Dealing with Feelings

Thirteen's a Crowd

The bus back to the house had a lot less people on it and everyone was tired from the day so you all just sat in silence, listening to music and staring out the window. You were wedged in between Suho and Kyungsoo, and Chanyeol was sitting straight across from you in between Baekhyun and Luhan, who kept trying to show him pictures on his phone. Just like in the karaoke room, every once and a while you would look up and make eye contact with Chanyeol, smiling at one another and then look back down at your laps.

You all filed off the bus near your house, it was starting to get cold out so you pulled your hood up over your ears and shoved your hands in your pockets. You felt a weight on your shoulders. As you turned around you saw Chanyeol wrapping his coat around you.

“You just look very cold.” He laughed hesitantly.

“Thank you.” You smiled. You were walking behind the rest of the group, who was running towards the house to get in the warmth. You took Chanyeol’s hand. This time it was different. Usually when you held hands with him it was to take him somewhere or show him something, this time it was just to hold his hand. Your fingers intertwined and his hand was so big.

“I had a really great time today.” He said quietly, not wanting to interrupt the silence too much.

“I did too.” You said, staring at the group. “I meant what I said, you are a really great singer.”

“Well, whenever you want, I will sing for you.” He smiled, squeezing your hand.

You had made it up to the door, and you let go of his hand. You could tell that he was disappointed, but so were you.

“It’s quite early…” You said, “Do you want to watch a movie?” You asked, still whispering.

“Of course.” He opened the door for you and followed you inside.

As you both got into the living room the guys were telling Kris about their day out.

“…Yea, and then me, Baekhyun and Sarah sang Gee, by Girl’s Generation and Sarah taught us some of the dance.” Luhan laughed, imitating the no, no, no’s in the song.

“Sounds awesome, I wish I could have been there.” Kris sighed, “It would have been a lot more fun than working all day.” He chuckled.

“How was work?” You asked him.

“It was fine, nothing too exciting.”

“Cool. I’m gonna go to my room.” You said, making your way to the stairs.

“Me too.” Chanyeol chimed in, following closely behind you.

Chanyeol went into his room and you stopped on the landing, leaning over the staircase listening to what the guys were saying down stairs.

“Well I think something is going on.” You heard Suho say. “They sang together today and then got super weird around each other.”

“Yea, and when we were walking home, they just walked by themselves, behind the rest of us.” Luhan added.

“I’m sure its nothing,” Kris said calmly, “And even if it is, who cares? They would tell us if they were dating.”

“You think so?” Baekhyun said.

“Well Chanyeol would definitely tell you.” Kris laughed, “You’re his best friend.”

“What are you doing?” Chanyeol asked, startling you and making you jump.

“Oh, nothing.” You said quickly. “Lets go.” You pulled him upstairs to your room and closed the door.

“You’re being really secretive.” He mocked.

“They’re talking about us in the living room.” You said as you went through your closet.

“What about us?” He asked.

You froze for a moment. Did you want to tell him what they were talking about? On one hand if he liked you too it would be okay, but if he didn’t than it would just be really awkward.

“I didn’t hear what they said, just our names.” You laughed, continuing to look through your clothes.

“What are you looking for?”

“My fuzzy sweater.” You huffed.

“Fuzzy sweater?” He asked curiously.

“Uh, yea. It’s this really ugly black sweater with ears on the hood. But its super warm.” You laughed, explaining it. You found it at the bottom of your pyjama drawer and put it on before you left the closet. Your hair hung out from the hood in two braids.

“That isn’t ugly.” Chanyeol cooed. “It’s cute.” He walked towards you and pulled the ears up so they were standing straight. You made a meowing sound and his eyes crinkled as he laughed. “You’re so adorable.” He stopped short, and turned away, walking over to the end of your bed. “So what do you want to watch?” He asked.

“Um…” You were caught off-guard by his sudden change. “Let’s watch something funny.” You suggested.

“Alrighty.”  He began flipping through the movies, reading out the synopsis whenever he saw something you might like.

“You can sit up here.” You offered, motioning beside you on the bed.

