Chapter 96

Dear Donghae

No Other - Super Junior

Narrator's POV

Donghae took a sharp break as a vehicle went past behind their car. "Why don't you let me drive instead?" Min Yu suggested, trying her best not to smile. "Ouch. That had hurt my driving ego," he countered, pretending to breathe in painfully. "I don't know. I just think I'm a better driver than you are even if I have this gauze thing around my eyes," she said.

"When are they going to take it off, anyways?" he asked curiously, maneuvering the car into the busy highway. She shrugged indifferently. "Tomorrow...maybe." And with a wide smile, he reached out to grasp her hand. Somehow magically, his brightness outshined through the darkness in her eyes. "How's he doing at home?" she asked curiously.

"Our Bada~" Donghae sang in response. "I took tens of thousands of pictures of him already and I wanted to show them to you but...you know," he muttered, referring to her being newly operated from the night blindness. "Yeah, but I'll be able to see him tomorrow. So go on." Min Yu urged him to continue, unable to contain her excitement.

"Well, he gets hungry every second, that's for sure," he started, to which Min Yu fidgeted with the hems of the shirt she had received as a going-away present two years ago. "He drinks a lot, and I think he got that from you. The only difference is that he drinks milk, which will be good for him, and you drink coffee, which makes you grumpy." And with that, the girl hit his arm lightly.

"And when the ahjumma is not around, I lie down beside him and watch him sleep," Donghae stated confidently. Min Yu appreciated how well he looked after their child. She was about to feel for his face and kiss him, but he continued. "...and then I poke him just until he cries and wakes up so I make sure he isn't dead." Min Yu scowled. "YOU WHAT?"

"DON'T BLAME ME!" he yelled in defense. "I do that to you too sometimes because you have your eyes closed when you sleep and you look dead," he stated as-a-matter-of-factly. "Everyone has their eyes closed when they sleep, Donghae." Min Yu shook her head disapprovingly. "I know, that's why instead of poking me, you kiss me instead," he mumbled inaudibly.

"And did you see his face that day before your mom and I took him home?" he asked, gripping her hand tighter and tracing her wrist with his thumb. "Yeah?" Min Yu shifted backwards in her seat and settled in much more comfortably. "Well, his cheeks grew fatter and fluffier, and I guess that's where all the tteokbokki you ate before went."

"Oh! And have I told you that the color blue suits him really well?" he continued. "H-have..." Min Yu stammered for a few seconds. "Have you held him already?" she asked softly, the longing evident in her tone. "I did, actually. The ahjumma taught me how to do it," Donghae trailed off, watching closely as she tried to contain her emotions.

She shifted restlessly on her seat despite having the seatbelt constrict her movements. "How did it feel? Did he open his eyes? Did he cry? Did he look at you? What did he do afterwards? Did he touch your face? Did you kiss him? Is his skin soft? Are his cheeks red? Have you seen his eyes? They're beautiful, Donghae." Min Yu placed her other hand atop his. "Our Bada is beautiful. And I wish I could see him."

This time, it was Donghae's turn to smile. And it was followed by his hand leaving hers, only to be wound around her waist instead. "You'll see him soon," he assured her, pressing him to his side and kissing the top of her head. "Has Min Young seen him yet?" she asked after a while. Donghae nodded. "She even held him. Then she fed him for a while before she and your mom left."

--

Ricky opened his mouth to greet them, but Donghae had already put a finger to his lips to keep him silent. And the man assisted the girl out of the car, making up for her sense of sight with his vows. "Are they here or do we have to wait some more?" Min Yu tilted her head to where she imagined Donghae to be standing.

"Wait, you have to guess who they are," Donghae muttered to her ear in response. She was about to open and complain, but Min Yu was already dragged to the line up front. CAP took her hands in his and let her feel his face. Tracing her fingers over the sharp features and the tall built, she smiled, before pulling him in her arms. "Ah, Minsoo~"

Then CAP, after being rocked to and fro in her embrace, led her to step sideward and feel for the next person. Min Yu, after having to run her hand across the soft skin, she shrieked in delight. "Our Jonghyun~" she exclaimed, hugging Changjo by the waist -- as his neck was far too high for her to reach in his impossible height.

The next one was easy, however. She only had to feel for the unbelievable width of the man's lips before ruffling his hair and holding him tight. "Our Daniel~" she mumbled, to which the Teen Top member laughed. "I don't know if that was an insult or a compliment but yeah, I missed you too," he chided, earning her laugh deservingly.

Min Yu moved on to the next, reaching out to feel for his face but ended up feeling for his hair -- to which, the man guided her hand elsewhere. The girl let her hand fall back to her side and smiled widely. She laughed, stepping forward and clasping her hands around L.Joe. "Our Byunghun~" she called out, resting her chin atop L.Joe's shoulder.

