The Reconciliation

Dear Donghae

Hit Me - SHINee

Narrator's POV

"Sssh, stop now," comforted Heechul, trying his best to drown out the girl's noise as she sobbed against his chest. The smooth acceleration of the vehicle was but a gentle tremor under their feet. It had been less than five minutes since they all had left the dorm riding two different cars. Min Yu, after running down the stairs as she left Donghae alone in the room, ran into Heechul, and she had stuck with him since then.

The man heaved his hand up and down her forearm even though he knew it wouldn't be of any help at all. When the other van containing almost half of the group caught up with theirs, Heechul made sure to lock gazes with Donghae, who was sitting beside Sun Hye on the passenger seat. His pupil dilated at the younger’s sight, and his whole being ached to give him a rightful punch.

Eunhyuk shifted uncomfortably in his seat and let his eyes wander at the wide variety of stores outside his window. "Who wants ice cream? If majority wins, we will go out for ice cream and it's my treat~" he declared whimsically, to which Kyuhyun and Siwon raised their right hands. The dancer checked Min Yu's expression from the corner of his eye. Noticing how she didn't raise her hand, "Too bad." He puffed his cheeks with air and blew. "No ice cream for us, then."

Heechul, in turn, fought back a growl forming deep in his chest. Min Yu could feel all his muscles tensing in recoil. "Heechul-ah," she whined, earning her the other's sudden self-control, which was unusual for the diva. She was the only person who could do the impossible: call him without honorifics and order him around -- except if he really wanted to. If the other members dared, they would have had their heads chopped off long ago.

Siwon, who maneuvered the car carefully as he came to a halt in front of the red light, turned back to look at her sitting by the back seat. "Okay, I'm done with not knowing. What did he do again?" he asked. Min Yu's balled up fists rubbed at her eyes harshly. Her lips trembled before she could even speak, but she fought back the surging tears. "I don't think he loves me anymore."

Kyuhyun's clenched knuckles hit the leather seat soundly, his hand threatening to break through. For about a few minutes, no one uttered a single word, not even a grumble. Heechul repeatedly let out sighs with multiple meanings. Eunhyuk stared sternly at the road ahead, and Siwon busied himself with driving. Kyuhyun, however, was the first to break the silence.

"Darn it, it took you that long to notice?" he screeched with a hint of scolding. The girl's sobbing sounded excruciatingly pained, what with her shoulders shaking violently in accordance to her weeping. Heechul slumped back on his seat, wound his arm around her, and pulled Min Yu close to him. "Stop crying," he mumbled for the nth time, giving Kyuhyun a nudge with a knowing glare to match.

The maknae rested his elbow on his lap and closed his eyes to rest, possibly preparing for his upcoming outburst. The vehicle was up to par with the other, Yesung purposely driving on the lane next to them. Without her knowing, Donghae stared back, almost helplessly, as Min Yu cried. She also still didn't know why Heechul had brought her along with them to one of their TV appearances.

The car ride was somewhat awful, with Eunhyuk clawing on his seat with Min Yu's every whimper, Kyuhyun consulting his inner demons and racking his brain for more possibilities, and Siwon gesturing the sign of the cross for almost a hundred times, calling out to the God his parents brought him up to exalt and recognize. Only Heechul reacted indifferently, occasionally muttering nothings that were meant to be reminders for Min Yu.

Soon enough, the journey from their dorm to the company building is over. They all headed through the glass doors, past the lobby, and into the vacant elevators. The deafening silence was ringing in their ears, making it almost intolerable. The doors opened with a loud sound and out they went. The rest of the group has already started rehearsing, but as the members entered, Min Yu instinctively stopped by the bench and sat.

Siwon exhaled loudly as the cold air of the practice room, together with strange looks from Donghae, welcomed them. "Where is she, hyung?" He had a puppy dog look in his eyes, but Heechul shoved his face away with his hand. "I'm not in the mood to talk to you right now. I might just ram my fist down your throat and rip your intestines apart."

The younger stumbled back and sank on a vacant seat. Donghae knocked a bottle of water over, making it tumble on the floor, but he didn't bother picking it up. Another hand caught the plastic bottle while it rolled next to his own feet. With a grave expression, Kyuhyun has already gathered all his courage to speak up to him, and the maknae sat on the space beside his hyung.

"Give her to me, hyung," mumbled Kyuhyun softly. The older looked up and threw him a shocked glance. "What are you talking about?" he demanded quite confusedly.

"Min Yu. Give Min Yu to me instead," clarified Kyuhyun as he stared out into the open space of the spacious room they were both in.

