sign. She gulped and continued staring into Sunny’s eyes. She opened like she was about to tell something but no words came out. Sunny shook her head, telling Sooyoung not to break the silence between them. So Sooyoung didn’t.

They were standing there, just looking at each other, maybe read each other minds. Many minutes passed, maybe an hour, maybe two.

Then Sunny took the remaining step forward and grasped Sooyoung’s wrist. She still didn’t say a word, she just pulled Sooyoung away…

 

The mute scene continued even in Sunny’s room. Then, finally, Sunny said something. And Sooyoung didn’t understand it at all. “You’re my giraffe.”

Sooyoung winked. “Well, that’s not exactly the sentence I was hoping for…” she said, confused.

“I love my Tamagotchi,” Sunny continued, confusing Sooyoung even more.

“Uhm, yeah. I know.”

You look underweight.”

Sooyoung really didn’t know what’s going on. “Well, you still owe me food, remember our deal?”

Sunny ignored her question. “I heard you had a food poisoning.”

“Yeah, but I’m fine now.”

“I was worried,” Sunny continued in her monotone voice.

“You… were? Now that’s the sentence I wanted to hear.”

“My giraffe,” Sunny sighed.

Sooyoung couldn’t take it anymore. “Have you gone insane, bunny?” she asked.

“I… don’t know… maybe.”

“No. No maybe. I’m one hundred percent positive.”

Sunny blinked and her weird smile got wider. “It’s your fault,” she sighed.

“Huh?”

“That giraffe… you’re my giraffe. My Tamagotchi…” Sunny took a small device out of her pocket. “You…” she turned it on and handed it to Sooyoung. Sooyoung took a look and frowned, more and more confused.

“Your Tamagotchi… likes swimming?” she asked. “Can giraffes swim?”

“No, you idiot! My giraffe’s name… is Sooyoung,” Sunny’s expression changed. She looked like she’s about to face palm herself.

“Oh… and in Korean that means?”

“It means I care about you, you dummy.”

“You… you do?”

Sunny nodded. “I really do,” she sighed and took Sooyoung’s hand into hers.

Sooyoung looked at their intertwined fingers.

“What about Hyomin?” she asked.

Sunny sighed, sadly. ”That’s what’s bothering me the most. She’s my friend. I don’t want to hurt her, I care about her.”

“So what are you going to do? What are we going to do?” Sooyoung asked.

“Well… I guess I should just tell her directly. It’s fair to tell her the truth.”

“And… What exactly is the truth?” Sooyoung asked carefully. “I mean… what are we?”

Sunny shrugged. “I don’t know. Let’s just… date?” she suggested.

“Which means?”

“Let’s try to hang out together. We’ll see if this whole thing works out or not.”

Sooyoung nodded. “Can you leave Heaven?”

“Mhmm, I guess I can. Well I definitely shouldn’t, because I do only a stupid paperwork and I bet Gyuri would get angry if she found out I’m leaving Heaven just for fun… On the other hand Gyuri herself keeps leaving Heaven just because of her stupid hair and nails. I mean, her work is to take care of angels, she’s Dominus’ right hand, so she doesn’t have any proper reason to leave Heaven too, she should stay here, but still, she keeps-“

“Sunny!” Sooyoung interrupted that waterfall of words from Sunny’s mouth. “You’re talking too much about too unimportant things!”

“Oh, sorry,” Sunny smiled, apologetically.

“So… when are you free?”

“I wanna tell Hyomin first.”

 

Jessica was lying in the bed, bored. It’s not like she was that tired, but she was bored. And she had nothing to do. And Yuri… kept her on a tight leash. Not literally, of course. Unfortunately. Jessica wasn’t even allowed to leave house on her own. The baby still kept doing random magic, but now it was surprisingly calm.

Right now, Yuri was in her lab, working on her volcano samples. Or like Jessica would say: She’s playing with some mud in the basement.

