Dark

Dear Donghae

Good Luck - Super Junior H

Narrator's POV

"Ah~ such a good day~" Donghae muttered to himself happily as they strolled back to his car. Min Yu only smiled after giving him a glance, but he went on with his happy-rant anyway. "I mean, I wasn't really expecting this day to be any better than the rest," he told her while holding the door open for the girl. His statement was cut off as he closed the passenger door shut before walking to the driver's seat swiftly.

"But when I saw little hands and little feet and the whole baby, I became so excited and so happy that I just bit on my forefinger to keep from squealing," he continued. "You mean the squealing your fans do for you?" Min Yu suggested, giggling to herself. "Yeah, that kind," he nodded while pulling the seatbelt over his torso. "But I would have been over the moon if -- to the grocery, right? -- we have known the baby's gender."

"OVER THE MOON!" Min Yu exclaimed while laughing. "Big words, my friend, big words~ don’t be so impatient because -- yes, we ran out of food -- we'll know the baby's gender next month, don't worry," she added. "Ah fine, fine. But I do not prefer any gender. I'll love our baby no matter what," Donghae turned to face her with a smile that sought her approval with his words.

Whether Min Yu was pregnant or not, Donghae didn't really expect her to be so sentimental and sensitive -- except on other matters, of course -- but he didn't expect her to be all fan girling over him. He was used to it. His hand was on the steering wheel coolly while he lifted the free one up and wound it around her waist. "Wait, what did that doctor mean when she said you couldn't lactate? I didn't get that one," he asked.

The girl settled more comfortably with his arm around her and tried not to blush. "It means I can't produce any milk," she mumbled almost inaudibly. Donghae titled his head to the side, a cocky smile plastered on his face. "What does that mean? Please explain to me. I want to understand," he pleaded in an awfully teasing tone. Min Yu winced. "Do I really have to say it? You're making things difficult for me."

"Okay, I get that you can't produce any milk," Donghae stated monotonously, earning him a weak punch on the arm. He laughed. "Why are you so worked up about that? But is it my fault, though? Have I the life out of them whe--" "Focus on the road, Donghae," Min Yu cut him off, feeling more and more ashamed by the second. "WHAT? I'm serious here," the man defended.

He was about to say more when Min Yu covered his mouth. "Just tell me when we're already there, okay?" she murmured before closing her eyes and drifting off to a quick nap. And indeed, he shook her gently awake moments later to inform her that they were already at the grocery store's parking lot. Rubbing her eyes sleepily, she got off the car and didn't say a word until they had entered.

With all the attention of random people inside, Min Yu caught scent of the raw meat by the frozen section of the establishment, causing her to excuse herself to go to the nearest restroom. "Water?" Donghae asked, but she shook her head no before walking briskly to the ladies' room. Once inside, she rushed to an empty stall and threw up whatever was in her stomach.

When she was sure there was no more, Min Yu wiped and flushed the toilet, composing herself before walking out. She rinsed with tap water by the sink and washed her hands. And there was a faint cracking sound before everything went black. The power was out, but it wasn't as if it was totally dark with nothing else to see.

It was just that whatever widening Min Yu did to her eyes, she just couldn't see anything, though the door was slightly open. Nervously, she fumbled for her phone, pressing the speed dial for Donghae. Her hands shook violently, panic surging through her slowly. "Where are you?" she asked as soon as he answered. "The power went out. Stay where you are, I'm going there, okay?" he reassured before hanging up.

Min Yu pressed down on the screen of her phone to keep the light on as she tried to make out to see anything. She bit down on her lip and mumbled to herself, trying not to cry at such a petty thing. Only when she felt Donghae near did she broke out into silent sobs. "Hey, what happened? Were you hurt? Are you alright?" he babbled all of a sudden, running his hand up and down her back in comfort.

Before she could explain anything, something whizzed back to life and like what God had said, there was light. Donghae slowly backed out until they had exited the restroom. "I just couldn't see anything, that's all," Min Yu explained, drying her tear-stricken cheeks. Unconvinced, the man examined her intently, but she pulled at his wrists and started walking away. "I'm okay, I'm okay," she muttered softly.

