A Very Long Night

Thirteen's a Crowd

3 am

You had been sitting in the waiting room for an hour. Chanyeol’s parents had left almost as soon as you had arrived to talk to the doctors. Kai, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and Sehun sat with you.

-Flashback-

You sat up waiting for Chanyeol until eleven thirty before you decided to go to sleep. You felt like you hadn’t been asleep for five minutes before the lights flicked on in the room and you sat up, expecting a drunk Chanyeol to be standing in the doorway.

It was his mother.

“Get up.” She said. She had tears streaming down her face. “We have to go. Chanyeol is in the hospital.”

Your stomach dropped and you felt like you were going to be sick. You got up and put a sweater on, not bothering to change out of your pajama pants.

“Let’s go.” You said, “I’m ready.” You grabbed your cell phone and followed her out to the car. “What happened?” You asked her.

“We don’t know. We got a call from Kai to meet them at the hospital. Baekhyun was in the ambulance with him. He said they would explain when we get there.”

Mr. Park was driving outrageously fast, swerving all over the road trying to get around people. Your stomach was already upset and you could feel yourself trying to hold back throw up as the car came to an abrupt stop.

You could see Sehun and Kai standing outside the emergency doors. You all got out of the car and went over to the boys.

“What happened?” Mr. Park asked.

“We were all drinking. Chanyeol was so drunk and he started to play around. He was walking on the parking rail and he fell. He hit his head on the way down and he was unconscious.” Kai said quickly. He then lead Chanyeol’s parents inside to talk to the doctor. You just stood with Sehun.

“Do you think he’s going to be okay?” You asked Sehun, hoping that he would lie to you and say yes.

“Chanyeol loves you so much he wouldn’t leave you for anything.”

Hearing Sehun say that brought you to tears.

“He’s gonna be fine Sarah.” Sehun said, taking you by your shoulders. “I’m not lying to you. I know he is going to be okay.”

“Its all because we fought.” You cried. “I was so mean to him and he was so upset. Then I just left…I never should have left.” You let out a loud sob and leaned in to Sehun’s chest. “I’ve just let him down.”

He led you inside as you continued to cry into his shirt.

-End of Flashback-

Baekhyun touched your hand to get your attention.

“Do you want a coffee?” He asked quietly.

You shook your head no. Your eyes were tender and they burned. Your throat was on fire from all of the stomach acid. You had thrown up a few times and you could feel it constantly, like if you got any more bad news you would explode.

“Maybe just water.” You whispered. He nodded and he got up to go to the vending machine.

You rested your head on Kai’s shoulder, linking your arm with his and taking his hand.

“Kai,”

“Yea?”

“What if this just wasn’t meant to be?” You asked.

“What wasn’t meant to be?” He asked, confused.

“Chanyeol and me.” You said softly. “So much has gone wrong since I’ve come here.”

“Don’t ever say that you aren’t meant to be.” Kai said sternly. “It would break his heart to hear you say that. Chanyeol would never give up on this.”

“I just feel so guilty.” You said. “He feels like I don’t love him as much as he loves me, but he’s wrong. I have never felt this way. For god’s sake I’ve only known him two months and I would die for him. I would die for him to be okay.” You started to cry again. You sniffled and wiped your eyes. You were so tired of crying.

“He is going to be great. And he will get better and it will all go back to normal.” Kai assured you.

“I need to see him.” You said. “His parents should have been back by now.”

Baekhyun came around the corner, running over quickly.

“I just ran into Chanyeol’s parents.” Everyone leaned forward. “He has internal bleeding in his head and he is in surgery.” He said.

“Is he going to be okay?” You asked anxiously.

“Well, they said they wouldn’t know until after when he’s stable.” Baekhyun was kneeling down in front of you. He opened the bottle of water and handed it to you.

You could see how much you were shaking as you tried to move the bottle to your mouth. You were so embarrassed at how much of a wreck you were.

“You should all go home.” You said to them. “You guys should get some sleep.”

“We aren’t going to leave you here.” Kyungsoo said, smiling lightly.

“He’s right. You are our family.” Baekhyun took your hand.

“Thanks guys.” You said in between sobs. “I cant even put into words how grateful I am for you guys.”

They all insisted on you trying to sleep so you stretched out across the bench with your head on Kai’s lap and your legs draped over Kyungsoo’s legs. You did sleep a bit, but it was very uneasy and you woke up with a start every time you heard even the smallest noise.

* * * * *

You got up after an hour of trying to stay asleep and went to get some fresh air. You stood in the frigid cold, breathing deeply in and out. Even though it was so cold out you could feel yourself getting warmer as your worries started to creep back up on you.

You went back inside the hospital and went over to the reception desk.

“Who do I talk to about a surgery that’s going on?” You asked.

“Well you have to go to the wing and find out from one of the staff there.” The man said.

You didn’t reply and went to the elevator, going up to the third floor. It didn’t take you long to find Chanyeol’s parents.

“Any news?” You asked, sitting next to Ms. Park.

“Not really.” She said. “A nurse came by a little while ago and said that they are finishing up and that he should be in the ICU within the hour.”

“So the surgery went well?” You asked, leaning forward eagerly.

“They think so. But it all depends on him waking up now.” You could hear that she was going to start to cry again and you took her hand trying to offer some comfort.

“I am so scared, I don’t know what I’ll do if he doesn’t get better.” You said. “I can’t imagine what this must be like for you.” A tear fell from your eye and you wiped it away quickly.  

