Waiting

Dear Donghae

 Comfort Song - Jung Yong Hwa

Narrator's POV

Day 186

"Where do you think you're going, Ms. Park?" asked the curious professor. He eyed her ruefully behind his wire-rimmed glasses, and his question sparked interest in the other students' eyes as they, too, glanced her way. Min Yu quickly slung the backpack over her shoulder, books clutched in one hand. She looked panic-stricken. "There's an emergency."

Expressing sincere regret, she spun on the balls of her feet and turned to leave. "So sorry." Min Yu dashed out the door hurriedly, as if each tick of the hands of the clock reminded her of wasted seconds. Her feet descended the stairs in haste, replaying in her mind again and again the previous text message she has received.

It instructed her to go, as fast as she can, to SME. If it was just some request from another person, Min Yu wouldn't have taken notice. She probably would have deleted it from her inbox. She wouldn't even give as much as a reply in return. But Donghae's name made all the difference. Min Yu jogged past security guards while flashing her ID in one go.

Out of the campus and into the busy streets she weaved, trying her best not to bump against other people who might be in the way. The soles of her favorite black sneakers skidded against the asphalt ground, almost being burnt in friction whenever Min Yu would make a sudden shift in direction, dashing all the way to the said building.

Each step took its toll on her, slowly but steadily. Her lungs burned for more oxygen and cramps began to ripple from her lower regions, not that she took much notice. Min Yu wanted so eagerly to see Donghae again, and though Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun had confronted her about it, her ears had long been deaf and herself too stubborn.

More than once, she had tripped through her own fault, stepping over her loose shoelaces or perhaps because her feet were starting to give up on her. After falling down the cement, Min Yu got back on her feet again, her mind too occupied with questions that needed answers. But whatever the reason was, she was mostly anticipating to see him again.

Panting and exhausted, she stumbled through the building's glass doors and didn't bother greeting the receptionist as she had always done before. Min Yu saw a vacant elevator in the corner of her eye, but the shaft soon closed its doors before she could even enter. Sighing in defeat, the girl pressed the button repeatedly, as if it would make the travel faster.

Once the doors opened, Min Yu darted in, pressed the number of her destination, and proceeded to tap her foot impatiently -- all in thirty seconds. Luckily enough, she had time to take a breather and calm herself down, though her heart wavered like crazy in anticipation. Her leg muscles threatened to rip apart in pain, but she hoped everything would be worth it in the end. Hopefully.

Sweat trickled down her face and neck after the shaft opened with a loud sound. Min Yu advanced to the practice room especially for the group's rehearsals. Super Junior had contributed to the company's profit for many years, after all. Her knocks were brief and determined against the door before she yanked the knob open.

But before she could even step inside, Min Yu knew she wouldn't be allowed further inside. "What are you doing here?" demanded Donghae loudly as he eyed her from head to toe. He seemed disappointed to see her, despite the fact that just the sight of him won't fail to send shivers through her love sick bloodstream. She wanted to reach out and touch his face. Oh how she had missed how it felt like to hold him...

"I-I thought there w-was an e-emergency," replied Min Yu fearfully. From behind, she could see Sun Hye fumbling and toying with Donghae's phone, and she nodded to herself in sudden realization. Siwon came running from inside and rushed to see her. "Hi~" he greeted, his hand literally in front of her face as he waved. Min Yu smiled, but kept her gaze fixed on the floor in guilt.

Eunhyuk, from where he is, could hear the commotion outside. He only needed to his head on one corner of the room to understand what was happening. "Why don't you co--" he was about to invite her in. "We're busy practicing," interrupted Donghae, cutting him off in midsentence. "B-but I thought you w-wanted me t-to--" stammered Min Yu. "No," he declined defiantly. "I don't need you here."

The girl, suddenly saddened at her efforts gone down the drain with a snap of his finger, bowed her head low. "Mianhae." She advanced to leave, all the while limping ever so slightly. "Ya," Siwon nudged Donghae as they both watched her leave. "She probably skipped school for you. You know quite well how she takes her studies seriously," he continued with a hint of scolding.

Min Yu chewed on her fingernails as she walked away, wondering what was so wrong with her manner of walking. She looked down and noticed her ripped jeans, revealing her bleeding knee. Her eyes were unfocused even while descending the stairs in slow motion, taking her time by the staircase. "I think a girl would fall for my deep voice, like when I tell her I love her, she would swoon over me," said a voice from below.

