Bad Memory

Dear Donghae

A Sad Love Song - Davichi

Narrator's POV

Day 278

Her hair flew briskly against the wind as she stepped out of the cab and through the gates. Each step was taken with confidence, for it has been days -- or perhaps weeks -- since her strength was renewed, although her esteem was not. It was still buried six feet under the ground, maybe even deeper. It just didn't resurface today, even just for today.

The girl had her fingers crossed as she opened the envelope. "Please, please," she kept muttering to herself in hopes that her positive-thinking would also bring positive results. Her fingers tore the paper hastily and crumpled it before shoving it down her pocket. Min Yu's eyes widened, scanning past the doctor's attached letter, stating his worry about her frequent visits. And she immediately saw the picture.

She sighed and tucked it behind her diary. The pictures have been making the notebook heavier, and they keep piling up. It was a collection and somewhat a reminder of all her shortcomings and she was disappointed at herself. She knew self-pity would go nowhere. But nonetheless, Min Yu closed the book with a thud and knocked on the front door.

Her mother greeted with a smile reaching from ear to ear. Min Yu stomped in the house without taking her shoes off. "Don't say it. Okay? That's the least thing I want to hear right now," she complained. "We have something for you~" Min Jae retorted whimsically, trying to gnaw at the edges of her daughter's patience. "Please don't say anything more, Mom."

The woman's face slipped into a pout as she leaned against the table's edge. The girl, however, flipped through the pages of her notebook absent-mindedly. Early in the morning and she was in a bad mood. "What's wrong?" asked Min Jae. Her mind was quite clear to the ridge between Min Yu and Donghae, and her daughter didn't want her to know, or else Donghae would be dead...at the very least.

Min Yu swallowed the nostalgia lurking down her insides. "Nothing." As she scanned through the diary, she knew how evidently depressed she has been the past hundred days. And it wasn't a sign of anything good. Dear Donghae, Dear Donghae, Dear Donghae...It all spoke of her unreached expectations and the fact that the relationship was just one-sided made her heart heavier.

She sighed and stood up to get herself a glass of water. All this anxiety was becoming dehydrating. Min Jae was about to warn her about something, but she closed anyway. There was a muffled giggle as Min Yu poured cold water into a glass. "Dad, I can hear you. There's no point in hiding," she smiled and gulped some water to quench her thirst.

Leeteuk's shoulders drooped in defeat as he advanced to sit by the dining table, setting a cake in front of him. "But this one's delicious," he retorted sadly. Min Yu snorted and sat across the chocolate cake with lit candles above. The man suddenly had his hopes high and was about to sing and clap. But, "Please don't. I'll blow on the candles and make a wish and all. But I don't need you to sing, thank you."

She closed her eyes and mumbled to herself unintelligible words without a hint of faith, knowing quite well it was just a consoling factor. "Why are you so bummed about today?" he asked after the candles went out. She shrugged after he handed her a fork for them both to dig in on the food. "Where's Min Young?" she suddenly remembered.

"Oh you know your sister," Leeteuk shook his head with the corners of his mouth stained with chocolate. "She'll just be in her room. And I really think I should blame you for this, but when she gets mad, she grumbles in some weird elfish language of some sort." Min Yu's head perked up in interest and amusement. "You mean German?"

The father, who is now only a part time leader of Super Junior because of his filial duties, shook his head no. "No, that's the country, you're speaking of. That's not it." He muttered in denial, racking his brain for what the word was. Min Yu just stared at him weirdly, knowing he has committed a stupid act that she never would have approved of. And, finally realizing what he just said, "Oh."

--

Donghae came out of his bedroom and ruffled his hair, obviously still sleepy. Min Yu poked on her food with her fork, not really having the appetite to eat anything and it was all Leeteuk's fault for presenting her a chocolate cake. Sungmin hummed random songs as he stirred on her coffee. And when he noticed his Lee brother descending the stairs, "Ya, Donghae! Do you know that toda--"

Min Yu hurriedly covered his mouth with her hand, immediately muffling the next words that came out of Sungmin's mouth. "Yeah, he said your...your hair. Yes, your hair looks kind of...in place today," Min Yu disguised the uncertainty with an equally uncertain smile. Donghae's eyes narrowed as his hand reached up to his hair consciously. "Uhh, thanks?"

He sat by the couch and focused his gaze on the television. When Sungmin has finally calmed down, Min Yu let her hand fall back to her side. "Well, don't blurt it out!" she hissed at him accusingly. "But Eunhyuk said--" "I don't care what Eunhyuk said! Just shush, okay? Please? I'll be really grateful if you do." Min Yu clasped her hands together in front of Sungmin's face as she pleaded.

The man gave up. "Okay, it's fine with me because toda--" "Thank you!" Min Yu cut him off before he could reveal anything further as she crushed him into her tight embrace. She then sank down beside Donghae on the couch. And she just stared at him, taking close notice of how he blinks, how the television show reflects from his glassy eyes.

