Filling Blank Pages

Dear Donghae

I Hope You Become My Lover - FT Island

~So this is actually the part where I start to give justice to the title...

Narrator's POV

Min Yu groaned as the sunlight hit her closed eyes directly, with her loudly ringing phone to match. What a great way to start a morning, eh? "Ybsmhmfm?" she grumbled incoherently after putting the phone on loudspeaker. "What did you just greet me? Anyway, good morning~! Are you already awake?" Donghae's loud voice added more to her irritation. "No. I was just in a comatose. Thank you for saving me," she replied sarcastically.

"ANYWAY," he said loudly, making her giggle despite her craving for more sleep, "are you up? It's almost six in the morning." She sat up and ruffled her hair, as if that would be of any help to untangle her thick brown locks. "I am now," she responded in her husky morning voice, although her eyes were still tightly shut. "Great. Now go eat breakfast. Go go go!" he cheered.

She stood up to yawn and stretch, flexing her strained muscles. "I don't want to eat. I'll just drink coffee. I'm too lazy to cook," she complained, now fully awake. "Go to your dining table first!" he shouted bossily. She followed as he ordered and saw food already prepared for her to eat. "Have you seen it? Have you seen it? Tada~" he said excitedly. "How'd you get inside?" she asked instead.

"Wae? Not even a thank you first? Aish. I shouldn't have dropped by your house first thing after I woke up," he mumbled. "Sorry. But thank you, really. Saves me all the trouble," she smiled widely and helped herself to the food laid out in front of her. "Oh! And while you're at it..." he paused for a while as she munched on the food happily, "there's a thing on your right..."

She stood up immediately and backed away from the table. "Did you put explosives here or something? I swear I'll punch right where it hurts if--" "CHILL! Let me finish will you? There's nothing wrong with the food. But on your right, there's a package Siwon wanted to give to you, but he forgot and now he's gone again," Donghae explained. Min Yu laughed at her own unnecessary panicking and went ahead to open the parcel.

She wondered what was inside, thinking it must be that important for Siwon to pass on to Donghae. "What is it?" she got startled at his voice after realizing they both still hadn't hung up on each other. "If you're so excited, why don't you open it for me, then?" she scolded and ripped the wrapping paper. "Look who's mad now," he teased. She smiled, not because of him, but because of the little present Siwon gave her.

She gasped slightly, a smile forming slowly across her face. "What is it? WHAT IS IT?" he pressed on the other line. "It's a notebook~" Min Yu nodded excitedly and flipped through the first few pages with her thumb. There was a pause as Donghae waited for the punchline. "So...that's it?" he asked. "What do you mean 'that's it'? You're such a killjoy. Tell him I said thanks," she replied.

 

"Why thank him when he just gave you lousy blank pages bound together? I can buy you a whole library, not just some paper," he defended. "B-but it's a notebook," she pouted sadly. "He gave you a notebook and you want to thank him. I surprised you with breakfast and you get mad. What's wrong with you?" his tone sounded serious with a hint of anger. "Are you mad at me?" she demanded.

"Yes," he replied in a straight forward manner, not that she was taken aback. "Then I'm sorry," Min Yu apologized, turning her full attention to the food instead of the special gift. "You don't mean it. You're not sorry. I'm still mad," he stated stubbornly. "Oppa~" she whined, tugging at his soft heartstrings with her whining. His heart wavered, but he remained unconvinced.

"Wae? I thought Siwon was your oppa," he argued. She sighed and racked her brains for clues on how to make him forgive her. Arguing with your boyfriend on your first day as a couple? Job well done, she thought, although the term got her chewing on the insides of her cheeks as she stirred. It was a word with Chunji preceding it, and yes, her thoughts brought her back to him. No, not again...

"Yeobo~" she stomped her feet in complete frustration. She never used endearments, even to HIM, as she preferred not to mention Chunji's name. Donghae's heartbeat went from normal to dead in a split second, with blood all the while flooding mainly on his cheeks. His mouth hung wide open, not knowing what to say. "Ya, Donghae, are you still there?" she called out. Instead of responding like a normal person, he hung up the call.

She double-checked her phone to make sure it was perfectly working, that her assumption was right. Donghae DID hung up on her without saying anything. It was childish and funny, yet irritating at the same time. She puffed up her cheeks and finished all the food in one go, before storming to the bathroom to take a bath.

