Like A Family

Dear Donghae

Love Girl - CNBlue

Narrator's POV

"Appa, annyeong~!" Min Young prodded Donghae awake. He stumbled to get up and squinted a few times to let his eyes adjust to the bright sunlight. It was already morning, and he fell asleep on Min Yu's couch.

"Annyeonghaseyo," he greeted and embraced the younger. "What are you doing here?" Min Jae asked and looked around the apartment. "I fell asleep while waiting for Min Yu. But Chunji said she was with him, so I decided to stay," he answered groggily.

"Appa, I'm about to go to school," Min Young proudly announced. "What time is it?" he asked. "Noon," the mother answered. "Really?" he stood up and stretched. "Have you eaten yet?" he knelt down to face the child.

"Not yet," she pouted. Donghae chuckled. This kid was really like her sister. "Ask omma if you can go out with me for lunch," he invited. "Omma..." "Of course. Just make sure you go back here before 2, okay? Your classes will start at 2:30," she reminded.

"Come on. Let's go out on a date," he held Min Young's small hand and they exited the apartment.

Donghae's POV

"Why did you take afternoon classes?" I asked Min Young as we walked across the streets. "I don't want to wake up early. It's too stressful," she answered. Her little backpack bounced merrily behind her as she walked.

"Are you excited to go to school?" I interrogated. "Not really. I want to study by myself. Being with other children is noisy and too distracting," she covered her ears cutely. I smiled and we continued walking.

"Appa are we there yet?" she asked. "Not yet. Why, are you already tired?" I knelt down to face her. "My shoes are broken," she pointed downwards.

"No, they aren't. Your laces are just untied. I'll fix it," I volunteered and put one loop over the other to tie the knot. "There. Just tell appa if you're tired, okay? I'll carry you," I held her hand tighter as we neared the restaurant.

"Appa, have you seen unnie? I miss her," she said all of a sudden. My heart clenched with the child's honest statement. "When did she last visit you?" I got curious. "Just days ago. But I miss her already. I miss her and Chunji oppa," she looked and stared at the people walking around us.

"Is Chunji oppa nice to you?" I asked and she nodded. "We always play and he brings me presents. But I miss unnie more," she frowned.

"Yeah. I miss her too," I chided.

We arrived at Starbucks and we proceeded to enter. We walked over to the counter and I let Min Young choose what she wants to eat. We had lots of time anyway. She ordered what Min Yu used to order, and I begin to miss her more.

We sat at an empty table and talked. "Where's unnie?" she kept asking. I sighed and decided to call Min Yu. "Yoboseyo?" she answered. Her voice sent tingles throughout my body with  joy, and I suddenly forgot my last night's frustrations just waiting for her to come home.

"Min Young misses you already. We're eating lunch. Come join us," I invited, playing with the child's hair. "She's there with you? Sure, wait for me," she said and hung up. She was ready to do anything for her sister. I might use it to my advantage, kekeke. I want to always be with Min Young so her older sister would be there too.

"Donghae appa where's your house?" Min Young asked.

"I live with Eunhyuk appa, and with Heechul appa, with Siwon appa, with them," I answered. "You're too crowded there. You should live with unnie. She's alone," she suggested, making me amused. "Unnie lives with Chunji oppa. Unnies and oppas live in apartments. Appas live in dorms," I replied.

"Appa, where's your girlfriend?" Min Young asked.

"Where do you learn those words?" Min Yu butted in. "Why are you so overprotective? She's 7!" I exclaimed and moved to make space for her to sit on. "Omma watches dramas on television," the younger answered.

"See? The next thing we know, she'll ask if Leeteuk has a mistress or something," she grumbled. "She's smart. She knows better," I defended.

Min Yu's POV

"Open your mouth wider," Donghae ordered as he fed Min Young lunch. She asked him random questions and he answered willingly. They seemed to enjoy each other's company. And I was entertained by them as we ate.

"Unnie, Min Young said she missed you," Donghae teased Min Young. "But he said he missed you too!" she pointed her finger menacingly at him. He covered playfully.

"That was a secret!" and they both laughed.

"Unnie missed Min Young but not Donghae," I rode in with the joke. My sister giggled at Donghae and he pretended to cry.

"See? You made him cry, unnie," she tried to comfort him as he buried his face in his hands. "He's not crying. He's sleeping," I pushed him gently. He swayed to and fro and rested his head on my shoulder. "Unnie wants to be fed too," he said and brought a spoon to my mouth.

"Haha. You two are sweet," Min Young exclaimed and clapped her hands delightedly. I almost choked on my food. "Where do you learn those words?!" I scolded.

"She just knows the truth. Children don't lie, you know," Donghae gave me a wink. I pretended to vomit and act disgusted. Min Young stood up and put her hands on her hips.

"Unnie, are you pregnant?" she asked.

And now, it was Donghae's turn to choke. "No. I was just joking," I smiled and explained calmly. I should really tell omma not to watch drama and soap operas with my sister.

"Is it mine? But we never--" his eyes widened. "Babo!" I blushed deep red and cut Donghae off. He laughed and laughed until tears rolled down his cheeks. I punched his arm jokingly and gave him the silent treatment. "Hey, what's that?" he pointed at the ring on my finger. "I don't know. It's a gift from someone," I replied.

