Chapter 82

Dear Donghae

Beautiful Target - B1A4

Narrator's POV

Spring: the days of warm breezes and the delightful sound of dried leaves, replaced anew, crunching and cracking under careless footsteps. Donghae stretched out and yawned like what he had done so for the past fifteen minutes he had been awake. He breathed in the thought of being wonderfully alive, more so when he had something -- or someone, in particular -- to live for.

But he dipped down anyway, kissing her briefly on the forehead before descending the stairs down to the living room. Min Yu gets bored and suddenly blames everything, even though it was all Donghae's fault that the bedroom door was ajar and the lights were left on and the sheets were in a messy heap on the floor.

Donghae went downstairs nonetheless, leaving her peacefully sleeping figure buried in sheets. Rubbing his eyes off of the grogginess, he plugged the coffee maker in, the machine whizzing to life. He poured some water in and left it to heat, meanwhile fixing breakfast sandwiches. And he was a calm drizzle that woke up that early Saturday morning, and behind him passed a hurricane.

Min Yu clutched the blanket tightly around her as she leaned backward, her spine hitting the edge of the dining table. "Wae?" Donghae barely let out a sound with his hoarse, raspy voice. His hips were twisted at an awkward angle while his hands rested on the counter and his torso was facing backwards. He observed the girl bent over and snoozing on the table, a few feet away from where he was standing.

The girl brought her balled up fist to her closed eyes, prodding herself awake. "There was a cockroach in the bedroom," she half whined. He, with his lips twitching threateningly, shifted his attention back to the undone sandwiches. After making something edible for breakfast, Donghae turned the faucet on and rinsed his hands under the running water. "What do you want me to do about it?"

"I don't know," Min Yu shrugged. She fixed the sheet like a superhero's treasured cape, like the long trail of dresses worn by royalty. "Kill it, maybe?" She finally laid down on her makeshift bed. The commotion had him stifling a laugh, and Donghae finally realized that it was true. That Min Yu seemed to be aging backwards. But he brought his plate and ate on the table, anyway.

Her posture was stiff, and it was the first thing he noticed. "Ya, get off the table," Donghae scolded. "It's like I'm eating beside a corpse." And like a cold, dead body, Min Yu sat up. "Did you hear that?" She clutched the blanket tighter against her chest. Her eyes still threatening to close any moment. "I was just talking to you," the man retorted.

"Aniya~" She flailed her feet wildly, turning towards her husband almost sarcastically. "So you're saying you sound like a cockroach? Psh." The girl turned to the doorway and froze in her spot as there it was, the insect that drove the life out of her. Quickly, she pulled Donghae with her to hide underneath the comforts of the thick sheet. One second, he was eating breakfast, and the next he was under a makeshift fort.

Disguising his amusement, "Ige mwoya?" he asked somewhat irritatedly. Min Yu could only shush him before burying her face in her hands. "It flies. If it can do so, then it could possibly hear us too." Then she grew silent afterwards, and Donghae only figured she had fallen back to sleep. "Maybe I should--" he tried standing, but Min Yu wound her arms around his neck and drew him closer.

"I'm doing you a favor, okay?" She patted his head, like what people do with dogs, and resumed her slumber against his shoulder. And there they froze, with Min Yu bent over, careful not to lean over his half-eaten food, for the next few minutes or so. "You said you'll kill spiders for me," she muttered somewhat begrudgingly.

He looked up at her and gently kissed her cheek. "That's what I was about to do."

"Even if it's not a spider, but a cockroach?" she dared, eyes widening inquisitively.

Donghae smiled and nodded, repeating her question, minus the question mark. "Even if it's not a spider, but a cockroach."

She untangled him from her limbs. "Even if it flies?"

"Even if it can solve Math equations, I will make sure that little cockroach-that-is-not-a-spider is dead so you can come out of this--" He looked up at the suffocating white sheet hovering above them, "This tent so we can eat breakfast together." He flashed her a wide grin and two thumbs up. "Arasseo?" To which, the girl just nodded.

The man went out of the makeshift fort to battle with the flying insect. He felt like a hero, armed with a disinfectant in one hand and the front of his shirt covering his nose and mouth in the other. When he successfully got rid of the enemy, he went back to the base with the delight of a child in Christmas morning. But his number one fan had already fallen back to sleep.

 

--

 

Click here for the original blog ☺