Donghae shrugged it off. "If you say so, but I still can't believe you made me enter the ladies' restroom," he sighed while advancing to the nearest vacant shopping cart he can see. "Too bad you can't ride this anymore," he commented, giving the cart a little push. "But maybe you--" "No, Donghae. I will not let you ride the cart with me pushing you around and everywhere," Min Yu interrupted him in midsentence, somehow knowing what he was about to say.

"Way to ruin my dreams," he pouted, stomping his feet immaturely towards the various shelves. "You just go buy stuff and I'll go look for food, okay?" Min Yu informed him, to which he just nodded curtly, examining the row of disinfectants and wondering which brand and slogan convinces him more. But in the end, he went with the brand that promised to kill not just cockroaches but also spiders.

After moments of roaming around and after his shopping cart got harder and harder to push, he figured that only food was missing, and that Min Yu was still nowhere to be found. Donghae dragged the cart along with him as he combed through every nook and cranny, trying to search for his wife who promised to buy some food.

Finally, he had reached the fruits section, which was on the farthest region of the supermarket. He cocked his head from side to side, trying to locate her as quickly as he can. Finally, after he followed the wary gaze of an on-duty security officer, Donghae saw Min Yu by the numerous crates of apples. "Hey, why does that guy look at you as if you're about to steal somethi--"

"Hmm?" Min Yu turned to him with stuffed with the fleshy apple in her hand. "I'm not stealing it. I'll pay for it after I eat it." She took another bite while glancing at him innocently. Donghae let out a chuckle. "Since when did you like eating fruits? I'd be more shocked to see you eating vegetables though," he commented.

"It's not my fault I like apples," the girl rolled her eyes at him before sinking her teeth in the rosy fruit. "Since when did you like apples? Or fruits in general?" The man asked as he turned to a sales staff to give him a bag full of fresh apples. "Just...recently," Min Yu managed to say even with full. "And by recently you mean...?" he arched an eyebrow. "Fifteen minutes ago."

Donghae's POV

"Don't kiss, don't kiss, don't kiss, don't kiss," Min Yu cheered at the movie like what people do at a soccer game. But the actors leaned in anyway and kissed. "UGH, let's switch to a new movie. I never liked romantic movies," she groaned, her head falling back to the headrest with a loud thud. "Careful," I reminded obnoxiously, placing my feet up the center table.

She stubbornly rolled her eyes at me before digging in the bowl for another slice of apple. "Has ahjumma gone home? It's getting late already," Min Yu asked, referring to the house helper I had hired to do all the chores Min Yu wasn't allowed to do. "Yeah, she left like a few hours ago. Why?" I rubbed at my eyes. She shook her head and shifted to rest her head on my shoulder.

Min Yu cuddled closer, kicking her feet over mine. We were silent for a while, concentrating on some TV show we've surely never seen before, but since it was 10 in the evening and Min Yu wasn't saying anything, I decided to leave the remote in peace. When the TV network's logo disappeared from the bottom left, I knew then that a round of loud commercial will follow.

"Have I thanked you already?" I asked, pressing down on the remote to mute the TV. "For what?" she shuffled in her seat to look up at me. "For our baby." I smiled, my hand creeping to caress her stomach. Min Yu, in turn, lifted her palm up my cheek before leaning in to kiss me. Getting into it, I decided to awkwardly fumble for the remote to turn the television off just so I can concentrate wrapping my whole world securely in my arms.

To me, though, her kisses could find the cure to cancer and bring world wars to an end -- and those were still all understatements. Ironic is one, possibly because she was just babbling to movie actors about not kissing, yet it was exactly what she did. As stomach-flipping as eating four whole apples in less than 5 hours. "Thank you," I muttered faintly. She pulled away and smiled.

Head spinning in a daze from a mix of surreal and non-fiction, I just stared at her, dumbfounded and speechless. Her face looked ghostly pale in darkness, with her eyes as wide as saucers from out-of-nowhere fear. "Did you just turn off the television to scare me?" Min Yu asked, her voice unsteady. I had no idea where this feeling came from.