"Don't tell me..." he started and looked at me with disbelief in his eyes. "No, it's not. Today's our 8th anniversary. It's just a gift," I explained, knowing that he thinks I'm already engaged to Chunji. But he was wrong.

"Yes!" he exclaimed. "I still have a chance," he smiled to himself as he slid another portion of food into Min Young's mouth. "Yes," I held his hand under the table. "Yes you do."

Donghae's POV

"Where'd you put my boxers?" Min Yu whined as she paced around the living room that night. "I threw it into the hamper. You wore it already!" I answered while flipping through different channels.

"BUT I LIKE THAT ONE!" she dragged the laundry basket in front of me. "You look for it," she ordered. "I'll just reheat the dinner I made you last night," I stood up and headed to the kitchen.

"Why did you clean the house in the first place? I like to keep things where I want it," she complained while sifting through all her dirty clothes.

I put the food inside the microwave oven and set the timer. "I just want to help you a bit with the cleaning," I said. "Sweet. But really, it's making me insane with just looking for my stuff," she complained.

I waited for the food and made her coffee at the same time. "Here it is," she announced and kicked her hamper back to her room. "You've become so messy now that you live alone," I commented, pouring hot water into a mug.

"Why don't you get a maid if you're lazy with the cleaning?" "I don't want a maid. Plus, I can't afford it," she sat back on the couch.

"I--" "No, I don't want you to pay for it," she stopped me before I even start my sentence. "Well, you have to do the cleaning yourself. You don't sweep the floor, you don't rearrange furnitures. All you do is wash the dishes, wash your clothes, and dispose the garbage. That's not cleaning," I scolded.

"Are you free this weekend?" she slumped back. "Why?" I demanded.

"Help me clean up," she whined. "By 'help', you mean..." "Help. You and me. I swear I'd help," she said. "Fine. But if you don't even lift a finger with the job, I'd kick you out and live here instead," I took the food out of the microwave.

I heard feet shuffling from behind and she crept up on my back. I felt her hands fixing the hem of my shirt and encircling it around my neck.

"You won't do that," she whispered, nuzzling her face against my neck. "I can," I fought back. "You really want me to be homeless? Fine. I'd live with Chunji," she argued. "Go ahead. I'll go back to Thailand," I threatened, and tried to face her with difficulty.

"Does Chunji tell you where your boxers are? Does he clean up your apartment and wait for you to come home? Doe--" she silenced me with a kiss on my lips.

"Don't compare yourself to him, okay? And promise me you won't look for a girlfriend, because if you do, I won't talk to you again. I'll trash your dorm and I'll eat Eunhyuk alive. Plus, I'd also bad-mouth you in the newspaper, which by the way, is international. So don't even dare look for one, okay? I've spent almost 2 years cheating on Chunji because of you. Hmm?" she rested her forehead against mine.

"Promise," I mumbled back. She smiled, satisfied with my answer. She released me from her grip and walked away.

"Can we eat? I'm hungry," she helped me with the food and served the table.

We sat down on the couch and ate dinner in front of the television. "I want to live here. Can I? Can I?" I pleaded her with puppy dog eyes and made the best aegyo I could manage.

"As much as I want to, you know I can't," she sighed. "Please? I'd buy this apartment for the both of us if you want," I offered. "Quit bragging to me about your money. Plus, you know Chunji would kill us both if he knows about it," she flipped channels with the remote.

"Break up with him already," I stomped my foot like a little kid. She stared into my eyes intently. "I gave you the option 2 years ago. You said no," she replied softly.

"Fine. I'd look for a girlfriend," I pouted and crossed my arms on my chest.

"The dorm would be burned down to ashes tomorrow. With. The. Members. Inside. Is the girlfriend thing such a good idea now that you have to attend 9 spontaneous funerals?" she threatened.

I pinched her arm. "Bad girl." She just smirked and continued eating. As we were having dinner, the news flashed on the television screen about a mass murder of immigrants in a lone country.

Dead people piled up on the streets and children would walk by and act as if it was the most normal thing on Earth to see. "The world is so ugly," but you're so beautiful, I wanted to add but decided not to. I watched her as she, in turn,watched the news. She had grown taller, more beautiful, and smarter, but her eyes still have the same twinkle in them, although right now, they were stern and emotionless.

She wanted this job even though it was scary. It involved a lot of opinion and traveling, not to mention the ever-present threat as a journalist. I, being a performer, was always enslaved by what the viewers want to see. She, on the otherhand, was entailed to proclaim what she was supposed to.

Opposites attract, don't they?

"Min Young should be watching these kinds of stuff, not cheesy dramas that omma watches," she said. "You're so abnormal. Soap operas are fine with children, yet you want her to watch hard news with all the killings and the dead people and the blood and the..." I commented.

"It's reality, Donghae. Instead of knowing about husbands cheating on wives, girls crying when boyfriends break up with them, it's better to watch this. She should be aware of what's happening," she fought back.

"If we get married, we'll always fight," I sighed. "Don't get started on this again," she whined. "What?" I asked, a hint of tease in my voice. "Nothing," her eyes focused back on the TV.

-Gah! I'm getting frustrated for not seeing your comments :( tell us what you think and what you want to see next ☺