We Meet Again

Dear Donghae

Hurt Me - Dalmatian

When asked about his girlfriend, Donghae could only shrug. "Sometimes, she's WAY busier than me. I'd be lying if I'll say I don't mind and that I understand. In fact, I DO mind and I don't really understand. But I'm sure she's doing something more important than being stuck with me the whole time."

So is he saying he's an overly attached boyfriend? The Super Junior member only gave out a laugh as he rested his chin on his propped up hands atop the marble counter that adored the center of his newly-opened restaurant. "Min Yu tells me the same thing sometimes. I mean, she's the type of person who makes people seriously worried about her. Her parents got used to it, though the other members and I still feel like calling the police whenever she's late by a few minutes."

And back to our main point, why a restaurant? Super Junior's Yesung's brother owns a chic little shop by the name Handel and Gretel, which is already frequented by fan girls and celebrities alike. Is he planning to join in on the food business fad? We tried to drift the conversation away from his love life, but it seemed like it was a main factor.

"Min Yu definitely loves coffee. And it became a reason for me to start my own restaurant, so she won't really have to pay high prices for her food. Actually, I don't want her to pay at all. With this business, I won't have to worry about her skipping meals and not eating on time."

You and I host Lee Hyori was right. Min Yu really is lucky.

Who knows, some fortunate opening-day customers might chance upon seeing Lee Donghae sporting an apron and going in for a shift behind the cash register, together with the other Super Junior members. While the interview was ongoing, we couldn't help but notice that most of the customers were more interested on the owner than on the food itself, which all taste absolutely heavenly.

Why not drop by for a little visit?

Narrator's POV

"Stop sulking! You're driving all the good luck away," Yesung scolded while filling up the order for two teenaged fan girls sitting by the corner. "Eh~ starting a restaurant and not even wanting to do any work!" Heechul added, busily wiping tables clean and keeping chairs in place. The place looked inviting to anyone who would pass by, and it's a sure thing that every customer would arrive to be welcomed by Donghae's contagious frown.

The chimes sounded as the door swung open. Donghae looked up, only to resume his previous position when it was only Sungmin who arrived. "What happened to you? Are you already bankrupt on your first day?" he asked amidst the noisy environment. "Don't mind him, hyung. He's been like that first thing in the morning, faked a smile when reporters arrived, and tada! He's back to normal," Kyuhyun answered, donning a chef's hat on his head with a knife on his hand.

"Don't come out like that! People would get scared and they'll wonder what you're doing to their food!" Sungmin shooed the maknae away. "What time is it?" Donghae turned to Eunhyuk blankly. "It's 2 in the afternoon," the latter replied, tapping away on the touch-screen monitor and printing out receipts behind the cash register. "Aish. She won't come around until 2 hours later..." the corners of Donghae's mouth twisted down to a bigger frown.

"You know what would make her come around faster?" Siwon asked. Donghae's eyes lit up at the sudden question. It really is nice to have someone who would cheer you up in times of dire distress. "What is it? What? What? What? WHAT?!" he demanded quickly, losing patience at the torturous pause. In response, Siwon shoved an apron towards his chest. "Do some work. That would pass the time. She'd be here before you know it."

Donghae wound the garment around his torso angrily, stomping his feet while holding a rag and wiping tables clean. "She told me she would come. 'I'll follow after my classes finish.'" he grumbled, mimicking how her voice sounded like. "She had an hour to see me before she went to the university, she could have come here and ate lunch with me. BUT NO! She went ahead and 'studied in advance'. Psh," he grumbled under his breath, table after table.

"STOP THAT!" Heechul shrieked loudly. Donghae kept silent after being scolded and headed to another corner to clean...only to resume his mumblings. "I bet she won't even come here. She'll just say she's tired. TOO BAD! I already made her coffee and it's only waiting in the kitchen. She can't say no to me, huh. I won't talk to her if she arrives later..." he muttered darkly, occasionally glancing out the window desperately.

"OW!" he exclaimed when he felt something hit his head. "If you don't stop your complaining, I'll burn your restaurant down!" Heechul pointed his finger at him menacingly.

He was totally angered at this point. "Sorry," tears fell from his eyes, trickling down on his cheeks before he could wipe it away. "Hae, take charge here," Eunhyuk felt pity towards his best friend and volunteered to take his position.

He slumped his head against the monitor and sighed. His phone was in silent mode in his pocket, and the idea of calling her never occurred in his mind. She'll just get mad at him for being so naggy. But he missed her terribly, what could he do? The chimes hanging by the door sounded again, but Donghae never bothered to look up. Disappointment would only get the best of him if he gave a quick glance.

"Well...I'm not really sure if this counts as administrative negligence, but I have to do more reading later. So can you please take my order now?" a voice erupted from in front. "I'm not talking to you," Donghae stood up straight and crossed his arms over his chest without looking at her...at least, not directly. "Quite packed, huh? I told you you didn't need me here to help, you can do well by yourself," Min Yu smiled and let her eyes wander all over the place.

