Auditioning for the Rest of Your Life

Thirteen's a Crowd

The next few weeks passed quickly, yet again. You trained hard for the audition and slept. That was about it. You seemed to be missing almost all of your classes, making you worry about how you were going to catch up after the auditions were over.

Then the audition day was finally here.

You woke up early, careful not to wake up Chanyeol as well. You had three hours until the audition and you needed to get as much practice in as possible. You picked up the bag you already had packed and left the bedroom, shutting the door quietly behind you. After using the washroom and brushing your teeth you went down to the second floor and knocked on Kai’s door to make sure he was up.

“Ready to go?” He asked, opening his door.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” You laughed, “I even brought my ‘good’ ballet shoes for the audition.”

“By good you mean the ones with no blood stains?”

“Yea.” You laughed.

“Same, I opened new leggings too.” He said happily.

“We really are living on the wild side.” You laughed, “How many people are going to be at this audition?”

“Apparently there are almost a hundred of us going in the first round.”

“Wow…that’s a lot.” You sighed. “Alright, lets just get over there and warm up.”

“I’ve never seen your hair pulled back so tight before.” Kai said, motioning towards your ultra tight ballet bun, that you knew was going to bruise you head by the end of the day.

“I need to make extra sure that it isn’t going to fall out. You’re hair is also looking extra greased back today.” You pointed out.

“I am in the same boat as you.”

“Let’s take my car, it’s cold out and I don’t really feel like walking the fifteen minutes.” You opened the front door, letting Kai walk out first, “I need to preserve my energy.”

“Sounds good to me.” He nodded. “I don’t want to walk in the snow if I don’t have to.”

You drove over and quickly found a parking spot in front of the theatre. The hallways behind the theatre were packed with people and their families. Dancers were warming up and their coaches were standing around watching them or helping them, their siblings hugging them good luck and their parents giving them pep talks. You and Kai continued past them to the locker rooms and went your separate ways.

The girl’s locker room was packed and you slid past a group of girls talking to each other to get to your locker. You got ready quickly, double-checking your hair in the mirror.

“Do you go to school here?” One girl asked you.

“Yea.” You nodded, smiling at her briefly.

“You’re so lucky! You must have Mrs. Kim as a teacher then.”

“Yea, how’d you know?” You asked, turning to face her.

“Mrs. Kim is one of the best ballet teachers in Seoul. Her students always make it into the National Ballet.” The girl looked at you excitedly, practically bouncing up and down.

“Well, I wouldn’t get your hopes up on me.” You said nervously. “I would say I’m hardly ready to be a part of the National Ballet.”

“Well if she wanted you to audition you’re doing something right.” She started to turn around to join her friends again, “Good luck today.” She said before walking away.

“Yea, you too.” You said sincerely. You walked back out of the locker room, looking around the hallway for Kai, and you spotted him in the middle of a group of girls, who were all flirting with him, anything but subtly.

 “Hey Sarah!” He called, moving past the girls, “Ready to go warm up?”

“For sure.” You said, smiling at all of the disappointed girls. “You have some fans.” You laughed.

“Uh, yea,” He shook his head disapprovingly. “They should all really be focusing on the audition.”

“You’re so confusing.” You laughed, “All those girls would love to date you and you always complain about wanting a girlfriend.”

“Yea, I know.” He laughed. “We can talk about this later. Lets start stretching.”

Your time before the audition went by quickly, stretching and warming up while slyly eyeing the competition.

“All dancers in the space!” A man yelled from the stage door.

You all filed into the theatre taking a number from a woman standing beside the door, then you each took a place at one of the barres, boys on stage right and girls on stage left. You had the number 34 and Kai had the number 42.

“Hello! I am the head of the Korean National Ballet.” A man said, standing up from the table at the front of the stage. “This is the first stage of the auditions, it will last about an hour, you will be doing some barre exercises and we will go around and everyone who’s number is called at the end will stay in here and go onto the second stage of the auditions.”

You got ready in first position and waited for the instructor to begin calling out exercises.

The first part went by quickly, you think that you did well, there were a couple people that you noticed probably weren’t going to make it to the second round, but for the most part everyone was on an even playing field, and that made you a bit nervous. You looked around for other people in your class, but didn’t see anyone other than you and Kai. You wondered if you two were the only ones to be invited to audition or if the others in your class just didn’t want to. But the latter seemed highly unlikely.

“Okay everyone, that concludes the first part of the audition. Thank you to everyone that participated today! We invite you to all go get a drink and come back in fifteen minutes, just come take a seat in the first few rows.” He bowed shortly and motioned for everyone to leave.

You ran over to leave with Kai, high fiving him.

“I watched you!” you said happily, “You did amazingly! You are definitely getting to the next round!”

