What Goes Around Comes Around

Dear Donghae

With All My Heart - DBSK

Narrator's POV

L.Joe walked forward and stood beside Chunji on the wide open balcony. "You heard her. She wants you back," he continued, closing his eyes and inhaling the delicious cold night air.

The rain has just stopped and everything was left cool and fresh. "Do you think I should visit her? Right now? She's drunk and I don't know how she's doing," the older thought out loud, calculating and weighing his options carefully. "Good idea," L.Joe commented.

Chunji rushed down to grab his car keys and ran outside towards his car. He drove madly, preparing himself for what he was about to see. He arrived a few minutes later. He immediately barged in her apartment, using the spare keys Min Yu had given him. Even if they had broken up, he wouldn't let go of that key.

"Min Yu?" he called out in the deserted living room. Everything was where he had left it this afternoon, after Min Yu had left for her classes. Chunji heard muffled noises inside her room and went inside to check.

She had her shoes on while lying on her bed. She clutched a botle of soju tightly in one hand and her phone in the other. He walked closer but only stopped in his tracks when another empty bottle of alcohol rolled on the floor.

"Ya!" He scolded when he finally sat beside her. Her hair was wet and her clothes were soaked too. Did she let herself get wet under the rain? "Chunji, is that you?" she scrunched her eyes and sat up.

Her eyes were bloodshot red and her cheeks were flushed. She was obviously drunk. "No, I'm just a talking picture of Chunji," he replied quite jokingly.

She rested against the headboard and sighed. She lifted up the bottle to to take another swig of alcohol, but to her disappointment, it was already empty.

She let the bottle fall to the floor, not caring if it would break or not. Chunji grabbed it from her grip and carried it to the kitchen. He came back inside with an aspirin and a glass of water in his hands.

"Drink this so you won't have a bad hangover tomorrow morning," he ordered. With her eyes still closed, Min Yu did what she was told to do without complaining. Chunji headed to her closet and looked for comfortable clothes.

He decided on an oversized shirt and a pair of boxers and went over to dress her. He removed and stripped her off of her rain-soaked jacket, shirt, and jeans. He also removed her shoes and fixed her hair.

He never imagined that she would drink, let alone get drunk. Even though Chunji wasn't the type of guy to consume alcohol, he never showed any preference for it. "I'm sorry," Min Yu whispered as she pulled him to lay down beside her.

He didn't respond. "Do you remember the first time we met?" he smiled and closed his eyes. She reeked of alcohol, but he didn't mind.

"You talked like we're in a club or something," she replied. "You had said the weirdest things. I told you my name and I asked for yours. But you told me you weren't interested. You glared at me from afar with your eyes like laser beams. You told me you hated boys like me," he snuggled close to her while they both reminisced some memories.

"Am I just drunk dead or did you really receive my voicemail?" she asked. "A little bit of both," Chunji replied.

The next day...

Min Yu's POV

I glanced at my watch every five seconds, as if time would go by faster. Here I was, stuck in the university as rain poured heavily. I was supposed to walk home when it started to rain. Do cabs exist in the campus grounds?

Where are taxi cabs when you needed them most?! I patiently waited and watched as most of my schoolmates rush under the rain to get home. At least, I wasn't that desperate.

To be honest, I was a little desperate to get home.

I checked my bag and shoved my books inside carefully. I calculated the distance from my location to the nearest shade.

When I was ready enough, I ran across the street, splashing water as I did. I made it to the other side quite soaked, but I could at least start walking to my apartment even if it was kilometeres away.

Cars passed by, and I maintained a few feet away to avoid getting wet. When I was starting to grow tired, I tried my luck once again on finding an available cab. But to no avail.

Every taxi that passed by was full and occupied. I was hopeless and cold. I crossed another intersection, letting myself get completely soaked by the rain. The sky was growing dark.

A car honked past me, but I ignored it and kept walking. I continued my pace, but the car followed trail behind me. The windows pulled down and revealed the person inside.

"Min Yu-ah!" someone shouted. I turned and saw Yoona on the passenger's seat. "Hey," I smiled. She waved for me to come in the vehicle. I went inside and saw Donghae on the driver's seat.

"Why'd you let yourself get wet again?" he scolded. I ignored him and instead, stared outside the window. "You must be freezing. Here, change into Donghae's spare shirt," Yoona handed me the clothing.

"Thanks," I murmured and removed my soaked shirt, not minding that there were two other people inside. "You still wear that?" Donghae exclaimed as he stared at my chest bandage.

"Oh. Are you injured or what?" Yoona also got curious. "She got into an accident when she was 15," Donghae explained to her. "Does it still hurt?" he tried again, looking at me through the rearview mirror.

