When You Know, You Just Know

Thirteen's a Crowd

You woke up the next morning to see Chanyeol putting his shirt on.

“Where are you going?” You asked, groggily.

“Just downstairs for a minute, go back to sleep.” He whispered.

You nodded and fell asleep again easily.

* * * * *

You woke up again to see Chanyeol carrying a tray into the bedroom. You looked at the clock to see that it had been an hour since the last time you woke up.

“Breakfast is served!” He smiled, setting the tray beside you on the bed. He sat beside you and handed you a plate, and took one for himself.

“This is so nice of you!” You gushed.

“You deserve to have breakfast in bed every day after last night.” He said seriously.

“Is she still here?” You asked, getting kind of solemn.

“No, there was a note on her door saying that she was going to send someone to get the rest of her things later.” He said.

“Alright, good.” You said, “Let’s enjoy this.” You started to eat but stopped in the middle of a bite.

“What is it?”

“What did you put in these eggs?” You asked.

“A red sauce.” He laughed. He took a bite to see what you were talking about and spit it out into a napkin. “I thought it was sriracha.” He stated.

“Well the toast is fine.” You laughed, taking a bite of it.

“I was thinking tonight I can take you around the grounds. They start setting up for the festival tomorrow so today is our last day without all the rides and stuff.” He laughed.

“There’s rides at the festival?” You asked. “How big is it?”

“Well a lot of people come. There are a few smaller rides and then haunted walks and stuff.” He laughed. “Don’t worry though, I’ll protect you.” He winked.

“Like I need you to protect me.” You scoffed playfully, but you liked that he wanted to protect you.

“You should probably dress really warm.” He stated, as he collected your plates and took the tray. “It’s really cold out today. Maybe you should wear your fuzzy sweater.” He laughed at you as he left the room.

You put on a pair of jeans and your woollen socks and then looked at your sweaters. Even though you knew he would laugh at you, you knew that the fuzzy sweater would be the warmest, so you put it on anyways.  

You went into the bathroom and brushed your teeth and hair, putting it into braids that hung down over your shoulders. You pulled the hood of your sweater up so that the ears stuck up and went downstairs to find Chanyeol.

You could hear him talking on the phone in the living room.

“Yes…no…but you don’t understand…no I don’t want her back in here. I’m sorry Dad.” He was telling them about Lena. You felt badly for him as you could tell he was having a hard time convincing his dad that it was for the best. With a huff he hung up the phone.

You could hear him walking towards the hall where you were standing so you started to walk, pretending that you hadn’t stopped to listen.

“I’m all ready!” You said brightly, posing cutely with your hands in peace signs.

“You put on the sweater.” He laughed.

“Of course! I couldn’t disappoint.” You laughed. “So where are your brothers?”

“They’re at school until 7 tonight so we have the house to ourselves.” He started to walk down the hall and lead you into a room you hadn’t seen yet.

It was a library, three walls were covered in bookshelves without empty space and the other wall, opposite the door, was a window that looked out over their back yard.

You took a deep breath in awe as you looked at the beautiful fall scene. “It looks like a scene from a calendar.” You smiled widely.

“Yea, its my favourite part of this house. I couldn’t imagine having grown up anywhere else.”

You both left the library to go get your shoes on and go outside.

You walked around the house to the back yard, and you ran in front of Chanyeol, kicking up leaves and laughing.

“This is wicked!” You yelled, grabbing a handful of leaves and throwing them into the air. “Come on!” You threw leaves at him and started to run across the yard. It was massive, probably two acres of land, surrounded by forest.

“There’s a trail back here though the woods.” He pointed towards the end of the yard. He caught up to you and took your wrist, leading you towards it.

“Where does it go?” You asked.

“It goes all the way through to this really nice river.” He said.

You walked for a while in silence as you looked around.

“You looked like you have never seen a forest before.” He laughed.

