Chapter 59

Dear Donghae

I Miss You Already - G.Na

Kyuhyun's POV

Day 172

Eunhyuk and I exchanged wary looks. "Please?" Min Yu's knees trembled, as if she was ready to kneel down and beg if ever he says no. And Donghae, being the dumb person he is, kept his eyes fixed on the TV screen like there was no one talking to him. Didn't his parents teach him basic manners? "Sure," he nodded blankly and stood up.

Shoving both his hands inside his pocket, he left Min Yu in the middle of the living room. The girl had a priceless smile painted across her lips and effort was etched on her face as she tried not to jump up and down in extreme joy. Before he walked out the front door, however, he at least remembered his duties as a boyfriend.

Donghae planted a kiss on her forehead, though I bet it felt like a kiss from a dead fish. "I'll wait for you later," she muttered softly, her voice hopeful. And, returning to his attitude-that-needs-lots-of-punching, the man just nodded and spun on his heels to leave. Min Yu looked like she was on cloud nine. "Ya," Eunhyuk nudged her with his foot. "You're blocking the game."

She, without much fight, skipped merrily up the stairs. I cocked my head to where she disappeared and made sure she was out of ear shot. Eunhyuk and I heaved out a sigh. "He wouldn't come, would he?" Eunhyuk surveyed my prediction, checking if it was similar to his. And it seems like we had the same thing in mind. "Min Yu'd be lonely." I shut the laptop close and set it down on the table.

Narrator's POV

He examined each piece carefully, finding the perfect one to fit through the empty space. "Are you sure you'd rather stay here?" asked Chun Hae for what seemed to be the hundredth time. Handing him a tall glass filled with refreshingly cold water, Min Yu sipped from her own cup of Americano and smiled as the thousand-piece puzzle little by little reached its completion -- and her father did it without her help.

Chun Hae shifted his gaze from one jigsaw piece to another in confusion. "Just cause it's Valentine's Day doesn't mean I can't be with you." She handed him the rightful piece he was looking for. "Today is my date with appa~" added Min Yu with a hint of aegyo, and Chun Hae only chuckled. "Are you and Donghae in good terms already?" he asked. "Or did you just choose to spend the day with me to avoid him?"

Now it was Min Yu's turn to snicker. "Are you just saying that because you don't want me here or what?" She let out a sigh after sipping as the hot coffee hit the back of soothingly. Chun Hae rested his forearm on the table and leaned forward. "Guilty people answer questions with questions." His eyebrow arched in time with his statement.

The girl had her head against the wall as she lifted her knee up and hugged it close to her chest. "We're fine." She gulped a mouthful of coffee and swallowed it, the liquid burning her insides as it went down. She picked up a puzzle piece and flicked it over and over on her palm. Her father just sighed. "The cancer girl again, isn't it?"

Min Yu laughed. "Yes, heart disease man." She gazed at her father with affection, thinking -- not for the first time -- that she would rather be broke and penniless than see him lying frail and dying on his bed. "Hmm..." The man brought his chin in deep contemplation. "If I'm not mistaken, Donghae rejected all your invitations for meals together, hasn't he?"

Her face turned serious. "No one's counting but you, you know." She looked away, afraid to meet his eyes even for a fraction of a second, or else all the truth might be revealed. Chun Hae slouched back on his chair gently, careful not to put much pressure on his chest. "I'm your father. And I know, no matter what excuses you say, that you're making it hard for yourself."

Their eyes met for a brief second. "Tell me." The man urged her on. And, though reluctantly, she massaged her temples with her free hand. "It's like his mind is always some universe away, not that I used to get in his head so quickly before. It's like Donghae doesn't hear a word I say, like anything that comes from my mouth is just some senseless blabber that he doesn't bother to listen. It's just..." She cut herself off with an exhausted sigh.

The concerned father cleared his throat. "On a completely unrelated topic, did you know I have a shotgun here somewhere? I'm keeping it for emergency situations like for self-defense against burglars..." He gulped a mouthful of the cold water and wiped his hand with the back of his hand. "It's also useful for hard-to-understand boyfriends..."

"Daaaad..."

