Chapter 17

Dear Donghae

 

 

 

 

 

Narrator's POV

"Home sweet home~" Eunhyuk exclaimed with a sigh as he plopped down on the couch. Ricky rushed to the kitchen and opened the fridge swiftly, poring over the contents to see if anything could satisfy his churning stomach.

"You seriously could have gotten me expelled out of law school for everything you've done," Min Yu sighed as she removed her shoes and placed it on the rack.

Chunji placed her things on the table. "Don't you have anything edible?" Ricky asked. L.Joe pushed him aside and grabbed the carton of milk from the refrigerator before Ricky could see it. He downed the contents in one gulp.

"You're so hopeless," Heechul shook his head in disbelief. "What's for dinner?" Eunhyuk asked, his face still buried on the cushion.

"I have ramen," Min Yu replied, sitting beside him on the sofa. "NO!" Ricky, L.Joe, and Chunji declined altogether. "OOH~ there are ingredients here," Heechul checked each shelf and cupboard and took out the things he would need.

"So...when will you all go home and give me some rest and silence?" she crossed her arms over her chest and switched the television on.

Eunhyuk glanced at his watch, and Min Yu sighed in relief as he debated on the time. "So if it's already 5 in the afternoon...and it's the 8th of July which is a Monday..." he solved long mathematical equations on air, as if there were floating invisible numbers waiting to be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided.

"We'll be here for a whole week," he stated.

"A WHAT?!" she shouted with her eyes as big as the full moon. "Relax. We won't stare at you when you sleep...or will we?" Eunhyuk thought out loud. "NO! I won't allow it," she held her finger up.

"Promise I won't bicker with Changjo anymore," L.Joe swore with his right hand up. "I'M RICKY!" Ricky smacked the older one on his head. "A week?" she muttered weakly to herself.

The sofa squeaked as a new weight added to it. "It won't be so bad," Chunji sat beside her. "Where will you sleep?" she turned to Eunhyuk, who seemed to be already falling into slumber as she talked.

"Anywhere," he mumbled with his eyes closed. "How about you?" she turned to Chunji, who was busily playing with her hair. "I'll sleep with you," and gave her a sly wink.

"AISH. So disgusting," Ricky complained. "Don't do it here!" L.Joe exclaimed and covered his eyes. "YA! I'll be the one to sleep with her," Heechul walked out of the kitchen with an apron tied around his waist and neck, and a knife in his hand. "Ah, hyung! Don't hold the knife like that!" Chunji moved away from him.

Heechul walked closer to the Teen Top member while flaunting the sharp object in his hand. "If you touch her, I'd cut your--" "I'll sleep on the couch!" Chunji cut him off while covering his crotch with a pillow. Heechul went back to the kitchen and continued chopping ingredients as he sang.

Min Yu's POV

"Aigoo. That was good stuff, hyung. Good stuff," Ricky patted his bloated stomach as he sat on the sofa in front of the television. "If ever you want to get thinner, tell Eunhyuk to cook for you. Anything he cooks acts like a laxative, and you have to stay in the toilet for hours," Heechul replied, piling up the dirty dishes and glasses.

"I'll do it," I volunteered, taking the plates from him.

"So...what do you do for fun after dinner?" Eunhyuk asked, ignoring Heechul's comment about his culinary skills. "What fun are you talking about?" I asked, heading towards the sink to dump all the used dishes.

"After she goes home from school, she goes back to work," Chunji commented. "Don't you have a series of Pororo in here?" Ricky prodded over the pile of DVDs on the corner.

"All I have are horror movies," I replied. He filled his cheeks with air and blew it out. "You're all bored, aren't you?" I asked, a smile forming on my lips. "Yeah," they answered altogether.

"Well, go back to your dorms and leave me here," I said, turning the faucet on and began doing the chore. I felt a presence beside me. I looked up and saw Chunji.

"Need some help with that?" he offered. "It's fine," I assured him. After a few more seconds, he remained unmoving. "What?" I asked. He smiled to himself and shook his head.

He crept up behind and put his arms around me. "I've seen the interview you were talking about yesterday," he mumbled against my hair. "And I kept reading until the end. I think you might have missed one," he said.

The soapy water made my grip on the glass slippery. "What question?" I asked, confusedly. He held both my hands and let the running water rinse the bubbles off of my hands.

"Question number 47: At what age do you want to get married? I know I answered 30 years old..." he turned the faucet off with one hand and fumbled in his pocket with the other.

"If you had asked me before, I would have said that I wouldn't want to settle down and get married. Back then, before I debuted in Teen Top, I had a girlfriend. And I cheated on her, because I never thought our relationship was serious..."

"And then?" I cued for him to continue.

"...And then you came along, threatening to punch me in the face when I asked for your name," he recalled, making me laugh at the memory.

"You were so different from all the other girls I've met. When they were waiting for me to call them, you didn't want to give me your number. When they gave me their addresses, wanting for me to visit them at their house, you lock yourself in your room and threaten to call the police when I'm around. You were extremely hard to get, and it was so difficult to even talk to you."

"I was SO happy when you became my girlfriend," he paused.

Chunji lifted a red box in front of my face and opened it, showing a ring inside. "I know I've already asked you this, and it was so out of the blue and all over the place. I haven't prepared right now either, but..." he took the ring out and held it with his forefinger and thumb.