But I looked up at the lamp, which hung from the wall, that lit the entire bedroom with a faint, yellow light. "Babo, turn on the lights -- and it's not because I'm afraid of the dark or anything," she tried feeling around her surroundings as she spoke, "It's just that I really can't see anything." I held her by the shoulders for her to face me.

Her eyes were searching, trying to make out something from the void. I held my hand up in front of her eyes, moving it from side to side. Contrary to what I expected, she wasn't overreacting. Min Yu really couldn't see anything. To prove myself wrong -- that it really WAS dark -- and to give her the benefit of my doubt, I looked up again at the lamp. But it was switched on, leaving the room glowing with its faint light.

"Y-yeah, I'll..." I bit my lip, trying to sound in control and not otherwise, "I'll just turn the lights on." I stood up and walked my talk. Min Yu sighed in relief as the familiar brightness greeted her. I approached and helped her stand up. "Are you okay?" I asked, noticing how she took sharp breaths for every step towards the bathroom. Min Yu just nodded.

She advanced towards the sink, resting her hands on the counter, and took deep breaths, as if trying to relieve some unknown pain. I placed my hand on her back. "What's wrong? Everything okay?" I tried coaxing answers. But as a response, she only smiled weakly. Though still unconvinced, I handed her the toothbrush and began brushing out teeth.

Afterwards, I held her hand and guided her towards the bed, tucking her in before turning the lights off. I climbed up the bed and laid right next to her, snuggling close. She hadn't spoken a word since the incident with the lights being "turned off". I felt stupid for not knowing what was happening, and I didn't want to know until it's too late. I needed some answers.

--

I woke up to the sound of muffled crying. "Don't look, Donghae. No, just don't--" "What's happening?" I sat up, my hand resting over something damp. "No, it's-- When I woke up, I was--" She cut herself off, staring at the pool of blood soaking on the sheets, then cried some more. I stood up, feeling fully awake, and carried her, descending the stairs briskly and walking out the door.

When we go to the car, I made her lie on the backseat, cursing myself for forgetting my keys on the bedside table. I ran up the stairs, taking two steps at a time in my haste. I had absolutely no idea what to feel. But I got in the driver's seat and drove quickly. For once, my careless driving had been put to good use. We got to the doctor faster than any ambulance would.

Yanking the car door open, I carried Min Yu out and was grateful for the nurse who opened the door -- or else, I would have kicked it open. "No, they'll take the baby away from me," Min Yu cried against my chest. "Everything's..." I panted breathlessly, locking gazes with Dr. Jin, who seemed to be as surprised as I was, "Everything's going to be fine, okay?" I laid her gently on the squeaking hospital bed.

Only when I set foot on the cold floor of the doctor's office did I realize I was barefoot. But it didn't matter. "What happened?" the doctor's instincts quickly kicked in, and she set her stethoscope over Min Yu's stomach. "I woke up and she was bleeding and I don't understand how it happened, I mean, I take good care of her and all..." I ran a hand through my disheveled hair.

As I spoke, Dr. Jin did her routine of placing some gel all over Min Yu's stomach before using the probe to examine her insides. The good nurse, who opened the door a while ago, came in to hand me a glass of water, which I chugged down with shaking hands. The ultrasound monitor showed the baby, who didn't seemed to suffer any complications at all, and I almost plopped down on the floor in relief.

"Nothing's wrong," the doctor muttered to herself before switching the whizzing machine off. She placed her hand on Min Yu's stomach, feeling certain parts and asking if it hurt -- to which Min Yu just shook her head no. The doctor her chin, puzzled. "Okay, you can sit up now," she stated. I helped Min Yu to get up and stand.

She motioned to the door. "I don't want to hear what she has to say, Donghae," Min Yu looked up at me from her red-rimmed eyes. "You go talk to her and I'll just wait outside, okay?" she spoke softly, almost whispering. But since I want to get it over with, I let her do what she wants. I assisted her until the waiting room, where she sat comfortably, before going back to the doctor's office.

"So what's wrong?" I greeted after entering and sitting by the table. Dr. Jin scratched her head, alternating her gaze from one paper to another. "There's nothing wrong, actually. That's the good news," she only muttered. A whole minute passed, with me just waiting for her to continue, but she didn't add anything more. "If there are good news, there are also bad news too, yes?" I thought to myself out loud.

