Love is Patient

Dear Donghae

That XX - G Dragon

Narrator's POV

He raked his fingers absent-mindedly through her hair repeatedly, smoothing out the tangles, until he was sure she was already fast asleep. Donghae wasn't yet free of the feeling he had done her wrong and can't get over the fact he was forgiven so easily. And she had cried -- yes, he knew, judging by the way a spot on his pillow was soaked with none other than her tears.

But Min Yu said she was fine. Truth be told, she was anything but fine. Donghae watched closely as she slept, after he had pulled the covers over their bodies. He hugged her close to his chest, afraid that for a fraction of a second, she might be mad again. He had created a special portion in his mind, a space filled with the things he had regretted most, with lying to Min Yu as number one.

And he willed to change, to be as loving as she was forgiving. Donghae held onto the side of her face with one hand and began to probe her face lightly with his thumb. "Baby, I forgot to tell you something earlier. So wake up, it's so important!" he exclaimed in a modulated voice but with a hint of urgency. Min Yu only whimpered and flipped over to turn her back on him.

"Yeobo~" he whined, forcing her to face him. With her eyes closed, she lifted her hand up to cover his mouth. "Wake up! I forgot to tell you something important!" continued Donghae. "I miss you. Wake up!" He shook her by her frail shoulders while prodding her awake. "Wake up or no kisses," he bargained with a take-it-or-leave-it statement. He laughed at his own statement. "Okay. I'll give you kisses whenever you want. Just wake up!"

The girl only scratched her eyes sleepily. "What now?" she groaned. "I love you," smiled Donghae and kissed her sweetly. Min Yu wound her arm around his neck and pulled him close. "Don't say that," she breathed in deeply the air he had just breathed out. Even with her eyes closed, she could feel him staring at her. "Don't tell me you love me, because I might do something crazy, like believe you."

"Then be crazy, because it's true. And you love me too. That's the reason why you forgave me so easily," said Donghae in defense. "I'm so afraid that if I say the wrong thing or make the wrong move, you'll just leave. You'll walk out without warning, no goodbye, not even an explanation. There's not even a single percentage of guarantee that you'll come back at all," explained Min Yu, obviously fighting back tears.

Seeing her cry, Donghae crushed her into his embrace, trying to soak up all the pains she was feeling inside. And if he could only take it away, he would. "I can't promise you anything," he muttered. "And I can't tell you I'll change. But as long as you stay and be patient with me," he tucked her hair gently behind her ear. "I'll keep trying."

Min Yu's head tipped back suddenly to look at him. "Why do you do this to me?" She quickly snatched his hand and held it against her bare chest. "You make my heart pace erratically, if not explode." Down to her slender waist, she added, "You make butterflies flood my stomach. Not to mention how you make blood pool on my cheeks," Min Yu gestured to her face. Donghae wiped a tear from her eye. "And this?" he held his finger up to her face. "Yes, it's also because of you."

Min Yu's POV

"You must seriously be kidding me," greeted Kyuhyun after I answered his call. "What? I'm busy doing something! Make it quick," I whimpered, sticking my phone between my ear and by shoulder because of my preoccupied hands. "Why is Donghae still alive? Or if he isn't, how come I wasn't invited to his funeral?!" he scolded from the other line.

I snorted, earning weird looks from the people around me. "He isn't dead, babo," I retorted, though I still had no idea what he was talking about. "Oh come on. You almost rip my limbs into pieces using your teeth when I defeat you in a video game, yet you catch your boyfriend lying and you act all giddy like he was some kind of saint," Kyuhyun remained unconvinced.

Sinking on my chair, I decided over what could possibly be more exhausting than trying to prove myself correct. "What do you want me to say?" I demanded with a sigh. "Explain. Explain to me why you're acting like that. It's absolutely not you, and I don't get it. I really don't. Why do you act like it's so easy?" he stated, obviously confused.

"Why are you so bothered with it?" I can't help asking. "Honestly, I despise you so much right now! You're a hypocrite! Right now, I bet you're trying to keep calm and composed but deep down inside you want to punch him in the face!" he yelled angrily. I waited in silence as he breathed heavily against his phone's receiver, eagerly waiting for his next outburst.