"What about my eye smile, huh?" protested Baekhyun loudly, trying not to get so intimidated about Chanyeol's manly voice and boasting his own capabilities and potentials. "You think I don't get chased by girls all day with this?" His finger menacingly gestured to his perfect almond eyes. "Aish, you two..." sighed Kai as he grew impatient at his hyungs' slow pace up the stairs.

The dancer took each step as a burden as he listened to the two bickering members. What was so bothering about physical traits anyway? He asked himself silently. One foot ahead of the other in a rhythmic pattern which brought him closer to the silence that he treated his salvation at the moment, Kai shook the worry warts away and tossed his head back with a sigh to match.

The girl holding onto the railing for dear life as she limped down with quivering lips and glassy eyes caught his eye. Kai stood frozen and immobile in his tracks while the two bantering men in front of him acted instinctively to approach her. "I didn't know you were here!" exclaimed Chanyeol enthusiastically. Min Yu smiled weakly as a greeting.

"I can help you with that~" offered Baekhyun while he volunteered to carry the two books she was holding. The singer, noticing how Kai seemed to become a cold statue, hit his chest using the books. "Ya," scolded Baekhyun. "It's your playmate. You always grumbled about wanting to see her, right? Well, she's here now and right in front of yo--"

"Why are you bleeding?" asked the curious Chanyeol. Kai and Baekhyun, snapping out of their private conversation, had the blood back in their veins as the two rushed to where she was. "Oh this?" Min Yu's torso dipped down while inspecting the rip in her jeans, as belittled as her self-worth. Angry red scratches together with droplets of blood didn't bother her in the least bit.

Baekhyun got on his knees and raised a finger to the wound, observing it closely. Min Yu's whole body tensed at the sudden jolt of pain coursing in her and though she had bit on her lip to prevent from complaining, she couldn't hide it from Kai's stare. "What happened?" he asked, but no matter what eye contact he tries to lock her in, nothing seems to work.

She only shook her head from side to side as a response. "I'm fine." The overused response was getting way out of hand and the more it was said, the more it sounded unconvincing. Her phone, as if on cue, went off and began ringing loudly. Full of hope, Min Yu accepted the incoming call and pressed the phone against her ear.

"Min Yu." Hearing his voice, Min Yu felt suddenly lightheaded. It was just Donghae's voice, what more if she sees him again? Would her heart beat a thousand times a minute, then? "Yes?" she answered, her eyes brightening up in high expectations without any doubt in the back of her mind that maybe -- just maybe -- she would get disappointed. Again.

Donghae, meanwhile, fought the urge to hang up the phone. His jaws were clenched tight as he talked through gritted teeth. "Do you want to see me?" he asked hesitantly, as if the words were badly rehearsed. It took a lot of effort for the girl not to burst into a majestic firework, as her heart was like a bird's wings fluttering rapidly.

"Of course." The girl felt like she was on cloud nine. "Then wait for me outside," said Donghae in a stern tone with a thick edge of authority. Without another word -- and though Min Yu opened to say something more -- Donghae already hung up, his balled fist almost crushing his phone into tiny little pieces. "Are you happy now?" He turned to Eunhyuk before marching away.

"Where are you going?" demanded Chanyeol over the sound of light footsteps scurrying up the flight of steps. It was as if her every movement didn't stretch the skin over her wounds, adding more to her pain. But she didn't mind. In fact, due to her excitement, she had already forgotten the EXO-K member's unanswered questions, leaving them hanging.

Siwon's POV

"I-is he tired already?" asked Min Yu hesitantly as she was calmly seated by the bench outside the room. Taking the seat beside her, I only nodded as a response before wiping the sweat from my forehead with a towel. She smiled to herself curtly. "He's a hard worker. It's not quite obvious, but he is." She handed me a bottle of mineral water with moisture thick on the surface.

I can't help but praise the Lord as the cold liquid ran down my throat in copious amounts. It was those little moments when I realize that there was still a God, after all. She smiled to herself cutely that I just had to mess with her hair. "Aren't you supposed to be somewhere more important instead of sitting out here for what--" I stole a quick glance on my wrist watch. "The last three hours? Why don't you go home instead?"

Her obviously heavy-lidded eyes moved slower with every blink as I followed her gaze out the glass wall overlooking outside. "I really want to see him." Min Yu puffed her cheeks with air and blew. At first glance, she was still Min Yu -- young, carefree, and stubborn about many things. But there's already a strange edge to it. "Aren't you tired?" I asked.