Meanwhile, Donghae didn't realize he was staring into nothingness until after an unknown hand handed him water.

"Uhh..." he turned to see who the hand's owner was, only to see Yesung, "thanks, hyung." He stood up from his spot on the corner of the room and looked for Eunhyuk, wanting someone to play with. "Where's Hyukjae?" he started his search hopelessly. Yesung just shrugged and minded his own business. Donghae sighed and decided to look for him outside, when Heechul appeared in front of him instead.

"Ya, did I hear it right? You and Min Yu are officially together?!" he asked in a high-pitched voice, obviously sending shivers down his spine. He nodded in response and waited for a whack on the head that Heechul was accustomed to giving. After Donghae got home from Min Yu's, he loudly announced in a booming voice that they were now in the boyfriend and girlfriend zone. Eunhyuk clapped his hands in joy, but only because of Min Yu's promise to him about a free trip to Lotte World, like he hasn't been there all his life. Kyuhyun remained unfazed in front of his laptop, giving occasional grunts of agreement and declinations.

Heechul had heard about it from Sungmin, but he just shooed him away as if he never really wanted to hear the news. "Teukie hyung knew?" the older pressed, and Donghae gave him another curt nod instead of saying it out loud. Heenim didn't respond and just walked past him. He blinked a few times, his unresponsive mind still couldn't process what his hyung had meant. He turned around and grabbed him by the arm.

"Hyung, are you still mad at us?" he asked innocently.

"Yes, I am. And don't mind asking why."

Donghae shrugged. "Then listen to me instead," he ordered.

Heechul turned around with his shoulders slightly dropping. When Donghae was being this persistent, there was no stopping him. "Why can't you give a little respect to me as your dongsaeng? Just a little support would be nice. Great, even. I don't ask much from you, so why can't you give me one thing I want? Don't you think that's overly unfair on my part? You're the older one here, you should be the one to act more mature."

His words struck him like an arrow to his heart. And he was right in every way. But in spite of Donghae's obvious sincerity, which almost made him cry, he just shrugged and left. Heechul was best at masking his amusement with indifference. The younger tried his best, and gave up altogether. He resumed to his search on looking for his monkey best friend, wanting to take his mind off of things.

Walking through the door and exiting the practice room completely, he ran against Leeteuk. He gulped down as the leader looked down at him with a glare, his eyes throwing daggers, like Leeteuk was brutally murdering Donghae mentally. "H-hyung..." he slowly backed away, afraid of what Leeteuk had to tell him. "Tell me everything, from start to finish, with descriptive and believable explanations. Start!" he cued in an MC voice.

So Donghae did as he was told, being the obedient guy he was, starting from the day he stepped on Korean soil after five years of being away, until the incident last night, not missing one detail untold. Leeteuk listened, not just heard, every word he has said, although his mind was flooded with questions he wanted answer to and things he wanted to be clarified.

"So...are you okay with it?" he asked with a warm, questioning smile.

"Aish, what the hell? Even if I say no, you two wouldn't break up. So yes, it's fine with me. Now scurry away before I faint or chase you with an axe," Leeteuk replied.

While all of these were happening, Min Yu, on the other hand, arrived at work feeling renewed. Her day was going well so far, what with her colleagues finally learning how to be responsible and punctual, resulting to her decreased workload. The domino effect was evident everywhere, with everything correlated with everything. She had checked her phone multiple times, wishing Donghae wasn't seriously mad at her.

The alert for a new message sounded in a moderate volume. She unlocked her screen, feeling hopeful, but the same emotion washed away quickly. But she was surprised, nonetheless, to see a text from Heechul.

From: Kim Heechul

Meet me at Starbucks at five p.m. sharp.

Min Yu's POV

Time flew by slowly, as it always does whenever people look forward to something more important. A normal minute lasts for only 60 seconds. If I was surfing the internet and waiting for a page to load, a normal minute becomes an hour. Same goes with waiting in line to order at a fast food chain, or anything that usually thins out human patience. Being the scumbag that it was, time passes quickly during the moment when you want it to last longer.

