Brighter

Dear Donghae

Amazing - Infinite

Narrator’s POV

“Aren’t you surprised or shocked…or anything?” Chunji asked as he held Min Yu’s hand tighter. “We just told you we’re getting married,” she added, staring at her parents’ blank expressions. Leeteuk and Min Jae just exchanged glances and burst out laughing. “You think we’re joking?” Min Yu demanded, almost confused.

“Of course not!” Leeteuk replied. “We were just waiting for you to propose to her,” Min Jae turned to Chunji. “Aish. And here I was, waiting to be grilled with questions,” Chunji broke out in cold sweat. Min Jae stood up. “I’m just going to prepare our lunch,” she fixed the creases on her shirt.

Her daughter stood up and followed suit. “I’ll help,” she offered and they both walked towards the kitchen. “Thank you,” Leeteuk whispered to Chunji. “For what?” the younger asked. “For wanting to marry Min Yu. I thought she was going to spend the rest of her life bothering me and her mom,” Leeteuk chuckled.

“I HEARD THAT!” Min Yu shouted from the kitchen. Leeteuk and Chunji let out a laugh. “So, do your parents know about it yet?” Leeteuk asked. “I haven’t had time to bring Min Yu to my hometown. It’s either she’s busy, or I’m overseas. But I’ve told them about her, and they’re dying to meet her,” he explained.

“How’d you propose?” Leeteuk pressed for details. “I asked her while she washed the dishes,” Chunji responded. Super Junior’s leader hurled a pillow at the Teen Top member’s face. “YOU…THAT’S SO…WHAT THE…REALLY? That’s so unromantic in every way. Even I won’t do that,” he exclaimed.

“Fine, then I’ll take back my ring,” he stood up, but Leeteuk pulled him back into place. “Just try and 13 fists would come into contact with your face,” he threatened.

“Kidding,” Chunji snickered. “Even if you and noona were opposed to the both of us getting married, I’d run off with her.”

Leeteuk smiled and nodded to himself, as if he also considered running away as a solution. "How did you feel when she said yes?" he prodded Chunji. He only sighed, at a loss for words to descirbe how he had felt at that moment Min Yu accepted his proposal. Leeteuk's smile grew wider.

"Yeah. That's how I felt too," he muttered. "It's like I won gold medal at the Olympics, you know? So proud, and you feel like nothing could go wrong," Chunji said.

"But you know, it's already an understatement," he added. "If it already feels great, wait till she says 'I do'. THAT was the best part," Leeteuk commented as they both watched the two women prepare food. "Really? I thought the kiss was the best part?" Chunji turned to the older questioningly. "Yeah, that too," he agreed.

"And then you get to the honeymoon..." Leeteuk closed his eyes as he slumped back on the sofa, as if he was reminiscing he and Min Jae's wedding day. "Well, about that..." Chunji cut him off. "We live in a modern world, so some things don't go in order the way they're supposed to..." Leeteuk's eyes shot open and his hands flew to Chunji's neck.

"YOU MY DAUGHTER?!" he hissed as he strangled the younger with his bare hands.

"But she p-provoked me!" power voice Chunji defended. "SHE WHAT?!" Leeteuk let him go off of his grip. "She wanted it! It's not if it isn't forced," he protested.

"You mean...?" Leeteuk went from red because of anger to pale beacuse of surprise. "We were in my room and she started kissing me so hard as her fingers wandered in my hair..." "I DON'T NEED DETAILS!...SHE WHAT?!" Leeteuk shouted, still couldn't believe his ears.

"Back to the wedding..." Chunji steered the conversation, dropping the previous topic he himself had started. "If you felt extremely happy about the proposal and the wedding, wait till she tells you she's pregnant," he sighed, staring cheesily at his wife in the kitchen.

"Min Yu just wants to adopt," Chunji said. "Don't believe her. She'd do anything, even endure tons of pain, just to have her own baby," Leeteuk replied.

"And when you see her carrying your own baby, your friends, your money, your car, your clothes, your fans...they won't matter any longer. All you want is to come home early from work and smile as you see your wife and your baby waiting for you at your own house. Then before you fall asleep as you go to bed, you wonder how someone like you could deserve to have the two most beautiful people you've ever seen, and at that moment, you couldn't want anything more," he stated.

"You wake up the next morning. You see your wife sleeping soundly beside you and suddenly you felt so lazy to get out of bed, not because you're tired and still sleepy...actually you forget all about yourself and your needs and wants. All that matters is your wife and your child, and giving...wait scratch that. Sometimes you even want to BECOME what they need, and not just give it to them."

"Because of them, you want to be the best you can be, not because of the thousands and thousands of crowd screaming your name and snapping your photos. But because at the end of the day, you come home to your wife who tells you she loves you, and with her is the baby that would grow up and be eager to hear your stories, the stories that tell how good of a person you were, and now best person in front of your own family."

"She's the most I could ever want," Chunji stared at Min Yu intently.

