Chapter 78

Dear Donghae

Beautiful - Beast

Narrator's POV

"...Then we'll ride the rollercoaster, and the boat thing that goes down with water splashing everywhere, then we'll walk to the ride that goes really up, up, up. THEN BOOM!" Eunhyuk's heart left its place and dropped to his feet because of her words. "You're on the ground." Min Yu gestured with her hand suspensely lifeless and still, just like how Eunhyuk was feeling. "Can't we ride the carousel for starters?" he tried, masking his growing nausea.

Min Yu waved him off. "That thing is for kids," said the girl in her Pororo shirt and helicopter hat. She left the fidgety man and walked towards the map standing a few feet away to know her way around the theme park. "Don't let me in. She'll be the death of me. Make something up!" Eunhyuk turned to Donghae. "Like...like...your money isn't enough for all of us! Yes, that's valid enough." He tried, but Donghae cheekily flashed him his credit card.

"She's really happy you agreed to come." Donghae shifted his gaze from his fellow member to Min Yu, who was deep in thinking while trying to toy with the helicopter blades atop her head. "But Kai's here. Kyuhyun's here. YOU are here. Let me go home instead and watch TV and eat ice cream while I imagine how much fun you're having in here," the dancer defended.

Donghae rolled his eyes at him. "Isn't your stingy self enjoying this? I'm treating all of you to the theme park and instead of saying so much as a thank you," Donghae threw his hand to his forehead, attempting to make his imitation as irritating as possible. "'Oh Donghae, I'm going to die. Donghae, she will be the death of me. Donghae, I'm going to die.'"

Eunhyuk, angered over his friend's mocking, walked away, grumbling, "No, we can't ride the carousel because that's only for kids. So I'm old, is that what she's saying?" "What's that, Hyukjae?" Donghae shouted out knowingly. Super Junior's dancing machine spun on his heels, his arms arched over his head in a heart shape. "Nothing. Saranghae~"

Meanwhile, Chanyeol strutted nonchalantly before handing Min Yu her drink. "Can I borrow your helicopter hat for a while?" he tried in the voice that doesn't suit his charming features. "No," answered the girl monotonously as she traced the pathways on the map with her gaze. The EXO member took a long pull from his Coke, perhaps regaining confidence from the plastic cup after his rejection.

"Do they have the rollercoaster that really turns upside-down?" She placed the straw in between her lips as she turned to Chanyeol questioningly. He just shrugged, and they both stare at the map with her arm resting over his shoulder, though it was kind of a struggle because of his lamp post height. She tilted her head to face the happy virus. "Are you jealous of my hat?" And the man just nodded.

"I think they have a freefall ride in here somewhere..." D.O approached while he thoughtfully his chin. "Oh calm down, you guys, they still haven't opened yet," exclaimed Suho who appeared from nowhere. "They will be opening in half an hour," Baekhyun added. His voice was followed by a ring of a bell. When they all turned to the source of the noise, Min Yu could only snort.

She felt someone toy with the blades of her helicopter hat. "I know. Very childish, right?" Kai snickered with a hint of mockery while referring to Baekhyun's pet. Min Yu noticed he already snatched up her drink. Amused, Chanyeol knelt down and patted the toy's head. The bell, wrung around its neck by a red ribbon, shook. "What's its name?" asked Chanyeol, and before he knew it, he was answered by a ttakbam on his forehead. "What IT are you talking about?! My Joongi will hear it and he'll get offended!" reprimanded Baekhyun loudly.

"Joongi?" D.O's naturally big eyes narrowed. "Yes," Baekhyun's angered face changed into a cheerful one. "Clever, isn't it? I just made it up after I bought HIM." He emphasized on the pronoun. "What will you do if it--" Min Yu cut herself off after the pet's owner flashed her a glare. "If he...pops?" She flicked the toy balloon twice, clearly identifying how vulnerable it is.

Seeing how Kai and Suho almost burn their way through him with their dark stares, Baekhyun gulped down the arguments about to surge from his throat. He only stuck his tongue out playfully, nervously knowing what his hyungs might do to him. "Can I borrow Joongjoongi?" Min Yu asked softly, wanting to show it off to her other friends even if it wasn't hers. "S-sure," Baekhyun nodded hurriedly and handed her the leash.