"Ya, Min Yu," Niel called out. "Move faster because there are people who are waiting in line!" he scolded, and the girl took it as the cue to push herself back and advance forward. She reached out, fingertips immediately landing on contours and inches she had known too well. Watching her slightly choke up, the man volunteered to embrace her first before she could. "Our Chanhee."

Her torso dipped backward, straining to feel much more to make up for what she couldn't see. After a while or so, she stepped back, fixing the hems of the shirt L.Joe had given her before they had left -- which she had promised to wear on the day of their release -- and maintaining composure. Then the man next to Chunji cleared his throat, wanting to be noticed.

"Ah, there's none more left. Thank goodness!" Min Yu exclaimed playfully. "So I guess you'll all be heading back to your dorms, yes? It must have been a tiring day..." she continued, causing Ricky to explode in his anger. "THAT'S SO UNFAIR! I WANT A HUG TOO!" he yelled furiously, causing him to be everyone's entertainment for the day.

"Of course, there's you, Changhyun~" Min Yu cooed, her hands grasping empty air just until Chunji led her to where Ricky was standing. She embraced him with the same intensity she has had after not seeing them for twenty four months. And she sighed, yearning for her vision for the nth time that day, possibly the millionth for the week.

"Suits you well," L.Joe complimented, hugging Min Yu by the waist and leading her to sit by the bench. "The blindness or the shirt?" she asked with a smirk. "Both," he muttered, causing them both to laugh. He stopped just in front of the seat and waited for her to sit down. "Byunghun, how can I make sure you're not going to pull the chair away?" she pressed knowingly.

He laughed, pushing the chair across the floor until it hit the back of her knees, assuring her it wasn't just a stupid prank. "Sorry we haven't had time to visit you. We didn't want to prolong our stay in this place," L.Joe explained. "It's fine. I was dead anyway," she mumbled almost inaudibly to herself. "What?" The Teen Top member cocked his ear to her direction. "Nothing."

Donghae's POV

"Oh don't cry, baby~" Kyuhyun cooed, his hand creeping its way to my shoulder. I cringed the child away before he gets awaken by the noise. "Stop it, Kyuhyun! He's not crying, so don't make him!" I scolded in a hushed tone, which made my head ache in anger. "Eh~ you invited me here early in the morning and then you won't even let me touch your son, Lee whatever-his-name-is," the maknae sighed and paced around the room curiously.

With a free hand, I made sure the top portion of my hair was still held together by a rubber band. "It's Bada, for your information," I stated as-a-matter-of-factly. "Then why am I here?" Kyuhyun whined, kicking and fussing around before collapsing on the bed. "Get off!" I kicked his feet off. "That's our bed!"

"Yeah right. I shouldn't be lying on your bed when no one knows what you two have done on there." Kyuhyun nursed his afflicted foot before getting up from the mattress. "Speaking of whom, where is Min Yu anyway?" he asked, advancing back towards my shoulder again to catch a glimpse of the sleeping baby in my arms.

"She's at the hospital to get the bandage thing off," I whispered as a response, and the world seemed to stand still when Bada moved the slightest inch to rub his eyes and yawn. "Give me that blanket, will you?" I requested softly, to which Kyuhyun blankly obliged. He seemed to be as awed as I was. I wrapped the child with the blanket to keep him warmer. Bada was, literally speaking, my bundle of joy.

After the added warmth, Bada cuddled closer and more comfortably to me in his sleep. "He's..." I started, at a loss for words. And I froze there, awed and amazed and everything at once and wondering as to how long it will take before I could possibly get used to this. "I know," Kyuhyun continued, eyes blinking as he, too, got in the innocent gravitational pull in the form of a week-old baby.

"Does he cry a lot?" Kyuhyun asked out of nowhere. I shook my head no. "I think he got that from Min Yu," I responded, rocking the baby a few more times before setting him down on his own crib. "My noona's first daughter didn't cry a lot too, and my mom said it's a good thing," he added, volunteering to surround the crib with pillows.

I rolled my sleeves up my shoulders as far as they can go. "Breakfast?" I turned to Kyuhyun, who could only nod. "Do you leave the door open or...?" he asked after exiting first. I gestured for him to leave it ajar. "You know my noona is working, right? When she's at work and her husband is left with the baby and the baby cries, he wears my sister's clothes. And you know what? The baby magically stops crying."

--

"Vision in high definition~" Min Yu greeted that afternoon as soon as Kyuhyun opened the front door. And the maknae threw himself at her. "Oh Min Yu, thank goodness you're here! Donghae has been bugging me for the last hour to keep my feet up!" he complained. "I was vacuuming!" I defended, shouting from the living room. "And what did you just call me?"