“O-okay.” You could feel how nervous he was, and that made you even more nervous, but it was just confirming your feelings. He sat next to you, close, but not touching, and crossed his legs. He was normally very comfortable with you and would just stretch out beside you.

He started the movie and relaxed a little bit beside you. You felt like you were in high school all over again, trying to move closer without being too obvious.

Neither of you talked for the first half of the movie, but every once and a while you could feel him looking at you. You hadn’t noticed how tired you were but with the sweater on you were getting quite warm and it was making you sleepy. You wiggled down so that your head was on the pillow and rolled onto your side so you were facing Chanyeol. He didn’t seem to notice that you were lying down now.

And then you fell asleep.

* * * * *

Chanyeol looked down towards the end of the movie and saw you sleeping. He felt so different now than he had earlier in the morning. He had liked you since you moved in but something had changed. When you were singing together it was like he could see those feelings being reciprocated and he had never thought that you would feel the same way for him.

You stretched your arm out and your hand rested on his forearm, but he didn’t move it. He moved down so that he was lying beside you and just enjoyed lying beside you. He let out a deep breath. It was all going to work out.

* * * * *

The next morning you woke up under the blanket that usually lies at the end of your bed. The day before felt like a dream it was so surreal. Even though nothing happened it felt like it was the start of something.

You hummed Ace as you went to brush your teeth, bobbing your head and smiling.

“You seem extra happy.” Kris said, appearing in the doorway of the bathroom.

“I am!” You said through a mouthful of toothpaste.

“Because of Chanyeol?” He asked.

“I don’t know what you mean.” You said, spitting and rinsing your mouth.

“Don’t play dumb, I heard him sneaking back to his room at four in the morning.” Kris laughed. “If you guys are dating you don’t have to lie to the rest of us. We all support you.”

“Thanks mom.” You said sarcastically. “If you must know, nothing is going on. We were watching a movie and we fell asleep. That’s it.”

“Well maybe that’s all that happened last night but that’s going to change soon.” He winked at you and walked away.

You ignored his comment and went downstairs, still in your sweater and leggings from the night before.

“Nice ears.” Baekhyun said as you flopped onto the couch beside him.

“Thanks.” You huffed.

Chanyeol staggered down the stairs, rubbing his eyes. His hair stuck up in all different directions, showing his ears. You smiled at how dorky and sweet he looked. He sat on the other side of Baekhyun and rested his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Tired?” Baekhyun asked him.

Chanyeol just mumbled in reply, but then suddenly sat up straight.

“Sarah.” He said.

“Yea?” You asked, leaning around Baekhyun to look at him.

“My mother called earlier this morning and asked if we could come back today instead of Wednesday.” He said, “Is that okay, or do you need to be in classes? I told her that I would check with you first.”

“Uh…” You thought about it for a moment. “Yea, I think  that’s fine. When do we have to leave today?”

He looked at the clock, “In about three hours?” He asked, “Is that good for you?”

“Yea, that should be fine. I should start packing now.”  You got up again and went back upstairs to pack your suitcase.

* * * * *

It was two hours later and you were still sitting in front of your half empty suitcase, trying to think of outfits. Chanyeol hadn’t told you anything about what you would be doing during the week so you didn’t know what kind of clothes to pack.

“CHANYEOL!” You yelled, brutally loud.

“One second!” You heard him faintly yelling back. There were loud stomps and then he ran through your door. “What is it?”

“What should I pack?” You asked, motioning towards the piles on clothes around you.

“I thought something was wrong. You were screaming bloody murder.” He said. He walked over and knelt down beside you. “This, this,this,this,this...” He just started picking up clothes and putting them in.

“That’s an awful lot of leggings and plaid.” You stated.

“That’s all you’ll need.” He smiled, “And maybe that sweater.” He teased, flicking the cat ear on the hood.

Don’t worry. It’s definitely coming with me!” You laughed. “So what are your parents like?”

“My mother is very protective.” He laughed. “She babies all of us, and my dad is just really nice. He doesn’t say much so don’t feel like he is ignoring you.” He said.

“All of you?” You asked him.

“Yea, me and my two younger brothers.” Chanyeol stated.

“I didn’t know you had little brothers.”