Cheerfully, Min Yu stood up and squeezed Baekhyun's cheek. "You're a good friend." With that, she skipped away merrily. The first member she saw was the evil maknae, who agreed to soak up some sun but not without his console, of course. It was a vital part of him. "Kyuhyun, look at what Baekhyun got," she announced with pride. Kyuhyun just nodded even without looking at it, earning him a frown.

The girl stood in front of him, waiting for his much acceptable response, but it didn't come. The toy balloon felt a little too light, so when a brisk gust of wind came, it blew the toy towards Kyuhyun's feet. Before she could even register what was happening, Kyuhyun already kicked Joongi out of his way. "Who invited you here? You're such a mean person," Min Yu stated irritatedly before walking away.

The next person that caught her eye was Siwon. "Siwon-ah," she called out sadly. "Kyuhyun kicked Baekhyun's Joongjoongi," Min Yu muttered faintly, not wanting Baekhyun to hear. If he hears that his pet was being abused, he would never let her borrow Joongi again. "What's with the hat?" Siwon asked instead, with his arms crossed over his chest as he leaned against the hood of his car.

"It's a helicopter hat," she stated as-a-matter-of-factly."Aren't you even going to ask about Joongjoongi?" The bell sounded again, and Siwon shook his head no. "Where's Eunhyuk?" she asked afterwards. The hat was helping her shield the sunlight from her eyes. "I don't know. I thought you two were talking a while ago?" Siwon's eyes squinted. "But I think he and Donghae are together. I saw them talking to each other," he added. Min Yu picked the toy balloon up and began advancing to Eunhyuk's car.

Instead of finding what she was looking for, she came face to face with somebody else. "Go away, ugly." She shooed him away. "Do you want me to pop that balloon, huh?" Donghae raised an eyebrow. Min Yu's eyes widened and she clutched the toy behind her back. "Don't! Joongjoongi's not mine," she retorted in alarm. "Stupid name," Donghae scoffed.

"I only know one stupid name." Min Yu shifted her gaze away from him and scanned the parking area for any sign of Eunhyuk.

Donghae nodded. "Yes, Min Yu is a really stupid name."

"Donghae is much stu--" "What? What?" Donghae inched towards her, trying to win this one with intimidation. With a sly smile, "Where's Eunhyuk?" questioned Min Yu, finding a loophole out of the situation. "You have a nice hat. Let me borrow it," Donghae replied, clearly out of the question. Min Yu rolled her eyes and shielded both Joongi and her hat from Donghae's grasp. "It's REALLY nice talking to you." She bid sarcastically.

The man stuck his tongue out playfully at her. "Well, you started it." He slung his forearm lazily over his car. "And why are you looking for Hyukjae when I'm right in front of you?" He struck a pose, still finding a way to intimidate her. His brown eyes narrowed and were focused solely on her, his features sharp and aristocratic in every sense. Donghae had one hand shoved inside his jeans pocket as he scrutinized her from head to toe.

"I want to show him Baekhyun's Joongjoongi." Min Yu gestured for him to go away while her knuckles rapped against the car window. "Hyuk?" Min Yu tried peeking at the tinted windows, but the car was unfortunately empty. Donghae heaved an awfully loud sigh and leaned his back against the car. "It just simply means you should pay more attention to who is in front of you than to who isn't," he declared bitterly.

Min Yu stole a glance at him from the corner of her eye. His expression looked ashen and hurt. She advanced sidewards, step by step nearer. All the while, he never looked back at her. When they were side by side -- his right shoulder to her left -- and he still didn't speak a word, Min Yu broke the silence. "I'm just going to return Joongi to its-- I mean, his owner." And she scurried towards where the EXO K members were.

She wasn't even inside the circle that the members created, but Baekhyun already welcomed her -- or the toy balloon -- with open arms. "JOONGI~" he snatched the leash away from Min Yu and walked away after he was reunited with his pet. The five just stared at the newcomer blankly. But Sehun was the first to break the silence. "No one took you seriously, did they?" To which she shook her head no.

