Turn and Face the Strange

Thirteen's a Crowd

Not long after you were lying on a chair with your stomach exposed as the nurse prepped the ultrasound. You were almost hyperventilating.

“It’s going to be fine.” Kai said, smiling. “No matter what.”

“I’m too young to be a mother.” You said quietly. “I can’t even take care of my fiancé…I can’t take care of a baby.”

“That’s not fair. It isn’t your fault.” You were both talking in hushed voices as the ultrasound technician came into the room.

“So how are you today?” She said, sitting down in the chair beside you.

“I think I’ll be a lot better when this is done.” You took a breath in as the cool gel touched your stomach.

“Okay, lets do this ASAP then.” She laughed lightly, placing the transductor on your lower stomach.

You turned your head away from the screen, staring at Kai. He looked down to smile at you for a moment before looking back to the screen.

“Uh…” The nurse started to say something then stopped. She took the transductor off of your stomach and started to wipe the gel from the end.

“What is it?” You turned towards her.

“Well you aren’t pregnant,” You breathed a sigh of relief. “But I would like to do another ultrasound right now.”

“Okay, is there something wrong?”

“I don’t think so, you just have so abnormalities. I’m sure it’s nothing, but just as a precaution.” She smiled reassuringly at you as she lifted the footrests. “I’ll leave you to get undressed.” She closed the door behind her as she left the room.

“I can leave too if you want.” Kai said, rubbing the back of his neck.

“It’s fine.” You got off the chair and wrapped the gown around you before taking your leggings and underwear off. You got back in the chair and motioned for Kai to come over to you.

You hugged him tightly.

“I never thought I would hug you with no pants on.” He laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

“Ha ha, now go tell her she can come back in.” You hit his arm.

The relief of you not being pregnant had washed over you so much that you felt a new sense of joy. Chanyeol was going to be fine, you weren’t pregnant and life was getting better and better.

“Alright, this is going to be kind of cold and uncomfortable, but just for a moment.” The technician said, sitting down in between your legs.

You took a deep breath when she told you and clamped your eyes shut as she did the ultrasound.

“Okay, almost done.” She said after three minutes or so. “I’ve taken some pictures for the doctor to look at. I understand that you are here today because your fiancé is going into surgery.”

“He’s in surgery right now.” You corrected her.

She looked towards Kai questioningly but didn’t say anything more.

“Alright. All done. If you want to get ready you can go eat or whatever for an hour or so and then come back and we will go over your results.” She smiled at you and nodded at Kai before leaving.

“Did you see that look she gave me?” He asked, appalled. “Like a girl has never had a friend that’s a guy before.”

“I know, she looked really irked by it.” You laughed. You got your clothes sorted and you both left to go back to the sixth floor.

“I want to go talk to the nurse and see how Chanyeol’s doing.” You said to Kai.

“Alright, I’m going to go get us something to eat. The food here probably isn’t very good, I can go out and get us something if you want?” He took out his car keys.

“Yea, thanks.”

“What do you want?”

“Can you just get McDonalds or something? I need something comforting to eat.” You asked.

“Of course.” He hugged you one last time. “I’ll be back soon. I’ll meet you back in the waiting room.”

You walked away from Kai down the hallway to the nurses station.

“Hi, could you tell me where nurse Kim is?” You asked the nurse standing behind the counter.

“She just walked away, I’ll page her.” She offered.

“Great, thanks.” You smiled.

You didn’t wait long before nurse Kim came around the corner towards you with a folder in her hands.

“Great news!” She said happily. “Mr. Park is doing amazingly well. There are still a few more hours to go but the doctor is very confident that this will be the end of any episodes. He will, obviously have some headaches as he heals from the surgery but after that they should be all gone. After this he will be in here for a week so we can monitor him and then he will come in for a check up in two weeks, then a few months, a half year, a year, and so on, just so we can keep tabs on it.” She explained.

“That’s amazing! Thank you so much!” You couldn’t help yourself you leaned in and gave her a hug. “I cant even put into words how thankful I am!”

“Do you have any family here with you now?” She asked as you pulled away.

“One of my roommates, Kai, is with me. He’s just getting food.”

