Be Mine

Dear Donghae

Tonight, I'm Afraid Of The Dark - 10cm 

Narrator's POV

Min Young dashed down the stairs from her room after hearing the loud ruckus downstairs. "What's happening?" she asked, her still-developing mind getting sharper and sharper by the day. She saw her father flat on the floor, with the others hovering over him. Something must be wrong here, she thought. Donghae was the first to notice her approaching. "Min Young-ssi..." he muttered.

"Appa," she called out, tapping her father to prod him awake. "Appa was just tired--" Min Yu tried explaining. "Tired of what? Tired of living?!" the child exclaimed and clung to her father's feet. "He just fainted. He just came home from a flight and then he had to go to work immediately. Wouldn't you be exhausted too?" Min Jae calmly stated to avoid unnecessary drama.

"Omma, it's your fault she's this melodramatic. You make her watch old Korean dramas about mediocre stuff," Min Yu grumbled under her breath. "She and Niel always watch those dramas whenever he's here," her mother whispered back. Min Yu gave Donghae a look, gesturing for him to take Min Young to her room. You want me to tell her? he mouthed back. She just nodded and waved them away.

He stood up awkwardly. "Min Young, while unnie's down here, why don't we go trash her room?" he suggested. "Appa's not awake yet," she defended. "Appa will wake up soon. Why don't you bring me to your room instead?" he tried once again, and prevailed as the child got up from her spot on the floor and led him to her room upstairs. "I want to show you how unnie at drawing," she said on the way.

Donghae just snickered and followed suit, pushing past her bedroom door after she entered. "Look here," Min Young handed him a piece of paper, "this was her drawing when I told her to draw me." He saw stick figures with name labels, together with a badly drawn house behind. "She can't even draw a perfect circle," the child presented him another of Min Yu's 'masterpiece', if it can even be considered as one.

There were tons of random sketches posted on the wall, each featuring the child's creative imagination and unique skills. "So, how's school?" he sat down on her bouncy bed and noticed some of his own stuffed toys scattered on the bed. "Great. I have friends and we always play during break time. The teacher though," she answered as she climbed up the bed to lie down.

"Why? What's wrong with the teacher?" he fought back a laugh and cuddled with her. "She always tells me to keep quiet. But I always have something to say to my friends and she keeps shushing me," she complained. "The teacher is the one in charge. She's like your mother in school. And you have to listen to what she has to say and obediently follow her instructions, arasseo?" he explained.

She nodded in defeat. "Do you know what happened to your sister and Chunji oppa?" he asked. "They broke up. I just wonder why she's not crying and drinking like those I see in dramas. Chunji oppa's not punching walls or bothering people too, you know, like when the girl leaves the guy and they both cry with a sad background music," she commented. Donghae couldn't fight the urge anymore and burst out laughing.

"Of course they're sad. Don't you also feel sorry for your sister when she's not all smiles?" he pulled the blanket over to tuck her in bed. "Why do people fall in love anyway? They only end up not being together in the long run," she commented. "Well, if your parents weren't in love, you wouldn't be here," he responded. "I could have just erupted from the ground or a drawing coming to life," she smiled at her own thought.

"Do you want them to get back together?" he pressed, slowly easing her to the truth. "I don't care who she's with as long as I know the person is nice," Min Young replied. "What kind of guy do you want her to date?" he demanded. "She'd prefer someone who's smart and easy to talk to. She values the personality more than the looks. And she prefers someone older, you know, someone who takes care of her. Someone like you," she said.

"Well what if your sister and I dated?" he threw in a nervous glance her way. "So you don't date? I always thought you were already something," she exclaimed with a shocked expression. "We do now," Donghae added. "I KNEW IT!" she shouted loudly and sat up at the same time. She ran to her study table, and opened the compartment under. She pulled out a pile of papers and handed it to him.

