A Palace

Thirteen's a Crowd

You both slept on and off for the first half of the train ride. You ended up stretched across the seat with your head on his lap, and his head resting against the window, his arm draped over your waist.

You could feel him twitching every once and a while, stirring you from your sleep. You decided you couldn’t sleep any longer so you put your headphones in, and played a game on your phone, still lying in Chanyeol’s lap.

After a while you felt him waking up.

“Did I have you pinned down?” He asked, lifting his arm. “I’m sorry!”

“It’s alright,” You said, pulling his hand back down. “I’m comfortable like this.” You continued playing your game as you rested on his lap.

Chanyeol took out one of your headphones and put it in his ear to see what you were listening to. His face was confused at first but then he started to like it.

“You listen to so many different types of music.” He commented.

“Yea,” You laughed, “I’m just in that mood.” You laughed. You were listening to Vivaldi’s Four Seasons Winter symphony. It was just that time of year.  

You sat up, “How much time do we have left?” You asked.

“About an hour and a half.” He said, checking his phone.

“What do you want to do?” You asked.

“We can play truth or dare?” He suggested.

“Okay, but you cant only choose truth.” You warned.

“Hey! I’ll play fair!” He laughed. “Besides, I would be more worried about you. It was my idea anyways.” He laughed.  

“Okay, since it was your idea, you do first. Truth or dare?”

“Dare.” He smirked.

“Go walk down the hall, opening the carts and asking if anyone has seen you mother.” You laughed.

“That’s so immature.” He said, getting up.

“I never said I was going to be mature about it.” You said simply.

He huffed and left the cart. He walked hesitantly into the next one and opened the door. He asked in a scared voice, “Have you seen my mum?” You could hear the people talking and you laughed. Your head was just stuck out of the cart watching him.

He walked back to the cart quickly after going to six others. “Are you happy?” He asked, closing the door behind him.

“Yea,” You snorted as you laughed. “I could hear that one guy yelling at you.” You squealed out.

“Lets stop talking about me, its your turn!” He yelled, “Truth or dare?”

“Truth.” You smiled cheekily.

“Okay…” He thought for a moment, “How much do you like me?” You could tell where this was going and you blushed.

You showed an inch with your fingers. “This much.” He frowned. “I’m just kidding,” You spread your arms out as wide as they could go. “This much!” You laughed, stretching out.

He smiled widely. “Okay I choose truth too.”

“Alrighty then. The first dare too much for you?” You teased. “Why did you invite me to come with you to your house for the break?” You were think you were going to get a light-hearted answer but you were unprepared for what you got.

“Well, honestly, because I really like you. I didn’t want to see you being alone over the holiday and I felt like this would be a way for us to be even closer.”

Forgetting the game you asked him, “Aren’t we close already?”

“We are, but I want you to see where I grew up and meet my family. I think that’s really important.” Your heart was melting as you listened to him talk.

“That’s so nice of you.” You moved closer to him and kissed him on the cheek. “I really like you too.” You smiled.

You could see Chanyeol let go of his breath.

“Were you worried about that?” You asked him, surprised.

“Well, sort of.” He chuckled. He rubbed the back of his head. “You are a very confusing girl.” He stated.

“I am not.” You retorted. “I thought it was pretty obvious. I mean, how could I not after everything you have done for me. You have helped me so much, I can’t even put into words how amazing you were that night and how much better you made – make me feel. I don’t know what I would be like without you.” You could feel your eyes welling up a little bit as you told him how much you appreciate him.

“Please don’t cry.” He said, pulling you towards him. “If you cry I’m going to cry. Just thinking about that night and the state you were in makes me upset.” He rubbed your back and kissed the top of your head.

So it was all out on the table now. After karaoke you guys had had a feeling but now it had been said. You liked one another. But it made you feel good that that is it. There was no talk about moving things forward yet, or dating. Chanyeol really understood how you were thinking about things and that made you feel better about him knowing your real feelings for him. 

“Thank you.” You said wrapping your arms around his waist.

“For what?” He asked, pulling away a little bit to look at you.

“Telling me the truth, and not trying to rush anything.”

“I’ll wait as long as you need.” He smiled.

You sat holding hands, and talking about the past few months for the rest of the trip. Time went by quickly and before you knew it you were getting off the train and walking out to the front of the station.

Chanyeol led you over to the parking lot where a middle-aged man met us.

“Hi Kyung-Jae!” Chanyeol ran up to the man and gave him a hug.

“Hello Chanyeol!” He answered, happily returning the hug. “How has school been?”

“It’s been great.” Chanyeol pulled you forward. “Kyung-Jae, this is Sarah!” You bowed to him but he waved his hands.

“No no! No need to bow.” He smiled. He took both of your suitcases and put them in the trunk of the car. He opened the back door and Chanyeol got on first, sliding over to make room for you.

