The Story of A Day

Dear Donghae

She - TVXQ

 

The fans' long-dreaded event has been confirmed. Male group Teen Top revealed about their upcoming enlistment. Curious as to which one of the six members will be fulfilling his mandatory military service?

"We decided to go altogether. It's a one for all and all for one decision," stated CAP, the group's leader, in an interview, earning them their fans' sound disapproval.

The group concluded their last world tour in France and finalized all other individual schedules before joining.

"We're a group. If one goes, we all go with him. We're a package," added CAP. "We will show that we can work as a team even without an audience and our manager watching. We are all fit for the requirement, so all we have to do is to pack and go."

"It's a strategy they have thought of," quipped the group's producer, Shinhwa's Andy. "In the army, they will be awarded with merit points if they do a good job. When they reach a certain amount of points, they can exchange it for a 15-minute call to whoever they like. The call will be for their parents, of course, because all the members will be there together and they won't miss each other."

Netizens commented, "We will wait for you~ :(", "Can't you go individually?!", "Teen Top members really love each other ^^"

 

Narrator's POV

"Tell them I wish their group the best of luck, and that I'll be waiting for them outside." Donghae had his window rolled down as he looked up at the woman who had been feeling glum all morning. Min Yu nodded, looking more distant while standing on the pavement just beside the car's driver seat. Donghae wanted to caress her face with his hand, but he was afraid to breach her personal space.

The woman ducked down low enough to be on level with his face. "Are you sure you don't want to come with me?" she offered for the nth time that day and as usual, Donghae shook his head no. "Today's your chance to spend time with them before they leave." He rested his forearm on the steering wheel and watched as her expression turned remorseful.

Not sure what to do next, he leaned out of his car's window. "They might be waiting for you inside now." Donghae gestured to the dorm's front door. Sniffling slightly, Min Yu brushed a lock of hair away from her face before leaning in to his face. With only a few centimeters apart, her mind out and she was unsure whether or not she will kiss him. He was patiently waiting for her but she was just too unsure.

In the end, it was the man who made a move by planting a quick peck on her cheek. "I'll see you later," said Donghae with a wide grin plastered on his face. She smiled back, and for that he was grateful. She watched as he drove away, the white Audi getting smaller and smaller in until it disappeared completely. Sighing to herself, Min Yu whirled around on the soles of her feet and advanced to the front door.

Before her finger could even press the door bell, the door already opened, revealing Niel with his hair in pigtails. He was still in his pajamas and looks as if he stayed up all night. "Help us, please?" he whispered hopelessly. Could she even say no? The Teen Top member held her by the wrists and tugged her up the stairs, into his room. "Hyung, who was tha--MIN YU!" Changjo exclaimed loudly after he trudged into his hyung's room, unwelcome.

The maknae also had his hair sticking up in all directions, similar to the men who have heard of his voice and came tumbling in the door the next minute. "Ya, you're planning to keep her all to yourself!" accused Ricky with a menacing finger pointed at Niel. His luscious lips puckered up as he pondered on how to defend himself. "DO YOU THINK YOU'RE THE ONE WHO NEEDS HELPING?! We do, too!" yelled L.Joe while he glared at him through his dandy glasses.

"BREAKFAST IS READY~" someone announced whimsically from the kitchen. The tension dropped to the minimal as Chunji almost turned off a dangerous switch. As if brainwashed, the members all dashed down to the dining table, with their minds flooded with the aroma of food. Min Yu followed suit, walking behind L.Joe and just wanting to hug all of them as long as she could.

There was a spine-chilling sensation as each chair began skidding backwards against the cold floor. "Sit properly," scolded CAP in his husky, just-got-out-of-bed voice -- not that they would listen, anyway. "Is it hot?" asked Changjo, and Ricky shoved a tablespoon of coffee in his mouth. "Taste this," offered Niel as he leaned over from across the table to where the maknae was sitting.

Changjo clucked his tongue over his palate before flashing an expression that shows his distaste. "Was that tea?" he cringed and gulped down a mouthful of water to counter the taste. "Byunghun is jealous~ He wants to try too!" Ricky singsonged, earning him a hit on the shoulder from none other than L.Joe. "Byunghun, say aah~" Niel rocked the whole table as he dipped forward. "I'll stick to my milk, thank you," L.Joe waved him off.

