The Surprise

Dear Donghae

I'm Sorry - Beast

Donghae's POV

"Thirsty?" someone asked. I turned around and saw Yoona handing me a bottle of water. I smiled and took it. "Thanks." The moisture on the bottle was tempting and I twisted the cap to open it.

"You shouldn't tire yourself like that," she said. Sweat dripped from my forehead to my shirt and I quickly wiped it with a towel. "I can still do it," I replied. I just finished rehearsals for another SMTown concert.

I gripped the bottle tightly with one hand and held on to the railing of the balcony. I closed my eyes and breathed in the fresh, cold air. "How was Paris?" I asked. "Oh it's still the same. But it's starting to get crowded with tourists like us. It's hard to go sight-seeing. Tiffany also complains about the weather," she answered. I just nodded, still with my eyes closed.

"I heard you want to start a restaurant," she said.

"Yeah. I want to keep investing. I can't keep dancing forever," I took another gulp of the liquid. "That's smart of you. Your mother would be so proud," she commented, to which I just smiled.

"Do you want to eat lunch?" she offered.

"Where's Hyukjae?" I searched.

"Oh. I was wondering if we could eat together. Only the two of us..." she looked away shyly. "If you don't mind," she added. "Sure," I nodded.

Narrator's POV

She obviously liked him, and he knew it too. As the days passed they became good friends, which became better, and became close. Donghae liked her too, but not in the romantic way. He just liked how she's funny and interesting, and that she's a good listener too. His visits to Min Yu's apartment became replaced by his hangouts with Yoona.

Min Yu, in turn, didn't notice anything. Chunji's travels to different countries became often, and they started to have miscommunications. They had petty fights which turn to bigger arguments.

And slowly, she began to feel tired. But she still looked forward to Donghae being there in her apartment when she comes home, but there was no sign of him anywhere. He no longer asked if she wanted to eat with him. He was already eating with Yoona. Min Yu asked her mother to teach her how to cook meals, and she was learning. Everything happened in a span of only two weeks.

His fist met the table with a loud thud.

"DO YOU THINK I LIKE TRAVELING?! I want to stay here too," Chunji gritted through his teeth. Min Yu sipped her coffee silently and never removed her eyes on her computer.

"I never complained about your traveling. We just don't talk that much anymore, and when we do, we always fight. Like today," he began to grow frustrated at her calm composure.

She typed a few more letters and proceeded to shut down her laptop. "It's like I'm on a leash whenever you're here, even when you're away. I can't do anything by myself. Okay, I know you're helpful and sweet and all, but it's becoming too much. You always want to have a say in everything I do," she complained.

"I HAVE a say in everything you do," he shouted.

"WELL, I'M NOT ASKING FOR IT!" she snapped back.

"Don't point the finger at me. You're also a control freak. You want everything to go as what you expect them to be. You get pissed off if anything doesn't go your way, or if the favors are not of your liking. It's not right," he almost pulled at his own hair in anger.

"What about you, huh? You think everything I have is yours too. You don't give me privacy. You just barge in by yourself in my apartment without asking. You always have to know where I am, what I'm doing, I can't breathe!" she fought, tears b in her eyes.

"What about Donghae? HUH? Doesn't he do the same thing? The only difference is, I have the right to do all those things because I'm your boyfriend. What about him? You treat him like nothing has ever happened the past 7 years. You cling to him like he never left you. To tell you the truth, you're more of a girlfriend to him than to me," he snorted, but he was also on the verge of crying.

Her eyes widened and she stumbled backwards. The topic about seven years ago was a forbidden subject between the two of them. It was the point when everything was really complicated and on the verge of breaking apart. She knew Chunji almost gave up on her at that time.

"Look, I'm sorry for being such a pain to you at that time. You think I never thought of you when Donghae had left? If you've been so burdened by me, you could've just broken up with me and left me too and not waiting for many years tp pass by just to rub it in my face," she cried.

