Christmas Eve

Dear Donghae

Confession Song from Love Rain

 

Narrator's POV
 
His fist slammed down on the table, making her suddenly cringe at his fury. "Why would you even think of biking at four in the morning?!" Donghae scolded loudly. As he spoke, all the other metal utensils in the kitchen seem to tremble. "M-mianhae," Min Yu responded softly, almost terrified. These was one of the few times when he would really fuss over something, and if he does, her sins were deserving of a somewhat death penalty.
 
"What if you got lost? Or...Or...you got mugged? Do you think I'd be able to help you? Do you think I could protect you when I have absolutely no idea where you are? And why would you leave your phone here at home? It's snowing cold outside, what if you suddenly freeze to death? Don't tell me you didn't know that? You have got to be kidding me," his hands went from high up in the air in frustration down to his face in anger. 
 
"Mianhae," she mumbled while her gaze was focused on him. His hair stuck out in a mess and his shirt was pushed more on his left shoulder, exposing his right. He himself had forgotten it was winter, as if he doesn't mind the bitter cold weather. His determined stance was only supported by his propped up hand on the table, while she was bundled up and seated comfortably on one of the six chairs surrounding the dining table.
 
After seeing her fearful expression, he took a deep breath and watched as his exhale became a steam of warm air. "Look, I'm not mad...just worried. I don't know what I would do if something bad had happened to you. And I'm saying this for your own good, understand?" he tried calmly while slowly kneeling in front to level with her face. They both didn't want to fight over a stupid bicycle. And she wasn't hurt, was she?
 
"I'm sorry," she muttered, unwinding her long scarf as she talked. Min Yu wore it around his neck to keep him warm. He, in turn, smiled at her actions and reached up to plant a sweet kiss on her forehead. "Oppa doesn't like being angry, so don't do anything to make me mad again, okay?" 
 
"He's really grown up, isn't he?" commented his mother by the door, where she and Donghwa have been standing and observing the whole time. "It's obviously because of her," the son added with a curt nod. "If your father had lived to this day, he would be very happy to see him like that," she smiled to herself in contentment. "But I think he already is," the corners of Donghwa's mouth upturned to a smile.
 
Min Yu's POV
 
Day 121
 
The suds popped as soapy water trickled down both my hands. My cheeks, however, still burned from where he had kissed me mere minutes ago, yet I wonder how long the dreamy feeling would last. I heard footsteps from behind and felt a presence beside me not long after. "Oh annyeonghaseyo," I turned the faucet off and bowed a good 90 degrees. "Don't worry. I'll finish off quickly, Mrs. Lee."
 
She gave out a warm smile. "Don't mind me and just take your time. Let me guess," she leaned against the kitchen stove. "Donghae made you wash the dishes, didn't he?" To which I just nodded and proceeded to run the sponge in a circular motion over the used plates. I kept my head down low, afraid to see her reactions. "Aigoo. Don't tell me he always gives you a hard time. Does he?"
 
"NO!" I responded quite loudly. "I mean, no, Mrs. Lee. He's mostly playful and restless. But I don't stress myself with it. He's been like that ever since the first time I saw him," I added truthfully. 
 
"How old are you again?" she suddenly demanded.
 
"Twenty-three," I stammered as I spoke. I spun around slowly and waited for the hit. Her expression was unreadable, but I did it though. "W-what are you doing?" she scoffed and clutched when she saw me kneeling down in front of her. "Mrs. Lee, please don't ask me to break up with him. I know I'm only 23 and perhaps that's very young for your liking. But I SWEAR I'm mature and I could take care of your son for you."
 
"I know you don't think I'm pretty or smart or even rich enough, and that you hate me. I would understand it if you want to slap me harshly in the face and hurl random things at me. Just please don't ask me to leave him--"
 
"What are you talking about?" the motherly figure chuckled and pulled me by my forearms to stand up. "Who told you I hate you, silly girl? Maybe you've been watching one too many dramas back in Seoul, haven't you?" She motioned me to continue my interrupted chore. And, although hesitantly, I obliged and let out a confused sniffle. "Of course I don't hate you. I even think you two make a good match. Don't you think so yourself?"
 
"Well, I do," I admitted shyly. 
 
"If you do, then don't let anyone else tell you otherwise," she stated as-a-matter-of-factly. 
 