“Good, I would hate to have you sitting here alone waiting.” She said sympathetically. “I’ll come back in about two hours and give you another update.”

“Thanks again.” You bowed. You walked back to the private waiting room and took out your cell phone. You had over twenty text messages from the guys giving their best wishes and saying they would come visit when they were back.

There was also a text from Jackson.

From Jackson

Hey! Been trying to call, going to be back in Seoul for a couple days before my flight, hope I can see you before I go home.

You texted him back hastily, wanting to get all this out of the way so you could focus on Chanyeol.

To Jackson

Hi Jackson. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to. Chanyeol is in surgery right now and he’s going to be in the hospital for a week, so I don’t think I’ll have time to see you. I’m really happy you came though and I hope you visit again. J

You sent it and put your phone on silent and in your bag. You didn’t want to talk to anyone, you just wanted to sit and read until your food got there.

You didn’t have to wait long; you only made it through three pages before Kai opened the door with a bag of McDonalds and two cokes.

“Thanks so much!” You smiled, “I’m starving now.”

“So are you and Chanyeol going to move out after you get married?” He asked.

“I guess that’s the logical thing to do,” You laughed, “He actually mentioned to me about moving out at Christmas, but I told him that that’s not a good idea.”

“Not that I want you to move out, but why isn’t it?” He asked through a bite of his burger.

“We’re both going to miss everyone way too much and he would be so sad if he didn’t get to see you guys all the time.” You laughed. “I told him that and I think he knows I’m right.”

“Yea, you are. It would be so weird to not see you and Chan every day.”

“Even when we do move out after we get married we will still be close to you guys. I’ll make sure of it.” You said reassuringly.

“You guys are going to have the nicest house.” He laughed.

“I doubt it.” You said, “I don’t have a job, so that’s gonna be hard to swing. I’ll be happy if we get a crappy apartment with more than one room.”

Kai burst out laughing.

“What?” You asked curiously, putting your food down.

“You don’t actually think he would let that happen?” Kai asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Chanyeol gets money from his dads company every month.”

“I didn’t know that.” You said plainly, not knowing whether to be concerned or not.

“Oh yea, he works and only spends what money he makes working, buying things, paying rent and whatever. But he has a separate account and I can guarantee you he is saving for something pretty big with that.”

“Oh whatever!” You hit his arm. “It’s his money, he can do what he wants with it.”

“And he will.” Kai laughed. “Soon it’s going to be your money too.”

“You’re being ridiculous.” You laughed.

“I wont feel ridiculous when I’m sitting next to your huge in ground pool next summer.”

You were both laughing, talking about your hypothetical house when you’re married.

“I think I’m more excited than you are.” Kai teased.

* * * * *

Forty-five minutes later you and Kai were making your way back to the maternity ward to talk to the doctor about your ultrasounds.

“I’m sure it’s nothing,” Kai said.

“Yea, I know,” You weren’t too worried, not knowing what could be wrong.

“Okay, come on into my office.” The doctor motioned for you and Kai to each take a seat, and then he pulled some images up on his computer.

“So,” The doctor paused for a moment. “I have some bad news.”

“Do I have cancer?” You asked abruptly, it was the first thing that came to your mind.

“No, this is not life threatening.”

“Then…what could it be?”

“Well, I’m afraid this isn’t easy for anyone to hear especially for someone so young.

You have a condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome; this means that the follicles in the ovaries don't develop into the larger, mature follicles that release eggs, preventing you from having children. Now, there are treatments for this but they don’t have a very high success rate.”

Your heart felt like it was going to come out of your chest. You couldn’t breath you felt nauseous.

“Is that everything?” You asked shakily.

“Yes, unless you want to talk about treatment.”

“Uh, not today.” You got up quickly, powerwalking all the way back to the waiting room, Kai trying to keep up.

As you got back to the waiting room you saw nurse Kim come around the corner.

“Oh, Ms. Cho, I’m glad I caught you. I just wanted to let you know that Mr. Park is coming out of surgery now and you’ll be able to go see him in about fifteen minutes. He wont be awake for a few hours but you can sit with him.” She continued on down the hallway. You checked your phone, seeing a missed call from Jackson and another one from Chanyeol’s mother.

