Trying

Dear Donghae

Narrator's POV

"You're going to embarrass me again. I can feel it." Min Yu took a step sidewards, just to be out of Donghae's reach. "So what, you're just going to pretend we don't know each other? Really?" Although there was a slight tint of anger in his tone, his voice was well-modulated. "After all the movies we watched together? After all the car rides we shared? After all the nights we--" Min Yu covered his mouth with her hand to cut him off.

She beamed at him widely to cover up for the stares they earned from other people in the same waiting room as them. He kissed her palm, leaving her to scrunch up her face in fake irritation and yank her hand away. Donghae had a victorious grin spread across his face until such time that the nurse called for them, to which they both got up and went inside the doctor's office.

In they came and immediately took seats by the doctor's table. After their small talk about the couple's first visit just days ago, the mid-forty year-old doctor leaned forward on her elbows. "So I know you're eager to hear what the results say..." She shuffled some papers in front of the couple. It was quite entertaining for her to see the anticipation burning in their eyes. "But we'll have an evaluation first. I want you to answer these questions truthfully."

And the two let out breaths they didn't know they were holding. The doctor flipped through her clipboard and began writing. "How often do you two have ?" she asked straightforwardly. Donghae choked on his own saliva. Min Yu counted backwards in her head, to which the woman just laughed. "Okay, to make it easier, how frequent in a month?"

Min Yu turned to her husband questioningly, but he had the identical look of recollection. The doctor tapped her pen on the table, sounding impatient. "In a week?" she tried once more, but they retained the tensed expressions, as if they had just been asked to calculate the world's current population and to relate it to the planet's area per square kilometer.

The woman fought the urge to give herself a facepalm. "In a day?" she interrogated once more, but to no avail. Donghae gave up and heaved an exhausted sigh. "We lost count," he stated helplessly and slouched more on his seat, his tailbone at the edge of the chair. Min Yu tried breathing properly to fight back blushing.

Realizing what he had just said, Donghae looked away, smiling shyly. "To be honest, there's nothing wrong with both of you," the doctor announced gladly. She braced herself for the crying, perhaps the hugging and the kissing. But her expectations weren't met as Min Yu raised her hand up and Donghae gave her a high five, followed by their shoulders bumping against each other like two soccer teammates winning a goal.

"It's just that you fail to meet the days when you," the doctor continued, turning to Min Yu. "...are most fertile. But keep trying." She flashed a warm smile before standing up. "When you finally get a little Super Junior inside, I'll be the first to congratulate you both." The woman held her hand out, which the man shook thankfully and bid their goodbyes before walking out.

--

"Did you see me? Did you see me? Did you see me? Did you see me? Did you see me? Did you see me? Did you see me? Did you see me? Did you see me?" Min Yu's ears rung at the sound of Donghae's voice. She laughed to herself silently at how silly he acted. "Yes, I did." The girl brushed the hair matting on her face caked with sweat.

The TV was blaring this year's Mnet Music Asian Awards, and Min Yu was annoyed at the wrong Mandarin subtitles at the bottom of the screen. "It's fun in here. And it's your fault for choosing to be lazy than being my date for tonight." Donghae scolded, and she mentally laughed at the thought that he might be the only celebrity with his phone against his ear.

"Wait, I want you to see how much fun I'm having," he muttered once more. The cameo was focused on the stage, how the lighting made it hard for people to see, and how many fans actually came to support their idols. Min Yu puffed her cheeks with air and blew. "What now?" she whined almost impatiently. And then the cameo was focused on Donghae, who waved frantically in front of the camera.

He waved a few more times, a grin spread widely across his face. "Nope. I don't see you," she lied, and disappointment clearly took over his obvious joy. Eunhyuk, seated beside him, had the camera focused solely on him. "For Min Yu?" he asked loudly, as his voice sounded near the phone. He blew a kiss, and even when he was far away, she cringed away from the television.

"Ugh." Min Yu stumbled and her feet knocked over a box of her own books. "What was that?" Donghae interrogated closely. Even the faintest of noises intrigue him. "Some stuff. I began packing since you left." She rubbed her right eye as it stung from an escaping drop of sweat. "And I'm exhausted because SOMEONE just had to insist having to move at night. What kind of normal person would transfer homes when it's dark?"