“Yea, Jae-Hwa is 12 and Yong-Sun is 9.” He said proudly. “They are great.  Kind of annoying sometimes but pretty great.”

You admired the way Chanyeol talked about his family. He had so much respect for everyone, even his younger brothers. Your family didn’t even talk to one another anymore and it made you quite jealous.

“Your family sounds great.” You said, smiling.

“Yea, they are.” He smiled. “The reason we’re going home early is because my parents are going away on business so we are looking after my brothers.”

“Do your mother and father work together?” You asked.

“No, but he is going to Jeju Island so he wanted to bring her along.” He said fondly.

“That’s so sweet!” He kept telling you about his family as you finished packing. “I think I’m done now.” You said, zipping up your suitcase.  

“Great!” He took your suitcase out of the room as you quickly changed and washed your face.

You were starting to get really excited about going to his house. You hadn’t been away from campus since you got to Korea so it was nice to go see other parts of the country. You ran downstairs and went into the kitchen.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun were talking, and as soon as Baekhyun saw you they stopped.

“Are we going to leave now?” You asked.

“Yea, I think so.” Chanyeol answered.

“Do we need to pack any food for the train?” You sat down in between them, as they were still making eyes at one another.

“Uh, no, I already took care of that.” Chanyeol smiled.

“Okay great.” You said, “What kind of jacket do I bring?”

“I don’t really know. Its getting kind of cold out, but if you just bring a normal one and put a sweater under it, it should be fine.” He said, smiling.

“Okay, I’m gonna go get my shoes on.” You left the kitchen and stood on the other side of the door. You knew it was childish to eavesdrop but you couldn’t help but wanting to know what they were talking about.

“So you still haven’t told her?” Baekhyun asked.

“No, I didn’t think I had to.”

“Well she is going to be awfully surprised when she sees your house. I mean, its not every day you stay in the CEO of Samsung’s mansion.” Your eyes widened. Chanyeol’s father was the CEO of SAMSUNG? That was huge! You left the kitchen door and went into the front hall.

I wonder why he didn’t tell me. You thought as you got your shoes and jacket on. Its not a big deal, and I’m going to find out anyways.

Chanyeol came out of the kitchen a few minutes later and got his jacket and shoes on. “Lets go.” He said, taking your suitcase for you.

The bus ride to the train station was quiet. The sun was out and it made your arm warm against the window. You smiled to yourself, thinking about when you were younger.

“What is it?” Chanyeol asked.

“When I was little my parents took me and my brother to Korea for the first time. It was around this time of year. This day just reminds me of that trip.”

“How old were you?” He asked.

“I was seven.” You answered. “It was the last trip we took with my father.”

Chanyeol didn’t say anything. He just took your hand for the rest of the bus ride.

* * * * *

When you got off at the train station you stayed with the suitcases as Chanyeol bought your tickets.

“Our train should be here in ten minutes.” He said, handing you your ticket. He led you over to where the train was and you waited in silence. It wasn’t awkward though, you stood together and you didn’t need to talk. The train came a few minutes early and you waited for all of the people to file off before getting on.

“Where do you want to sit?” You asked.

“Lets get a booth. The ride is around 4 hours so it would be way more comfortable.” He led you down the cars to the end of the train. You looked in each one, but each was occupied. You finally found an empty one at the end of the cart.

“Ladies first.” He motioned you into the booth and put your suitcases on the racks above the seats.

“So are we taking a cab to your house from the station?” You asked.

“Uh, no. We’re getting picked up.” He said.

“I thought your parents were gone?” You asked.

“Yea, they are. But they have a driver so he’s coming to get us.” He was finally starting to tell the truth.

“You have a driver?” You asked, pretending to be shocked. “That’s so cool!” You smiled.

“Yea, it’s alright.” He laughed.

“Your dad must have a pretty wicked job if you have a driver.” You laughed.

“It’s pretty decent.” He smiled. You decided to stop prying. There was a reason he didn’t tell you about his family and that was his business. You moved from the opposite seat and sat down beside him, resting your head on his shoulder. 


Thanks for reading guys!

Can't wait to write the next chapter!! I'm starting it now and it will hopefully be up tonight <3