The girl shifted her focus to Kai. "Give me my drink back. Chanyeol bought it for me," she ordered, and he returned it at once. "Call me when they begin to open, arasseo?" And she spun on the soles of her feet even before the idols could nod in agreement. All the while, Donghae had been watching her every movement, and his lips unknowingly twitched up to a smile.

But his composure returned cold as soon as she approached, and he loved playing hard to get because she loved trying to get to him. She took a long sip from the straw stuck in her plastic cup and offered him some of her drink. He took it graciously. Midway in his drinking, "Kai drank from the same straw," she informed him softly, and the Coke went up and out of his nose.

When he stared at her with bloodshot eyes, she could only laugh. She laughed heartily at the turn of events. She laughed loudly, boisterously, and she stood there in the middle of the parking lot, laughing and slapping her knees with her eyes tightly shut -- and perhaps Chanyeol's happy virus-ness caught up with her. She laughed and laughed at how Donghae looks.

After her guffaws, she reached deep inside her pocket and handed Donghae a handkerchief. "What if I pay for everyone else's entrance fee except yours? What if I want to enjoy this day with the members only?" he retorted, and the girl wore her biggest frown. She looked down and shifted her weight on the balls of her feet. "I'll just go home, then," she muttered somewhat sadly.

He fought the urge to laugh, knowing he had the upper hand. Donghae took the lid off the cup and drank directly from the cup, tossing the straw that caused the problems in the first place. "Do you think I can do a commercial for Coke?" he asked followed by a light chuckle. Min Yu leaned forward, kissing him gently on the cheek and smiling against the crook of his neck as she nestled her head on his shoulder.

"Who said you could laugh along?" Donghae scolded teasingly, earning him a whine from the girl plus a light punch on his arm. He held her right hand, whose fourth finger had a ring around it. The man clasped it tightly and lifted it up to his lips, kissing her knuckles sweetly. "Aren't you just glad you tasted Kai's saliva?" she asked all of a sudden. He winced. "Don't make me remember."

"YA, MIN YU!" Kai flailed his arms over his head like a stranded person waiting to be rescued from isolation. "THEY'RE OPENING!" His eyes narrowed at the sight in front of him. The girl stood upright with a wide grin plastered across her face. She clasped his hand tighter, wanting to bring him with her towards where the others were. But he took close notice of how Kai glared at him fiercely. "I'll just follow," Donghae smiled and gestured for her to move along.

Jongin's face softened as he saw Min Yu approaching, opposite the expression he had worn towards his Super Junior senior. He didn't look up to Donghae that much anymore, not after..."Have you seen Hyuk?" She scrunched her nose involuntarily. "It used to be Eunhyuk and Hyukjae, now it's plain Hyuk. When will you be any less respectful?" Eunhyuk emerged from behind.

Min Yu, ecstatic enough, jumped into his embrace. "Ya, where did you go? I've been looking for you everywhere!" she stated accusingly. "Why? I was gone for, like, ten freaking minutes, you clingy person." Eunhyuk flashed his signature gummy smile. The girl smacked his head playfully before cocking her head from side to side frantically. "I wanted to show you somethi--someone!"

Dissatisfied with the lacking EXO K members, she tapped Suho on the shoulder. "Where's Baekhyun?" she asked, but before her tone indicated the question mark on her statement, she already spotted the one she was looking for. Min Yu jogged towards him. "Can I borrow Joongi?" she prompted softly, like a child asking for favors. But Baekhyun shook his head no. "YOU LET HIM GET KICKED BY KYUHYUN HYUNG!" he reprimanded.

"Who told you that?" she prodded.

Baekhyun clutched his pet toy close to his chest. "Joongjoongi."

"Fine then." Min Yu crossed her arms over her chest and begrudgingly headed to the queue forming towards the entrance. She noticed how Siwon was intently reading something and Kyuhyun was still fidgeting with and cursing his console that clearly had nothing to do with his unexpected defeat. Sehun watched him play, and chuckled to himself, perhaps at the knowledge of some inside joke.

Her sulk deepened. "Why the long face?" asked Kyungsoo almost worriedly as he rummaged through his bag for a towel to wipe away the sheet of sweat forming on the girl's forehead. "Is it THAT time of the month?" he interrogated. Min Yu was about to laugh out loud until she realized he was serious. The wide-eyed kind of serious. The D.O kind of serious.

