Chapter 87

Dear Donghae

Baby Don't Cry - EXO

Narrator's POV

His ringtone acted as his alarm to wake up that morning, which was neither sunny nor cloudy -- but the right kind of morning. "Sssshhh!" Donghae ordered, reaching for his phone on the bedside table with his eyes closed. When he couldn't manage to get it, he gave up and placed his arm around Min Yu. But the phone was like his wife -- insistent and stubborn, so he had no choice but to sit up and answer it.

"I'm sleepy. Get it over with," he mumbled groggily, Min Yu's hair gently as she shifted uncomfortably to her side in bed. "Ya, Donghae," Leeteuk greeted loudly so as to pry him awake. "Don't forget your TV guesting later at noon with Kyuhyun and Sungmin, arasseo?" he reminded, echoing their manager hyung's words to him last night.

Donghae lay back down in bed before burying himself in the sheets. It wasn't even cold. "Do I have to?" he half whined. Leeteuk, from the other line, just rolled his eyes. "Donghae, you cancelled all your schedules for the last few weeks. You're just overreacting with Min Yu, you know," he added and commented truthfully. There was a big difference between protecting and overreacting.

The younger sighed, resting his head over Min Yu's and pressing his chin on her shoulder. "Fine, I'll go," he gave up. "Okay. Okay, different topic. Is the baby kicking already~?!?" Jungsoo exclaimed, the tone of his voice increasing in pitch. "Not yet. I wish, though." And I wish for the baby to give any possible signal that he or she is still alive, anyhow, Donghae wanted to add.

"Ah, that's fine. But tell me if it does, okay? Don't let me miss out on the fun~~" the leader reminded before hanging up. As soon as he almost threw his phone back on the bedside table, Donghae felt a hand on his cheek. "Did you just shush your phone a while ago?" she asked, stifling a laugh. "That..." he stuttered shamefully. "...was the neighbors."

She grinned, turning around to face him. He captured her lips immediately, pressing his forehead against hers. "I love you." And he kissed her once more. "Why are you here?" Min Yu asked. "Well, we slept side by side last night but then I woke up at around midnight and you weren't there anymore. Apparently, people go crazy once they get out of routine. And routine is me waking up even at any given time at night with you beside me," he explained.

"So if you don't want me to go crazy and look for you, don't go break that routine. And how did you even manage to get up and leave when it was dark at that time? What if you had tripped or slipped and had hurt yourself without me knowing anything?" Donghae scolded, his hand running up and down her arm. "Aish," he let her bury her face on his chest. "I will never forgive myself if anything bad happens to you two."

Min Yu sniffled, and Donghae immediately examined her face. "No crying! No crying!" he smiled, probing her cheeks with his thumb. "Wake up now, yeobo~ We have to take a bath and then eat breakfast. I have to make sure you're ready to be left behind," he spoke, mostly to himself. "I have a schedule later at 12. Will you manage to be fine and alive and whole until I get home?"

The girl sat up, planting her hands deeply onto the mattress to be able to do so herself. "I think so," she muttered before letting out a yawn. "Let's go down and eat. Ahjumma might be waiting for us downstairs," he held his hand out and waited for her to hold it. "I can stand by myself, you know," she shoved his arm away, to which he just rolled his eyes.

She cringed and winced and grumbled of her hurting back, which ached like an old person's. "We have to endure well," she muttered to herself silently, exiting the guest room. "What will you do while I'm gone?" Donghae asked curiously, his feet slowly descending the stairs. Min Yu pondered on her response for a while.

Can't say "Eat all the stuff I'm not allowed to" because he'll leave her under tight surveillance.

Can't say "Go outside" because he will never allow her to go out without him.

Can't say "Watch movies and sleep all day" because even though he'll see nothing wrong with it, she herself would die of boredom.

After all these ran through her mind in a nanosecond, Min Yu decided on one thing. "I'll invite someone over, I guess. Or if everyone's too busy, I'll just wait for you to come home or something," she finally stated as they reached the dining table. Donghae smiled as he pulled a chair backwards to let her sit before settling comfortably on the chair beside hers.

Their house helper served the prepared food on the table. And as Min Yu grew hungrier at the sight of food, Donghae turned to the old lady. "Can I have coffee, please?" he asked with a beaming smile, earning him a pat on the head from the ahjumma. Min Yu, meanwhile, threw him a threatening glare. "WHAT?" he exclaimed defensively, in the midst of poking at his food.

When the mug of steaming coffee arrived at the table, it was silent for a while. She watched with watering at the tempting color of cream mixed with coffee, not to mention how its aroma overwhelmed all her senses and it was as if it was only her and the coffee. Donghae noticed all of this, and he pretended to skim through the news on the morning paper.

