Chapter 11

Dear Donghae

You Wouldn't Answer My Calls - 2AM

Min Yu's POV

My eyes fluttered open and saw that I wasn't in my room. Beside me, Donghae was sleeping soundly and his blanket hovered over the two of us. Last night's drunkenness crashed down on me like cold, icy water.

Clothes were strewn carelessly on the floor. My bag was nowhere to be found. My glasses were rested on the bedside table. I sat up and covered myself with a blanket.

What have I done?

I fumbled for my phone and checked the time. Crap. I would be late. I remained seated on the bed, still contemplating on what had happened last night. Blood rushed from my head to my body, my head spinning in dizziness.

I need to go to work, yet I'm hungover. Why did I let myself get drunk? I stood up and prepared to gather my clothes and get dressed. But Donghae's arms pulled me back to the bed.

"Stay. Don't go."

"I have work to do. Last night...last night was an accident. I was drunk, and I don't know how I got on your doorstep. I'm sorry. I've already caused so much trouble..." I forced myself away from him.

What would Yoona say? How would I tell Chunji? Questions flooded my mind together with the pressure of recognition.

"Don't be sorry. Last night was amazing, if you ask me. I'm glad it happened. But please, don't go. I'd make you breakfast if you want. Just stay for a little while longer. Please? You're hungover, I know. I'd take care of you. Just don't go," he turned me to face him, but I avoided his pleading eyes. I know myself too well. If I stared straight into his eyes, I wouldn't be able to leave.

"I have to go," I said. I picked up my clothes from the floor and rushed to the bathroom. I took a quick shower and left without another word. Where were the other members? Did they have any idea of what had happened last night? I went out of the dorm and out into the streets. I waited for and hailed a cab to go to work.

On the way, the taxi driver might have thought I was crazy. I was a grown woman crying inside his cab. I never thought that I'd be a cheater. I cried not because I regretted doing it with Donghae.

I cried because at that time, even though I was Chunji's...even though Donghae already has a girlfriend, I know deep inside that it was exactly what I wanted to happen.

Narrator's POV

"Hey, are you fine? Is something bothering you?" Hyun Jae asked Min Yu that morning as she stomped her way inside the office. Her tear-stricken face indicated clearly that something had gone terribly wrong.

"It's nothing," Min Yu replied as usual, and she said nothing more. She did her dialy responsibilities, pressuring her staff and contributors to do their best in everything they do.

"Min Yu, the chief editor wants to talk to you," the secretary whispered against her ear. She composed herself as she watched her own reflection on the glass wall. When satisfied, she went ahead and into the chief's office.

"You wanted to talk to me?" she greeted with a warm smile, erasing any traces of her dilemma. "Take a seat," he motioned and started tapping away on his keyboard.

She sat up straight and waited for his next word. She longed for his position. She wanted to cling to his seat and never let go until she died. But with great position meant she has to face greater challenges.

There were more sleepless nights, more scolding to do, but admit it, there's more money. "I want you to take a look at this," he turned his monitor screen to face her.

The picture was of North Korea's failed launch attempt last April, 2012. There was little news of the incident, for the emancipated country couldn't face the shame it had brought unto them.

"See, there's news of them wanting to make another launch. It's not big news yet, especially today in the year 2019, since it's more of a hearsay," he explained.

Somehow she knew where this was going, and braced herself to give out a pleasing answer.

"What I want you to do is to go there personally. This is a really biased favor especially from me. If our company gets hold of the scoop first, it would be a breakout. Do you understand what I mean?" he said and she nodded in response.

"Great. So, are you in this or not?" he asked.

She played with her fingers nervously and weighed her options. If ever she had successfully done her task, she would be acclaimed as a journalist.

"Can I...can I think about it first? I have a lot going on in my head right now and I don't want to give out an answer I would surely regret in the long run," she replied.

He slumped back in his seat and nodded to himself. "Smart answer. We're not rushing here, but the most time I could give you is two weeks. Is it alright?" he pondered deeply.

She stood up and shook his hand. "It's more than enough. Thank you for your trust," she bowed to show her utter respect for the chief editor. "You are more than welcome," he responded and gave her permission to go.

Min Yu's POV

"Mind if I come over?" Chunji asked as I answered his call. "No. I already moved out and lived in Jeju," I joked. He was silent for a moment.

"Give me a minute to reflect on your joke. On the count of three, I would laugh out loud awkwardly and you will open the door afterwards because I'm already outside. One...two...three...HAHAHAHAHA. You're so funny. That's why I love you," he said.

I walked over to my front door and opened it. "Babo," I punched him slightly on his arm. "Come on. You know I was just joking," he removed his shoes and entered, shutting the door behind him.

"Wait. Give me a minute to reflect on your joke as you did so with mine," I pretended to ponder deeply. He snickered and took a seat on the dining table across from me.

"What are you doing?" he asked, poring through the pile of books on the table. "Work and homework. I'm dead tired. It's like my brain cells have decreased to only one. So it's only brain cell," I sighed.