When she didn't respond, he continued. "Nothing to worry about! I have everything under control," Kyungsoo said reassuringly. "I have tampons--" "May I ask why you have tho--" "Mineral water, aspirin, birth control pills--" "Kyungsoo, why do you ha--" "And juice! Yes, I have juice too. I also have my first aid kit and some medicine for motion sickness." He looked up with a smug smile. "Oh you have everything under control, alright," Min Yu sighed.

Donghae's POV

"Oh god, oh god. AAAAH!" Chanyeol had his hands up in the air. Baekhyun was smiling from ear to ear like a crazed fan girl as he sat on the other end of the bench. Kai, however, covered his face while pacing back and forth indecisively. "Chanyeol, darn Chanyeol..." he continuously grumbled to himself over Chanyeol's loud shouts. After much of his suffering, Jongin left.

Other people in the same ride were staring at Chanyeol weirdly. Some parents even got off and took their children away, shielding their innocent minds from the craziness happening inside the man who was on some kind of illegal drugs. But Chanyeol enjoyed himself, nonetheless, clapping his hands excitedly with each round.

He remained on his own spot -- or horse, I should say -- after two, three rounds of the grand carousel at the center of the theme park, and Chanyeol seemed like he was having the time of his life -- no one was allowed to take his happiness away from him. I looked down at the laces of my shoes, somewhat still nervous that the dizziness that took over me after I rode the rollercoaster with Min Yu would resurface. Speaking of whom, where is she, anyway?

"Ya Choi Siwon," I greeted when he answered after the first ring. "I thought you were just going to take a stroll around? Where did you take Min Yu?" As I talked, Chanyeol and Sehun already had their fill of the carousel, and I actually overheard an elderly couple sigh in relief. I gestured to the phone against my ear, and the two distanced themselves a few feet away.

Baekhyun, who was already standing on one corner, waved fervently at the fans with only a metal railing separating them. His eye smile was really something, I should say. "Donghae." It was Min Yu's voice now. "We're in line for this huge Ferris wheel." There was an obvious hint of excitement in her voice. "Hurry up and join us." And she hung up.

"Hyung, where are they?" Sehun tapped me on the shoulder. I gestured to the theme park's thickly populated pride. The Ferris wheel looked like it touched the skies with its incredible height. "Let's go~" Chanyeol, being the happy virus he was, led the way for the four of us. His degree of amusement never decreased ever since we stepped on the park's grounds about five hours ago.

We arrived at the foot of the Ferris wheel, and -- as usual -- caught the attention of everyone in line. Eunhyuk waved his right arm to signal where they were. The three EXO K members with me were about to cut the queue, but I stopped them in their tracks. "It's unfair for those who waited for so long," I nodded to the long line of people in front of us.

Like on some kind of sorcery, the crowd divided into two, like the story Siwon keeps on telling and telling because he quoted it from his Bible. "Donghae hyung is jjang~" Sehun muttered to himself happily as we had no choice but to advance straight to the front of the line. Along the way, bright camera flashes blinded us. But oh well. Celebrity perks.

Min Yu got rid of her helicopter hat long ago, and I took the chance to mess with her hair. "Did you enjoy the carousel with Chanyeol?" she asked, patting my collar in place. It was difficult to tune out her voice over the open space where everyone was talking to one another. "To be honest, I'm more of his babysitter than his senior." I shrugged, to which she chuckled.

I took a step forward, stooping low enough to plant just a quick kiss on her che-- "It's our turn already," Eunhyuk breathlessly managed to stand in between us. "Yes, if you could wait just a sec--" "Your console went dead, didn't it?" Min Yu asked accusingly as she was helplessly dragged away by Kyuhyun. "See what you did?!" I glared at Eunhyuk, who showed his gummy smile before dragging Sehun to the vacant passenger capsule following the capsule containing Suho and Siwon.

Min Yu entered the next one together with Kyuhyun, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol. I advanced to where they were, but a staff blocked my way, informing that one capsule contains four passengers at the most. I scratched my head irritatedly, knowing I'd have to go on the next one by myself. When the preceding capsule was lowered, "You go first, hyung," Kai said from behind me.