"But why do you like me? You could have at least preferred someone better than me..." 
 
"Ah~ you're really young aren't you?" she let out another hearty laugh. "You don't understand many things yet. There will always be someone better, but someone would always think of you as the best."
 
This time, it was my turn to sigh. "You're just saying that because you're his mother. But I know he'll get tired of me soon. Nothing's really permanent. People always leave, don't they?" There was a pause as the whole kitchen wallowed in silence. The dead air only came to a halt after I resumed rinsing the dishes. "They do," she finally answered. "But it doesn't mean they're gone forever."
 
"You must be despising me now after this, now that you realize I'm young and inexperienced," I remained sulking. "Stop saying that!" she exclaimed. "Even though I might have thought he'd rather look for someone older, someone who would take care of him. But I'm even happier that he ended up with you, someone who's younger. That way, he becomes the man his father wanted him to be. He's become responsible and mature -- quite naggy and overprotective, yes -- but it's all in a good way."
 
"And I'm really thankful he never brought a girl wearing skimpy shorts and tight-fitting backless blouses with matching four-inch platforms and two layers of makeup here at our home, or else I would have sent him back where he came from and just talk to him on the phone rather than letting him stroll around in Mokpo with a walking mannequin who calls everyone 'oppa' with their cutesy acts. If he did, I wouldn't show my face to my other friends because it would be utter shameful on my part," she continued. We both laughed at her previous statement.
 
"Okay, I won't bother you now," she had a huge grin plastered on her delicate face. "Thank you, Mrs. Lee," I surprised her with an immediate hug. It was a great relief knowing we get along, and it was one of the two things here in Mokpo I was worried about. Well, the second thing was about Donghwa...but I guess I'll have to deal with that trouble later on. "Just call me omma," she pulled away and patted the top of my head before advancing off to leave.
 
I had to blink multiple times to see if I was dreaming. "See? I told you," Donghae, who must've been eavesdropping the whole time, sat on top of the counter just behind me. "Eh~ why did you listen? That wasn't nice," I commented with a hint of scolding. "I can't help having a good sense of hearing," I could hear him grin widely at his own words, the boosts to his confidence. 
 
"Don't kneel on the floor again. It's dirty...and funny," he continued. 
 
"I just begged your mother not to separate us both and you think it's a joke," I grumbled, offended.
 
"Well see," he skidded off the counter top to stand beside me. "You really don't have to beg. Because the next time someone kneels and begs, it would be me holding a ring and asking you to marry me."
 
Narrator's POV
 
Meanwhile...
 
Leeteuk shuffled through the 14-page report, or perhaps a death certificate in his opinion, in his hands. He took possession of it after Heechul stormed to his house that morning without much invitation. He never really did explain anything though, and only shoved the papers towards the leader before marching out angrily. After reading the first page, he couldn't help but fish his pocket for his phone and call the manager hyung on speed dial.
 
"What is this?" he almost hissed on the phone's receiver. "What is what is?" his hyung repeated as if he didn't know. "You want us to care after a cancer-stricken fan with one more year to live? What kind of madness is that?" Leeteuk's voice could be heard throughout the entire house. "Look, I don't expect you to be involved there 24/7. And besides, you've all been to charity works before, right? So this won't be a problem," the manager explained with an air of authority and a sense of control.
 
The Super Junior leader massaged his temples at the information overload. "Even if I'm not fully in this thing, I don't want to drag the others into this. Eunhyuk's back home with his parents, Kyuhyun's with his sister -- and God knows they're just together physically but his mind is thinking of the video game sale online -- and Ryeowook and Sungmin are having a vacation in Canada with Henry. Why would you disturb us this Christmas?!" 
 
His screeches and shrieks seemed to seep deep into the soul of the person on the other line. "Don't make a big deal out of this, Jungsu. I'll have you know that this fan had been longing to see you guys in person. Look, she--" "YOU MEAN IT'S A GIRL?!?" the idea had Leeteuk cringing in no time. "Yes. She's years older than Min Yu and I don't see any trouble coming your way," the manager continued.
 
"Where's Donghae, anyway?" the older demanded.
 
"In Mokpo, remember? He dragged Min Yu along. They won't be home until the 31st. Why?"
 
"Nothing. It's just that this fan really asked for him."
 
*le mysterious background music plays* Anyway, I'm glad this is my second (?) update this week. Leave comments ♥