"WHY ARE YOU HERE ANYWAYS?!? I thought your classes ended at four during Tuesdays," he yelled angrily. "I cut classes just to see you and I get yelled at as a thank you? How sweet," she toyed with the straps of her bag slung over her shoulder.

"Heard that? Give her some credit, hyung," Ryeowook butted in while holding a tray of food. People started to turn and stare at the two bickering. "BUT STILL! I'M ANGRY. END OF TALK," he glared at her coldly, but deep inside wanted to kiss her so badly. "Oppa~" she played with her fingers and gave him a sad look. "Eh~ Please move away so other customers can give their order," he said in a stern voice.

"Playing hard to get when she's just right in front of you, huh?" Siwon teased Donghae with a nudge, which the latter just shook away. "I'm managing a business here," he motioned for her to go away. Knowing it won't work, "Yeobo~" Min Yu called out exasperatingly. Donghae froze in his defiant stance, with his heart wavering like crazy. "It won't work anymore," in the end, still angry.

"Fine. I'll go home after you get my order," she stood, dignified.

"What do you want?" he asked, as if he had no idea...and as if he didn't obsessively prepared coffee just for her moments ago.

"Coffee," Min Yu replied.

"That's all? Did you even eat lunch? Aren't you starving?"

"I'll eat at omma's," she defended.

"Fine," he said, tapping away on the screen with his forefinger. "That'd be..." before he could mention a price, Min Yu already tiptoed over the counter and kissed him sweetly. Afterwards, she resumed her previous position with a cocky smile. "How much is it again?" she fumbled for her wallet in her jeans pocket. "For you? It's free," Donghae's mouth upturned to a  warm, sincere smile.

He handed him the cup of coffee he had brewed himself especially for her. "Come sit with me," she invited, leaning against the marble counter. "The others would complain about how I own the place yet don't lift a finger to help. But would you wait until about six?" Donghae glanced at the time nervously, waiting for her answer. "Sure," Min Yu nodded curtly and headed to a vacant table.

Min Yu's POV

Day 14

 

Dear Donghae,

You look like a waiter without trying hard ^^

"Don't you want to help them? They're pretty worn-out," someone commented from in front.

I looked up from the hardbound, thousand-paged book in my hands, only to meet Chunji's eyes. My lips parted, as if to say something, but closed again, obviously at a loss for proper words. "Had one too many coffees, huh?" he smiled and made himself comfortable on the seat in front of me. People were looking at us, but all that I was worried about was Donghae having misinterpretations.

My eyes blinked a few times, just making sure he wasn't just a by-product of four tall espressos and my wild imagination. "Hey," a smile crept up my face at the sight of him, "how have you been?" I set my book down with a plop on the round table. "Been so tired lately~ we'll be leaving for a tour soon," he rubbed the back of his neck while his lips puckered up. I took a deep breath, fighting the sudden instinct to touch him.

"When are you leaving?" the question came blurting out.

Chunji raised his eyebrow questioningly, making me look away in regret. "I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't...never mind," I stammered as if my tongue was suddenly someone else's. He just chuckled, the sound of his laughter making flashbacks of better days rewind in my head. "Today's the 9th of September, right?" he demanded. I only nodded in approval as he counted inside his own head.

"On the 15th," he finally answered. Already?! But we've just seen each other after who knows how long, and he's leaving again. Though I'm currently not in the position to inquire about everything he was about to do and where he was about to go, I still felt jealous of the people who get to see him every day. "Have you seen Min Young yet?" I asked, distracting myself from my own thoughts.

Chunji just nodded, "She seems more talkative than ever." "Children are more active when they reach seven years of age," I commented with a sip from my coffee. He just glared at me with wide eyes. "What?" I demanded consciously. "Your sister's already eight," he waved his hand in front of my face like I was sick or crazy even. "SHE'S WHAT?!?" I almost shouted.

"Min Young turned eight last February. Don't you remember?" he let out a light laugh at my probably shocked expression. "What kind of sister are you?"

"And to think...all this time, I've been telling people she's seven," my hands shook at the sudden truth.

He laughed heartily, slapping the table with his hand. I scowled and stuck my tongue out at him. "I don't care~"

The lad reached for my face, his forefinger and thumb abusing my left cheek, "You never changed even a bit." I rubbed the side of my face to avoid its reddening. Suddenly, it felt like a huge rewind button had been pressed, and we were together again. I flashed the same bright smile emanating from the corners of my mouth whenever he laughs.

I looked up, only to see him staring back, then the smile faded. Taking a dignified sip from the coffee in my hands, I shifted my gaze away from his. He could only let out a sigh. "Times have changed, though," Chunji commented, his finger tracing the table's edge. If we were in another time, possibly in another place, and in better terms, I would have scolded him and told him it's dirty, blabbering out sermons about hygiene and sanitation, but I wasn't just in the authority.

