Estranged

Dear Donghae

World Turns - Secondhand Serenade

Narrator's POV

Min Yu woke up only to see his face inches from hers. He was perfect in every way, and she wondered what else could go wrong at this moment. Her eyes traveled from his disheveled brown hair, his smooth forehead, his loving -- even though closed eyes, down to his perfect nose, and lastly, to his soft, pink lips. She attacked his face repeatedly, kissing every inch and every corner of his face.

If this was just a dream, then she wouldn't have wanted to wake up. But she can't control her subconscious, her part of the mind that still lives in what used to be. "Is that your way of greeting me good morning?" he smiled with his eyes still closed. He brushed the hair strands that covered her eyes and his hands around her waist grew tighter.

"Baby, don't go to work~" Chunji whined and pouted, knowing how she loved his cute acts.

Min Yu's fist slammed against the wall as she remembered her dream. She had cried herself to sleep last night, and she was pretty sure Donghae had known it too. Chunji kept reoccurring in her mind in the most unexpected of moments, even though she had tried her utmost best to accept the fact that there was no chance of them getting back together. She had ordered herself a hundred times to move on, but her scumbag feelings weren't cooperating.

"Are you okay in there?" Donghae asked from outside. She cleared before answering, "Yeah. I'm fine." The lie had been used too often, too frequent that it doesn't seem to work anymore, even if she had told herself that she was, indeed, "fine". Hearing Donghae's voice only made her more remorseful, as if the pain she was feeling wasn't enough.

She went out and got dressed before going to the kitchen, where Donghae had already laid out the breakfast he had prepared. The bright smile on his face reminded her of better days to come. She sat down beside him and began eating. He knew quite well that her spirits were low, and he knew better than to keep quiet. He blabbered on and on about things he thought was funny and interesting to hear.

She, in turn, cued him on with occasional responses and smiled if she found his words amusing. He even commented on her slow eating, as if she had no work to go to, and even offered to feed her instead. She declined, pushing his hand away, and he continued ranting on about how fans went crazy whenever Siwon would give him a back hug or how wild the crowd reacts whenever Eunhyuk lifts his shirt up.

"Do you think I'm just using you for me to move on?"

Her question blurted out of her lips before she could think about it thoroughly. Donghae was about to pop another portion of food into his mouth but stopped when Min Yu had asked the question. A lot of things ran through both their minds. The last time she had been too honest, Chunji left without another word and never talked to her for days. Donghae organized his thoughts carefully before answering, knowing she was waiting for one.

"I won't ask you if you ARE just using me. In fact, no matter what your answer would be, or even if you don't answer at all, I don't care. You can come to me whenever you want to. Ask me for anything and I'll give it to you. I can love you for a million reasons without anything in return. I could give and you could take without reciprocating the act. Use me. Use me however you want. I just...I just love you."

She stood up and hugged him from behind, her tears coming out uncontrollably. He smiled and ruffled her hair. "Don't be sad anymore, okay?"

Min Yu's POV

After work, I ate lunch alone at Starbucks, getting sufficient attention and questions from the staff as to why I was alone, knowing that I was always with someone before. I just shrugged it off and enjoyed my solitude, although I don't see any reason that I should be happy when there was absolutely no one to talk to. The wind chimes hanging by the door sounded loudly as customers went in and out of the place.

"Min Yu-ssi?" someone called out. I turned around only to see the Teen Top members walking towards me. "Hey," I greeted back and turned to my food awkwardly. If ever Chunji was there, I would have to just excuse myself and leave without looking like a total mess. Yes, I agreed to myself mentally, that's what I'll do. "What are you doing here?" Niel asked, dragging vacant chairs and sitting across from me.

"Oh, you know, just waiting for the circus," I replied sarcastically. "When did you come back from Thailand?" L.Joe interrogated after they had all taken the seats surrounding me. Luckily, Chunji was the only one missing. I breathed a sigh of relief. "About a week ago," I answered. "Why didn't you tell us? And where are our presents?!" Changjo whined.

"THERE'S A CIRCUS?!" Ricky's eyes widened at his exclamation, earning him a glare from all of us. "We're already seated but we haven't even ordered anything to eat yet," CAP realized out loud. They all stood up and headed to fall in line towards the counter, except L.Joe. He eyed me suspiciously, like I was some kind of liar. "What?!" I asked in defense.

He just smirked and shook his head. "So...where is he?" I finally asked the question I've been dying to know the answer to. "Who?" L.Joe cocked his head to one side questioningly. Really now? He really wants me to say his name? "You know...Chunji," I bit my lip after saying his name out loud. I looked out the window and waited attentively for his answer.

