Like Nothing Happened

Dear Donghae

CLICK AND HIT LIKE! ☺

Oon Myung (Fate) - Why

Narrator's POV

Min Yu's eyes fluttered open. The painful hammering inside her head wasn't the first thing that came in her mind. She sat up and saw Heechul sleeping on the bed soundly.

It was already six in the morning, and if she was feeling herself, she might have dashed to the bathroom to take a shower and get dressed in lightning speed. But since she wasn't the Min Yu she wanted herself to be, she got up slowly and walked out of the room.

The hallway wasn't ever the same without the noise. It was what gave the dorm its identity. With all the heavy footsteps, the loud chattering, the strewn clothes on the floor, it was the Super Junior dorm, witness to everything that had taken place inside its four-walled sanctuary.

If the house itself could talk, it would scold her and tell her she had made another, yet again, big mistake...not that she hadn't made enough already. She just didn't learn.

The carpeted floor muffled all the unnecessary noises her feet had made. She stumbled on the way down the stairs to the kitchen. She dearly missed the smell of delicious breakfast waiting for her every morning before she went to school, the warm smiles that Ryeowook would welcome her with after he pushed the chair back to make her sit, and the shuffling pages of the newspaper as Siwon tried his best to catch up on current events.

But times have changed, and these people don't account anymore to what she does. The members have grown older. She did too, but not exactly the right way.

Her age just reached above the minor limits, not that she had taken advantage of it before. Min Yu took a glass and filled it with cold water, hoping its absence of heat would ease her suffering.

She advanced to the common bathroom near the kitchen. The aspirin bottle had been abused too many times by the members after a rough night out drinking. It was abused too much to the point that there was no more pill left for her.

She threw the useless container away quite disappointedly before walking back to the living room. Downing the glass of water and thinking it was soju, she dashed back to her room to grab her laptop and her phone before running back down the stairs.

Everything around her spun as she sat down on the sofa and panted, trying to catch her breath. Her vision clouded, like a haze ahead. Less than a minute later, everything had color again.

She turned her laptop on and drummed her fingers on the surface as she waited patiently. Her thumb left a print on the dusty screen, and she wiped it clean with her palm.

The laptop had been a gift from Kyuhyun after she returned from the North. It came to her together with all the memories she had long forgotten before her capture.

He had wanted her to come back to her old self, and had especially installed the full version of Starcraft to remind her of the old days.  She smiled as she remembered how she had felt towards Super Junior's maknae back then.

She felt a surge of cold realization for recalling the past. Min Yu had thought that Kyuhyun was the only one for her, her stupid puberty hormones told her so.

But she was 14 that time, and even though she claims to know something about love, she never realized it was just a teenage infatuation, a temporary feeling. And now that she was older by 9 years, she wished it was the same with Donghae.

He shoved his clothes hastily inside his suitcase, and wished, not for the first time, that he wasn't such a crybaby. Contented with his carelessly-made luggage, he zipped it up in one go. Donghae took a quick shower before getting dressed.

He took his time in every action. He wasn't in a hurry, anyway. After buttoning his shirt close, he plopped back down on his bed and closed his eyes, not bothering to fix his hair in front of the mirror.

The cold wind blew from the air conditioning unit to the rest of the room, relaxing his tensed muscles and calming his mind. He regretted having walked into the balcony last night. If he hadn't, then he wouldn't have known that she was getting married. He would have been happy for her if he was the one who had given her the ring. But fate had played a dirty trick on them once again.

Ignorance is bliss, but if he remained deaf, blind, and numb to the screaming truth, then his pain would have been prolonged. Lies hurt worse than the truth. He rarely did this, but at the moment, he needed enlightenment.

He put himself in his father's shoes, and thought of what could his father do if he was in the same position as him.

The father he had known was wise and open minded. He knew his way around things, not avoiding trouble, like what Donghae was about to do, but solving it like a man.

But if things got complicated and there was no easy way out, his father would have just let things take its own course. Que sera sera. What ever will be, will be. And there was no stopping it.

He stood up from his bed and walked over the bathroom. The medicine cabinet creaked as Donghae opened it. When he found what he was looking for, he went back to his room to gather his things.

Too bad Min Yu hadn't chosen to sleep on her old bed just beside him. If she had, then things wouldn't have turned out this way. He snapped a mental picture of his room, knowing he wouldn't be able to see it again for who knows how long.

The plain black loafers didn't make a sound as he stepped on the carpeted floor outside his room. The whole dorm was silent and he figured that everyone might still be asleep at this time of day.

Donghae stopped by Leeteuk and Heechul's old room and opened the door. Her bed was empty. He closed the door silently, careful not to make any noise as he descended the stairs.

He hadn't expected her to be there. By any chance, has she been waiting for him? But her eyes were blankly fixed on her computer screen and her fingertips made a clattering sound as it traveled from one letter to another on the keyboard. The four wheels of his suitcase trolled against the floor noisily, making her jostle out of her busy trance.

Donghae knew better than to say a word. He held his head up high as he walked down step by step until his feet reached the flat ground. She didn't say anything either.

Even if their mouths didn't open and their eyes didn't meet, at one point he didn't want to leave, and she didn't want to be left by him either. The feeling was mutual, although that's all it'll ever be. Mutual. Mute.

No one dared utter a single syllable as Donghae kept his eye on the front door. After that obstacle, he was free. But he knew he was only kidding himself. As he reached the other end of the long sofa where she was busily working, he tossed the bottle until it rolled on her side without looking back.