He chuckled out heartily and he stared at me intently as I alternate my gaze from my book to my notebook to my laptop. "Do you want to eat?" I asked. "Do you have any food?" he stood up and watched television instead.

"Let's just go to omma's and ask her to cook for us. I'm tired and lazy," I complained and gathered my things to bring them with me. "Sure. I want to go see Min Young too," he smiled and helped me carry my stuff.

We walked happily hand in hand down the streets to my parents' house. "So..." he started. I gulped down nervously and looked away.

By any chance, does he know what had happened last night? Did he have any idea? Did Donghae tell him? I crossed my fingers and hoped he hadn't told on Chunji first. I want the words to come pouring out from my own mouth and not from someone else's.

"Do you have anything to do this weekend?" he asked. I stopped in my tracks and began to laugh boisterously. "W-what?" he asked, confused. All I could do was laugh my heart out until what he said has sunk into me deeply.

"You...SERIOUSLY?" I managed to say in between my uproars. "What's so funny?" he smiled to himself, still with a questioning look on his face.

I calmed myself down, and held his hand, swaying to and fro. "Can you even give me an idea as to what was so funny just seconds ago?" he asked. Laughter began to build up inside me again, but I don't want to irritate him.

"Remember during high school, when you stuttered just like what you did a while ago, when all you wanted to ask was if you could walk me home?" I reminisced the aged memories.

He blushed and laughed with me too. "You always make fun of me for that day," he pouted. "Fine. I'm sorry," I kissed his cheek gently. "Of course I'd be free this weekend, why?" I asked, finally reaching the gates of the house and pressing the doorbell.

"Well, we've been together for eight years and I think it's just right for you to meet my parents," he said.

I gulped down hard and for the first time, couldn't give him a straight answer. I wasn't nervous. Everytime Chunji wanted me to meet his friends or his relatives, I've been more than happy to have a little chat with them.

His parents were of the same thing. It's just that I can't bring myself to lie and act as I haven't done anything wrong to Chunji.

Here he was, holding my hand, carrying my things, and standing in front of our house. The smile on his face indicated no clue of last night's incident. I wanted to tell him. I just don't know how to say it, and how he would react.

The gates opened and we went inside the house, with me still not giving him an answer. Inside, omma prepared food for us and left us to eat and look after Min Young.

"Can I tell you something?" I started softly. "What is it?" he asked. I braced myself for the hit. He'd break up with me. I was sure of it. Who else would want to stay with their girlfriend if she continuously cheats on their boyfriend?

"I..." tears brimmed in my eyes and threatened to fall. "What--why are you crying?" he heaved his hand up and down my back to comfort me.

"I slept with Donghae last night," I confessed. "It was an accident. I was drunk and I stumbled into his doorstep and...and..." I sobbed furiously, angry at myself and angry at Donghae for what had happened.

Chunji's hand backed away and his eyes were blank like glass. "I'm sorry," I buried my face in my hands and continued crying. "You should hurt me, slap and punch me because I did nothing good to you," I cried.

He stood up and walked out the door.

Narrator's POV

"Oh hyung," Changjo greeted. Chunji didn't give even as much as a smile to his fellow member. He made his way slowly to his room, practically dragging his feet up the stairs and across the smooth floor. His feet shuffled silently, making each step a burden to bear with.

He heard noises inside his room and went inside. He watched as Niel and Ricky run around and have a noisy, irritating pillow fight.

The noise made him more angry. "GET OUT!" he yelled and ordered, pointing to the door. The two clearly don't know anything about respect and privacy. They have their own rooms for crying out loud.

"What the...?!" Ricky exclaimed. Niel followed his order, returning the pillows back to the bed. Chunji stomped over to Ricky and held his collar with his fist tightly clenched.

"WHAT?!" he hissed through gritted teeth. The younger shivered at how angry his face looked like. "Hyung, we're sorry," Niel pried Chunji's fingers off of Ricky shirt until he released him completely.

Niel dragged him out of the room, closing the door behind them. He laid face down on his bed and fumbled for his phone. She left missed calls and messages, telling him she was sincerely sorry.

He tapped his phone and a picture of him and Min Yu instantly lit up the whole screen. It was a picture of them during their first anniversary, days after her 16th birthday. He brought her to Lotte World, and he remembered how priceless her smile was.

Chunji smiled as he realized how long it has been and how much they've grown individually without growing apart.

He sighed and stared at her picture closely. "Min Yu-ah, why do you always have to hurt me like this?" he cried. "You always find a way to break my heart." He reflected back on the years they've been together. Had he given her his best? Was it enough?

"Girlfriend problems again?" he got startled when he heard L.Joe's voice. Chunji nodded, earning a laugh from the other. "You two seem to be on the rocks these days," L.Joe commented, shaking his head. "What happened?" he asked.

Chunji just gave a shrug, not wanting to talk about it. "Fine. Do me a favor. To help yourself have that peace of mind you've been longing to have, why don't you just give Min Yu to me? You've had your fill of her for eight years," L.Joe suggested.

They both chuckled and Chunji punched him jokingly. "You know that no matter what she does, I'll never give her away," he replied.