Before he could turn to the woman, however, Min Yu already stood up, heading to the kitchen. "Nothing better~ nothing better~" sang Chunji while flipping pancakes on a frying pan. "Yes, there's nothing better than having your saliva all over the food," interrupted Min Yu from behind. "I'm practicing for when I get assigned to do the cooking in the military," he rolled his eyes at her.

"I bet you'd injure yourself first before you could even load a gun."

"I bet you'll start crying when we start to pack."

"I bet you'll fall in love with the first soldier you see."

"I bet...I bet--" "WHAT? What?" Min Yu grinned wickedly as he ran out of words to say. Chunji, racked his surroundings for an escape. Noticing the pan still in his hand, he reached out and turned the stove off. "Here," he transferred the pancakes on a separate plate. Tossing a handful of strawberries on the food and popping some in his own mouth, Chunji handed her the plate. "Serve."

Complying before she could burst into tears, Min Yu blinked back the welling tears and headed to the kitchen. The boys acted all barbaric at the sight of food, and before the plate could land on the table, it was already empty. "Here," CAP motioned to the woman, holding a fork with a slice of food in front of . She took the food in graciously before advancing back to the kitchen.

As if he already knew it was bound to happen, Chunji started to heat the frying pan once more. Min Yu rested her hands on the counter and pushed herself up to sit on the surface. "Whatever you do, don't start crying until we begin packing," he ordered while his back was facing her. "Who said I was crying? Babo," she countered back.

Chunji toasted bread on the pan with butter and when satisfied, put it aside. He worked fluidly around the kitchen, and it was something she had always adored about him. "You'll cry soon," he mumbled before whisking eggs mixed with chopped vegetables in a bowl. Not wanting to meet his expectations, she went out of the kitchen and into the dining table.

Apparently, Changjo has brought his backpack from his room and scattered his clothes messily on the floor. "This is so boring. Why don't you have many stuff? I'll bring in, like, my whole closet," commented Niel as he nibbled on a piece of bread. "That's because we're going to the military and not to some fashion show," protested L.Joe.

The room fell silent for a moment, and Min Yu had taken her spot on the floor next to Changjo as she helped him fold his garments neatly. When they were all packed accordingly in his bag, the woman rested her head against his shoulder. "Jonghyun-ah, are you scared?" she asked faintly. "Leeteuk said it was very tiring."

"Let's eat. Let's eat. Let's eat. Let's eat. Let's eat!" Chunji announced hurriedly from the kitchen. When the other members tried hovering over their food, he shooed them away. "It's just for us two so stay away," the man scolded. Min Yu sat on a vacant chair and propped her knees up against the table. "Why is it that you cook the best for yourself?!" intrigued Ricky angrily as he gawked at the egg sandwich.

Chunji's POV

"Need some help with that?" Her voice sounded clearly from the doorway. Panicking, I hastily closed the drawer for my underwear. In my haste, my fingers were trapped and stuck. "Aish," I cursed under my breath. Min Yu slowly approached with a wary look while I hid my crushed fingers behind my back and kept a pain-free expression.

"Who are you kidding, Chanhee?" Min Yu arched her eyebrow questioningly before forcing to examine my hand. It was pulsing erratically, more so under her touch. "Don't mind it. It doesn't hurt," I chided confidently, plopping down over the scattered clothes on my bed. She leaned against the doors of the closet and eyed the suitcase on one corner. "When will you be leaving?"

I sat up and raked a hand through my messy hair. "At 4, I think," I thought out loud. She nodded curtly and shifted her gaze out the window. Min Yu and windows. The woman marveled at the view behind the glass like she hasn't seen it before. And I drink at the sight of her like a man drowning. I won't be seeing much of her in a while. In a long while.

She was pretty with those chocolate brown eyes that turn bronze in the sunlight. There was the ever-present ghost of a humor across her face. It was almost noon and I was thinking of marrying her. But of course she wouldn't accept. And I don't want her to ever take it seriously at all. I asked her once and she said yes and it was all worth it.

Min Yu sank on the floor, dragging my suitcase together with her. "Let's see what you have here~" she chided whimsically, possibly trying to entertain herself to keep from crying. ping it around the edges, she clasped her hands together as the top half revealed everything inside. Her expression turned sour as she realized there was nothing inside.

The woman -- or the girl, as I prefer her to be -- glanced up at me with a questioning look. She had those effortless wide-eyed expressions that only make me want to protect her from any harm. It was as thrilling as a free fall yet as impossible as loving a fictional character. But she can't see me wanting her like nobody else ever did. Or maybe she does.