"I want to see you walk down the aisle together with Leeteuk hyung and Min Jae noona as the music plays. I want to hear you say 'I do' in front of everybody in the church. I want to spend every second, every minute, every hour of everyday with you. We've already spent eight years together, and I wouldn't mind spending many years more."

"So will you continue washing the dishes for me at our own house, after every meal we eat together with two of our children? I know 'Will you marry me?' sounds cliche and outdated," he proposed. I took the ring from his hands and put it on my left ring finger.

"Can we just adopt, or something? I'm really scared of giving birth," I asked. He laughed and twirled me around to face him. I stood on my tiptoes to give him a kiss on his lips.

"Ten ten tenen! Ten ten tenen!" Ricky sang the bridal march while L.Joe pretended to play the piano. "That was so cheesy, hyung," Ricky commented and grabbed my hand to stare at the ring.

"Is it real?" he examined it closely. "I'm so happy for the two of you, really," Heechul pulled my arm and dragged me to the living room. "B-but the dishes," I gestured to the kitchen.

"You're coming with us!" Eunhyuk presented me with a bag stuffed with clothes. "What?" I asked dumbly, not processing what was happening.

"Leeteuk called and told us that we might not be able to fit in your apartment. He finally came to his senses. What does he want, FOR ME TO SLEEP ON THE FLOOR?!" Heechul exclaimed. "Anyway, you'll just sleepover at the dorm, yay!" Eunhyuk explained.

He stood up and walked to the door. "I'll start the car," he said and left. "B-but..." "YA! YOU THREE!" Heechul pointed his finger to the three Teen Top members.

"You can go back to your dorm," he ordered. L.Joe and Ricky just nodded. Chunji kissed me on the cheek. "I'll finish the dishes," he volunteered. "Great," Heechul clapped his hands before forcing me out of the apartment and into Eunhyuk's car waiting outside.

Narrator's POV

Donghae followed the direction of Siwon's gaze and saw her on the balcony. He opened the glass door slowly, careful not to make noise as he walked towards her.

"Since when did you begin drinking?" he asked, eyeing the bottle of soju in her hand. She was staring high up in the clear sky and the visible, twinkling stars. "Since you had a girlfriend," she replied, taking another swig of alcohol.

"Where did you even get that? Siwon would go hysterical and present you with a bible if he ever sees you drink," he commented, ignoring her answer.

"I saw Heechul drinking, and I took it from him," she said. "Speaking of which, where IS Yoona anyway?" she asked and looked around. He took a deep breath. "We broke up when you were gone," he informed as-a-matter-of-factly.

Min Yu tipped the bottle higher to get more of the contents and wiped with the back of her hand. "I thought she was already pregnant," she smiled drunkenly.

Donghae couldn't take it anymore and encircled his arms around her and pulled her close. "Ever since you came back home, I never stopped thinking of the baby," he said, his hands falling till it reached her stomach.

"I told you, there WAS no baby," she responded, gulping down a mouthful of soju. "They treated me like an animal and made me feel worthless and dirty. They laughed if they see me hurt and pained. No one bothered to treat my wounds or to ask if I was okay. I never told them I was pregnant, because by then, they would torture me worse than before," she recalled.

"One day, I started bleeding. Blood dripped down my legs, soaking my clothes. I had thought it was over, that the baby I thought was inside me had died. But as luck would have it, I wasn't really pregnant," she laughed darkly with heavy lidded eyes and pried Donghae's hands off of her. He pulled away and stood beside her, watching her every move.

When she was about to take another sip of alcohol, he grabbed the bottle away from her grip. "What the...? Give it back," she argued. Donghae backed away with the soju in his hand.

Min Yu stumbled to snatch it from him, but she swayed to and from with every step. When she was a few steps away from him, her legs gave out and her head almost hit the concrete, but Donghae had caught her.

"Let me go," she ordered, pushing him away. When he didn't respond, she looked up and locked gaze with him. His face was only inches away from hers, and he leaned closer to kiss her, but she wriggled away from his arms.

"I'm getting married," she informed. "You're kidding," he tried laughing it off, but her expression was serious. "I mean...really?" he demanded weakly, searching her eyes for any hint of lie. But she looked away.

"So what about me?" his voice shook and his lips trembled. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. "What are you talking about?" she pretended not to know, her tears threatening to fall.

"I broke up with Yoona for you," Donghae said. "Did I tell you to? And even if I really WAS pregnant, do you think I'd break up with Chunji to be with you? Wake up, Donghae," she replied monotonously.

He spun her around and grab a hold of her wrists. "You're lying to me," he whispered, seeing how she can't meet his eyes. "Then what's this?" she showed him her ring from a while ago.

"I thought..." he cried. She removed his grip on her wrists. "I thought so too. But it's never going to work out. And stop crying!" she shouted. He bit his lip and forced the tears back. So it has come to this, he thought. He didn't want to force himself to her. If she didn't want him anymore, then so did he.

"Why are you here anyway?" he scolded. "Leeteuk wanted me to stay here," she replied. "BUT I DON'T WANT YOU HERE!" he yelled back. His words pierced her directly, but it was what she had wanted him to do.

"GO BACK TO YOUR HOUSE!" he ordered coldly. "I'LL STAY HERE IF I WANT TO!" she snapped back. "REALLY?" he faked a smile. "FINE! Then I'll be the one to leave!" he screamed in frustration.

"GO BACK TO THAILAND. YOU ALWAYS LEAVE ME ANYWAY!" she yelled through her gritted teeth. "FINE!" he stomped away and out of the balcony. If that's what she wanted him to do, then so be it.