“You are too.” He nodded, handing you a water bottle from the table. “All of the girls were staring at you, and some of the guys.” He winked after saying the last part. “They know who you are.”

“Yea, a girl asked if I went here when I was in the locker room and she said that I had a really good chance of making it because I am a student of Mrs. Kim. I guess that goes for you too.” You laughed, “I didn’t take her too seriously. I feel like if I think about it too much there will be way too much pressure.”

“Yea, I don’t like to think about it either.” Kai said, opening the door into the audience for you. You both sat in the middle of the front row, waiting the remaining dancers to come in.

After a few more minutes the head of the ballet walked downstage and asked, “Is everyone here now?” You all nodded and he cleared his throat, “Okay, it’s time to announce who is going to the second round. We have fifty numbers to call and if your number is called we ask you go to fill out a form with my assistant,” He motioned to the girl you got your number from, who was now sitting at a desk on the side of the stage.

Another man came up beside the first and started to call the numbers. You grabbed Kai’s hand, squeezing hard as you held your breath, waiting for your number to be called.

“73…24…15…4…66…”

“Whens he gonna get to us?” You rested your head on Kai’s shoulder and waited as about twenty more numbers passed.

“55, 22, 12, 42…”

“Oh my god!” You hit his shoulder, “That’s you!”

“…34…”

“Holy crap!” Kai sat up, hugging you, “We’re both in!”

“That concludes the numbers.” The director said, “Everyone who was called go fill out their forms and be back in an hour for the seconds round.”

You got up, running up the stairs of the stage with Kai to get your forms. You quickly filled them out and handed them back to the lady, leaving to go to the locker rooms.

“Are you hungry?” He asked on the way.

“Yea, now that I have an appetite again.” You laughed. “I can’t believe this! All your training really paid off! You’re definitely going to get in!” You smiled, “I’m just going to be sad that you won’t be around all of the time.” You pouted, jokingly.

“What do you mean?” He asked, stopping you from going into the locker room. “You got in too, Sarah. You have just a good a chance at getting in as me, if not way more. There’s always way more girls than guys.”

“Yea, but I’m just happy for you, if I don’t get in that’s alright.” You said, smiling and nodding. “I am really happy I got through the first round though.” You assured him.

“Okay, I’ll meet you back out here in five, we can grab some fruit from the cafeteria.”

You went to get your sweatpants and jacket from your locker, trying to avoid the tears you could hear from the stalls.

“Congratulations.” The girl you talked to earlier said to you.

“Thanks.” You said, “Did you get in too?”

“I did!” She said happily, “I’m Eunjoo, by the way.” She reached her hand out to shake yours.

“I’m Sarah,” You said, returning the handshake, your phone started to ring and you quickly pulled it out of your jacket, “Sorry, I have to take this, I’ll see you at the next part of the audition. You answered the phone as you left the locker room. “Hello?”

“Hey! I’m glad you answered, what are you doing? How did the audition go?” Chanyeol’s voice boomed from the other end of the line.

“It went great!” You squealed, “Kai and I both got through!” You met with Kai and walked with him over to the cafeteria while talking to Chanyeol.

“You did? You got in?” He yelled.

“Not in.” You laughed, “Past the first round. We’re just going to get a snack before going back for the second part of the audition. We have to learn a combination and perform for them, and then the people who make it past that do their solo pieces and then we wait for tomorrow to see who gets contracts.”

“That’s a lot of stuff.” He laughed, “When will you be home tonight? I was thinking about making us a celebration dinner.”

“To celebrate what?” You asked curiously.

“You making it to the end of auditions!”

“Don’t hold your breath! I still have to make it through the next part.”

“You will, I know it. Call me when you’re done the next audition. Love you and good luck!”

“Love you too!” You said before hanging up.

Your break went by quickly, and before you knew it you and Kai were on stage again learning the combinations. After learning two combinations you were split into groups of four and asked to do both of them twice before switching to the next group. After going through the groups twice you were all excused again while they deliberated who was going to make the final round.

You and Kai sat in the same seats as before, waiting anxiously for the director to announce who is moving on to the final round of the auditions.

“Alright, you’re all here and I won’t keep you waiting longer than necessary. I know you are all hanging off your seats.” He cleared his through, once again, and started to read the names.

He made it through about seven names before calling Kai’s. You could feel him beaming beside you and you grabbed his hand. You felt like your eyes were going to pop out of your head as you waited for him to call all of the other names.

“Kim Eunjoo…and lastly, Cho Sarah.”

You let out a sigh of relief. You couldn’t believe it. Now that you were at the final round you realized that this is what you wanted to do. You could care less about school; you wanted this contract.