She stood up from the floor and yanked my closet doors open, almost hitting me right in the face if my reflexes hadn't acted quickly. "I thought you've already had your things prepared," she muttered softly. "I didn't know what to bring," I defended, when in reality, I only wanted her to make me regret my enlisting. It was exhilarating to feel there's a reason for me to stay.

"Do you think it's hard?" I threw my head back to rest on the mattress.

"What is?" Min Yu asked back without turning to face me.

"Training. Do you think life inside the army will be difficult?"

"Why," she asked with a hint of a smile in her voice. "Are you scared?"

"Maybe," I replied with an uncertain shrug. If it was uncertainty about my decisions or uncertainty about how I will leave things behind, I wasn't sure. And I was uncertain about my thoughts too. I would have to march in with my combat boots and my cropped hair later on, do a brief salute, and introduce myself. Lee Chan Hee. Twenty-seven and uncertain.

"Then don't go," she stated, more like an order. There. That was exactly what I was waiting to hear. "You can always delay it, like Leeteuk did." Min Yu sounded as if she was trying her best not to cry as she creased and folded my clothes neatly in a pile, her hands unsteady with every move. "You know I have to," I responded as-a-matter-of-factly.

"Then bring me with you." Min Yu said, full of confidence. She was beautiful, even as she cries, and I wanted to cry with her, too. I tucked away tendrils of her hair and let my hand lay paralyzed on the side of her pretty face. The girl stirred and shuffled forward until she was sitting on my lap. Clasping her hands together around my neck, she cried, and I don't want her to.

Her forehead was pressed hard against my jaw and I wanted to kiss her but it won't be right. "I'll miss you," she muttered softly. My hands were lost and I found them encircled around her. Please don't let me forget, I thought to myself. Please don't let me forget that she's Donghae's. But it was all centered on the little things -- things taken for granted, things I'll miss most.

I reached up instinctively, trying to manage my hair just enough so it would look less of a bird's nest. Min Yu sat upright with her brows knit in confusion. "Stop that," she demanded, pinning my hand down and fixing my hair herself. "I'm having a moment and you're still so full of yourself?" the girl showed effort in cheering herself up. With my hands free, I ran my thumb across her cheek to dry her tears away.

"I have millions of hits on search engines, you know. So I have to maintain my image," I bragged boastfully to ease the atmosphere. Setting both my hands as support, my right hand still hurt from being nearly crushed into little pieces after being stuck in the drawer. I tried masking the pain while Min Yu ran her fingers through my hair. "You know you owe me about half of those hits," she chided with a grin.

"Oh really now?" I questioned dangerously with a wicked smirk before reaching out to pinch the life out of her cheek. "CHANHEE!" Min Yu held her forefinger out to signal a halt while the other comforted her throbbing face. As a revenge, she gave out a punch meant for my shoulder, but landed on my injured hand instead. "ACK," I exclaimed quite loudly as I cringed away.

Min Yu blinked multiple times before her mind registered what had happened. "Do you want me to bring you to a hospital?" she offered almost inaudibly. She looked guilty for what she has done accidentally, but who would stay mad at a pretty face like that? "Eh~" I squeezed her other cheek. "You just want a reason for me not to continue in the army."

"Just get yourself an ice pack," she muttered irritatedly as she stood up from where we were sprawled on the carpeted floor. "Do you still have to go to somebody else's room?" I asked blankly while trying to nurse my aching hand. "Byunghun wanted me to help him cleanup..." "Then go to him now. I'll go to the kitchen," I spun and stormed out the door.

Descending the stairs one step at a time, it was a different feeling knowing the whole dorm was quiet even when the six of us were present. The place felt like a cemetery with the deafening silence echoing throughout the house. I reached the kitchen and was glad there was still an ice pack despite the fact that the whole refrigerator was empty. No one was ever going to use the dorm while we were away, except for days when we are allowed to go out and visit out loved ones.

Finally breathing a sigh of relief as my hand was numb with the help of the ice, I jogged up the stairs and back into my room. She wasn't there anymore when I entered. "L.Joe needed help with his stuff," I nodded to myself before sinking down on the bed. The suitcase was still lying by the foot of the bed as it had been a while ago and I was all alone.

To aid me in forgetting about nervousness and uncertainty about many things -- maybe even everything -- I closed my eyes and felt myself slowly dozing off to sleep. A short nap will do, before we would trudge off to Yongsan, where millions of men -- including us -- would march off to start their training. My eyes were getting heavier and off to unconsciousness I drift.