"I don't know if you could call it bad or whatever," she started. "But I'll be honest with you. My profession, including my studies and my experiences, told me that if a pregnant woman is bleeding in her second trimester, it's possibly miscarriage or something more." She stopped, consulting her papers again. "But I don't understand. I really don't know what's happening," she confessed.

I didn't speak, and the woman exhaled sharply. "Don't misunderstand me, okay? I'm thankful that your baby is fine and alive and growing and healthy. I'm really happy for the two of you. It's just that I don't know what to tell you because I also have no idea what's happening inside her. But the baby is healthy. I assure you that. It's just that..." she cut herself off, her eyes staring at me and looking apologetic.

"It's just that Min Yu won't be as equally fine," I said, clearly an understatement. "Let me promise you this," Dr. Jin held a finger up, "I'll keep her under serious observation. But you also have to help me," she stated clearly. "How?" I asked, not wanting her to make things suspenseful. "There's this thing that doctors do to their children patients. Since they can't understand medical terms like adults do, they have a certain rule," she started.

"When a kid gets his knees skinned and his mom brings him to a doctor, the doctor will ask him to rate the pain. And I want you to do the same to her. Ask her to rate the pain. One being the least painful and ten being the greatest. If Min Yu rates it from zero to 3, it's not something very serious. Maybe she just needs some rest or she has exhausted herself out."

"If she rates it from four to seven, go to me. If it's from eight to ten, go directly to the hospital. Her bleeding without any pains means it's not something serious. You just give her a pad to use. But you have my permission to break all these rules if she's bleeding and there's pain. Don't panic, okay? She needs you the most at this time."

Narrator's POV

From the doctor to their own house, Min Yu kept shut, even as Donghae told him everything the doctor has said on the car ride home. She went directly to their bedroom and carefully shielded her eyes from the bloody spot on the bed. "I'll run you a bath, okay?" Donghae appeared behind her, flashing a reassuring smile, to which she just nodded.

Min Yu yanked the closet doors open and grabbed one oversized shirt that went down to her mid-thighs. She didn't even dare look down at her blood-stained legs and dress. She advanced to the bathroom and stripped herself off, wincing as she caught the metallic scent of blood in her clothes. But she settled in the bathtub anyway, closing her eyes before seeing blood spiraling up the water surface.

It had been half an hour or so when she decided she was soaked through and through, even though she didn't do anything but sit in the tub and contemplate over things. But she got up anyway, deciding she had already achieved the purpose of the bath. She got dressed and went out. When she exited the bathroom, there was no more evidence of the early morning incident, though it made her feel guilty.

"Noona." She looked around to hear where that voice was coming from. It clearly wasn't from inside the bedroom. But it was faint and sounded almost like a whimper, so Min Yu didn't even think that it was Donghae. Self-denial was really strong on this one, though. The girl peeked through a slight opening of the bedroom door.

"Donghae? What happened?" Min Jae sounded surprised from the other line. And she immediately figured something was wrong. "I...We..." He took a deep breath after wiping away the tears rolling down his cheek. "We went to the hospital this morning. Min Yu was bleeding. But don't misunderstand, okay? The doctor said the baby was fine," he explained, skipping the part about Min Yu's condition.

Min Jae breathed a sigh of relief. "Where is she? Is she there with you?" she asked, full of concern. "Yes, she's taking a bath. I'm scared to leave home because something might happen when I'm not around," he confessed, silently leaking the tears he had prevented from falling a while ago. "Don't...don't cry, Donghae, okay? She'll be fine. Min Yu will be fine," Min Jae comforted, though she wasn't so sure herself.

"I never felt so helpless, noona. She was bleeding and I didn't know what to do. I don't..." Donghae breathed in sharply. "I don't want to lose her like before, noona," he cried, and Min Jae felt sorry for him. "No one wants to lose her too. Stop crying now, okay? Be strong for her. If you want, we'll go visit you today. I'll bring Min Young with me," she offered.

And though Min Yu didn't hear what her mother had to tell Donghae to comfort him, she felt sorry. She felt sorry not for herself but for Donghae. But either way, she couldn't do anything about it, or could she?