“Thank you everyone! And for the people who made in into the next round, we will post a list of the order you will be performing in. After you are done your solo you can leave and we will be in touch tomorrow at some point. We will be recording your auditions so that we can go over everything.” He gave a nod and a smile and walked off the stage. “Oh,” He turned around, “The solos will start in a half hour.”

“This is so great!” You jumped up and down, your pointe shoes tapping on the floor. “I’ll be right back Kai, I have to call Chanyeol!”

You ran into the locker room quickly grabbing your phone and dialing Chanyeol’s number.

“Hey ba-” He started.

“I GOT PAST THE SECOND ROUND!” You shouted, echoing all over the hallway. “AND SO DID KAI!”

“That’s amazing baby! I knew you would do it! And Kai too, tell him I say congratulations, and tell him he is invited to the celebration dinner tonight.” He said, as he started to speak again his tone lowered, “Then after dinner we can go upstairs and have dessert.”

“Me, you, and Kai?” You asked, teasingly.

“Very funny. No, just me and you.” He said, “That is, unless you want to sit downstairs and play board games with everyone else.”

“No, no, alone time is exactly what I want. I have to go now though, I love you!”

“I love you too, good luck and lots of hugs and kisses!” He said, making kissing noises to you.

“Mwah!” You smacked loudly into the phone before hanging up.

You went over to the stage door to look at the list, seeing that you were fourth to perform right after Kai. You were glad that you were going to get it done so quickly. The more time you had to think about it the more nervous you would get. You just kept your mind on “dessert” later.

* * * * *

You could barely remember doing your solo. You sat in the locker room for about ten minutes just trying to go over it in your mind. You didn’t recall anything bad happening but you were so in shock that it was over that all you could think about was what if they saw something terribly wrong?

You shook the thoughts from your head and changed out of your tights and everything. As you finished getting into your coat Eunjoo came into the room from doing her solo.

“Hey!” She said happily, “I saw your solo, they all looked really impressed.” She said nodding.

“Thanks!” You said, sighing, “That makes me feel a lot better, actually. I honestly don’t remember doing the solo at all.”

“No! Don’t worry about it honestly! You and your boyfriend are definitely getting in.” She laughed, “I can tell when my father is impressed and he was super impressed with you guys.”

“Your father?” You asked.

“Yea, Kim Sunwon, he’s the director of the company.” She said casually.

“That’s insane! Why are you even auditioning?” You asked.

“It’s only fair.” She said nodding, “If I don’t get into the National Ballet here I am going to Paris.”

“Wow, that’s amazing!”

“Yea, dad doesn’t go easy on anyone, even if you are his child.” She laughed, walking out of the locker room with you, still chatting away.

“Kai isn’t my boyfriend, by the way.” You added during a lull in the conversation, you held up your hand to show your ring, but before you could say anything, Kai came out of the locker room.

“I saw your solo! It was amazing!” He said to you, hugging you tightly.

“Thanks! I watched yours from side stage and it was beautiful!” You laughed.

“You guys are such a cute couple!” Eunjoo cooed, “You’re engaged so young!”

Kai pulled away from you, blushing slightly, “Uh, we aren’t engaged.” He laughed, “Sarah’s engaged to my best friend.” He informed her.

“Oh, I guess I we didn’t get to that part of the conversation.” She laughed, hitting your shoulder. “Either way, congratulations! I have to get going but hopefully I’ll see you both around!”

You and Kai stood there are she walked away.

“Who is that?” He asked.

“That’s Kim Eunjoo, she’s Sunwon’s daughter. He’s the director.” You said, sighing.

“His daughter?” He asked loudly, “Why is she even auditioning?”

“That’s what I asked. But she said that it’s only fair. So he doesn’t go easy on her.” You started the walk to the car. “She’s really nice though. She said that her father was really impressed with us.” You told him.

Kai’s face lit up, “Really? She told you that? That’s amazing!”

You both got in the car, turning the heat up all the way, feeling better about the auditions.

“Can you text Chanyeol and tell him we’re on our way home.” You asked Kai, “He said that he is making a congratulatory supper for the both of us when we get home.”

“Great!” Kai said as he texted, “I’m starving.”

“Me too. It’s still pretty early too.” You observed as you looked at the clock.

“Yea, I thought that we would be here way later than four thirty.” Kai said, nodding.

A short five minute drive later, trying to maneuver through the snow, you made it back to the house.

“Iseul’s here.” You said to Kai.

“Baekhyun’s girlfriend?”

“Yea, I don’t know if it’s official yet, but yea.” You laughed. “She’s so nice and cute!” You laughed.

“Yea, she is really nice from what I’ve seen of her.” Kai agreed.


Hey guys! Sorry no Chanyeol in this chapter but the next chapter will be FULL of him. I promise. And I am starting it right now :) Hopefully, if I have enough time today I can finish it by midnight and have it up!

Comment and Upvote! 

Love you all <3