"Again," sighed Kyuhyun. "The guy lied in front of you. Why do you act like it's so easy?"

"Who said it was easy?" I muttered softly.

"Were you mad?"

"No," I answered.

"Then what were you?" pressed Kyuhyun.

Hurt, I wanted to tell him. Hurt that to him, I was gullible -- that he could lie to me. Hurt that he lied when he said he won't. Hurt by the fact that the one who did me wrong was the one who said he wouldn't. Hurt because he proved me wrong, that people change. No matter how long you've known people, they will still change. Hurt by the fact that despite of his lies, my trust for him remained unchanging.

"Nothing."

Narrator's POV

Day 151

Feeling overly impatient, Min Yu finally decided to call him. But it wasn't Kai who answered. "Oh, hello~" greeted Baekhyun whimsically. "Where's Kai? I texted him, like, three hours ago and he didn't answer. Is he okay or...?" she asked worriedly. "Oh so it's you then. Don't worry about that kid," replied the EXO K member. "He became so ecstatic about the fact that you texted him and he fainted. Now he's sleeping soundly."

There was a sound of bickering in the background while all Min Yu could hear was the phone being passed on from one person to another. "Hi best friend~" Kai's just-woke-up-even-though-it's-already-noon voice. "Are you busy or something? Let's eat lunch together," he invited, to which the girl just smiled. "I was about to ask you the same thing."

"So why did you suddenly text your oh so handsome and talented best friend, hmm?" Kai walked with one foot in front of the other when they had finally met up. "Donghae said he was off to a guesting," Min Yu replied quite awkwardly. She kept her eyes on the ground by her feet. "I bet he's brought Sun Hye along," sighed Kai and threw her a knowing look.

She nudged him lightly with her arm. "I know what's going through your head right now, so you don't have to say it out loud," Min Yu laughed as Kai stuck his tongue out childishly. "It took you hours to recover from fainting?!?" she exclaimed in sudden thought. Kai looked away, embarrassed. "I haven't heard from you in days and I was so excited that I fainted."

He linked her arm through his as they crossed the street. "What would you do after we eat?" asked Kai curiously. "I'd have to attend about four classes afterwards until the afternoon--" "WAIT," interrupted Kai with a cautious gesture. "I'm not hitting on you, okay? We're just friends here. Nothing bad, just friends..." And to himself, he added, "Aish, why does she have to be only a high schooler..."

"Babo," Min Yu smacked his head teasingly. "I am definitely NOT a high schooler. I told you I'm in law school, why do you have to be so forgetful?" she whined. Kai shielded himself from her hits while laughing. "Okay, okay. I'm sorry," he kept a wary eye out for fans that might block their way. "So where do you want to eat?" Kai looked up at the sign boards of various choices.

Having a bad eyesight to blame, he squinted his eyes to be able to understand a sign that read Chinese. "Ya, Min Yu? You can read this, right? What does thi--" he cocked his head from side to side but she was nowhere to be found. "Min Yu?" Kai called out quite inaudibly compared to the hustle and bustle of people in the busy street.

For one second he was lost and being dragged by his forearm the next. Before his mind could register what was happening, Min Yu had let him go, and he stumbled on his own feet with returned balance. She turned her back on him once again, and busied herself savoring the food. Kai's head suddenly popped out from nowhere. "Is that--" "Yes," she cut him off without letting him finish.

The dancer eyed the boiled silkworm warily and observed as she gobbled it up. "Is it that delicious?" he demanded, scrutinizing every bit of the food. "Oh come on, don't be gay. Just try it," she held a portion in front of his mouth. "Who said I was ga--" Before Kai could defend his gender, Min Yu took the chance and shoved the food in his mouth.

As he chewed and remained silent, the girl smirked to herself. "See? Street food isn't so bad after all, is it?" she commented before ordering more from the preoccupied vendor. Kai had his own fill of boiled silkworms, which he rated as merely disgusting, and smiled at people who would recognize his face. The fact that his face might be on internet sites because of this never bothered him.