"Kidding!"

Min Yu flicked a puzzle piece towards him using her bandaged finger. "He agreed to have dinner with me, so I don't want to eat while seeing him injured." She downed the rest of her coffee and bent down to wear her shoes. "Are you sure he'll come?" His question added more to the ever-present doubt in her mind. Putting one loop over the other to tie a knot, Min Yu sighed. "He will."

Eunhyuk's POV

10:47 pm.

Darn. Who would wake me up at such a disgraceful time? "Coming." I stood up groggily, almost stumbling towards the door. The slower my feet shuffled across the carpeted floor, the louder the knocks are against my door. But it didn't sound like fists rapping against the wood. With heavy-lidded eyes, I twisted the knob open and came face to face with Min Yu.

She flashed a drunken smile and leaned against the door frame tipsily, her knees wobbling and might give out on her anytime. The bottle -- which she used for knocking -- was gripped tightly by her hand. "What do you want?" asked Min Yu. I scratched the back of my head in confusion. "Uhh, Min Yu?" As I spoke, her eyes were unfocused. "You're the one who woke me up, remember? Do you need anything?"

"Oh right." Min Yu held onto the side of my face before her bandaged finger pointed to a distance. "Dinner," she mumbled incoherently and linked my arm through hers. She led me down the stairs, with me almost having a heart attack every time her foot dangled off the step dangerously. Finally, she surprised me with what she had prepared, though it was obviously not for me.

The table was heavily laden with food that could possibly feed everyone in the dorm for three whole days. "You cooked all these?" I approached the feast. Min Yu picked on her injured finger. "Obviously." She sank down on the sofa and flipped through random TV shows that aired at this particular time as I, surprisingly alert and awake, helped myself with late dinner.

"Aren't you hungry?" I offered before starting to munch on everything that seemed appealing, to which she didn't respond. Advancing to the kitchen, I reached up overhead and grabbed a glass. Outside, there was a sound of glass clinking against the center table. I poured myself some water and scurried to where Min Yu was.

"For all the hours I've spent..." she filled a shot glass to the brim with alcohol.”...preparing food he didn't eat." Min Yu lifted the beverage up to and downed it in one gulp. The glass slammed down against the table, threatening to shatter into tiny little pieces, but she didn't care even the slightest bit. Her face looked ashen as she enjoyed her own drinking game.

She tipped the bottle and let the contents flow through the narrow opening. "For all the apologies I've made when it wasn't even my fault." She winced after taking another shot. The vodka must have left raw and her voice raspy together with its bitterness. I settled down on the free space beside her and watched as she almost drowned her system with alcohol.

My free hand instinctively wound around her back. "Take it easy there." I set my overflowing plate on the table next to the half-full bottle of vodka and tried snatching the shot glass from her grasp. Stubborn Min Yu wasn't satisfied and even motioned for me to fill her glass for another round of rantings. Was she speaking another language or did she just slur every word coming from ?

I eyed her intensely, scolding her with my looks. She rubbed her eyes and cursed under her breath. Min Yu tossed the shot glass somewhere else, making me cringe at the sound of fragile material breaking. Her delicate hand stretched out and grabbed the vodka bottle by its narrow neck. She tilted her head back to accommodate all the liquid she consumed as she emptied the bottle in one go.

This, though, had the same fate as the previous shot glass. Min Yu let the brittle glass shatter into uncountable pieces after she had let the container fall from her grip. I shifted my focus on the television screen while she kept her gaze on my untouched food. Seconds after, I was distracted by her sniffling. Next thing I knew, her face was buried on my shoulder as she sobbed.

"Why is your best friend so stupid, huh?" Min Yu sent her fists against my arm, throwing weak punches my way. I only smiled and reached out to put my arm around her. "Donghae can be a little too foolish sometimes," I pointed out. More than twenty years of friendship was no joke. "And I thought long ago that he might end up weeping and drinking by my door. It turns out you'll be the one."

"He's so stupid..." Her head shot up while trying her best not to slur her words. "He's so stupid it hurts." Min Yu held her balled fist to her chest, which tumultuously rose and fell as she cried. Tears streamed copiously down her reddened cheeks. She hit herself angrily, slowly but steadily gaining strength. It was painful -- not to mention pitiful -- to watch.