Donghae also sat up with a confused look on his face. How could she know? he thought. Min Young went back to the bed and shuffled the papers, looking for one particular drawing. "Here," she showed him and pointed to a corner, "whenever I would tell unnie to draw a family, she would put in appa, omma, herself, and me. But then there's always an extra person on a corner. See?"

He followed the direction of her finger and noticed what she was talking about. "She always inserts a dog?" he asked. "That's a person," the child protested. "Your sister really at art," he commented. "So then, who is that extra person?" he continued. "I always thought it was Chunji. But then I also asked her to draw herself with him. And she still puts that extra figure," she sifted through the sketches and handed him another.

"What's this surrounding them? Is this a tree or something?" he asked. "She said that was a heart," Min Young answered. "A HEART? Aigoo. It looks like a tree with the jagged lines," he laughed at his own comment. "I asked her a few times on that person's name, but she just says it's a secret," she shrugged and placed the drawings on her bedside table. "Sleep now. You still have school tomorrow," he ordered and tucked her in.

The child quickly fell asleep, to his surprise, falling into deep slumber only minutes after her eyes closed. But then again, children are still children. He left her side and smiled, noticing how much she resembles her sister. His eyes wandered around the four walls that enclosed them. Her age was still a single digit, yet her room was like an old person's already.

His gaze was shifted back to the pile of papers in the corner, and he examined each one closely. The child was right. There was always a person hastily drawn on a corner of the paper, almost like it was a mistake she didn't bother erasing. But a mistake in every page? It was hardly a coincidence. The riddles Min Yu has left behind definitely baffled him, not to mention the confusion it has brought to Min Young.

He shrugged, taking all the drawings in one hand, turning off the lights, and exiting the room. Downstairs, Leeteuk was still knocked out from his fainting episode. "Ya, you. Sit here," Min Jae ordered as soon as she saw Donghae descending the stairs. "I'm out of here," Min Yu stood up as she anticipated her mom giving him 'the talk'. "Where are you going?" he asked. "Getting some things in my room. Yell if she harasses you," she reminded and marched to her old room.

Min Jae patted the space beside her, motioning for him to sit down while Leeteuk was sprawled on the sofa, still unconscious. "W-what do you want from me noona?" he stammered. "First of all, stop stuttering because I won't hurt you, neither would I touch you. For your information, I'm not angry, or mad in any way. But you still have to answer me truthfully. Do you solemnly swear?" she started.

Donghae gulped down hard before nodding. "Good," she commented, "so what...did you make her drink some love potion or something? Are you really serious about this? 'Cause if you two are just trolling on me, job well done," she clapped her hands and laughed heartily. "Noona, I'm offended that you think of me like that," he complained while watching her boisterous outbursts.

She laughed for a few more times, occasionally murmuring incoherent words that don't really form sentences. "So what, is this serious?" she wiped the tears b in her eyes and clutched her hurting stomach. "Yes," he answered honestly. "So were you two together in Thailand?" she pressed, now with a serious, stern face. "She showed up in front of my door. Turns out she just lived right next to me," he explained.

"Had some fun time huh?" she winked at him knowingly, to which he just blushed and kept his head down low. "Look here," she cleared and sat more comfortably, "I have no problem with you two dating, or being a couple. I was never a mom who steps in on my daughter's relationships, but if you ever starve her, hurt her, offend her, shut her out, threaten her, send her away, or make her cry, you're going to have a bad time."

"I swear," he raised his right hand to promise. "But what about Teukie hyung?" he added worriedly. "Don't worry about him. He'll wake up soon. And when he does, just make sure to tell him everything too," she switched the television on and focused her attention on the news. Upstairs, Min Yu closed the door with her foot, her hands too preoccupied with things she carried.

"What are those?" Donghae asked as she took dangerous steps down the stairs. "Books, boxes, random stuff," she answered. "What do you need all those for?" her mother demanded as he, in turn, helped her with the load. "My apartment's so empty. I just want to see it packed with everything I own," she replied. "That absolutely makes no sense," Donghae commented.