You got in and said thank you to Kyung-Jae as he closed the door. You looked around the car in Awh.

“This is so nice!” You cooed. “These seats are so comfortable!” Chanyeol just sat and laughed at you as you pointed out features of the car.

“When did mum and dad leave?” Chanyeol asked Kyung-Jae.

“I dropped them off at the airport on my way to get the two of you.” He answered.

“So where are Jae-Hwa and Yong-Sun?” He asked.

“They’re at home with the nanny.”

You looked at Chanyeol with raised eyebrows. “You have a nanny?” You asked.

“Yea,” He said slowly. “We’re almost home!” He said turning to face the window. That’s our street over there.” He said, pointing on the left side of the car.

Kyung-Jae turned down the street and you were greeted by a gate. He punched a code into a keypad and drove in. Your eyes widened as you saw all of the houses. They were massive and so high tech looking.

As the car pulled into another winding driveway your heart started to beat quickly with excitement. The house came into view and your mouth dropped open.

The house was covered in windows with lightwood panelling and a heavy double door into the entryway.

“This house is a palace.” You breathed out. Chanyeol just smiled at you as you continued to talk about the house. He opened the door for you and you walked into the front entryway. You could hear two pairs of feet stomping down the stairs and then two boys running towards you. They stopped short when they saw that you weren’t Chanyeol.  

“Who are you?” The older one asked.

“I’m Sarah, Chanyeol’s friend from school.” You smiled at them.

“Are you his girlfriend?” The younger one piped up, moving towards you. 

“Not yet.” Chanyeol said from behind you, laughing. The boy’s faces lit up as they saw him step around you. They ran and jumped on him, pulling him onto his knees and hugging him.

“I missed you guys!” Chanyeol said, continuing to hug them. “Jae-Hwa you got so big over the last few months.” He observed. “And Yong-Sun, you are so manly now!” The younger one blushed and took Chanyeol’s hand. They led us through the house and into the kitchen.

“We made you hotteok.” Yong-Son said through his hand.

“You did?” Chanyeol asked, walking around the island.

“Well, Lena-noona did.”  Jae-Hwa said. “Here have one.” He pushed the plate forward and Chanyeol took one, splitting it in half for you to have some. You both took bites and your eyes lit up.

“I think this is the best hotteok I’ve ever had.” You smiled.

“Yea, Lena is a really good cook.” Chanyeol laughed, and right on cue a tiny girl walked into the kitchen from the back door. She had her hair in a cute bun with a bow on it and was wearing leggings with a big jumper over it.

“Chanyeol!” She squealed. The girl ran over and hugged him.

A cousin maybe? You thought.

“Hi Lena.” Chanyeol smiled, hugging her back.

This was not what you pictured. You were imagining Lena to be a middle-aged woman, not a girl barely out of high school.  

Lena pulled away from him and faced you. “Hello Sarah-ssi.” She smiled, bowing her head a bit.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you.” You bowed your head to her as well.

“How old are you?” She asked.

“I’m twenty.” You answered.

“Ahh, she is younger than you.” She said to Chanyeol, smiling. “It’s so nice of you to bring her home with you.” She smiled, slyly eyeing you up and down.

“Well she’s my girl.” He laughed, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. The boys made faces at their brother and you could see Lena’s face sour a little bit. Chanyeol steered you out of the kitchen and towards the staircase.

“I’ll show you your room.” He took your hand and led you up the stairs. He walked down the hall a ways and then turned into the room on the right.

He opened the door and let you enter first. The room was huge. It was painted wine red and had a king sized bed in the middle of one of the walls. All of the furniture was mahogany and very oversized.

“This is where I’m staying?” You asked, smiling widely.  As you walked in you noticed a wide screen television and an Xbox in one of the bureaus.

“Do you like it?” he asked, following you into the room.

“I love it!” You laughed, flopping down onto the bed. “Where’s your room?” You asked.

“I’m across the hall.”

“I bet your room is so amazing if this is the guest room!” You laughed.

“This is actually my room. I’m taking the guest room.” He smiled.

You sat up immediately. “You really don’t have to do that.” You stated. “I can take the guest room.”

“No.” He insisted. “I want you to take my room.” He sat down beside you. “This is much more comfortable than the guest room, and we will hang out in here most of the time anyways.” He assured you.

“You’re really sure you want me to stay in here?” You asked.

“Yes. I am sure.” You both lay down on the bed, you just taking the room in and Chanyeol just enjoying your company. You turned to face him and breathed in. The smell of him was all over the bed sheets and it was comforting.

“I don’t think Lena likes me very much.” You said quietly.

“Don’t be ridiculous, she does.” He laughed.

“Well she really likes you.” You mumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing.” You smiled at him, “It’s just so nice to be here.”


Thanks for reading guys! You are all making this story very enjoyable to write and I love hearing all of your feedback!

comment subscribe and upvote! <3