After patronizing most of the vendor's laid out food, the two began walking away. "Why street food?" asked Kai out of the blue. "I'm trying to cut down expenses," she nodded to herself as she spoke. "Donghae could buy you a whole airport if you just told him, you know," he chuckled in response. "I'm not the buy-me-this-buy-me-that type of person. And darn, I didn't know bypass surgeries were THAT hefty of a price," the final sentence she added without much thinking.

"You have heart disease?!" Kai exclaimed loudly. Min Yu hastily shushed him up as people began staring at them weirdly. "I don't, okay?" she protested when he finally calmed down. "Then who's sick?" he pressed curiously. "My father," she admittedly mumbled. "Leeteuk sunbaenim?! I didn't know he was sick!" the EXO member yelped in shock.

"He's not!" defended Min Yu while desperately trying her best not to surprise him too much with every word that comes from . "It's my father, as in my real father," she explained, looking away to maintain a facade of indifference. "Oh, the one in the court during your accident?" he asked nonchalantly, to which she just nodded.

And, realizing what he had just said, "Sorry. Lost myself there," he covered up for his mistake and rubbed the back of his neck in shame. "It's fine," assured Min Yu, but the next few steps ahead of them grew awfully silent. A white Audi parking by the curb caught Min Yu's eyes, and she came to a halt in the middle of her tracks. Kai was supposed to ask what the matter was, but one look at the driver told him everything.

Donghae jogged to the other side and opened the door to the passenger seat. Without another word, Min Yu immediately pulled Kai out of the way and led him behind a row of shrubs. The two ducked down and observed from where they were hidden. Kai knew better than to speak, but when Yoona came out of the car, "I thought--" he was about to ask.

He stopped in midsentence as Min Yu grabbed his own arm and used his hand to cover . Kai examined her face closely, watching her every reaction. He could feel her lips trembling violently, and her jaws were obviously clenched. Her eyes never left Donghae as he, with a wide grin plastered on his face, walked side by side Yoona.

Every movement and every opening of their mouths added to Min Yu's burden. When the other two were completely out of sight, Min Yu stood up and dusted off her clothes. She wore a forced smile and motioned for Kai to stand up. "You're the girlfriend and you've done nothing wrong. Why would you hide?" he asked with a hint of accusing.

She replied with a faint smile and motioned for them to keep walking. As they strolled along the sidewalk, Kai kept letting out sighs of disappointment. "I know, I know," said Min Yu in reassurance. "I'd get you a taxi," he offered instead and hailed a cab when he saw one. "Where do you study again?" Kai asked while waiting for the cab to park in front of them.

"I'd rather go home," she muttered blankly, her eyes still fixed ahead. When the taxi swerved by the road and came to a full stop, Kai spun her around and gave her a hug. "Call me if you need someone to talk to." He pulled away and held her firmly by the shoulders, patting her head gently. "And I promise I won't faint," he flashed her a comforting smile, which she returned sweetly.

She turned around and entered the vehicle without much ado, waving goodbye before the taxi sped away. Kai let out a heavy and bothered sigh. He stepped a few feet backwards and leaned against a blank wall. He felt someone almost boring a hole through him and he tilted his head to the side, only to see Donghae eyeing him sternly the whole time.

Kyuhyun's POV

From the corner of my eye, I knew quite well Min Yu wasn't watching the news blaring from the TV screen right in front of her. Her all-too stiff sitting position on the couch was strange, after all. I would have about going crazy and catatonic if I haven't known the real story -- according to Kai, that is. He gave me a frantic call just as Min Yu stepped inside the dorm.

I intentionally kept my headphones on, even though the entire game was muted. If not, I wouldn't have heard the front door opening. I kept my eyes glued to my laptop as Donghae sank down on the space beside her. The atmosphere grew tense, not just because of the battle I was having using my own mouse and keyboard.