“Hi Mrs. Park.” You said, trying to sound more cheerful than you felt, “Chanyeol just got out of surgery and I’m going to see him now. Do you know what time you will arrive?”

“We should be there in three or four hours.” She said.

“Okay great, if he wakes up before you get here I’ll tell him.” You offered.

“That would be great, thanks.” You both hung up.

You pushed the negative thoughts to the back of your mind and made your way towards the ICU. Kai held your hand as you stood waiting outside Chanyeol’s hospital room as the doctors and nurses hooked him up to everything.

A different nurse walked out of the room.

“You must be Mr. Park’s fiancé.” She said coyly, looking towards Kai. “You can go in now. He should be awake in an hour or so.”

You walked past her, bowing slightly.

Chanyeol was lying peacefully on the hospital bed, a bandage over his left ear. He looked so young and peaceful. You wondered if he was dreaming about you again like last time.

“Are you okay Sarah?” Kai asked, coming up behind you.

“You know, the first time this happened and Chanyeol woke up, he told me he had a dream about us…” You paused sitting down and taking Chanyeol’s hand in yours. Kai got a chair and sat beside you. “It was about our future. We were married, and-“ You sniffed, “and we had two kids. A little girl and a baby boy.” You smiled sadly at the memory.

Kai didn’t say anything; he just rested his hand on your knee.

“Earlier today I was really scared about being pregnant and having a baby, but I think that no matter how scary that would have been it would be better than this feeling I have now.”

You and Kai sat in silence. You cried silently as you waited for Chanyeol to wake up.

* * * * *

The time passed slowly and eventually your tears stopped.

Chanyeol started to wake up slowly, turning his head from side to side. You were holding his hand, looking at him hopefully.

When he opened his eyes he looked towards you and then to your hands clasping his, then to Kai.

“I’m in the hospital again?”

“You had a seizure on the bus.” You said quietly.

“My head hurts.” He reached his hand up and touched the bandage on his ear.

“You just got out of surgery an hour ago.” Kai said, “You’re parents are on their way.”

“I’m going to go call them.” You got up, the chair sliding on the floor. You apologized for the noise it made as Chanyeol scrunched up his nose at it and then left the room.

The phone rang five times before Mrs. Park answered.

“Hi, Mrs. Park, Chanyeol’s awake.” You said happily.

“Thank goodness.” You could hear her telling her husband and Chanyeol’s brothers on the other side of the phone. “We will try to be there soon.”

“Okay, see you later.” You hung up and went back into the hospital room. Kai had moved over to the chair you had been sitting in and him and Chanyeol were talking, not noticing that you had come back in.  

You sat down quietly and listened to them for a while, Chanyeol was telling Kai to get our things from the hotel.

“I can go get them Chan, it’s alright.” You offered.

“No, no…I don’t want you to go.” He shook his head quickly before grabbing it in pain.

“She isn’t going anywhere,” Kai said, “I’m going to go now and get everything.” He patted Chanyeol’s leg as he stood up, “Can I have your key for the room?” He asked, turning to you.

“Yea, of course.” You looked through your bag for it and handed it to him.

“Okay, I’ll be back later.” He said, leaving the room.

You moved back over to the chair beside Chanyeol.

“How are you doing?” You asked, leaning on your elbows on the bed.

“I have a really bad headache, but I’m just so glad you were here.”

“Of course I’m here.” You laughed lightly, “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

Chanyeol pulled on your hand and you stood, moving so you were sitting on the bed, leaning so that you rested your arm on the other side of his body.

“I was so worried about you.” You cupped his cheek, remembering his dream again. Your hand fell back down to your side. You sighed somberly, your eyes getting glassy.

“You don’t have to cry,” Chanyeol smiled, I’m right here.” He leaned forward and kissed your nose.

You couldn’t tell him about what the doctor told you, not when he was like this. 


Thanks for reading guys!

I want to give a shoutout to KissMeFanny because their comments always just make my day! and thank you to everyone els who comments, it is really encouraging to see them all :) 

Comment, Upvote and Subscribe <3