But as usual, time runs out. Right now, the time for school has officially ended for me, a little quite late even. I stood up to leave, murmuring eager farewells to familiar faces. All I had in mind was what Heechul would want, why he wanted to talk to me, and if I was in trouble. Babo, Min Yu. Of course you are. He still hasn't forgiven me, and it was no wonder.

I rushed to the meeting location at once, time ticking quickly when I wanted it most to slow down. Dashing out of the campus gates, hailing a cab and directing it to my destination, I wondered why I was even bothering to meet up with him. Like in movies, an evil Min Yu and angel me popped out from nowhere. I wasn't bad at making decisions, but I wasn't any good either.

The time for decision-making was over when the cab pulled over in front of the old mall. I paid him with the exact amount and exited the vehicle. The building looked like it was about to crumble down and fall, but it was sturdy, getting even stronger as the years passed by. I entered and went straight to Starbucks, the familiar smell of caffeine made my mouth water in anticipation for coffee.

My eyes grazed over every corner of the place, until it rested upon the familiar figure. I sat across from him and waited for Heechul to acknowledge my presence. "Appa..." I patted his arm gently. "Oh great, you're here. I was busy counting how many people have passed by and recognized me," he fixed the collar of his shirt and offered me a cup of hot espresso beside him.

"Thanks," I muttered, not letting the chance go to waste. Caffeine was still caffeine, in any way you look at it. I sipped the hot drink slowly, careful not to burn my tongue in the process, and opened my mouth to say something, but he held his hand to stop me from doing so. "Look, I know what you're going to say. And if you're wondering, then yes, I'm forgiving you."

I nodded and drank more of the espresso. "Thank you. You have no idea how much that means to me. Nothing would change, anyway, and there was no reason for you to be mad in the first place," I replied truthfully, "and besides, I didn't say sorry." I had the satisfied, evil smirk plastered on my face, making Heechul chuckle in utter amusement. He lifted his fist up in front of my face, and I pumped it with my own, our knuckles meeting halfway. Problem solved.

After having senseless, prideful talks with Heechul, I decided to go home and get the well-deserved, hard-earned rest I needed so badly. My tired feet skidded across the carpeted floor, making shuffling noises fill the deafening silence. I stripped myself off of my sneakers and work clothes, the fabric far too hot for my liking. Instead, I changed into an oversized shirt and sweatpants, and pulled my hair up into a messy bun.

Plopping down on the couch as it creaked, my eyes drifted back to the notebook on the table, exactly where I had left it this morning. I stood up to grab it, turning the blank pages and feeling the paper's texture with my fingertips. My fingers craved to start writing words, sentences, and paragraphs endlessly on the rough sheets, and the writer instincts kicked in soon after. The only problem was that I didn't know what to write, or as in simpler words, I was experiencing writer's block.

I fumbled for a pen and opened the notebook, resting the tip on the flat surface. I had nothing in mind to write about, and I call myself a journalist at that. For years since my freshman year in college, I did nothing but write, from essays and book reviews to news, features and interviews. I've typed and printed out uncountable pieces of literary work that were, most of the time, rejected by professors, criticized for wrong grammar, crossed out for misplaced punctuations, so on and so forth.

I think a lot but I don't say much, I scribbled. The words flew out quickly, as if my hand had a mind of its own. The immaculate white paper stained with the blank ink from the writing instrument. I nibbled on the pen, wondering what to write next. There was an urgent need to fill the blank spaces with thoughts, coming to life as words uttered. Unspoken words don't remain unheard, I added.

I flipped to the next page, where lines appeared, signaling the should-be start of more writing. I had nothing to write about. Short stories, poems, cinquains, haikus, reports, reflection papers, essays, features, interviews, news, plays, dialogues, monologues -- I've tried it all. And as I racked my brain for any clues, a word came up like a bulb lighting up: letters.

But my inconsiderate mind came up with another question: To whom?

A knock rapping against the door jostled me from my deep thoughts. I twisted the knob harshly with my hand, yanking it open, and there he was, the perfect person to write to. But Donghae's expression was stern, almost cold. I stood on tiptoes and kissed him gently. "See? How can I possibly stay mad at you if you act like that every time we meet?" he smiled and entered, "but then again, I wasn't mad in the first place."

~Sorry for the late update. School has officially started for me and Jominhyung, so sorry for the rushed chapters! Leave comments :)