Making her halt, I pinned her wrists down on her sides. "Why does it hurt so badly?" she questioned with the biggest frown I have seen yet. I stared back at her eyes, sore from crying, and pulled her close while letting her ruin my shirt with her tears. If this was some other girl I was holding (or maybe some girl I just broke up with), I wouldn't have comforted her, not even a hug.

But this was Min Yu, for God's sake. This was the girl who promised to take me to the circus. "Why don't you break up with him, then? That ought to teach him a lesson," I suggested the best idea I could think of, though it probably wasn't the easiest thing to do. "You know I won't leave him unless he tells me to, right?" she sneered even as she cried.

Narrator's POV

About half an hour later, the door burst open, revealing Donghae, who seemed to be as joyful as the girl next to him. Eunhyuk tensed in his seat, and he immediately crossed his arms over his chest. "Hey," greeted Donghae with a slight nudge on his best friend's shoulder. Min Yu, in turn, chomped down on her tongue to avoid from talking, with her head bowed down low to match.

"Why is there lots of food in here?" asked the newcomer while examining each of the food laid out on the table. "Are you hungry?" he turned to Sun Hye, who was busy removing her shoes. "Sleepy," replied the woman before ascending up the stairs slowly. "Good night~" Donghae flashed her a smile before her figure disappeared completely in the distance.

Min Yu's mouth watered at the thought of food. When was the last time she had eaten again? She had especially controlled her growling stomach and reserved her appetite for dinner with Donghae. But since he didn't come..."You were supposed to have dinner with her remember?" Eunhyuk snapped without much ado. The man in question advanced to the kitchen to get himself a glass of water, as if he didn't hear anything.

"Hey, I'm talking to you!" the dancer stood up with his hands clenched tightly, the skin stretched taut over his knuckles and threatened to break through his milky skin. He marched over, angrily, towards where Donghae was standing. Eunhyuk rested his hand on the other's shoulder and forced him to turn around. "WHAT?" demanded Donghae.

"You told Min Yu you'd have dinner with her!" Eunhyuk pointed to where she is. The girl had her head down, afraid for more confrontation. Her fingers intertwined shakily, almost fearfully. Donghae set his empty glass down on the counter like he was the one wronged. "I forgot." He spun on his heels and proceeded to where the food was.

Eunhyuk followed suit. "DON'T YOU KNOW SHE PREPARED ALL THESE FOR YOU?!" he screamed while scolding. Donghae looked over his shoulder, directing his gaze to Min Yu. "You don't mind, right?" he asked, not even apologetic. The girl, though obviously hesitant, nodded curtly with a fake smile to match. "See?" The man pointed out to Eunhyuk as-a-matter-of-factly.

Min Yu got back to her feet and headed to leave. Her lower lip trembled, signaling her near breakdown. "Eat well," she murmured softly, silently wishing she could at least join him. She gulped down and looked back at Eunhyuk, who seemed to be agitated and frustrated at the same time. Min Yu's feet led her to the door absent-mindedly, her feet soundless against the floor.

"Ya, Min Yu-ssi," Donghae called out with an air of authority. The girl's eyes lit up in high expectations, and she hurriedly shuffled to his side. But he didn't even look at her as he spoke. "Don't bother Hyukjae next time. And why are you still here? It's late. Don't you have to wake up early tomorrow?" Min Yu's face fell in sheer disappointment.

She pursed her lips to make her voice as steady as she can manage. "Mianhae." She waited for his reaction, but he waved her off, as if it disgusted him to have her around. Min Yu scurried back to the front door, her original destination, and left as quickly as she could. When the door swung back to the frame, Eunhyuk tensed.

"Babo. WHY DID YOU LET HER GO LIKE THAT? The girl's drunk, for crying out loud!" he screeched, his voice a pitch higher and a tone louder than usual. His alert brain ordered his legs to run after her, just to accompany her home and make sure she was safe. But Donghae held his arm back. "She can manage," he mumbled almost inaudibly.

~SPY MV released :">