“Well I lived in the city my whole life so this amount of space just for your home is amazing to me.” You explained. “I couldn’t imagine having grass in my yard growing up.” You laughed.

“Having space like this is go great. My dad and I used to play soccer out here when I was younger.” He remembered. “I wish he did that with my brothers.”

“He doesn’t?” You asked.

“No, since he got promoted to the CEO he doesn’t have a lot of time. I’m really lucky that I was a teenager before he stopped spending time with me, cause I still have the memories.”

“So when did he get promoted?” You asked, looking up at Chanyeol.

“When Yong-Son was Four.”

“So Jae-Hwa hasn’t really spent any time with your dad?” You asked, sadly.

“Not at all. And Yong-Son doesn’t really remember either, so I will tell him stories sometimes about my dad.” He smiled.

“So what about your mom?”

“She’s around, but I guess she spends a lot of time out of the house shopping and stuff. I during the summer we all travel with dad for his work so I don’t notice much, but Jae-Hwa and Yong-Son say they are alone with the nanny a lot.” He shook his head.

“How long has Lena been the nanny?” You asked.

“About seven months.” He said, being careful what he said about her.

“So did she travel with you guys this past summer?” You asked curiously.

“Yea.” He answered slowly.

“Where did you go?”

“We were in Barcelona for most of it, and Rome for a while.”

“That sounds pretty romantic.” You stated.

“Nothing happened.” He said flatly. “She flirted with me and I guess I flirted back but nothing happened.” You continued walking, not noticing that Chanyeol had stopped behind you. You looked back, walking towards him.

“Well you don’t like her anymore.” You said. “The past is the past and you can’t do anything about it.”

“You believe me, don’t you?” He asked.

“Of course I do.” You said. “You have never given me a reason not to trust you.”

A breeze moved through the forest and you shivered. Chanyeol stepped forward and put your hood up, smiling at your flushed cheeks.

“Come on, we’re really close and I have something I want to show you.” He took your hand again and led you further down the path.

After about five minutes you could see a waterfall in the distance.

“I thought you said it was a river?” You asked.

“Well it is, there’s just a water fall also.” He laughed. You made your way into the clearing and he took you over to a large boulder beside the waterfall.

“So when my parents bought this land it was a very poor part of Busan.” He said. He sat down on the ground and you sat down beside him, resting your head on his shoulder and listening to him tell you the story. “They just had this land and a very small house, where our house is now.” He wrapped his arm around your waist. “They were newlyweds, my mother was twenty-two and my father was twenty-four. They didn’t know each other well before they got married, since it was arranged. But according to my grandmother when they got this house they fell in love. Sometimes I can still see that in them, but they’ve grown comfortable and familiar.”

You enjoyed listening to Chanyeol talk about his parents. He pulled you over so that you were sitting in between his legs.

“So,” He continued, “One day they were out walking around the forest when they found this waterfall. It became their place. They would have picnics here during the summer, or just spend time together. One day they carved their initials into the boulder.” He moved away some moss and you could see it.

Together forever.

“My grandmother showed this to me when I was very little.” He said. “I remember that it was really sunny that day and she took me here so I could go swimming. She called me over here and showed it to me. ‘Do you know whose initials these are?’ she asked me. When I shook my head she told me they were my parent’s and she told me about how they grew to love each other.”

He took your hand, intertwining your fingers with his.

“I have spent my whole life coming down here and wondering if I will ever find someone that I would love forever.” He let out a breath. “Until recently it felt like it would never happen.”

“Recently?” You asked, speaking for the first time since he had started telling the story.

“About September.” He smiled. “My grandmother always reassures me that when you know you just know.”

You just listened, looking at the boulder with his parent’s claim of undying love.

“She’s right.” You laughed quietly. It was cold out, but it suddenly felt so warm as you sat in Chanyeol’s arms.


Thanks for reading guys! I know its kinda short and sappy but I really enjoyed writing this one. 

Comment upvote and subscribe <3