"I miss you terribly," said Chunji out of the blue. My teeth gnashed inside my closed mouth as nostalgia washed over me. "It still hurts seeing you completely okay without me." I felt hesitant to stare at his face and meet his eyes, afraid to let history repeat itself, pulling everyone back in in the process. "And I make sure I don't fall in love with anyone else because I've got my fingers crossed that you'd come back."

He sniffled. I watched him intently as tears leaked from his eyes. Why would he cry in front of me? My eyes wandered aimlessly around the whole place, only to see Donghae with a frown on his face and his eyes red from constant scratching. I almost tore my hair out of its roots in total anger at my own self. "Love me again," pleaded Chunji, his tone already decided and confident. "Please?"

We were both silent for a minute, the dead air suddenly becoming music to my ears. Donghae left his spot by the counter and went somewhere more private. Of course he wouldn't want to be seen crying in public, much more adding to my already pile of guilt. "I think you should go. Let me walk you out," I stood up and chewed on my lower lip in full reluctance.

In the end, Chunji did the same and maintained his composure. People stared as we passed by, and are probably murmuring about me being such a cheater, even in front of my own boyfriend. But it wasn't their problem. After slow, awkward strides to the door, the painful twenty-three-step travel was over. Chunji's hands were shoved into his pockets while I marked this day as the first time I ordered him, although indirectly, to leave.

We both reached for the door handle, but I insisted to push it open. The warm air from outside rushed in from different directions as I went out, with him following soon after. "How are you going to go home?" I raised my eyebrow questioningly. He pointed to his car parked a good distance away from where we were standing. I nodded and glanced at the busy surroundings.

"Are you happy?"

I turned to look at him fully, seeing his expression stern and serious, eagerly waiting for my answer. Without any premonitions or doubt, "Of course,” I replied.

Narrator's POV

Her worn out shoes squeaked against the mopped floor, walking right past through the Wet Floor sign Heechul had left after his assigned duty. Min Yu quickly headed behind the counter, pushing the door separating it from the kitchen to enter. She passed by Kyuhyun panicking because of two spontaneous orders waiting for him, and he ran back and forth in his haste.

She saw him standing in front of the sink, his hair a mess, with his sleeves rolled up above his elbows. Donghae stared blankly at the pile of dirty dishes in front of him, and sighed as his eyes stung from the crying mode he had been on a while ago. Min Yu wound her arms around his waist and pressed her face on his back. She felt him tense up and hold her hands.

"How was it?" asked Donghae curiously. There was still a hint of sobbing in his deep voice, which made her feel even worse. "Are you mad?" Min Yu asked in muffles. In between dialogues, the hustle and bustle from outside was barely heard, except for the occasional creaks of the door opening and closing from Kyuhyun's tiring task as the cook.

"NO!" he exclaimed quite loudly. "Why would you think that?"

"Probably because you're crying?" she rested both her hands on his broad shoulders and forced him to face her. "Who told you I was crying?" he defended stubbornly, though it was obvious he was only lying. Min Yu raised her eyebrow suspiciously at him, and Donghae tried his best to push the corners of his mouth up for a smile. "You're mad. Just yell at me all you want. Don't make me guiltier than I already am," she whined and buried her face in her hands.

"Who said I was angry?" he pried her fingers away from her face. He chuckled lightly at the sight of her feeling ashamed. When Donghae successfully pulled her hands away, he spun around and turned the faucet on, letting the water run over the used dishes. "I'm sorry," muttered Min Yu, loud enough for him to hear.

"All you did was talk to him, right? I see nothing wrong with that. And there's no need for you to apologize," protested Donghae.

Seconds ticked by with the atmosphere still filled with tension. "So...what did you two talk about?" he pressed curiously. "He told me he was leaving again," she replied truthfully. "Oh really? They've been really busy for promotions," he nodded in agreement. "And..." she started hesitantly. "And what?" he demanded. "He kind of asked me, in a way, to take him back," she confessed nervously.

Min Yu waited eagerly for the hurled ceramic plates, the sound of breaking glass, and the searing pain she would feel deep inside if he storms out and leaves her. She's been used to all those before, not that she doesn't fear it despite the familiarity. But it didn't come. "What did you tell him?" Donghae asked calmly, as if she was just telling him a story from past incidents.

"I told him to leave," she looked down and played with her fingers. He turned around, with a smug smile on his face and his eyes appearing to be mere lines on either side of his sharp nose bridge. His wet hands went up to both her cheeks and he squeezed it harshly, while repeatedly planting sweet kisses on her lips. "You're so sweet. I love you so much~" Donghae exclaimed in between his actions.

When he finally let go, she hugged him tightly. "Are you sure you're not mad?" she pressed once again, just to make sure. "No," he replied with a wide grin across his face. They remained frozen on the same position afterwards, with no words exchanged and no further steps taken. She was the first to pull away and headed for the door. Min Yu exited without much ado, walking through the door and leaving Donghae alone. But it didn't take a whole minute for her to come marching back to him.

"DID YOU JUST LEAVE DISHWASHING LIQUID ON MY FACE?!"

~Happy birthday to krispajaron ☺