Chapter 7

Dear Donghae

Holding Back The Tears - DBSK

Narrator's POV

Donghae noticed how Min Yu's smile faded. "Nice to meet you. You're just in time for dinner," Yoona said. Min Yu smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "I bet you're a good cook," she commented and sat down on the sofa.

Yoona rushed to the kitchen and added some more salt to the food before serving it. "So what were you about to say?" he sat down beside Min Yu. "Oh. It's nothing," she mumbled and proceeded to turn on her laptop.

"Come on. What is it? You're such a kill joy," he whined. "It's nothing," she repeated. "You guys, come on and eat," Yoona started setting the table. Donghae helped her with the plates and glasses.

In the corner of her eye, Min Yu watched the two. And she felt bad for herself. She knew she couldn't compare to a girl like Yoona, which made her feel worse, and it added up to the words she never got to say.

Min Yu got up and walked over to the table. "I don't think it would be enough for the three of us," she noticed. "Oh. Why don't you two just eat? I'm full anyway," Yoona removed her apron and sat beside Donghae.

"No. You two eat," Donghae stood up. "It's fine. I don't feel like eating anything. Go ahead and eat," Min Yu said and went back to the sofa. No one said anything more and the couple started to eat.

Min Yu quietly sulked as she heard the two talking and eating happily together. She wanted to call Heechul and tell him to sit with her, but Donghae would notice something wrong. Min Yu just drowned herself with work and suffered in silence.

"This is delicious. Min Yu, open your mouth and try this," Donghae stood up and headed to Min Yu with a spoon on his hand.

She shook her head, but actually craving for Donghae's attention. "No thanks. I'm not hungry," she replied. He sat down beside her and held the food in front of .

"Please? Just try. It's delicious," he pressed.

She just pushed his hand away and continued the keyboard with her fingers. She wanted to get tired as soon as possible to have an excuse to go home. After the couple ate dinner, Donghae ran up to his room to get something.

Min Yu stood up and helped Yoona with the dishes. "I'll just wash these," she volunteered. "No. I will. You haven't had the chance to eat and you're still the one washing. I'll just do it," the older replied.

"It's fine, really," she insisted and took the plates from her hands. "Thanks," Yoona said. She followed her to the kitchen and started a conversation.

"Where's Chunji? You've been together for a long time, right?" she asked. Min Yu cringed, but didn't want to show she was uncomfortable. "Yeah." she nodded. "Eight years. But we broke up a while ago," she answered casually, not letting any emotions show.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to," Yoona exclaimed and tried comforting her.

"It's fine. You didn't know," she faked another smile.

Yoona looked at the time. "Oh. I should get going. It was nice meeting you," she gave her a quick hug. "Donghae?" she called out. He descended down the stairs slowly.

"Yeah?" he responded.

"I have to go home," she shouted back. He ran down and put his arm over her shoulder. "I'll walk you to the door," he said and they walked out the house.

Min Yu's tears threatened to fall, and she let them. She's been holding it in for too long. Her tired hands shook as it washed the used plates and she let herself wallow in her own misery. "Min Yu?" Donghae crept up behind her. She wiped the tears away and continued washing the dishes. "What?" she replied.

"You shouldn't be doing that. Your hands are tired," he gave her a backhug. "Where's Yoona?" she struggled to push him away and was afraid to get caught. "She's already on her way home. I got her a cab," he explained. "Why didn't you tell me that you and Chunji broke up?" he asked. She just shook her head and said nothing.

"Are you okay?" he demanded and searched her face for answers. "I'm fine," her rusted answer made her voice crack. "Are you mad?" he asked again. She let the dishes slip from her hands. The ceramic plates made a loud sound as they fell to the aluminum sink.

"You know what? If you want to do the dishes, go ahead. I want to go home anyway," she stepped aside, pulling away from Donghae's arms. "I'll drive you to your apartment. It's raining," he offered.

"Why didn't you do that to Yoona? She's your girlfriend," her cold answer pierced his heart. She was obviously angry. He couldn't answer, and Min Yu didn't wait for one. She went back to the living room and gathered her things and put it in her bag.

"I can walk," she said. Donghae sighed and tried to hold her hand. "Hey..." he called out when Min Yu started walking away. She turned around and looked at him sadly.

"You promised." She sniffled and walked out the dorm without turning back.

She cried on the way home, and her vision blurred because of the tears. It was raining again, as it always did when she was sad. She stopped by the nearest convenience store and bought 2 bottles of soju. She doesn't drink, but tonight might be a good start.

She drank when she got home, downing the alcohol straight from the bottle. She thought about Chunji and Donghae at the same time. She plopped down on her bed and began drunk-dialing. She decided to call Chunji and tried to leave him a voicemail.

Donghae's POV

Min Yu was obviously jealous. I saw how her face fell when I introduced Yoona. I saw how she faked a smile when Yoona invited her to eat. I saw how she watched us eat dinner. I wanted to kick Yoona out of the house.

I wanted to break up with her even just after hours of being officially a couple. She's my first girlfriend...second, if you count Min Yu. But it doesn't matter. She probably hated my guts right now.

"You promised." her two words echoed in my mind and played back again and again. It only took two words...two words to tell me how she felt. Two words to make me realize what I've done, to make me see what I've gotten myself into.

"I feel bad for Min Yu," I remember what Yoona had said as I walked her out of the dorm. "Why?" I asked. "She and Chunji broke up after eight years. Can you imagine that? They've been together for so long yet they never ended up together," she said.