As planned, I entered first before him. Putting our seatbelts on, it was awkward with just the two of us. From where we were, I could clearly hear Eunhyuk's frantic calls for his mother as he saw how high we were off-ground. Sitting across from me, Kai followed my gaze out of the capsule's small window. "Thank you for today," he mumbled softly with a tight smile. I just nodded.

The ride began, and I could feel the lift-off under my feet. "So..." Kai started after a deep breath. "Getting married, huh?" He rubbed his palms together, perhaps feeling cold. He appeared so calm and under-control while I felt like crying and searching for the emergency landing button. I let out a small laugh. "Yeah."

"Are you really sure about it?" he prodded like a detective. "I don't want her calling me and hanging up breathless and me rushing to her house only to find a sink of blood and...not that I don't want to see and talk to her but...it's just...you know what I mean," he stated exasperatingly and ran a hand through his hair afterwards.

I nodded. "I'll make sure none of that ever happens again. I mean, I would have to kill myself before that happens. Believe it or not, I've learned through the hardest way possible. And if you think it's crazy of her to accept my proposal, then we're on the same page here," I confessed.

He looked out the window, not minding the fact that we were a hundred feet off the ground. We were still on the lift-off, still not at the highest peak yet. "She's just this little kid with chubby cheeks and pretty smile. I love to , just like how she loves to fight back." Kai smiled widely, sincere this time. "I adore that little girl." He shifted his gaze to me. "And Min Yu agreed to be my best friend."

Equally sincere, I smiled reassuringly. "I'll take care of your best friend."

Narrator's POV

Too tired to drive, everyone decided to squeeze into the supposed-to-be eight-seater van, and they were twelve. "Anyone missing?" Their driver asked and Donghae, being the only one with his eyes open, nodded. He yanked the sliding door to close ever so soundlessly, afraid to hear ten groans of complaint from all the sleeping figures.

The van was filled with peaceful snores and occasional slurred sounds from the girl using Donghae's chest as her makeshift pillow. "The hat...blades...Joongi..." she mumbled incoherently. Donghae tilted his head to hear her more clearly. "What?" he tried making her repeat it again. "Yeah." Min Yu only nodded with her eyes closed.

His shoulders trembled slightly as he laughed at how cute she acted. She sat upright like she was alert and awake, only to fall on the opposite side, embracing her seatmate, Suho, as he slept soundly beside her. Min Yu buried her face on the leader's shoulder, her hair sometimes blowing from the functioning air-conditioner overhead. "No." Donghae disapproved greatly while trying to pry her hands off of Suho. He didn't enjoy the sight as much.

Min Yu stomped her feet, throwing a fit like a spoiled little kid. And she ended up face flat on Donghae's lap, her face in between his thighs. "Is everything fine back there?" the driver asked, and Donghae was thankful the ahjussi kept his eyes fixed on the road ahead -- or else he might overlook the situation otherwise. "Aigoo~" he exclaimed, almost congratulating himself when he successfully arranged Min Yu to sleep in an upright position.

The trip back home went on, and the only Super Junior member awake grew exhausted not because of a tiring day at the theme park but because of his girlfriend who seemed to be so restless even while asleep. When the van stopped in front of their dorm moments later, it took Donghae almost half an hour to pry his fellow members awake.

It was not yet Halloween, but it seemed like there was a procession of zombies outside their dorm as everyone dragged their feet lazily to their rooms. Donghae, his spine overly bent to absorb Min Yu's weight on his back, muttered his thanks to the driver and closed the door shut. The van hummed back to life as it headed towards its next destination: EXO's dorm.

"Min Yu," Donghae tried prodding her consciousness. He stood, breathless, on the front door. "Min Yu." He tried once again, louder this time. "Hmm?" the girl responded faintly. "Can you walk?" he asked, wanting the burden to be lifted from his shoulders -- literally. She shook her head no before clasping her hands around his neck, and his tiring adventure into the house and up the stairs began again.

When he arrived in front of his bedroom door, Donghae hurriedly yanked it open. Laying her gently on the bed, he knelt down to remove her shoes and pull the covers up to her chin. He smiled a little, probing her cheek with his thumb softly, before he stood up. The man was about to leave her in peace, and it took much strength for Min Yu to sit upright and point to the cold space beside her, still with her eyes heavy-lidded.