Donghae examined me carefully, checking to see if I was eavesdropping. When he was assured that I was busy with my game, he buried his face in both his hands. In this kind of situation when he was the one caught red-handed, HE WILL BE THE ONE MAD? SERIOUSLY? Min Yu reached out to touch him and her head rested against his back.

The man, with his eyes rimmed red, cringed away from her touch and slumped back on the cushions. "Are you cheating on me?" he asked softly. My fists unknowingly clenched. If the other hyungs were here to see this, I bet they might have punched him right where it hurts for being so stupid. Min Yu shook her head no. "Why would you think that?"

"I SAW YOU WITH KAI A WHILE AGO!" exclaimed Donghae accusingly. The girl maintained a calm composure all throughout, which was highly unacceptable on my part. She was Min Yu, for God's sake! She would have kicked me in the groin if I don't give her what she asks for. Now that her boyfriend was obviously making a fool out of her, SHE'S RELAXED?! Am I in a parallel universe or something?!

"I just ate lunch with him since you said you were busy," muttered Min Yu softly. Busy? Psh. I wanted to scoff out loud if I wasn't so absorbed in the game. In my opinion, Min Yu did the right thing, though. Going out with some other guy while her boyfriend was equally with some other girl? Makes sense. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Makes perfect sense, really.

Donghae's fist landed on the center table with a loud thud and I fought the urge to cringe. "LUNCH? I didn't know lunch included skinship!" he scolded. Min Yu kept her eye on the ground while her fingers interlocked nervously. "Mianhae," she whispered voluntarily, her voice quivering with every word. NO! Why would she be the one to say sorry when not one percent was her fault?!

"And don't you dare say it's not true! I saw you with my own two eyes!" he yelled. "We're just friends, rea--" "And why didn't you tell me you went out with Kai?" he cut her off in every defense. Min Yu kept her head down but it was obvious she was about to cry. My hand almost crushed the mouse into pieces at the way Donghae hyung was acting right now.

Once again, I think these two have exchanged personalities. "Mianhae," said Min Yu for the second time, this time with the obvious fact that she was crying. Even the members feel guilty seeing her cry, and now her all-too-perfect boyfriend didn't seem to care at all, not that Donghae used to be so willing to murder a fly if ever it sipped a drop of blood from her. Weren't things so much better when they weren't a couple?

Donghae stood up, only to sit back down and glare at her. He massaged his temples and made his breathings even. His anger must have subsided from dangerous levels. His hand reached out to hold hers and he kissed it repeatedly. "Why do you always have to hurt oppa, hmm?" he muttered against the back of her hand. OH YEAH? I wanted to scream. WOULD IT HURT YOUR DISHONEST SELF IF I SHOVE YOUR FIST DOWN YOUR THROAT?!

She looked up with her hair matting her tear-strewn cheeks. "Mianhae," Min Yu looked apologetic when she didn't have to be. Donghae also teared up and pulled her in for an embrace. At least, he still knew how to comfort her, even when he himself is the reason for her sadness. Darn it. I hate Donghae in his deepest guts right now.

Donghae's POV

My eyes fluttered open as her phone vibrated again. "Stop texting!" I scolded playfully, nuzzling my face against hers. "Last one. I swear," Min Yu had the usual smile on her face, and for that I was glad. She tapped on her screen a few times before finally shoving her phone under the pillow. "There. Now I can sleep," she held her thumb up at me.

I encircled my arms tighter around her. "Donghae?" she called out after a while. "Yeah?" I lifted my head up to level hers. "You're crushing my lungs and I can't sleep," she complained. "I love you too," I just chuckled, to which she snorted before finally drifting off to sleep. I tossed and turned uncomfortably, feeling like an insomniac.

Minutes passed and the whole pillow vibrated just as her phone did. I groaned and snatched the gadget from underneath. Surprisingly, Min Yu didn't budge even the slightest bit. My curiosity kicked in and I decided to read the text myself. Who was this person that kept texting her in this time of--it's Kai. From the corner of my eye, I checked Min Yu if she was still sound asleep, and when she was, I scrolled onto their messages.

 

 

~Today I turn 15 ☺ ☺ ☺ leave comments!