"Maybe because they weren't really meant for each other," I guessed. Maybe because Min Yu and I were really the ones meant to be together, I wanted to add. Maybe because she only belonged to me, and not Chunji. I helped Yoona hail a cab, and we easily got one.

"Goodnight," she tiptoed, wanting to give me a kiss. I tilted my head a bit so she could kiss my cheek.

She looked disappointed by my action. I opened the door to the cab and helped her inside. I slammed the door shut and watched as the vehicle drove off. My lips were only for Min Yu, and even my own girlfriend cannot take that away. It was Min Yu's. Only for her. I turned around and headed back to the dorm. Then rain started to pour.

"Hey." a voice echoed throughout my room. It was Min Yu's. And she was...crying? "I'm sorry for everything that had happened a while ago. Sorry for the things I've said. I was stupid. I was out of my mind. I was crazy for breaking up with you."

Then I realized it wasn't for me. It was for Chunji. But instead of answering it and telling her it was me, I decided to sit and just listen to what she has to say.

"It's because of you that I'm drinking right now. And partly because of Donghae. He broke his promise to me, but I know I have no right to be angry and sulk about it. I should mind my own business and not dig up on other people's lives. I probably can't go to work tomorrow, cause by then I'd be hungover. I'm already on my second bottle, and I want to talk to you so badly." she stopped and continued crying.

Why is she drinking? Is she mad? Her parents never drink, and we never let anyone in the dorm drink in front of her. She really must be lonely to want to drink and get drunk.

"I went to Donghae today. And you have no more reason to be jealous of him, because he already has a girlfriend," she said and continued crying. I wanted to run to her apartment and just talk to her and explain that I only liked Yoona, but never love her.

"He already has a girlfriend," she repeated, and it made me want to break up with Yoona as soon as possible.

I heard her take another swig of alcohol. "And she's a good cook. Can you imagine that? Maybe that's why Donghae doesn't visit me anymore, because I only make him ramen." It wasn't true. I could live with her and eat ramen all my life and it wouldn't mean a thing.

"But you, you stick with my microwave skills," she giggled lightly. "I'm dying to talk to you again, Chunji. I miss you already. Please take me back. I'm begging you. I was stupid, dumb, an idiot, call me whatever you want. I'm being selfish, I know."

"I want you to yell and scold me all you want, but I'm sorry and I can't take it if we don't talk. It doesn't matter if you forgive me or not. I just want you to know that I'm not better off without you. You were right and I was wrong. I was wrong in every way and all I want is to have you back," she desperately said, swallowing her pride with every word.

And the voicemail ended there. Min Yu was right in everything she said. She always was. I wanted to keep the voicemail, so it would never reach Chunji. So they wouldn't have to get back together. So she'd still go after me. But I already had a girlfriend.

I wanted to go to her house and scold her endlessly about drinking alcohol. I want to go there and hold her, ebrace her while she cries, to comfrot her and tell her that everything would be alright.

I laid down in bed and cried bitter tears. Fate had been brutal to me...to us. It never gave us the time to be together. When I was single, she had Chunji. Now that she was free, I was attached to Yoona. Unfair game. Everyone lost. Everyone got hurt. It's a painful game, like a russian roulette to my heart.

It was raining again. The loud downfall sounded against my windowpane. Min Yu has let herself get wet again. I want to tell her to get changed because she'd get sick, but I can't.

She would only ask me why I broke my promise, my promise that I won't look for a girlfriend. Yes, I didn't look. I got one. I stood up and grabbed my phone. I unlocked the screen and forwarded the voicemail to Chunji.

I sighed and plopped back down on my bed. Next morning, they'd be back together. She won't be so alone. I won't be chasing after her. I have Yoona. But Chunji doesn't hold Min Yu's heart. The same way Yoona doesn't hold mine. It already belonged  to someone else.

At Teen Top's dorm...

Chunji's POV

"Hyung..." Ricky disturbed my thoughts. "What?" I asked him while finding a comfortable spot in my bed. "What happened?" Niel finished Ricky's question as he popped on the side of the other bed Ricky was sitting on. "Move," Niel pushed Ricky aside as he rolled on the bed, which wasn't a good idea since Ricky's head hit the wooden furniture.

"OW! You could have just asked rather than pushing me you know!" Ricky shouted in despair. I was about to stop them when my phone beeped once. I looked at the sender and surprise was written all over my face. Why would Donghae hyung send me a voice mail? I guess this is important.

I went outside the balcony of our dorm so that I could have some privacy. I pressed the button and suddenly...

"Hey," the voicemail said. Wait. That voice. Don't tell me...it's Min Yu?

"I'm sorry for everything that had happened a while ago. Sorry for the things I've said. I was stupid. I was out of my mind. I was crazy for breaking up with you."

The voicemail continued as I listened to every word Min Yu had said, tears threatening to fall down my face. "I'm sorry, too. I've been stupid. I shoudn't have said that to you," I said to myself as the voicemail ended. Tears are all over my face. I made a wrong move, too. I never knew it was this hard breaking up with the person I love.

"Does that mean...Min Yu's really mine now?" I asked myself, being a lunatic. "Well, duh, isn't it obvious enough? You already found the girl you love and you suddenly let her get away. If I had the chance, I would never let her leave my side ever again," someone said from behind. I turned around, it was L.Joe.

~Annyeong! ^^ we would really appreciate it if you comment...it's been very silent...*cricket cricket* at least tell us what you think of it ☺