Donghae raised his right hand up. "That'll be me."

Before he could let his arm fall back to his side, he received a brief tap on the shoulder. "Sir, we're about to start. Please turn off all mobile phones as it may disrupt the sound system. Thank you," said the man with a badge near his shoulder. "It's an emergency. I'm sure it's a reasonable exception," Donghae replied coolly.

"But sir--" "My wife's a lawyer. I'm sure you'll consider that, right?" he interrupted pleadingly. Min Yu covered her phone's receiver to conceal her outburst of laughter. "No. I'm not sure I can help you with that," she stated softly. "Ugh. Fine, fine. I'll be home as early as I can, okay? I'll help you with stuff," Donghae mumbled all at once. "But us moving tonight is final."

Min Yu only grumbled in response, which sounded only humming to the other line. She rubbed her eyes sleepily and, slowly, fell on her side to lie on the couch. "Sir, the show is about to start. If you don't comply with our rules, I'll have to take your phone away," the security officer reminded. "Yeobo, watch us, okay? I love you. Ppyong~" he bid in a rush before hanging up.

Her eyes barely open, the girl placed the gadget carefully by the center table. Trying to stay awake as long as she could, Min Yu managed to keep her eyes open -- if not wide -- until Super Junior received their awards. She still had enough consciousness to laugh at Leeteuk's stuttering before her eyes involuntarily gave up, making her drift off to sleep.

She was only prodded awake a few hours later by loud shuffling sounds followed by bones against the floor with a groan to match. "Donghae?" Min Yu sat up slowly, her eyes adjusting to the brightness of the room. The man stood up from where he had tripped on the ground and organized more of his stuff inside a box. "Let me help you with that," the girl offered.

He watched her fold his clothes neatly into a pile as he, in turn, took off his blazer before loosening his tie. "Did Jungsoo cry?" she asked softly, alternating folding clothes and placing them accordingly into the box. "No," replied Donghae coolly, striding to make sure they haven't left something out. "In the car?" Min Yu tried once again.

"Well, he sat on the passenger seat. And after a while, he began asking for a box of tissues..." Donghae ducked and carried two boxes at a time. He walked out the door, leaving her to finish off packing. Afterwards, she joined him in shoving boxes into the trunk of his car. It took him four trips to get everything, as Min Yu, after doing her part, resumed her sleep on the passenger seat.

Min Yu's POV

"Yeobo~" Donghae pinched my cheek. "What?!" I almost whined, pushing his hand away and turning to the opposite side. But he was insistent, using various tactics to wake me up -- which I did out of irritation. "We're already here," he gestured outside the windshield, towards a two-storey house, almost 40% of which was made in glass.

He must have seen the amazed look on my face after he smirked proudly, unbuckling his seatbelt. "Help me get these stuff out and into the house," he requested. I exited the vehicle and lent him a hand with all the boxes. After half an hour or so, we were finally settled -- although everything was still scattered and all over the place.

The man crossed his arms over his chest before heaving a sigh and turning towards my direction. "Do you like it?" he pressed. And I gave the surroundings one long gaze before nodding. "But?" Donghae asked, to which I smiled. He knew me too well. "But it seems too spacious for just the two of us," I continued after glancing at him thoughtfully.

"It won't be as empty soon." He my hair gently. Donghae held his hand out in front of me. "I'll give you a tour." He gestured to the stairs, and I grasped his hand tightly. In and out, we weaved through the different rooms, deciding which would serve whatever purpose. Finally, he led me into a room obviously contrasting than the others we've been into, and it was obviously just for the two of us after he immediately sank on the bed.

He patted the space beside him, inviting me to climb up the mattress. And I did, feeling the familiar exhaustion threatening to pull me back to sleep. But before I could, however, Donghae began ing his top, to which I chuckled amusedly. "What do you think you're doing?" I asked, trying to win him out with indifference. He pinned me underneath him, breathing sharply. "The doctor said we should keep trying, right?"

~I really really admire the house ^^ Short update. Leave comments! ☺