He sighed and stood up. "I've put up with everything for those years. Now that I'm having the problem, YOU CAN'T DEAL WITH IT? That's so unfair on my part. When I have a problem with you, I tell it straight to your face. But can't you do the same thing? You just keep it all bottled up inside and I don't know how much you hate me right now," he paced around the apartment.

"I don't know what you're thinking anymore. I don't know what's going through your mind. It's like you grew into a different person. You're not the Min Yu I used to know. The Min Yu who would ask if I've already eaten, if I was already home, who would make me lunch, who would greet me good morning."

"It was those little things that kept me holding on to what we had. Even though you always spent too much on the expensive calls to Donghae that were always unanswered, just a little ounce of care was enough for me to be with you," he sniffled.

Min Yu looked away and let more tears fall. She had missed Chunji too. Maybe it was right for him to get angry, because behind his back, she had cheated on him.

"I don't want to fight anymore. I'm so tired of us throwing defenses and building up walls in between. I don't want this anymore," she wiped her tears away. She heard Chunji cry. Her words pierced him so much.

"So you want to forget about the eight years we've been together? I'm getting exhausted of this too. I've always been busy balancing you and my career. I've never had a life," he added.

For a minute, they just sobbed on their own. He realized how much they've grown apart. She didn't know what would happen to her without Chunji, but they both knew where this was heading.

"Maybe we should call everything off." Chunji turned to the door, afraid to stare straight into her eyes.

She stood up and gathered her books and her laptop. She shoved them carelessly inside her bag and slung it over her shoulder. "I couldn't agree more," she walked past Chunji without looking at him.

"Lock the door after you leave," she reminded and left the house. She waited for a cab to pass by. She'd have to be used to this from now on. Since that day, no one would drop her off the university.

Min Yu's POV

I was glad I didn't feel a thing.

No pain.

No sadness.

No regrets.

At that moment when I entered the campus grounds, I wanted to skip, dance, and sing in joy because finally, I was free. Free after eight long years. Free to do whatever I want. Free to stare at some other guy. Free to date someone other than Chunji. And if people knew me well, they would be right.

That someone would be Donghae. I wanted to grin widely and smile brightly and to express the joy I should be feeling. But it didn't come.

Those eight years were no joke. And I still love Chunji. My being single hasn't sunk into my mind yet. But later it will take its toll on me. Later, when I'm alone and doing nothing. Later, when I would be reminiscing those days with him.

But in those years, I had cheated on Chunji. He treated me so well, and I only cheated on him. I loved him, it was true. But I loved Donghae more. I know it so.

Chunji knew it too.

Sender: Min Yu

Donghae, can I come over? Are you home?

I texted him as soon as I got home after classes. I drummed my fingers on the center table of my living room while waiting for his reply. It's been what...a week since I last saw him. I wanted to see him, and craved to tell him what happened.

If I told him the news, would he ask me to be his girlfriend? The thought made me smile. And with great timing, he replied.

Sender: Donghae

Sure ^^ I also want you to meet someone.

I only focused on the first word. I brought my bag with me and walked over to the dorm. My hands swung merrily on my sides, excited to know what his reaction would be. I approached the building slowly, and saw him waiting for me on the front door. I waved excitedly when I saw him, and he smiled back. I ran across the street and finally met with him.

"I have news. I don't know if it would be good or bad, but it's news," I looked up at him. "I have something to tell you too!" he almost jumped up and down. "Okay. You go first," I said.

"Okay, come inside," he grabbed my wrist and pulled me through the door to enter. The living room smelled great, like someone was cooking delicious food. "Donghae? Is that you?" someone said from the kitchen. "Come here," he replied.

I saw a pretty girl wearing an apron. I smiled at her, and she seemed to be the one cooking the meal. "Annyeonghaseyo," I greeted and bowed. She looked older than me by about 4 years or so. "Annyeonghaseyo," she did the same. Donghae's smile reached up to his ears. "Yoona, meet Min Yu," he said as she shook my hand.

"Min Yu, Yoona...."

 

 

 

 

 

"My girlfriend," he announced proudly.