Chapter 4

Dear Donghae

Love's Way - SHINee

Chunji's POV

The sunlight bursted in to my room from the window, giving light and warmth to the place. Min Yu squinted her eyes, and I jumped up from the bed towards the glass window to pull down the blinds.

Satisfied with the shade, I walked back and laid down beside her again under the covers. I searched for her shirt, but it was nowhere to be found. Only my long-sleeved clothing was in sight so I picked it up and wore it on Min Yu.

"I don't want," she pushed my hand away as I closed the buttons one by one. "What if one of the members comes in and sees you ?" I scolded. "But it's hot," she brushed her hair away from her face.

"What time is it?" she asked with eyes still closed. "5 a.m. Why?" I answered. "I still want to sleep," she snuggled closer to me. I admired her face, with her eyes closed, her lips tightly pressed together, and her cute nose.

I watched her as she drifted back to sleep. What is she dreaming about? Is she having a nightmare? I thought back and reflected about the past years we've spent together. She made me feel needed and useful for eight long years.

Last night was special...a night spent with her. I looked around me, the closed blinds, the few sunrays that escaped, the dust that dances with the light, and then my eyes fall back to her.

I want to spend the rest of my life like this, just watching her sleep in the early mornings, fixing her clothes, closing the blinds so she won't get distracted by the sunlight, feeding her lunch if she's too busy...everything.

Would it be too soon to ask her to marry me? Does she want even want to marry me? Her arm moved under the blanket and I felt her cling to me. She loves me. She says it so. She told me so.

But I know she was never mine.

I probed my thumb on her soft cheek, and wondered how lucky I am to have her. "What are you thinking about?" she asked. "Do you want breakfast?" I whispered.

"Later. I'll help you," she said. I turned around and faced the bedside table. I opened the drawer slowly, careful not to make noise. I pulled out a small box and closed the drawer again. I took her hand and lifted it up to my face. I pulled a ring out from the box and wore it around her finger.

"Good morning," I greeted, kissing her hand softly. "What?" she looked at her left hand and examined the ring. "Happy 8th anniversary," I rested my chin on the top of her head.

"Is it the first of June? Really?" she asked. "I forgot. I'm sorry," the arms around my waist held me tighter. "You're busy. I understand," I said. "I didn't get you anything," she replied sadly. "You gave me everything last night," I smiled and kissed her forehead.

Narrator's POV

The two rushed down to the dorm kitchen to cook breakfast for themselves and for the rest of the members as well. "AAACK!" Niel screamed, startling the couple who were busy preparing food.

"What's wrong, hyu--AAAH!" Ricky followed suit after the older. The two fearful members covered their eyes. "What the hell is this noi--LEE CHANHEE! Put some clothes on!" CAP scolded. "I'm wearing boxers," Chunji protested.

"We can see that," L.Joe butted in. "Come on, you'll scare our maknae for the rest of his life if he sees you two," CAP ushered the others to sit around the dining table. Min Yu fixed and distributed plates and glasses around while Chunji served the food.

"Where is Changjo anyway?" she asked. "Still washing up. He'll come down soon. Nice ring," CAP commented. "Well..." Chunji shrugged and slung his arm on Min Yu's shoulder.

"Ew. Don't make me lose my appetite," Ricky kicked Chunji's chair.

"Hyung, you know what? I heard noises last night," Niel turned to L.Joe. The latter, in turn, shifted in his seat and acted awkwardly.

"Yeah. Weird noises. Were you playing video games again?" L.Joe winked at Ricky. "No, I wasn't. I also heard the bed squeaking. I wonder what's that about..." the maknae-wannabe rode in the joke. Min Yu blushed deep red but continued eating and said nothing else.

"It was me. I was watching a movie," Changjo said, descending the stairs. Niel and L.Joe grumbled curses under their breaths. "Yah! You ruined the joke!" Ricky bullied the true maknae.

"If you weren't my hyung, you..." "What? WHAT? Continue what you're saying!" Ricky dared Changjo to finish his sentence. "Nothing. Hyung, saranghae~" he did aegyo for the older.

"So..." CAP cleared his throat, blocking out all the noise and gesturing for Changjo to take a seat and eat with them. "Are you two going to get married?" he asked.

The others pretended not to overhear and instead continued eating. For a few seconds afterwards, only the sound of spoon and fork scraping against ceramic plates and bowls could be heard.

"I don't know. Will you?" Chunji smiled and asked Min Yu. She choked on her food and Ricky had to hand her a glass of water to calm her down.

"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT PROPOSAL?!?" Niel commented. Min Yu managed to swallow her food properly and glared at CAP threateningly. She wasn't ready to give an answer.

"Ha...ha...ha...You're so funny," she slapped Chunji's arm while laughing awkwardly. "You don't want to marry him?" L.Joe's eyes widened and leaned forward. "You don't want to marry me?" Chunji's smile turned to a frown. 

"You did it for the first time and you're already pregnant?!?" Changjo stood up and shouted. "Babo. Late reaction," Niel scolded.

Min Yu looked down shyly and ate. "So...?" Chunji waited for an answer. Everyone cocked their heads on one side to listen attentively to the girl's response. "I want to. But not yet," she said slowly.

"And I'm not pregnant!" she defended.

"Not yet..." L.Joe mumbled, earning him a smack on the head by Min Yu.

"So if you were pregnant, you would marry me?" Chunji demanded. "So you're saying you're going to make me pregnant for me to say yes? I'd sue you for and make the news as headlines," she chuckled darkly.

"It's not if you wanted it to happen..." L.Joe snickered again, but this time, Min Yu ignored his comment.

"Who told you this was an engagement ring, by the way?" the member with the power voice turned to the leader. "It's just a gift for our anniversary," he added.

All looked at CAP, who started everything. "I was just curious," he shrugged.

"Baby, you have to eat faster. You're going to be late for work," Chunji reminded, his hand never leaving Min Yu's waist. This time, it was Niel's time to choke. "Why? Did someone propose to you too?" L.Joe joked.

"BABY?!? That's so cheesy, hyung," Niel commented, ignoring L.Joe teasing. "I KNOW RIGHT?!?! Finally, someone who understands," Min Yu raised her hand and gave Niel a high five. "You'll say the same thing when you have a girlfriend. Shut up and let her eat," Chunji scolded his dongsaeng.

"Oh! It's Min Young's first day in school, right?" Ricky exclaimed. "Oh yeah. Why?" she asked when she heard her sister's name. "Nothing. I just wanted to see her," he replied. "Her classes are in the afternoon," Min Yu explained. "Why don't you visit her?"