--

"ChunjiChunjiChunjiChunjiChunjiChunji!!" L.Joe yelled spontaneously without breathing. At the same time, he prodded me awake by shaking my shoulders fervently. I rose up and scrunched my eyes as they adjusted to the bright sunlight streaming from the windows. I had slept for more or less an hour. "What is it?" I asked, almost with a hint of annoyance.

"Where's Min Yu?" he looked around the room. "What are you sa--I thought she was in your room already!" I exclaimed with sudden alertness. "I've been waiting for almost three hours!" L.Joe yelled in complaint. "Look," he held his palms out and his chin thoughtfully, trying to be Korea's Sherlock Holmes. Psh. Typical Byunghun.

"She arrived at 8:15 in the morning. We finished breakfast at 9:03. CAP hyung, the first person Min Yu went to,  estimated her to be with him ever since we finished breakfast until about 10. Niel and Ricky were with her the next, and the three were together from 10 to a quarter before 11. After that, she was all yours!" he explained almost angrily. "And don't point your finger at Changjo. He was already done packing since breakfast!"

I used my hand to cover his mouth. "LISTEN TO ME FIRST!" I shouted. "Yes, she helped me with my things, but my hand got stuck in a drawer and got injured even before she entered. She accidentally punched it and I went down to get some ice. When I came back, she was already gone," I defended my side calmly. But where was she?

"Aish," L.Joe growled through gritted teeth before fumbling for his phone. I ran out through the door before he could start one of his loud, deafening sermons. Everyone else was dragging their things down to the living room. "Niel, have you seen Min Yu?" I intrigued as he was the first one I saw from where I was. "Don't get started with me on that, hyung. L.Joe already bullied me enough with the same question," he replied anxiously.

I wove in and out of all the rooms, checking to see and trying my luck if Min Yu was there. She can't just leave. She hasn't even said goodbye to me. My face slipped into a frown before someone's heavy, panicking footsteps sounded by the hallway. "Chanhee," he called out breathlessly and I advanced to where he was. "What? Have you found her?" I asked, but instead of answering, he dragged me by the elbow back to my room.

"MIN Y--" L.Joe covered my mouth before I could finish saying her name. He motioned for me to keep quiet before pointing to my open suitcase. She fit perfectly inside and I wonder in awe how she had been able to breathe through from inside. L.Joe dipped forward to wake her up, but I held him back. "Don't disturb her."

The girl hugged her knees close to her chest as she slept peacefully. Noticing how uncomfortable the position was, I proceeded to carry her to my bed and, luckily, she didn't stir. "You made her cry, didn't you?" L.Joe declared in an accusing tone.

"Her eyes were already sore when she came in, but she still cried," I explained briefly.

"Then why did she pack herself in your suitcase?" he interrogated.

"She told me to bring her with me," I replied curtly.

"What if you DID sneak her in?" Byunghun challenged with his eyebrow arched. "Babo. Where do I put my clothes? Why, will you let me borrow yours? And do you want us to be killed by a firing squad?" I babbled on until he was forced to leave the room. After he left, I fixed my suitcase myself, all the while keeping a wary eye over her sleeping figure.

Narrator's POV

"I love to play all day~" Changjo hummed silently. "Come join me all my friends~" Ricky butted in. "Always happy as can be Little Penguin Pororo!" Everyone in the car sang along. At the noise, Min Yu arose from her slumber and was surprised to see that she was in a car. "Where are we?" she asked almost absent-mindedly. "On the way to Yongsan~" Niel responded whimsically.

The girl rubbed her eyes multiple times before the idea could sink in her brain. "Damn it," she cursed silently before fishing for her phone and suddenly getting angrier over missed calls and unanswered messages. Resting her head against the window, she immediately dialed for Donghae's number and waited for his answer. "No crying! No crying!" Ricky teased from behind.

Min Yu rolled her eyes at him. "I definitely won't be crying," she stuck her tongue out playfully. "Eh~ you started tearing up after you saw the news," Donghae joined in from the other line. "Shut up!" whined the girl, earning her fits of chuckles. "Okay, okay, what is it?" Donghae's tone turned serious. "They're-- I mean, we're already on our way to Yongsan," she announced.

"I'll be on my way. Wait for me, arasseo?" he reminded before hanging up. And now, Min Yu didn't have the feeling of doubt --whether he would come or not -- like she did before. When she hung up, she had a shirt thrown over her head. Before she could open to complain, L.Joe leaned over from behind her and held the shirt in front of her. "I want to see you wear this when we get discharged, okay?" he requested before leaning forward to kiss her on the cheek.