Snapping from her thoughts, Min Yu's resolution still had the upper hand, much like her concern for the baby rather than her own indulgences. She turned to her plate of food and ate graciously. She tensed up when Donghae lifted the mug to his lips and slurped noisily. You have got to be kidding me, she cursed mentally and looked away.

The man, however, wanted to laugh at how silly she acted. And he waited patiently for the time she would beg to drink some of his coffee. He intentionally finished his breakfast and took little sips of the drink to kill her little by little. And sure enough, her strength and resistance were slowly wearing away. "I'll go upstairs to..." she tried excusing herself, but he forced her back on her seat. "Wait for me to finish," he whined.

His lips twitched, but he fought back the smile. From the corner of his eyes, he could still see her staring at his coffee, somehow making up for her sense of taste with her sense of sight. "Did you know that another earthquake hit Japan last week?" he tried saying. "Oh, really?" she muttered monotonously, her lack of interest obvious. She was aiming for the coffee.

Her idea light bulb flicked on and Min Yu attended to Donghae's hand resting on the table. "Oppa~~" She called out, tracing shapes on the back of his hand with her fingertips. Donghae tensed. This wasn't the begging and pleading he was expecting. "Min Yu is feeling thirsty. Oppa will make me drink some of his coffee, yes~?" she tried hard.

Donghae gulped hard. "Yeobo~" He put the newspaper down. "Hmm?" Min Yu turned to him with a wicked gleam in her eyes that said she would always get what she wanted. The corner of twisted up, similar to Mona Lisa's mysterious smile. It was like she knew of a secret trick that she would never tell him. "The d-doctor said you c-can-can't drink anything w-with caffeine, r-right?" he stammered.

She stifled a chuckle. It was working. "But oppa~" she whined in a practiced tone. "Even just a sip, please? Oppa wouldn't want Min Yu to get all thirsty, right~?" Her hand rested on his thigh. She leaned over to nuzzle her face on the crook of his neck, sending tingles up his spine. "Please, oppa~ you know I love you, right? Let me drink your coffee~"

"You know I can't say no to you, right? But it's for your own good," he stated bleakly, like he himself isn't so convinced. "Ugh," Min Yu groaned, sitting upright. "You leave me no other choice." She said with a straight face, which lasted only for a few seconds. The girl held her hands out with her lips puckered up. "Please let me have some coffee~" And she balled her hands into fists before placing them on either side of her cheeks. "Bbuing bbuing~"

And Donghae just sat there, wide-eyed and frozen. "Can I have your coffee now?" Min Yu asked, her tone clearly indicating victory. The man nodded blankly, and Min Yu quickly snatched the mug away before he could change his mind. She drank until the last drop and wiped with the back of her hand afterwards. "Ah~ so delicious."

Min Yu leaned forward to kiss him softly. "If you just gave the coffee to me right away, I wouldn't have gone through so much effort," she commented. "Did..." Donghae muttered blankly. "Did you just use aegyo on me?" he asked. "Yeah," Min Yu nodded absent-mindedly while trying to text any EXO member available to accompany her for the day. "If only you aren't pregnant, you are SO going to get it from me," he groaned while standing up.

--

"BOO!" A ghost mask greeted her as soon as she opened her eyes. "Oh, great, you're here," Min Yu rubbed her eyes before sitting up from her nap. "Oh come on! Weren't you the least bit scared or shocked or anything? You're a girl, for Christ's sake! Have some fear in you!" Baekhyun shouted in frustration. "Stop recording, hyung. She wasn't cooperating. It's no fun if she's not scared," he told Chanyeol, who held the camera from the doorframe.

She yawned before looking around. "Has Donghae left already?" Min Yu asked, wondering where he had gone off to. "Hyung left, like, 30 minutes ago," Chanyeol explained while helping her stand from the bed. "I thought Kai was coming?" she pressed, seeing no sign of him anywhere. "Oh, he's digging in your fridge or whatever. What do you want to do?" Kyungsoo talked as he fixed the bed sheets.

"So all six of you guys are here?" Min Yu turned to Chanyeol questioningly. "Not quite," he shrugged, opening the door for her. "Suho hyung had something else to do, so Kris and Lay tagged along. And besides, Donghae hyung left him all his reminders," he continued. "What reminders?" The girl asked suspiciously. Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a nudge to make him shut up. "Nothing."

They made it through the hallway with much difficulty, everyone trying to exit through the door all at once. "Baekhyun hyung, please stop pushing me around! I'm holding Min Yu, and if you don't want to see her give birth right now, please behave properly," Kyungsoo scolded before smacking Baekhyun on the arm. "DUIZHAAANG!" the older yelled loudly. "Kyungsoo hit me on the arm!" And he ran down the stairs towards the living room.