“No matter what, you are part of our family.” She said, looking at you for the first time. “He loves you and you have made such a noticeable difference in him and we couldn’t thank you enough for that.”

You sat with them and soon you could see a bed being rolled down the hallway. You got up with Chanyeol’s parents and went to talk to the doctor.

“Good news!” He smiled. “He is stable right now and the swelling is starting to go down already. We have him asleep right now but we should be waking up in the next few hours.

“Thank you.” Mr. Park said, shaking the doctor’s hand.

You went downstairs to where the guys were sleeping to tell them that Chanyeol was out of surgery and found them all awake and talking.

“Where have you been?” Kyungsoo asked, standing up.

“He’s out.”  You smiled, “They are bringing him to the ICU now.”

“Are his parents with him?” Baekhyun asked.

“Yea, they have to leave soon. The boys will be getting up for school and they want to go and tell them what happened and bring them here later in the day to see Chanyeol.” You explained. “Only immediate family is allowed in the room with him.” You said quietly.

“They won’t let you in?” Kai asked, “That’s ridiculous.”

“I know, and I don’t want him to be alone.” You said.

Just as you said that Chanyeol’s parents came into the waiting room.

"That’s for coming boys,” Ms. Park said, smiling lightly at everyone. “We’re going home to talk to Yong-Son and Jae-Hwa, we’ll be back later. You should all go home and get some sleep.”

You all said good bye and you told them that you would get a ride home with Baekhyun later.

“Come with me.” Baekhyun said.

“They aren’t going to let me in.” You said as he took your hand.

“We’ll be back in a bit guys.” He said to the group as he pulled you away, “They would if you were his fiancé.”

* * * * *

After going through several nurses to find Chanyeol’s doctor you finally were able to talk to him.

“Is it alright if I see him?” You asked.

“I’m sorry, only immediate family can go in.” He said, glancing from you to Baekhyun.

“I’m his fiancé.” You said, “I would really like to see him.

“His fiancé? His parents didn’t say anything.”

“Its very recent. Just days.” You said. “Please let me see him.” Your eyes were watering as you asked over and over again.

“Okay. I’ll put you on the visitors list so you don’t have any more problems visiting him.” He smiled and left you and Baekhyun standing in the hall.

He walked you over to Chanyeol’s room and you both stopped outside the door.

“If you need anything, we’ll be in the waiting room.” He gave you a hug. “Remember, he loves you.”

You took a deep breath and nodded, smiling at him before you entered the room. You looked back at him once more before the door closed and he gave you two thumbs up.

You walked over to Chanyeol’s bed and just stared at the bottom by his feet. You were scared to see what he looked like. You walked up the side of the bed, dragging your hand up his leg and then took his hand. You couldn’t bring yourself to look at his face. You couldn’t bear to think of what might happen.

You took a chair and pulled it over beside the bed, so you could sit with him. You finally looked up at his face and it scared you how peaceful he looked. He had a bandage wrapped around his head but his face looked like it was as calm as ever, like when he looked at you. You fell asleep with your head on the side of the bed, holding Chanyeol’s hand.

* * * * *

It was two hours later when you woke up, a headache over your right eye from lack of sleep. You sat up and looked at Chanyeol, still in the same position. You his hand, humming My Everything, the song he always sang to you. The lyrics seemed more real than you cared to think of.

It was 6:30 in the morning and the nurse had just come in to check on Chanyeol, making small talk with you while she worked.

“Congratulations.” She smiled.

“Thanks.” You said, holding your hands together. “I don’t feel like I should be celebrating though.”

“He’s smiling.” She said, nodded towards his face. “He looks very peaceful. He will be fine.”

“How do you know?” You asked.

“Because he has someone to live for.” She looked up at you and smiled as she filled out the charts and and left the room.

You squeezed Chanyeol’s hand, “I love you.” You said.

* * * * *

You fell back to sleep, but you were woken up by a call.

“Hello.” You said.

“Hey, Its Kai. Sehun and Kyungsoo are going to get some food and we were wondering if you wanted anything.”

“No, that’s okay. I’m not hungry. Thanks though.” You said goodbye and hung up the phone.

You sat back down and took Chanyeol’s hand. You laid his hand down flat on top of yours and traced his fingers. Then you felt him move.

You looked up to see him turning over to face you. His eyes opened slowly and he stared at you for a moment. You held your breath, praying that he would remember you.

“Sarah, why am I in the hospital?” He asked groggily.

“You hit your head last night and you had to get surgery.” You said. You were smiling and crying as you talked, but you didn’t care.

Chanyeol sat up slowly, “Why are you crying?”

“I’m just so happy that you’re okay.” You said, wiping your eyes with your sleeves.

“Where are my parents?” He asked.

“They’re at home with your brothers. They are going to bring them in later to see you.”

“Don’t I get to go home?” He asked.

“Not for a few days.” You said. “You had internal bleeding in your head and you were in surgery for quite a while.”

“Will you sit up here with me?” He moved over a bit so that you could get on the bed.

“Of course.” You got on and sat facing him. He took your hands and brought them up to his mouth to kiss them. “I had a really nice dream while I was asleep.” He said.

“What was it about?” You asked.

“Us.”


Hey guys! This was a super hard chapter to write. I wanted to put it in but then i was like noo but i think the ending of it made it alright. I couldnt bring myself to drag it over chapters and chapters.

Thanks for reading <3 

Comment, upvote and subscribe!