He already allowed to spoil himself with giving her the medicine, but he wouldn't go as far as giving her a goodbye kiss or telling her he'd come back. Instead, he walked out the door completely. Min Yu examined the bottle of aspirin he had thrown. In some way or another, he still cared.

She did too.

Donghae's POV

I tossed my luggage carelessly on the floor and plopped down on the bed, never bothering to take my shoes off. The bedsheet and blanket smelled strongly of detergent and bleach from repeated laundry, and I wondered how many couples had made love on this same bed, how many couples have broken up and fought in the same room, and how much tears have soaked on the pillows.

The air conditioning unit hummed a low buzzing sound that filled the room. I knew I could afford five-star hotels with first-class accommodations, but somehow I managed to settle in this cheap hotel.

I buried my face on the pillow and inhaled deeply. The strong odor stung my nose and I had to cough out, like I was choking on my own spit. I probably looked stupid with my actions, and Chunji wouldn't really do something like that. Maybe that's why Min Yu chose to marry him.

Aish. Bitter bitter Lee Donghae. I came all the way from Korea to Thailand to forget about her, and yet all my thoughts lead me back to her. I sat up and pulled my shirt over my head, leaving me in my pants.

There.

Siwon was right. Being shirtless sometimes feels good. My phone went off and started ringing. All I had to do was press ACCEPT and I could immediately talk to the person calling. The problem was, I don't remember where I had left it.

As I stumbled to get up, almost tripping on my own feet, it crossed my mind that maybe I had left my phone back in my room at the dorm. But I wasn't that stupid.

Following the sound of the rings, I traced the phone back to my own jeans pocket. Smart. "Yoboseyo?" I answered quite breathlessly. "Haeeeee. Where are you?" Eunhyuk whined.

"Ask Min Yu. She knows where I am," I replied, walking back towards the bed. There was a moment of pause as Eunhyuk followed my order. "She said you're just in the bathroom. I kept knocking on the door and Heechul was the one who came out. Are you trolling on me?" he replied.

"I'm in Thailand," I informed, knowing the members have ganged up on the gullible dancing machine.

"Aish. I thought you were somewhere far. Just don't take long okay? I'm going to take a bath to--WAIT WHAT?!" he exclaimed over the phone. "What are you doing there? You never told me you were leaving!"

"I just wanted to leave for a short vacation," I lied, trying to sound convincing enough for Eunhyuk. "Fine. But Siwon wants to talk to you," he said.

"Donghae, come back quickly. Saranghae~" Siwon greeted, and I could clearly hear the phone being passed from one person to another. "Who is this?" I heard Ryeowook ask.

"It's Donghae!" Eunhyuk whispered. "Donghae? Isn't he just in his room?" Ryeowook asked, clearly confused. "He's in Thailand," Eunhyuk explained and pressed the phone closer him.

"Donghae hyung? A-a-annyeong," Ryeowook stated, probably forced by Eunhyuk to talk to me. "Hyukjae, you're obviously bothering people," I whined. "Wait! I think Min Yu wants to talk to you too," he uttered quickly.

"MIN YU!...You don't want? Why? It's Donghae. He's in Thailand...OW! THAT HURT! You don't have to hurt me!...Aish...Arasseo, arasseo. Donghae? Are you still there?" he called out.

I clutched one pillow tightly with my free hand while holding my phone against my ear with the other. So she didn't want to talk to me. Then fine!

"Ssshhh...Eunhyuk-ah! Sssshhh...I-I think...Sssshhhh...I can't hear you! Ssshhhh...I'll call you--Sssshhh...Some other time! Bye!" I made cracking noises, pretending that the signal was so weak, making the line break up.

After ending the call, I threw the pillow across the bed and away from me. "So you don't want to talk to me, huh?" I pointed to the fluffy white pillow.

"Well guess what? I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU AND THAT STUPID RING ON YOUR FINGER EITHER!" I turned my back on the soft cushion. "Come on, Donghae. It was all my fault. Blame it all on me," I imagined Min Yu saying.

"Yeah, you. You with your long, brown hair that covers your eyes which just makes me want to push it away so I could see your pretty face. You with your forever obsession with caffeine and sugar that made me want to start my own restaurant so you won't have to pay for anything you eat."

"You with your liking for men's clothings that I don't know which boxer is mine, which is Hyukkie's, and which is yours."

"You with your preference for adventure and recklessness that always makes me worry and makes me want to take care of you more. You with your strong hand that's ready to smack someone's head at any minute."

"You with your mouth full of smart talk that you always have something interesting to say. You with your soft hands and slender fingers that lock perfectly with mine."

I turned around to find the pillow staring at me, together with the wrinkled bedsheet and neatly folded blanket, but no Min Yu anywhere. I knelt in front of the pillow and threw punches its way.

"You with that stupid engagement ring on your finger that you presented to me last night," If the pillow could talk, it would have screamed in pain from all the abuse I had made.

"You with your empty stomach that I had thought had been the place for my baby," my punches grew stronger and stronger with each hit and each statement. At least I knew how to manage my temper.

Satisfied with what I did, I fell back down on the bed and panted heavily, my chest heaving up and down with every breath.

"Tell me you're sorry. Just tell me you want me back. Apologize to me sincerely, and I'd tell you I love you."

       CLICK AND HIT LIKE! ☺