"Don't mind him. He's immature like that," Chanyeol looped his arm around hers as they descended the stairs slowly. "Why did you bring Wufan here, we're not that close," Min Yu filled her cheeks with air and blew exasperatingly. D.O snorted while Chanyeol stifled a laugh. "You're not that close but you don't call him with any honorifics?" he arched an eyebrow questioningly.

Min Yu glowered. "I'm...not the honorifics kind of person," she muttered begrudgingly. "And why doesn't he smile?! Like it would kill him to do so. I'll admit that he's good-looking and all, but why does he have to look so cold?!" she continued. "Shuí kàn qilái hao lěng?" (Who looks so cold?) Kris asked with his arms crossed over his chest as he stood at the bottom of the staircase.

Kyungsoo gulped before pretending to his head to the side. "What, Jongin? You need my help? Wait, I'll be there in a sec," and he scurried off to the kitchen. "Ah, hyung, we were..." Chanyeol nudged Min Yu nervously. "We were just talking about snow. It's cold, right? I haven't seen a snow that is hot HAHA," he forced a laugh, but the two weren't listening.

"Ni shi," (You are.) The girl stated defiantly, as if the more-than-six-feet-tall man isn't intimidating at all. "Wo juéduì bùshì!" (I am definitely not!) Kris defended. "Shì zhèyàng!" (Are so!) "Wo bù!" (Am not!) "Shì zhèyàng!" "Wo bù!" "Shì zhèyàng!" "Ugh, you have seriously got to be kidding me," Wufan exclaimed in fluent English as he smacked his forehead with his palm.

"Don't talk to me like that!" Min Yu exclaimed in equally shrieking English, mockingly mimicking Kris' tone. They were the only two left in the living room, and all the others were hiding in the kitchen because, as Changmin -- whom everyone in EXO adored -- so strategically put it, it's always the right choice to be where the food is. And in this case, the food is in the kitchen.

Lay nibbled on a piece of bread as he looked out at the commotion outside. He laughed at how he could never tell who is winning. It was a draw to Kai, though. Kris would say something, and Min Yu would find a way to turn his words against him, and Kris would curse and grumble in a different language, and Min Yu would correct his grammar, and repeat. "It's better than your action movies," Kyungsoo told Baekhyun.

There was no physical violence, however, because Kris knew that before Donghae could give him a punch right in the face, Min Yu would have had smacked him in the head -- as he had seen her done so with Eunhyuk and the others, and judging by the way they will cringe, Wufan knew it would hurt. And besides, all his dongsaengs would kill him.

When Jongin finally was brave enough to open the door, the two were in the middle of a still-heated Cantonese argument. "Wo tóu xiáng," (I surrender.) Wufan held his hand out to end the hour-long fight. Min Yu debated on it first, but since her legs ached after standing for too long, she took his hand and shook it weakly. "Nei hou lek," (You did very well.) she commented and flashed him a smile.

"Ddaeng ddaeng ddaeng!!" Baekhyun slapped Chanyeol's leg three times while imitating the sound of the bell in a boxing match. "For the winner..." Yixing announced as he held something from behind his back. "...we have apples as prize!" He exclaimed excitedly, seeing the gleam in the girl's eyes after seeing the sliced fruit. "And for the loser, we also have apples as punishment." He presented the bowl of apples to Kris.

They all sat huddling over each other while watching television. "Ooh~ you have interesting books in here," Kris exclaimed all of a sudden. "Duizhang! We're all trying to watch in here," Kyungsoo shushed in a modulated voice. "Hey," Min Yu earned a playful nudge on the shoulder. "Did you miss me? Because I didn't miss you at all~" Kai stuck his tongue out at her.

She managed to ignore him and focused on the movie instead. Yixing acted as if he was the main character in the actual movie, cringing and screaming on certain parts that sent shivers down everyone's spines. "See? You open the door and then get scared of what's inside!" Chanyeol shouted in anger. "At least, you now know that it's scary inside, so you won't have to open it again later," Baekhyun argued.

As the movie was at its peak, everyone was on the edge of their seats, and Kyungsoo had turned himself somewhat into a ball, hugging his knees close to his chest as if he was threatening to break any moment. Min Yu's phone rang, and she excused herself to the kitchen so as not to disturb the men busily watching. "Yoboseyo?" she greeted curiously, wondering who might want to talk to her at this time.

"It's Sungmin. Can you come out of your house now? I actually don't have time to ring your doorbell and go inside," he stated hurriedly. He panted against his phone's speaker. Walking briskly, Min Yu advanced to the front door, opening it slightly and peeking through the small crack. And there was Sungmin's car waiting from the gates. "What is it?" she asked.

By then, the EXO members eyed her intently. "What is it?" They caught the door before it closed and imitated her actions. The boys waved at Sungmin, who grew more agitated by the minute of waiting. "It's an emergency. Please hurry," he still spoke with a certain degree of gentleness, and Min Yu didn't want to test how far that degree can last.