Physical exhaustion was evident -- the lack of sleep, the frail figure, the unstable stance. To my surprise, it seems like she has understood what I had wanted to hear, though Min Yu didn't give any hints. "Does your God punish people who feel like giving up so easily?" The soft eyelashes brush against her soft cheeks with every blink. She scratched her eyes sleepily, as if it would drive the grogginess away.

I smiled to myself. "There's a huge difference between giving up and knowing you have had enough." I tilted my head to the side to watch her expression. She might not know it, but I have heard of her issues the past few weeks from concerned people -- also known as Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun. From what I can conclude, it's not right anymore. "How lucky am I to have someone that makes giving up so hard to do," she muttered softly.

She let out a forced chuckle and nudged me lightly, attempting to change the topic. "Go back to work, Shisus." I bantered with her a little bit more before standing up to go back. "Don't you want to go inside?" I invited, hoping to ease a little of her pain. Even just hearing the sadness in her voice was enough to crumble the edges of my heart. How could Donghae listen to this everyday without doing anything?

"He won't want me there," she smiled and urged me on. I stared back at her questioningly, challenging to see if she would change her mind. But she only shook her head no. My hand pushed the door open to enter, somehow not wanting to leave. Min Yu resumed her lonesome position alone on the bench, wallowing in solitude and silence.

The cold air of the practice room hit me immediately after I closed the door behind me. Everything and everyone was where I had left them. Eunhyuk was still standing by the mirror, panting heavily after much rehearsal. Kyuhyun had the latest console in his hands, concentrated like a grandmother threading a needle. Sungmin and Ryeowook sat side by side across Leeteuk. And Donghae was much preoccupied whilst chatting with Sun Hye.

It was just five in the afternoon, and we still had a long stretch of hours to go. Min Yu and I have no blood relation whatsoever, nor were we dating. But knowing my own friend whom I already considered a brother was the one causing her sadness, it somehow makes me want to shoot him in the face. Feeling all helpless -- not to mention useless -- makes me want to shoot myself, too. God help me.

Min Yu's POV

Dear Donghae,

How have you been? I haven't talked to you for days. And I don't think you count exchanging "hi" and "hello" as decent conversations. But I understand. I'm the eager one here, the one who waits endlessly for messages from you -- because if I make the first move, I'll become annoying to you -- the one who stays up at night waiting for you. It's not the same without you around, and just so you know, it actually kills me when we don't talk.

All I really want now is for you to notice me like you used to. For you to give me surprise visits like you used to. For you to ask if I'm already home like you used to. In fact, I'm dying to touch your face, to place senseless bets with kisses as the payment, to hold your hand as we walk, to hug you very tight, to fall asleep beside you like I used to. It'd be nice.

What could you be doing right now? Truthfully, whatever it is, it makes me think that you're doing something much worth of your time than seeing and being with me. But I won't blame you. I don't quite remember how hard I tried to be what you needed. And in fact, it's been a hundred and eighty six days, yet I still remember what you had told me on day one.

I don't want to hear you say you love me. I want to feel it instead. Don't you remember the reason why you loved me before? And please let it strengthen me because I can't afford to be any weaker than I already am. I don't care if I have to wait for 5 hours or a whole night, I just want to see you. I understand -- as much as I can -- that you want to spend time with Sun Hye and it actually pains me to know that.

Everyone must think I'm crazy or perhaps stupid for forgiving, missing, and still wanting you. We might not see, talk, and be with each other as often as we used to, but I'd still put you as my priority, and love you even if you give me every reason not to. It can even be a one-sided relationship and I wouldn't have given a damn.

The air is dry out here and the sun is beginning to set, yet I remember every word you had said before. Have you really changed this time? I miss the old you. And though Siwon seems to be pressing me to go home instead, I'll wait for you here outside until you finish. I want to see you. I could fall on my knees and beg if that's the only way.

Narrator's POV

"I'd have to cook, wash the dishes, and do the laundry later at home. The cleaner said she won't be able to come. Aigoo~" sighed Ryeowook as he counted his fingers with each chore he was supposed to do, not that he was obliged to but because if he didn't, who else would? Following right behind him was Sungmin, who fought hard to keep his tired eyes open as they walked.

Siwon let out a long, exhausted yawn. All he wanted right now -- together with the other members -- was to hit the sack and sleep soundly. It was already one in the morning and Super Junior has just finished rehearsing. It was pretty fortunate for them to have the chance to sleep, unlike before when they would have to stay awake for three straight days just for practicing.