"What? WHY?! NO!" exclaimed Donghae loudly, earning the others' attention. Sun Hye was about to approach the two of them, but one look from the maknae made her freeze in her stance.

"Oh come on!" Kyuhyun shifted in his seat to face him directly. "You're making her life difficult, and it's not like the rest of us are complaining about having to look after her because in reality, we even like taking care of Min Yu. It's just that YOU, of all the people, should be the first to take responsibility of her and yet you act like you're disgusted of her or something. So give her to me instead."

"I won't!" protested Donghae with conviction. "She's MY girlfriend. Don't you know what that word means? She's mine. If we ever have a problem, the two of us would talk it out. The two of us means that it excludes you, it doesn't include her father, nor her mother, or anyone else. Just the two of us."

"Well, is it you who stays up late at night just to make sure she won't cry again? Did you ever realize how soundless she sobs and how her eyes look so red and sore afterwards? Have you ever been so concerned at a simple, darn scrape on her knee and have you ever been so afraid it will get infected? I bet you never really knew how her cooking has improved because of all the dinners you have 'promised' to share with her! Do you? DO YOU?" Kyuhyun's eyes were as wide as his mouth as he talked.

Donghae blinked back at the other member's words, and he gulped down the lump forming in his throat. "Yeah, the hyungs don't just talk about it with you around, but it's true, not that you were ever concerned enough to notice. You're the best boyfriend, alright," added Kyuhyun sarcastically. "So, when are you planning to leave her? Let me know so I can somehow fill up the position you'll leave vacant."

The man had his tears b and he began sniffling as he opened his mouth to say something. "Oh no, no need for you to explain yourself. Or are you going to promise that you aren't going to do it again? Yeah right. You'll only get away with it one more time because she'll be too cunning, but I know better. WE know better," Kyuhyun cut him off.

Feeling guilty, Donghae buried his face in his hand in remorse. As if it wasn't excruciating enough, Kyuhyun went on. "I already asked Chunji to somehow reconsider and take her back. Any way you look at it, you can't blame me. All girls need someone to love them. Min Yu's a real keeper, though, but since you don't seem to know her worth, she's better off with someone else. Someone other than you."

"So you're saying I'm a bad person." When Donghae looked up, his eyes were red at the edges.

Kyuhyun shook his head. "All I'm saying is you're the worst kind of person I've ever known. I used to look up to you because you're a hard worker. You're talented and everything. I just don't understand what's been happening to you."

"Psh," snorted Donghae. "As if you're any better than me."

"It's not that." Kyuhyun stretched his arms out in front of him and rotated his head from left to right. "I know I'm no good either. I spend almost my whole day working, and when I do have hours to spare, I waste it in front of the computer. But see here," he rubbed the back of his neck. "If ever I have a girlfriend, she'll be my princess. I'll give her the best of me, and I'll make sure not to make her feel like she's just a waste of time, even if I don't even have a minute to spare for myself."

"She could have just told me I'm wrong, and that I've been the one with the fault the whole time," said Donghae.

"She just wished for you to change her, perhaps into something better than she already was." The maknae his chin thoughtfully. "And you changed her, alright. She might get too tired soon and Min Yu will leave you. Isn't that grand, hyung? Kudos to you."

Donghae felt like banging his head against the concrete wall. "Do you think she'll still forgive me?"

"Damn it, you're that stupid, aren't you? She's just waiting for you outside. Unlike some, Min Yu's heart was similar to a secret garden and the walls were very high. Yet you get to her so easily. Effortlessly." Kyuhyun added.

Cupping either side of his face, Donghae covered his tear-strewn and flustered cheeks. "So?"

The maknae shook his head slightly before standing up. "Don't stop doing the things that made her fall for you, even if she's yours already." Then, Kyuhyun began walking away. "Ya," Donghae called out, making the younger come to a halt. "You won't be able to take her away from me. I won't allow it ever," he stated defiantly.

"Well," Kyuhyun turned around to face him. "The next time she comes crying to anyone again, I won't ask permission anymore. And if she voluntarily leaves, don't me I didn't warn you."

--

She didn't notice the slightest bit when he opened the door and settled in comfortably beside her. "Hi best friend~" he greeted. It was obvious she had been crying at that time, but she quickly wiped the tears away. "Why are you crying?" he pressed, although the man already knew what the reason was, even if she won't answer.

"S-some people..."

"It's your boyfriend, isn't it?" He cut her off.