He smiled widely, accepting the invitation as he kicked his shoes off and climbed up the mattress beside her. Min Yu laid back much comfortably, pulling him with her. Donghae wasn't sleepy -- not even in the very sense of the word. And he grinned to himself, his lips twitching up, while he pondered on how near they were to the used-to-be.

His gaze trailed down to her lips, and he calculated about how long it was since the last time she kissed him with those lips. He couldn't bring himself to think that the last time those lips connected with his was the day before she left. Yes, he openly admitted the fact to himself now. No more heart-clenching episodes afterwards. She was back, anyway.

"Min Yu," he called out softly as his hand searched for hers. His forefinger drew imaginary shapes at the back of her palm. "Ya," Donghae blew on her eyes playfully, causing her eyelids to flutter -- but not fully open. "WHAT?!" she responded, obviously disturbed from her rest. He kicked the covers down to their feet as he pulled her out of the bed. "Let's get married tonight."

"Let me sleep first--" "Let's go!" Donghae held her on the waist for support, knowing how she sways to and fro as she walks sleepily. Her groggy mind wasn't clearly wide awake to fully operate yet. "Where..." She didn't get to finish her sentence because her eyes were beginning to close once more. Her feet shuffled soundly against the carpeted floor as she was practically being dragged.

There was a loud knock, and she opened her eyelids halfway. Donghae opened the door by himself after they had crossed the hallway. He flicked the lights on, earning groans from the figure sprawled on the bed. "Choi Siwon." He prodded him awake with light kicks. "For heaven's sake, I'm trying to sleep!" he complained angrily.

"But you love hyung, right?" Donghae tried chiding. "Donghae hyung had been very kind to you, right? RIGHT?"

"Okay what do you want?" Siwon sat up, rubbing his eyes sleepily. Donghae was the only person fully awake among them three. Excitedly, he clasped Min Yu's hand tightly as the girl kept shifting in and out of consciousness while standing up. "We want to get married right now," he confessed. Unable to contain his excitement, it looked as if Donghae fought the urge to jump up and down.

Siwon lifted his hands up, like a priest blessing children. Donghae bowed his head low while Min Yu had her head down as she slept, so it was not a problem at all. "Do you, Lee Donghae, take her as your wife for...for..." "For richer and for poorer?" Donghae suggested happily. "Yeah, for etcetera etcetera. Do you?" Siwon continued.

The one-minute groom smiled. "I do."

"And do you--" Siwon was cut off as Min Yu nodded hastily, just to get it over with as quickly as possible. Donghae held Min Yu by her chin and forced her to nod. "She says she does, too." He spoke for her. "Well then," Siwon crept up to his bed and resumed his sleeping position. "Now that it's done, let me go back to sleep."

"But--"

"You're welcome." Siwon gestured for Donghae to go away, and within seconds, fell deep in his slumber. Donghae smiled to himself while dragging Min Yu back to his bedroom. Without another word, Min Yu fell back on the mattress and turned her back on Donghae. He watched all these, and he could only scratch his head. "But I haven't kissed you yet..." He grumbled his way to the bedside table and took a piece of paper and pen.

He scribbled hurriedly, smiling to himself like a fool occasionally. And when he finished, Donghae set the pen down contentedly. Now, he thought, he could sleep in peace. The man shuffled back to bed, happy his bed wasn't empty. How long has he wished for this moment to happen again? He doesn't quite remember it now.

When Min Yu woke up, she was about to scream. All she could see was green and it was a different kind of blindness. A breeze through a crack in the window blew, and the green also danced with the wind. She almost wanted to slap herself. But before she could do so, the girl removed the piece of paper attached to her forehead.

I will kill the spiders. I won’t ever forget to fix my collar. I will eat the vegetables you don't like. I will kiss the paper cuts, the door-slammed finger, and the wall-bumped forehead. I’ll try my hardest not to whisper questions and comments during movies. I will let you win at bets sometimes. Other times, I will not. I will brush my teeth with you. I will send you random texts and leave you silly gifts -- not always, not on schedule -- just whenever I want to, whenever I think you need one, two, three, or ten. I will hold your hand. I love you ^^

Twitter

Facebook