Swallowing her ego in the form of a lump in , the girl knew that organizing her thoughts were of no use. That the man in front of her was very beautiful makes her stutter and stammer like a fool. After years and 278 days, it never got any better. "Speak. You look pale," he instructed after seeing her ghostly complexion. She has forgotten how to breathe.

"Please watch a movie with me later," pleaded Min Yu fervently for the hundredth time. Even though she knew quite well her hopes would go down the drain once again, she just didn't seem to run out of hope. Her fingers were crossed that he might remember, even just for this day, even just this once, just this one day that he might be able to spare her even just a minute.

Donghae smiled at her cute actions and pinched her cheek. "Sure," he flashed her a smile that would surely get her going throughout the day. That is, though, if he really walks his talk. "Promise?" Min Yu held her pinky finger out. He reached out and clasped his finger with hers. "Promise," he declared confidently. And as always, she believed.

Min Yu's POV

He sat on the free space beside me and flashed an apologetic look. I glanced at my watch, frowning as the time blared. 10:21PM. I sighed and stood up to leave. "Wait," Donghae stalled as he followed suit. "What?" I asked, trying to mask my disappointment. He gestured to Sun Hye. "It's her birthday today." The woman had a proud smile plastered across her face. She must be very happy.

My fists clenched and tightened around the wasted -- now useless -- movie tickets. "Happy birthday, unnie." I smiled sourly, which she returned. She might toss around threats and blackmails my way later, but right now I just didn't care. 'Donghae doesn't love you anymore. You're just his fast . Grow up. Grow up. Grow up.' Oh she didn't need to repeat those for me.

I slipped my sneakers on and headed to the front door, before swallowing all the curses and swears that might come out. "Wait," Donghae called out once again while jogging to keep up with my hurried pace as I exited. "I'll walk you home," he offered rhetorically. I didn't want to open my mouth anymore. And I doubt he would listen. He never does.

I kept my mouth shut and my lips pursed while Donghae trailed from behind. The night was chilly with strong winds blowing from the north. "Look--" "Let's see. You're sorry. You were busy and things got out of hand again. They always do. And I'm supposed to forgive you and say that it's fine. It's alright. Is that what you're about to say? End of conversation," I cut him off.

He heaved a sigh, which came out in the form of a warm steam coming from his mouth. "It's not that," he retorted, his hand trying to catch mine as I pretended to shove both my hands down my jeans pockets. "It's just that I forgot and I'm sorry, okay?" He searched my face for answers, but I don't want to meet his gaze.

I nodded to myself. "You never did remember anything." And looking away, I made a mental note of how long I had waited again. This time, it seemed to be only mere three hours. I was slowly getting impatient, unlike the eleven, twelve, twenty-four hours I used to let pass by. Even I was surprised at the things I've done. I was the weakest person I ever knew.

Was it my fault or was it just that my importance also decreased to a below-sea level? I wasn't sure. "Hey." Donghae gave me a light nudge. "I'm sorry, okay? You're mad, I know. And I don't have to ask. Maybe you could have just watched the movie by yourself or something," he tried. "No, it's fine." I gave out a shrug and shifted my gaze to the ground.

He made another attempt to hold my hand, but I crossed my arms over my chest, pretending to act all cold and freezing. Donghae looked frustrated. "You shouldn't have waited for me." He continued, his voice loud enough to be heard despite the loud sirens from cars occasionally passing by the road. Can't they all just hit me purposely and kill me instantly?

"I just waited because you said you would come." I muttered somehow bitterly and proceeded walking. There was nearly one-foot distance between us. And the fact that we are becoming suddenly estranged made matters worse. I wanted to shake his hand and ask for his name so I could gladly introduce myself. Why did it seem like we didn't know each other anymore?

Donghae puffed his cheeks with air and exhaled through his mouth sharply. "I'll make it up to you. Let's just go out some other time, okay? And I promise I won't forget." He held his right hand up to swear, but I only shook my head. "It's alright. I really wanted to spend time with you today." To assure him I wasn't really angry, I tried to force a smile as we walked.

We paced moderately, though my impatient self was eager to celebrate the occasion by myself. He didn't remember, anyway. Then it means it wasn't important at all. The trip was filled with dead air all throughout. But after the agonizing silence, we finally stopped in front of the doors of my apartment. For a moment there, we just stood and said nothing. The cricket sounds commenced.

He looked down and stared at his shoes. "You should've just invited someone else to watch the movie with you. Eunhyuk, Siwon, Sungmin..." It was as if he was consoling himself with his own statements. It didn't do me any good, though. And I wanted to shove my finger towards his chest, tell him how I really feel, that I'm running out of everything: of time, of patience, of words, of feelings...But he would leave and I don't want him to.

I let my eyes wander on the porch and landed on a special package waiting for me by the door. I advanced towards a bouquet of flowers and picked it up by the ground. There was a small note attached to it. Knowing who it was from made me smile. He had been part of my glory days before, and it was impossible to think he couldn't make me happy at the moment.

"Who's it from?" asked Donghae curiously, coming to a halt on the spot in front of me. I crumpled the paper and hurled it on the ground carelessly. I would have to thank them later. "From Teen Top. The others just arrived from France today." I stated as-a-matter-of-factly before turning to unlock the door. There was no point in lying now.