"Why don't you already scurry home? It's getting late," her mother informed. "I'd walk you there," he smiled sweetly and opened the front door for her. "Are you sure that isn't heavy? I could take more," he suggested after closing the door behind them and heading towards the night street. "What time is it?" she asked instead of answering his question. "Half past six. Still early. Why?" he responded with another question, like they were hurling interrogations back and forth.

"Sleepover?" she raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Can't. I have recording and guestings tomorrow," he puffed his cheeks with air and blew. She seemed disappointed with his sudden refusal, what with the upside-down smile, followed by a pout. "Hey," he lifted her chin up, "I'll make it up to you." She pushed his hand away from her face and held his hand, interlocking their fingers together.

With their arms swinging wildly as they walked, Donghae can't help but catch people's attention. Even after many years in the industry, he was still a hot issue in the public eye. "Ya, Donghae! Look here!" a lone photographer called out his name and snapped a picture as soon as he turned to look. "Walk faster," he mumbled softly to Min Yu. "Oppa, is she your girlfriend?" a fan girl erupted from nowhere. "Oh, I think they're dating," hushed voices were heard from behind.

Soon, a crowd formed, almost blocking their way. "I can't be seen in front of your house. We'll be on news tomorrow," he commented as he forced his feet to move quickly to avoid more attention. "We've walked down these streets for many years. Why only now?" she wondered out loud, keeping her head down low in spite of the blinding flashes from cameras.

They kept pushing past the group of people, which was only made harder by the stuff they had in hand. "Excuse me--" she tried. "OW!" someone exclaimed. She looked down and was startled to see a little girl, about her sister's age, who fell on the concrete. "Oh, I'm sorry," she held her hand out and assisted the child as she got up. "Are you okay?" she examined the girl from head to toe.

"YA!" Donghae pulled at her arm harshly when he noticed her stop. "WHAT? A little kid fell down!" she defended and kept up with his pace. "Do you want your face to be on the newspaper tomorrow?! Walk faster!" he scolded against gritted teeth, passing through the narrow passage caused by the already thick crowd. She pursed her lips to avoid arguing with him and did her best to 'walk faster'.

After quickly turning blocks and crossing streets, the photographers and people following them thinned out, until they all disappeared completely. Walking up a few more feet, they had reached her apartment in silence. For some minutes, only the sound of crickets and cars passing by were heard in between them. Min Yu opened the door and placed her things on the floor, with Donghae following her act.

"Are you okay? Were you hurt or...?" he checked her closely. He wouldn't forgive himself if ever something bad had happened to her because of his own fault. "Don't be mad anymore. I'm fine," she replied assuringly. "If it continues to be like that whenever we go out, I'd just bring my car along," he thought out loud. "Stop overreacting. We get spotted too whenever we go out on family dinners," she added.

He plopped down on the couch and rested his head against a pillow. "I'm sorry," he sighed and was on the verge of tears. She downed a glass of water and sat by his side. "Don't be. Come on, you're really over the top. It's fine," she switched on the television. "Really?" he sat up and cuddled close to her. "Really," she answered and turned her attention to random TV shows.

"Wait, did you already tell Min Young?" she asked after a while, to which he nodded. "It's fine with her. But wait," he searched for the compilation of drawings he needed clarification with. "What's that?" Min Yu demanded as he shuffled different pages in his hands. "What's this?" he pointed to the extra person he and Min Young were wondering about.

"What the--where did you find these? Did she give it to you?" she alarmingly pressed and became instantly embarrassed. "WHAT'S THIS?" he repeated, louder this time, and held the sketch in front of her face. "It's a person," she answered obviously. "I know, but who is that?" he interrogated suspiciously. "Did Min Young show you all of these? Oh God these are all so shameful," she muttered to herself.