Niel, being on the passenger seat beside the manager hyung who was driving, covered both his ears. "Lalala~ I don't want to hear. Don't get me started with crying. Lalala~" he muttered to himself to drown out the commotion happening on the backseat. "Don't miss us," Changjo, who was sitting beside her, clutched him close to him like his precious stuffed toy. "I'll always call and visit you during my free time."

"We're here," announced the manager and they all came pouring out of the vehicle. The press welcomed them even before they reached the headquarters. Min Yu was treated more of the celebrity than the idols who acted as her bodyguards. When they had reached the official headquarters, the tension heightened at the sight of intimidating clad of soldiers.

Since it was still early, with an hour to spare before call time, they all accompanied Min Yu as she waited for Donghae. Still holding the shirt L.Joe had given her, Min Yu chomped down on her tongue for her to be distracted from crying. "I know I won't have to worry about you all because you'd be going together," she flashed a smile that quickly faded. "So take care of yourselves insides, okay?"

Huddled together in a circle, the men nodded with their heads bowed low. It was only now when they could feel the actual weight of the burden they were tasked to carry. Ricky was the first to begin crying. "Ya," Min Yu nudged him as her voice became unsteady. "I thought there should be no crying?" She ran her hand up and down his back to try and comfort him.

The silence drew on for the next couple of minutes. During those times of silence, however, they were witnesses to families sadly sending off a loved one, and even a father saying goodbye to his children. It was a pitiful sight, and Min Yu could only turn her back to them, but not cover her ears from their shrill cries. In his voice thick from crying, Changjo patted Min Yu on the shoulder. When she faced him, he pointed to a lone figure on a far corner.

Min Yu had to weave through a thick crowd of fans and media men swarming like bees towards the newcomer. Donghae was busy trying not to be blinded by sudden flashes from cameras surrounding him. When the two locked gazes, it became difficult for the man to detach from all the attention, and so he grasped Min Yu's hand tightly before pulling her with him to some hidden corner.

It was here where the girl burst into all the emotions she had been trying hard to keep bottled and contained inside her. Watching her helplessly, Donghae could only pull her into his embrace, signaling that he was ready to listen whatever she was about to say next. "Donghae, I don't want them to go," she sobbed, her voice choked by the lump in from all the crying.

From afar, the Teen Top members gathered closer together, occasionally keeping an eye out for Min Yu. "Can't I back out?" Chunji muttered fretfully. "We're all in this together," said the red-eyed CAP. "23 months. Just 23 months. And we're allowed to spend holidays with our families and take some vacation from time to time. It won't be so hard," he tried cheering the others up.

And the silence commenced once again. Only this time, it was broken by a loud bell ring. Maintaining composure and manning up, the members stood up and fixed their clothes to look presentable even with their fresh faces and simple attire. A loud officer began speaking through the speakers, his voice immediately instilling a sense of authority and respect.

One by one, names were being called. They stood awkwardly, as they were all ready to go, and were just waiting to say goodbye to Teen Top's best friend. Arranged in a semi-circle, they saw the girl quickly approaching. She still clutched L.Joe's shirt in her balled up fist. "What should I say?" she came to a halt in front of the men staring at their own shoes and trying not to tear up.

Niel, who had disguised his anxiety as indifference, crushed her tightly in his arms while he cried. "Visit me regularly, okay? I'll visit you too. And I'll call you everytime I can." He breathed out all his concerns at the last minute. When he released her from his grip, Min Yu voluntarily reached out to each of them, one by one reminding them of her worries.

When it came to Chunji, however, all the five members left and fell in line towards the entrance. "You said you weren't going to cry," he smiled at her teasingly. But she looked up at him with red-rimmed eyes. And it was his turn to have his fill of her. "I'll miss you terribly," he muttered as he had his hands clasped around her waist. "And don't forget to visit me when you can."

"Idiot, I love you," Min Yu whispered close to his ear. He planted a sweet kiss on her forehead. "I know," he pulled away from her grasp and gave her a warm smile. He advanced to where the other members were and she watched as they entered, one by one. But she wasn't alone for long. Donghae slid his hand through hers and interlocked their fingers together. "Let's go home," he dabbed his finger across her cheek to dry her tears before putting his arm over her shoulder as they walked back to his car.

~Long chapter, everyone! ☺ comments are appreciated :)