"I'm out of here." The door slammed close and clicked locked. And before I knew it, Kyuhyun was out of my sight. Min Yu plopped down beside me on the sofa. "But really, though, I meant it when I said my vision is on high definition." I shushed her up with a kiss. "Like really high def, or just plain high?" I asked, pulling her into my embrace. "Really high def. Night vision and binoculars kind of high def," she replied.

And we stayed silent for a while, with me panting against her skin. "Tired?" she asked. I nodded. "I woke up with Bada crying and I called Kyuhyun to accompany me at home, hoping he'll help me out -- but it was otherwise. And then I put Bada back to sleep and made Kyuhyun some breakfast. Bada woke up around lunch time and fell back to sleep again after I fed him some milk."

"While he was asleep, I did the laundry and ironed clothes because the ahjumma told me today was his grandson's birthday and I just gave her the day off -- I didn't want her to miss out on that. And then I changed the bedsheets, blankets, and pillowcases. Then I vacuumed around the whole house." As I finished, Min Yu laughed. "My poor husband~" she patted my head comfortingly.

I flinched from her touch, pretending to act offended. She laughed more. "I realized it's hard to be a single dad," I muttered softly, throwing my head back on the headrest. She kissed me gently. "Of course I know how hard it is. I've lived with a single mom for fifteen years. And that's why I came back to life." She stood up. "Can I see our Bada?"

"Of course." I smiled at her, holding my hand out before she took it in hers. I led her up the stairs, up to our room where he was soundly sleeping. Min Yu gasped loudly after closing the door behind her. I advanced to the crib, taking him in my arms gently and carefully. "Uri Bada~ our omma is here now~" I walked to where Min Yu was standing.

She gulped, snapping out from a state of trance and admiration, before reaching out to touch the baby's cheek. Min Yu's hand stopped in midair as she looked up at me, as if asking for permission. Instead of nodding, I moved the child nearer for her to touch. She smiled, proceeding to touch him dearly. "Uri Bada~" she cooed, her voice trembling as if she was about to cry.

After having his face kissed and touched and caressed endlessly, Bada woke up, his eyes blinking a few times to adjust to the bright surroundings. Min Yu froze, and the baby cried. "And then there's that," I mumbled, handing him over to her while I busied myself fixing another bottle of milk. "Ssh, no, don't cry." She cradled him gently to silence his cries.

Hastily, I handed her the milk and she tried feeding him, but he only cried louder. "I'm sorry," Min Yu handed him to me, looking apologetic. I smiled at her reassuringly. "Why don't you go rest? I'm sure you've missed being at home, right?" I gestured to the bed while desperately trying to put the child back to sleep. "I'll be eating downstairs. You should too," she said before leaving.

And even though I wanted to accept her invitation to go down and eat, Bada took too long to go back to sleep. And I wondered if Min Yu's coffee addiction had anything to do with it. Only when Min Yu had finished eating had he fallen deep into slumber. She watched as I set him down on his crib and tuck him comfortably in.

"You. Me. Dinner." Min Yu stated and dragged me down the stairs by my wrists. "But you've eaten already and I'm tired," I whined immaturely, holding onto the railings to keep her from pulling me. "Then I'll eat again," she fought back with an arched eyebrow. I could only laugh and surrender, seeing how she was back. My Min Yu was back.

And she did eat. She ate while she talked without pause, without a minute to take a breath. But I decided I preferred restless, noisy, funny Min Yu instead of the previous her I have seen in lifeless, pale versions. After eating, she volunteered to wash the dishes while I sat on the counter and talked to her about everything she had missed.

But I didn't wait for her to finish her chores. I walked up the stairs and sank down on the bed, feeling exhaustion building up, causing my eyes to feel much heavier. Min Yu followed soon after, climbing up the bed and lying down beside me. "I missed having you here," I whispered, kissing her forehead and pulling her closer.

She looked up and kissed me. "You sure you never brought any other girl in here while I was gone?" she asked in between kisses. I wound my arms around her waist and kissed her back, feeling my previous exhaustion wearing away. "The last time I checked, the ahjumma was the last girl to be in here. And I don't think she counts as a girl anymore," I replied against her lips.

Min Yu laughed before burying her face on my skin. And I closed my eyes too, preparing to drift back to sleep. The entire house was silent. The happy, complete-family kind of silent. And I had everything I had ever wanted inside this room. I kept my eyes closed, feeling more contented than ever. Sleep was coming -- but then Bada cried -- and I thought, maybe not.

~Lol I didn't want to think of a creative baby name and settled for Bada instead =)) leave comments! :)