"Right now, he's off to see his parents in Gyeonggi-do. He's been traveling a lot lately and we barely see him," he responded. I nodded, whether it's because I understood why he was leaving or it's because I just agreed, I wasn't sure. "How is he?" I pressed, ready to hear whatever state he was in. I was just curious to know how he is right now. "He's fine," Byunghun answered truthfully, "How about you?"

I gulped the lump forming in my throat and sighed. There was no use lying to L.Joe. "Honestly, not really well. I mean, I'm dying to see him again. It's just that I don't know if he'd want to see me. This stupid ring on my finger made me remember every darn thing and..." the tears began streaming down my face. He transferred to the seat beside me and heaved his hand up and down my back in consolation.

Narrator's POV

After her afternoon classes in law school, Min Yu dropped by to her parents' house to come and visit her sister and mother. As soon as she entered, she was greeted by sweet kisses from Min Young and a loving smile from her mother. It was great to be back where she came from. Min Yu assisted Min Jae in preparing dinner and helped her sister with school work.

"Unnie, can you help me with History next? I'm having trouble understanding something," the child asked. The door bell rang after her statement, making the older one stand up. "Sure, sure. Just wait," she replied and wondered who could be visiting them at this time. She opened the door, only to find herself face to face with Chunji. They both stood frozen on their respective spots by the doorframe without moving or saying anything.

Good thing Min Young was curious enough to take a peek by the door and come dashing towards him. "Oppa~" she greeted excitedly. Chunji snapped from his trance and welcomed the child into his arms. He went inside, walking right past Min Yu, and into the living room. Min Yu blinked her eyes a few times and even pinched her arm slightly, just to make sure she wasn't dreaming or just imagining things.

She followed to where they were and realized she didn't really want to disturb the moment. Instead, she stormed to her mother, busily setting the table, and pulled her by the arm to the kitchen. "Omma, are you doing this on purpose?" she crossed her arms over her chest and asked. "Doing what?" Min Jae demanded, confused. "Did you really want me and Chunji to see each other?" she whispered, glancing occasionally to where he was to make sure he wasn't overhearing.

"Of course not! He's welcome to come here whenever he wants. Min Young loves being with him. He's fun to have around. Your father and I see nothing wrong in having him here," she explained as-a-matter-of-factly. "Fine," she spun on her heels and marched back to the living room with her feet stomping noisily. She rummaged through her bag and minded her own business, letting herself be absorbed in a book about constitutional law.

Dinner time came and they all gathered in the dining room to eat altogether. At the corner of his eye, Chunji stole frequent glances towards Min Yu's way. "So...I thought you were about to go to your parents' house?" she asked out of nowhere, poking at her food blankly without really eating it. "I decided to drop by here first," he replied monotonously. His eyes fell to the ring on her finger, and he smiled to himself.

After eating, he spent more time with the child, although Min Young already knew that the two already headed their separate ways. He hated how cowardly he seemed like, not even bothering to talk to Min Yu, unlike before when their conversations seemed never-ending. Right now, they both acted like they didn't know each other, like they hadn't spent eight years together.

She chewed on her lips, wanting so badly to tell him everything she was feeling and thinking about. Before she knew it, he stood up and fixed his clothes. "Min Young-ah, oppa will already leave, arasseo?" he informed the child. "Take care," she replied cutely, her cuteness made Chunji kneel down to kiss her cheek. Min Yu's fists clenched at the contact. Oh how she envied her sister's position right now...

"Noona, I'll go ahead. Thanks for the dinner," he called out to the busy mother in the kitchen. "Sure. Drive safely, okay?" she shouted back. He gave Min Yu one last look, as if he wanted to say something, but the words got stuck in his throat. She just gave him a curt nod without saying anything, and turned back to her book. He exited the front door without much ado.

As soon as the door closed, Min Yu stood up. Right now, she never cared if it seemed degrading on her part to be the first one to make a move. No, it wasn't anything like that. All she wanted was to see him again. And when she did have the chance, she acted as if he was invisible, a nonexistent creature. She tossed the book across the table without bothering to mark the page where she left off. She ran through the front door and wished she wasn't too late.

Chunji walked off the porch and descended the steps slowly. An hour ago, all he wanted was to see her again. He had longed to talk to her, to hold her again, to see her. Even though it would only make him fall further in love and make it harder for him to move on, at least it would satisfy his yearning heart. But then she didn't feel the same. He headed towards his parked car an--

"WAIT!"