Though slyly, she nodded. "He's mad again, and I'm thinking it's because he saw me today. I know I shouldn't have stayed there, but I was drunk and I couldn't have done anything about it."

"From what I can say, he's been a huge jerk lately. A stupid, idiotic, foolish, careless jerk. Don't you..." He stopped in midsentence as he tried his best not to cry in front of her. "Don't you, by any chance, think of leaving him? Obviously, there are a lot of guys out there who are smarter and all."

Min Yu smiled and shook her head no this time. "Actually, I promised him I won't leave."

Chewing on her lower lip, she turned to him to avoid any more questions. "What about you? How has your girlfriend been?" she pressed, wondering when the last time was when they had talked.

"I just realized that I miss her a lot," he nodded to himself, as if agreeing with his own words.

"She misses you too," commented the girl.

"But I bet she despises me right now, you know, after how I acted like the taker in the supposed-to-be give and take kind of thing. Take. Take. Take. Take. Take. That's all I do, and I never give anything in return."

She shrugged. "That's not really how it goes. As long as you have something to give, why won't you?"

"Because I'm the dumbest, worst kind of person."

The girl had a small smile painted across her lips. "She just wants you to talk to her first. Perhaps she worries about annoying you or something."

"I'm pregnant," declared Donghae.

Min Yu threw him a strange look. "WHAT?"

"Oh, I thought we were just listing down things that are impossible," he chuckled to himself, earning him a light punch on the shoulder. "How can you be so patient with me-- I mean, him?" he demanded next.

His hand crept up next to hers as he treaded their fingers together. When was the last time he had held her hand like this? "For the past few days, I'm just waiting for the time when he would tell me it's over, that I'm of no use to him anymore -- as if he ever needed me. But if ever he does say so, that's the only time I'll walk away," she admitted.

His grip on her hand tightened. He leaned forward and rested his lips on her cheek. "Don't leave me." His eyes were shut tight while she, in turn, could feel his hot tears against her skin. And again, Donghae wondered when the last time was when he had been this close to her. "Don't leave me, best friend. I'll be lonely, and I'll miss you terribly."

Min Yu lifted her free hand up to her eyes. "I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"Because I'm not what you wanted," she confessed, fighting the urge to choke on her own words as she wept silently. It was the thing that had been bothering her for the last few nights as she fell asleep with a heavy heart, wondering what was missing in her. "I'm sorry," Donghae mumbled repeatedly as he kissed away her tears he had caused himself.

"I love you," he muttered close to her ear, to which a lone tear escaped her eye as she smiled. "What was that for?" demanded Donghae. "I haven't heard that one for so long."

--

"Is it like, you really REALLY love him or you just love him?" greeted Chanyeol with his chin nestled upon his propped up palm at an attempt for a girl-to-girl conversation. "It's the kind of love where she wants to punch him in the face," joked Kai, to which Min Yu just chuckled lightly. "Yeollie, you don't make any sense and that makes me sad," pouted Baekhyun.

Chanyeol immediately fixed his composure. "Okay, I'll start making sense now," he muttered to himself with renewed confidence. "So what, you two are A-okay again?" interrogated Suho as he sipped from a water bottle. "Kind of...I guess?" Min Yu scratched the back of head awkwardly, clearly not knowing how to explain it.

"Story! Story! Story! Story!" cheered Sehun loudly, urging her to go on.

"I don't know what story I'm about to tell," said the girl in defense.

D.O came out of nowhere and slung his arm lazily over Suho's shoulder. "What about your sister? I've only seen her once before." He gained a few nods of agreement with a handful of the members, but Sehun stomped his feet angrily. "No! You and Donghae! I want to hear!" he whined like a five year old.

"But it's a long story," the girl scrunched her eyes sleepily.

"Pleeeeeaaasssseee?" The lad pleaded, his lips puckering up.

"No."

"Pretty pleeeaaaase? I don't know what this guy is talking about, but I'll join in anyway." Luhan's head popped up from behind.

"I don't wanna," Min Yu shook her head as she declined.

"Please, Min Yu? Pleeeaaasssee?" begged the group's maknae with his hands clasped together in plea.

"I told you! It's a long story."

"Even just a summary, then?" bargained Luhan.

"No. And will you two please stop it? Or else I'll punch you both right in the guts," threatened the girl. Sehun, suddenly remembering Kai's previous statement, had his eyes widening like saucers as he rushed up to Min Yu to give her a suffocating hug. "Oh really? I love you too!" he exclaimed joyously, to which the others just facepalmed themselves and walked away to hide their shame.

~Short update, exams are done! ☺ anyway, please leave comments below ♥