"WHO IS IT?!" he shouted in frustration. "It's you, babo! Happy?" she confessed and continued flipping through her laughable works of art. "Me? Why am I there?" he asked dumbfoundedly. "It's a secret," she stuck her tongue out and shoved the drawings towards him, drifting her gaze back to the TV screen. "I don't like secrets!" he complained, throwing a fit like a kid.

Min Yu ignored all his whining and let him go on and on until he got tired eventually. "Bad person. I'll just go home," he stood up and fixed his clothes before heading towards the door. Meanwhile in Min Yu's head, she was already planning on how to tell him. Will she just say yes out of nowhere or order him or what? It's been eight years since she had said yes to Chunji, and now she was thinking of him again.

Donghae, annoyed at the cold shoulder she was giving him, flailed his arms wildly in front of her. "So you're just going to give me the silent treatment and push me away? Not even a kiss or something?" he fought for her attention. Like she just snapped out of a trance, Min Yu stood up. "I'll accompany you to the door," she nodded to herself. Even though she has no words prepared to say or blurt out, she hoped it would come out right.

They had reached her door and Donghae stomped his feet as he went out. "What now?" she asked. "You won't tell me the secret," he said in such a way that made her chuckle. "Aigoo," she sighed and hugged him, taking him by surprise. "Don't be bothered so much by that drawing. I have the useless hands ever," she commented. He held both her hands and let it fall to their sides.

His lips made its way to her smooth forehead, resting and letting it stay there where it rightfully belonged. As always whenever he was with her, he suddenly didn't want to leave. "Min Yu?" he called out, his hot breath ticklish against her sensitive skin. "Hmm?" she had her eyes closed, just spoiling herself with the thought of him expressing his love in the most silent of ways.

He breathed in deeply, filling his lungs with cold air and breathing it out. "Be mine," he muttered in a deep voice. It wasn't a question, neither was it an offer. It was an order. And even though he had told her the same thing in different ways and different situations, he still felt nervous as to what her reaction would be. He bit his lip in anticipation for another refusal coming from her own lips. But not tonight.

"Sure," she smiled. He sighed and rested his chin on top of her head. "What do I have to say, what do I have to do, what do I have to prove to make you say-- WAIT, DID YOU JUST SAY YES?!" he held her by the shoulders and his eyes widened. "Wae? Do you want me to say no?" she fought back. Donghae hastily covered with his hand and smiled from ear to ear. "Ah jinjja~" he muttered to himself with a priceless expression on his face.

"So...you're my girlfriend now?" he repeated. She nodded, and almost yelped in surprise when he lifted her from the ground and crushed her into one of his suffocating embraces. "Aish. I can't believe it," he kept talking to himself while planting soft kisses all over her face, never leaving an inch of skin untouched by his lips. "This is so great. I can't tell you how happy I am right now," he kept on blabbering.

"What are you waiting for? Go home already!" she scolded and gently pushed him away. His expression went from ecstatic to serious as he bent down slightly to be on level with her. "What if your father doesn't wake up tomorrow? Would you break up with me, then?" he pouted, his lips brushing against hers. "We'll see," she smiled and leaned closer to kiss him. "Maybe you're just doing this for me to sleepover," he pulled away first.

"I'm smarter than that, you know," she stuck her tongue out at him playfully. "Fine. Now get inside and rest," he ordered and gestured to the door. "But my boyfriend forgot to tell me something~" she whined cutely, making Donghae's heart flutter with her every word. "I love you," Donghae said sincerely, his eyes full of love. "I love you too," she replied and smiled warmly. He messed with her hair, just irritating her before he walked down the remaining steps that separated him from the streets.

Min Yu chuckled to herself as he skipped on the way to the dorm. She probably had no idea how many hours he'd stay awake before sleeping that night, just replaying the scene over and over until his eyes gave up, with him falling asleep with a contented smile on his face.

~Long update! Leave comments below ♥ I probably won't update tomorrow :( Our classes would start on the 6th of June, but I'll surely keep on updating. Give us feedbacks, okay?