It was really cold outside, and it was actually Yuri’s birthday the day after tomorrow. And Jessica still didn’t have any present. Well, not that she didn’t have one. She had one, but it was still in the store. She ordered it via internet and now she couldn’t pick it up, because Yuri kept watching her. Overprotective hubby…

Suddenly she felt strong wind in her room. She immediately looked at the window but it was closed. The wind get stronger, some papers flew across the room and soon a small tornado appeared. A girl came out.

“Uh, Tiffany,” Jessica grunted.

“Jessie!” Tiffany jumped on the bed next to Jessica and hugged her tightly.

“Aish! Fany-yah, I’m still pregnant, you know? Be careful,” Jessica hissed and pushed the loud angels away. “And your stupid feathers tickle me.”

“Yay, Baby!” Tiffany put her hand on Jessica’s stomach. “You’re seriously getting fat,” she teased.

Jessica frowned. “Not funny.” She knew it’s true and she knew everybody could see she’s pregnant by now, but it’s been only five months, she just reached half of the pregnancy.

“Can you feel how it moves? I mean, you should already,” Tiffany smiled.

“I don’t feel the baby moving, but I can tell it’s very… active.”

Tiffany looked at her inquiringly, but she let it go. “Anyways, where’s Yuwree?” she changed the topic.

“Oh, in the basement, doing some dirty things.”

“Without you?” Tiffany raised her eyebrows. “I mean, you’re pregnant, you’re hormones are probably driving you crazy, so it’s-“

“She’s working! You ert! Taeyeon has a little bit too much influence on you. Yuri is trying to finish her volcano research.”

“Oooh, I see,” Tiffany seemed to be a bit disappointed. “Well, I want to talk to her, I have a present for her. You know… her birthday! I hope you’re throwing a party for her!” Tiffany eye-smiled, all excited.

“I’m… not,” Jessica sighed. “First of all because she keeps watching me every single step. And then there’s the thing I was hoping I would spend her birthday with her alone.”

“Oooh, romantic evening? I would still like to do a party, you know? Can I throw a party for her?”

Jessica sighed. “Do whatever you want, just… don’t interrupt us.”

Tiffany nodded, understandingly. “I’ll make sure that won’t happen. I know how it feels. Me and my TaeTae are getting interrupted all the time. Do you have a present?”

“I have one. But I have to pick it up without her noticing which seems to be like an impossible thing to do. I ordered it using email, so she has no idea, but I really don’t know how the heck I am supposed to get it here.”

Tiffany flashed another of her blinding eye-smile. “Don’t smile at me like that, I still dislike it.”

“And what if I told you Yuri won’t be here for an upcoming, I don’t know, 24 hours?”

“She won’t?” Jessica sat up. “What weird things are happening in that wicked mind of yours again?”

“Wicked? Excuse me?!” Tiffany faked a pique. Then she laughed. “It’s none of your business, it’s our gift for her.”

“By our you mean…? You and Taeyeon?”

Tiffany hesitated for a second before she nodded. “Yes, and Gyuri,” she admitted.

“Park Gyuri?”

“Yeah… Anyways, you don’t have to worry, just go. I’ll take her soul, so don’t be scared if you find her lying unconscious in the basement. I’ll just take her somewhere and then return her back.”

“You’re taking her to Heaven,” Jessica stated matter-of-factly. She got annoyed by Tiffany’s secretiveness while this was more than obvious.

“How do you know?” Tiffany asked, sulky.

“It’s the only place humans can’t enter. We can’t really transfer humans and especially not that far. There isn’t any gate like those that lead down to Hell. There’s no other way for humans to enter Heaven except for taking their soul away from their bodies. Duh.”

“Fine, you’re right. I bet you know already what we want to do… you know right?”

Jessica nodded. “I think I know. How did you…? They allowed it?”

“Gyuri really helped a lot this time. She pulled some strings and also Taeyeon talked to Dominus. Well, send him a letter via Sooyoung.”

Jessica smiled. “Yuri will be really happy. And I’m thankful too.”