When the knob gave out a satisfying click, I spun around to face him. "You should go now," I said solemnly. He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "I won't leave unless I know I'm forgiven," he pouted, suddenly turning into a spoiled five-year-old kid. This time, his charms worked half as good as it did before. He closed his eyes and puckered his lips, waiting for a kiss. I leaned closer, eyeing every inch of his face like it will be the last time I would ever have the chance and savoring the moment.

The stars I had wished upon weren't dead, after all. I closed my eyes and inched nearer, anticipating the second our lips would close the distance and meet. Our noses touched and with a few centimeters left, his phone rang loudly. Even with a few hours left, today wasn't really on my side. The man sighed and almost looked furious.

I stood upright and watched as Donghae creased his forehead in annoyance. He nearly stomped his feet. Donghae had his lower lip jutting out, clearly expressing his frustration. To make him contented, I planted a soft kiss against his cheek. "You should go." I repeated and entered through the front door without another word.

Narrator's POV

Donghae leaned against the wall and grumbled about the caller ruining his moment. "Yoboseyo?" he answered quite angrily. It was Leeteuk on the other line, sounding as joyous as ever. "So, what did you get her? Is it a proposal or what?" The leader asked excitedly. "What?" The other scrunched his nose in confusion. "Tell me! No secrets. I'm dying to know!" Leeteuk literally squealed on the other line. "Hyung, I have no idea what you're talking about." Donghae defended as he bent down and picked the crumpled paper by the ground.

He unfolded it with his free hand while holding the phone against his ear with the other. "WHAT? YOU'RE TELLING ME YOU FORGOT HER BIRTHDAY?!" Leeteuk's voice screeched and seemed to seep through the younger's soul. "I gave Sun Hye a bag, okay? I didn't forget!" Donghae protested. He squinted his eyes while grumbling about the dim lamp posts. He shone the light from his phone over the card. 'Happy birthday to Teen Top's best friend ^^ kekeke. We love you~ From the jjang group Teen Top. P.S. Chunji insists you're his baby girl. Sssh! -Handsome Ricky'

"Hello? Donghae? Are you still there?!" Leeteuk called out, snapping Donghae out of his trance. "What did you just say?" He asked absent-mindedly. "Aish. You're really out of your mind. I just said that I was referring to Min Yu and that I don't care whether today is also Sun Hye's birthday or not. I just want to know what you gave Min Yu as a present," Leeteuk explained.

Donghae smacked his palm against his forehead. "I totally forgot," he confessed truthfully. There was a long pause, and he wasn't surprised enough to hear the dial tone on the other line. Leeteuk had hung up on him. He sighed as his back skidded against the cold wall. The paint was peeling and the minutes ticked by. He still had time.

Meanwhile, past the peeling paint and locked front door, the girl kept muttering to herself inside the bathroom. "Don't cry. Just don't cry." But she did though she had no idea why. Her phone was ringing, blaring Chunji's name. There was a person knocking on her door, and she only had to open it to see Donghae. But she wasn't aware. She didn't know.

She was sorry for not knowing. But after how-many-minutes of self-torture, Min Yu went out of the shower and dried herself with a towel. Only then did she realize that she still had her clothes on, and that she had left wet footprints on the carpeted floor. Her phone on the table became silent, not that it rang so loudly mere moments ago.

Advancing to her door, she didn't bother drying herself. Her clothes were soaked and heavy and her hair was damp, matting across her neck in thick locks. As she twisted the door knob, she didn't look the least bit surprised to see Donghae there. "Happy birthday," he greeted almost breathlessly. She replied with a tight smile. "Thank you."

He scrunched his face remorsefully and took a step forward. "Don't say that. I bet you already stabbed me twenty times and buried my corpse under the ground in your imagination. Feel free to yell at me," he stated. And, noticing her appearance, commented, "What did you do to yourself?" Donghae arched an eyebrow questioningly.

Min Yu chuckled. "Apparently, when people turn twenty-four, they forget to remove clothes before taking a shower." She looked up at him. And she wasn't mad. Right now, she didn't need a boyfriend, for that was pretty hopeless and unfortunate even though she had one. He was still her best friend after all. She leaned against the door frame, watching as droplets of water trickled down the length of her arm.

She stared at the floor, as if it was calling her and inviting her to kneel down and beg. "Stay with me tonight, please. Just this once. All you have to do is close your eyes and lay down next to me. You won't have to do anything or say anything more. We don't have to take our clothes off. I'll hold you and do all the talking until I fall asleep. And, if you want to, then you could leave by then," she offered, voicing out her birthday wish.

Donghae opened his mouth to say something, but hesitated. Min Yu nodded to herself while biting her lip, realizing what she had just said. "You want to, but you can't." She heaved a knowing sigh. "It's fine. I totally get it." She pushed on the door to close and lock it and she succeeded even though the man tried blocking the way.

~I recommend you to listen to the song with the link above ^^ I jsut discovered it and it seemed appropriate (though it made me tear up) leave comments! ☺