"I'm fine," I replied and put on his shirt as quickly as possible. "Are you hungry? Come join us for dinner," Yoona invited. "No thanks. But I have to get home as quickly as possible. I still have work to do," I replied.

"It wasn't an invitation. It was an order," Donghae said, so I didn't argue any more. We arrived at the mall near the Super Junior dorm and went inside. I pity myself and looked like an intruder to the two.

More than once, Donghae tried holding my hand when Yoona was looking away, but I flinched away from his touch. He would stare at me weirdly, but I paid no attention to him.

"Why don't we walk around first before eating?" Yoona suggested. I just smiled and nodded and we proceeded to the department store section of the building.

"Hey, why don't you try this on?" Yoona handed Donghae a shirt. He looked at me and pulled my arm. He wanted me to accompany him inside the dressing room. I pulled my hand away and shook my head. I wasn't 15 anymore.

I just sat in front of the door and waited for him to come out. Yoona, in turn, roamed around the place and looked for more shirts. "You're so sweet, shopping for your boyfriend," an assistant commented.

Yoona smiled politely and nodded. Unlike her, even though I get asked if Donghae was my boyfriend, I always denied it. I watched her graceful steps and wondered how different we were.

"Does it look good?" Donghae stepped out. I turned to Yoona and called out to her so she could give her opinion. "It looks great," she said with a smile. Unlike her, I never complimented him, his appearance, or his actions. I was a bad person that way. And I never asked why Donghae would go for someone like her. She was obviously perfect.

Donghae went out and motioned for me to follow. I stood up and walked behind him as he went to the counter to pay. "No. I got it," Yoona volunteered and paid for his shirt.

"Thanks," he mumbled. Unlike her, I could never afford the luxury to buy him gifts and stuff he wants. Hell, I couldn't even pay for my first semester in law school.

"Where do you want to eat?" Donghae asked, looking at me. Yoona was obviously distracted to know that the question wasn't meant for her. "Anywhere. Where do you guys want?" she asked.

"Do you want to eat there?" he pointed to Starbucks, making tons of memories flood my mind. "Oh. Sure. Do you want there too?" Yoona turned to ask me. "You guys decide," I replied and looked away, feeling uncomfortable.

"Starbucks it is," Donghae sighed, quite irritated by my actions. We went inside and ordered at the counter. I only asked for one large glass of coffee, and Donghae looked bemused.

"You used to order 5 glasses of those and now you only want one?" he asked. I looked away and handed him my payment. "No, I'll pay for it," he insisted and pushed my hand away.

"No, Donghae. I--" "Min Yu." He gave me a stern look and I didn't dare argue more. Yoona also ordered her food and we sat down on a three-seater table. I felt a little awkward with them, knowing I was only tagging along.

I busied myself with my phone while they talked across from me. "Are you okay with me here? I could transfer to another table," I stood up and got ready to leave but Donghae held my arm.

"Stay."

I sat back down and tried to make myself distracted. So this is how Donghae feels when I'm with Chunji. Karma comes back around with double the punishment. But in my case, it's 10 times the pain. I comforted myself with the fact that this would pass. This feeling of discontentment and jealous would fade away with time. Time heals everything, right?

I excused myself and went to the bathroom. The clawing pain inside me burned at the seams of my organs, threatening to tear me apart. I stared at myself in the mirror.

My mother was wrong. She gave birth to a cheater. A liar. A traitor. A greedy, selfish person. I was never contented with Chunji's love. No. I wanted more. I made Donghae as a reserve, a substitute if Chunji was away. What people said was right. I was evil.

I walked outside and locked eyes with Donghae. I waled nearer towards the table and slung my bag over my shoulder. "I really have to go. I have tons of work to do," I excused myself.

"Oh too bad. Take care," Yoona smiled and waved. "I'll walk you outside," Donghae stood up and grabbed my coffee for me. I haven't had the chance to protest. Not in front of Yoona.

We walked silently to the exit. "So...how are you and Chunji?" he asked, trying to start a conversation. "We're fine. We got back together last night," I replied. He nodded and smiled curtly. I put my hands inside my pocket and kept up with his pace. "If you want food or anything, you can still call me and I'd buy you or cook for you myself," he offered.

I just nodded, afraid to say something that would offend him. Why was he doing this to me, making me expect for a chance for us to be together?! Crap, it was getting harder and harder to let go by the second.

We stopped by the street and waited for a cab to pass by. He succesfully hailed one. "So what do you think of Yoona?" he asked as the vehicle was getting nearer and nearer.

I shrugged and sipped on my coffee silently. He sighed. The cab arrived and he opened the door for me to enter. Forever a gentleman. I was about to step inside, but he pulled my wrist and ponted to his cheek.

He wanted me to kiss him. This time, it was my turn to sigh. I pulled my arm away and entered the taxi. He shut the door carefully and we drove away.