She grabbed a black trench coat hanging near the door and stepped out, gnashing her teeth to prevent them from chattering from the cold. Winter was nearing. Taking every step with caution, Min Yu reached his car and immediately entered. Sungmin floored the accelerator, sending her far back her seat. "Sorry," he muttered faintly. "But we really have to hurry."

"Please tell me what's happening." Min Yu blew on her hands before shoving them down her pockets. "You're killing me with suspense here." She looked out the window, and was surprised they were going on a road unfamiliar, less traveled. "It's about Donghae," Sungmin started, and the girl figured out that something had gone wrong, and she braced her weak heart for it.

The Super Junior member wasn't crying nor wasn't in a state of shock, so she guessed it wasn't as bad as she thought. "But bad enough," she whispered to herself inaudibly. "Kyuhyun, Donghae, and I went to a guesting, right? It was a prerecorded one so it was all in the cameras of the directors and staff. One particular director became slowly angered by..." he trailed off, looking hesitant.

"Angered by...?"

"While the cameras rolled, he said Donghae looked tired and sleepless even with all the makeup and shots of Ringer he has had. After many takes, the man tossed his clipboard angrily to a corner and cursed loudly, blaming how..." he cut himself off once more. "How...?" Min Yu looked impatient. "He blamed how much of a burden Donghae's wife was to him."

When she didn't speak, Sungmin continued. "Then they got into a huge fight. I've lived with Donghae for how many years, and it's the first time I've seen him so violent, so angry. I mean, whenever the members would get into a fight, he's not the one to take sides and join in. And now..." he heaved a sigh. "I called Teukie hyung, and he told me to come fetch you to talk some sense into him."

Min Yu's POV

By the time we reached the shooting site, it was already dark. Thankfully, Sungmin helped me walk along the gravel to keep myself from tripping on my own two feet. All eyes seemed to shoot me a glare as soon as I came to view, and though my eyes strained themselves to see the dim-lit surroundings, I somehow had an inkling of what they're thinking. It was my fault.

There were a lot of people whom I had to take notice of and greet not because I wanted to, but because they knew who I was. "That's him," Sungmin whispered lowly against my ear, motioning to the elderly man by a table of various camera equipment. He had a bandage wrapped around his knuckles, and I crossed my fingers, hoping he hadn't hit my husband with that fist.

"Mr. Kim?" Sungmin called out, and the man turned around to face us. I bowed a good (almost) 90 degrees, never minding my bulging stomach. "I would just like to apologize for all the troubles I may have caused for today," I said sincerely, wincing as I could feel my spine outstretching and bending out of its frail limits.

When I stood back upright, the man had a look of confusion plastered on his face. "She's Lee Min Yu, wife of our Lee Donghae," Sungmin explained briefly. After his statement, he wounded his arm on mine and led me to the row of dressing rooms without another word, and so I never did know what the director's side of the story was.

"Kyuhyun-ah?" Sungmin's knuckles rapped against one of the doors along the narrow hallway. The door knob twisted unlocked and opened, revealing everyone hovering over someone sitting by the mirrors. The makeup artists seemed to disperse at our presence. Kyuhyun gestured for me to sit on a plastic chair beside Donghae, who was sleeping with his head rested on the table.

I gently laid a hand on his cheek. "Donghae," I called out softly, and he stirred in his sleep. "Min Yu?" He rubbed his eyes groggily and searched for the two other members. "Why did you bring her here?" he asked almost furiously. "Let's leave the two of them here alone," Sungmin motioned for the staff to evacuate the place one by one, with him and Kyuhyun following afterwards.

"How was your day?" Donghae embraced me quickly before fixing his composure. "Everything fine at home? Have you eaten? Are you thirsty?" He asked all at once spontaneously, standing up to tidy the place a bit and make space. When I didn't respond, he turned to me patiently. I patted his previous seat, asking him to sit back down.

When he was settled in his seat, I dipped forward and let my thumb brush against the bleeding corner of his mouth. Donghae winced slightly while I looked up at him warily. "It's nothing. Just a little misunderstanding a while ago," he beamed a warm smile. "Don't worry. It's fine. What do you want to eat? I'll ask someone to buy food for you."

"I'm sorry," I blurted out all of a sudden. "For what? Min Yu, you didn't do anything wrong," he replied, tucking a lock of my hair away from my face. "I told you I'll be a burden. Now look what happened to your face," I told him, hoping he will listen this time. He just smiled and pulled me in his arms. "No one's allowed to say bad things about you. I won't let them."

-(Late) Merry Christmas and (advanced) Happy New Year~! I'm about to have a new fanfic next year about our Happy Virus Chanyeol ^^ please show me lots of support ☺ Leave comments ♥