The long hallway was dim-lit, however, and didn't match quite well with their too-eager-to-close eyes. And as a result, Siwon almost fell face first on the smooth floor. It wasn't that his shoelaces were untied -- he was wearing loafers, for heavens' sake. The tripping was due to an obstacle, which were legs sprawled across the floor, almost blocking the entire width of the corridor.

"What the...?" Kyuhyun shifted his gaze away from the screen of his console as his eyes narrowed at a dark figure by the bench. The rest of the group stopped, suddenly alert and awake, while Siwon stooped low to brush the hair away from Min Yu's face. The torn denim by her legs caught his attention, and he inspected the wound closely, careful not to touch it.

He encircled his arm around her frail shoulders while the other embraced her knees, pressing her close to him as he endured the added weight. Eunhyuk volunteered to carry the bag she has left behind by the floor, not without flashing Donghae an it's-all-your-fault glare. The latter didn't seem to care though, but he had a worried look on his face.

Kyuhyun marched ahead, outpacing the others who eyed Donghae like a suspect caught in the act. It was all his fault, anyway. Siwon hurriedly yet gently descended the stairs so as not to cause the sleeping girl to stir. Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk exchanged fiery glances, as if checking to see if they were feeling the same way.

Super Junior's dancing machine offered to open the door to the passenger seat for Siwon and Min Yu, and proceeded to sit right behind them. The other members entered the vehicle one by one in silence, knowing the ever-present tension was about to erupt. "Next time, don't take advantage of her yearning to see you," scolded Siwon with an air of maturity, even though Donghae was older than him.

"I've been overly tolerant of you, Lee Donghae, but I know what's really happening. I'll rant on it later on when I wake up," sighed Heechul before closing his eyes and finally drifting off to sleep. "I told her to wait for me, but I didn't know she was going to wait this long!" defended Donghae angrily. Sun Hye ran her hand up and down his arm in comfort, but Kyuhyun pointed his finger menacingly at her. "JUST. TRY."

The woman was shunned and let her hand fall to her lap where it rightfully belonged. Kyuhyun would have flashed his signature evil smirk, but right now wasn't the time for games, so he kept his face stern and serious. "11 HOURS, Donghae. ELEVEN. FREAKING. HOURS. DON'T YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH OF A WASTE THAT IS?!" Eunhyuk shrieked.

"SHE COULD HAVE LEFT INSTEAD!" Donghae snapped back. "BUT YOU PULLED THE DAMN DO-YOU-WANT-TO-SEE-ME CARD! OF COURSE SHE'LL DO WHATEVER YOU WANT!" This time, it was Kyuhyun's turn to yell. "Don't you dare talk back at me like that!" Donghae tensed in his seat and leaned closer to Kyuhyun. "What, are you going to fight me off for caring for your girlfriend? Oh wait, I get confused between who your girlfriend is because OBVIOUSLY, you treat Sun Hye better than you treat Min Yu!" Kyuhyun shouted through gritted teeth.

Siwon pressed a finger up to his lips, shushing the bickering members behind. He gazed upon Min Yu, who was still sleeping comfortably. Yesung held onto Eunhyuk, trying his best to calm him down while Sungmin did the same to Kyuhyun. Ryeowook was busily wiping away his own tears as he witnessed the commotion. No one in the group, however, paid attention to Donghae.

The ride on the way back to the dorm was silent, and they were glad Leeteuk had volunteered to leave earlier than usual, or else he might have left Donghae half-dead on the street for what he did to Min Yu. When the group arrived, Siwon laid the girl gently on his bed while Sungmin, having enough knowledge about taking care of wounds, took over.

Min Yu cringed even in her slumber while Sungmin dabbed a ball of cotton over her knee. "What?" demanded Siwon as he eyed Donghae by the door. The other had his arms crossed over his chest, his whole body leaning against the door frame. "Where will she sleep? Don't tell me she'll sleep here," stated Donghae almost like a complain.

"Why, will you look after her if she sleeps beside you?" Sungmin raised his eyebrow questioningly. Not knowing how to answer, Donghae left without another word. And, as if on cue, a drop of tear rolled down the side of Min Yu's face. "Some guys just don't know how even just a word can hurt a girl," Sungmin let out an exasperated sigh while wiping the tear away.

"Let me tell you this for when you have a girlfriend of your own," he turned to Siwon, who pulled his shirt over his head and replaced it with a fresh one from his closet. "The only two times a guy should hurt a girl is when he makes her laugh so hard until her stomach aches, and when he is embracing her too tightly." He stood up from where he was seated on the floor and planted a kiss on the girl's forehead before leaving.

~Annyeong ^^ comments are appreciated :) -min_neulmi