"You know she's the one when she looks into your eyes and it's like time had stopped and the whole world had frozen. All that mattered is that person's happiness, and you didn't care if it cost you your own. It's not that you are really afraid to lose her that you are more than willing to give her your everything, it's just that you care for her more than yourself. All that mattered was her. And if she was happy, then you are too, even if you yourself aren't the reason behind her smile."

Min Yu's POV

"Are you really ready to marry him?" omma asked once we got in the kitchen. I turned away from her and ducked down to get the plates. If she could see my face, she'd know I'm undecided. "Of course," I replied, trying to be convincing.

If Donghae was here, he would want to talk to me and ask me what's wrong. And of course...he was on my mind again. You pushed him away, right Min Yu? So don't ever think about him anymore.

The aroma of my mother's cooking filled the entire kitchen, making my mouth water in anticipation of my tastebuds. "What made you say yes?" she asked once again.

"And what kind of a question is that?" I chuckled. But really, what made ME say yes? "Fine. I know it's sounds cliche and too naggy if I asked you. But after eight years of being together, what made you agree to marrying him?" she demanded.

"He already asked me not that long ago, but I said no. I had lots of things on my mind that time, and when he asked me last Monday, I didn't see any reason why I should say no. I mean, he checked out everything on my list. He has work, a great future ahead of him, and the best of friends. He's smart and interesting to talk to. He's funny, and caring. He's true to what he says too. A walk-the-talk kind of guy."

"He may be full of himself sometimes, but a smack on his head fixes the job. Min Young likes him, and I think he likes her more than me," I laughed. "But they get along together well, and he's respectful to appa and you. In every decision he makes, he asks for my opinion, and I think it's a great thing for him to give me a say and a voice on what he wants to do."

"He's mature and responsible, but quite childish and playful too. He knows when something's wrong even if I don't say it, and tries to comfort me without pressuring me to tell him what my problem is. He gives me balanced advices, and shows me what my mistakes are. We may fight and argue, but before we go to sleep, we make sure everything's fine between us."

"He makes me feel a whirlpool of random emotions. He makes me cry, but he makes me laugh until my stomach hurts and tears fall out of my eyes. He makes me see everything in his own eyes when I become too self-centered. He's my best friend, my brother, and my lover all at the same time. He changed me in a way I'd never imagined, and he made me change for the better."

"In short?" omma asked, wanting me to conclude everything I had said.

"He saves me from the darkest corners of myself," I answered, staring straight into the oblivion. Nostalgia took over, as I felt those words coming out of my mouth before at a different place, a different time, and to a different person. "Well, he's a lifesaver then," omma smiled and continued preparing the meal.

"Who?" I asked, quite dumbly. "Who are we talking about? Chunji, of course," she raised her eyebrow questioningly. "Oh," I muttered softly. She was right. We WERE talking about Chunji. But I wasn't thinking about him while those words, sentences, and paragraphs flowed out of my lips.

It was Donghae. All Donghae.

Chunji's POV

"Let me guess, you love coldness?" Min Yu chuckled as she put her jacket around my shoulders and handed me a cup of coffee. "Lovely Saturday night, isn't it?" I asked while looking up at the dark, clear sky.

"I guess some of my star gazing momentums rubbed off on you," she smiled and followed my gaze. Her pale skin glowed even more under the moonlight, and in her eyes, I probably looked the same. The thought made me warm and happy inside, for even in just that one small thing, we were one.

I fumbled for my phone, and the bright artificial light distracted her. "I want to take a picture of us," I pouted and used my aegyo against her. "I don't want," she shook her head defiantly.

"Noonas and dongsaengs from all over the world want to take my picture and fall for my aegyo but here you are, ignoring me when I'm the one requesting," I grumbled.

She giggled and pinched my cheeks. "How many do you want? A hundred?" she joked and scooted closer to me. I raised my phone and when satisfied with the angle, snapped the picture. I held her closer, pressing her back against my chest and took more shots. "Aren't you cold?" I asked after saving everything I had taken on a separate album.

"Well maybe you're not the one who likes coldness," she stuck out her tongue cutely and ran away like a child caught doing a bad act.

When I was sure she was far enough to hear anything, I flicked my phone open and went through all the pictures we've taken. Her smile was contagious, brighter than the stars twinkling up above me. It was pure and sincere, and it reached her eyes, true in every way.

But her eyes didn't sparkle the same. It was different, with a hint of confusion and go-with-the-flow feeling.

I dialled the airlines' number in a haste, wasting no time to answer as soon as there came one. "Good evening. How may I help you?" a lady on the other line greeted. "Yes, this is Lee Chan Hee, and I would like to book a flight," I replied, glancing occasional looks to see if Min Yu was coming nearer.

"Where to, sir?" she asked.

"To Thailand," I responded, my voice getting a bit unstable mentioning the country.

"For how many?" she asked once again.

All that mattered was her...Leeteuk's voice replayed in my mind.

"For one, please."

~HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO 1297yea ^^