Old Friends

Thirteen's a Crowd

You pulled Chanyeol through store after store looking for bedroom furniture that best matched the dressers you currently had in your room.

“This is hopeless Sarah.” He huffed, falling down onto a sofa in Ikea.

“We’ll find something.” You took his hand and helped him up, giving him a reassuring smile. It had already been four hours and you hadn’t seen anything close to what you wanted.

“Are you hungry?” He asked you.

“Yea, a little bit. Can we go to Crate and Barrel and then go eat?”

“Just one more store, right?”

“I promise.” You smiled.

You walked across the parking lot into Crate and Barrel, Chanyeol sauntering behind you.

You walked around not really paying attention to where Chanyeol was, until you saw the nicest bed set. The furniture was black and grandeur. You stood staring at it for a while, imagining how nice it would look in your room.

Maybe someday, you thought. 

“I finally found you.” You heard Chanyeol say as he came up behind you.

“You should have kept you.” You teased, still looking at the bed set.

“That’s really nice.”

“Yea, I love it.” You sighed. “We don’t need all that though. Lets just go eat we aren’t going to find anything today.”

“Alright.”

“I just have to go use the washroom, I’ll meet you at the front of the store, okay?”

“Okay,” Chanyeol kissed your cheek and you went to find the washroom.

* * * * *

You and Chanyeol found a little restaurant that was serving bibimbap so you decided to eat there.  The restaurant was practically empty; there was only one couple there other than the two of you.

“This was such a good idea.” He smiled, taking a large bite.

“I know, I love it so much.” You said, stealthily taking several pieces of meat in your chopsticks and shoving it into your mouth.

“You know its called bibimbap because you’re supposed to eat the bap (rice) too.” He said.

“What do you mean?”

“I saw that huge bite of meat.” He laughed, taping his nose.

You smiled wryly and took another piece of beef, but put it on his plate for him.

“Awh, thanks, you treat me so well.” He said sarcastically. 

“I try.” You blew him a kiss from across the table and continued to eat.

“I was thinking, when do you want to have the wedding?” Chanyeol asked out of nowhere.

“I haven’t really thought about it.” You admitted.

“You have to have had a childhood fantasy about your perfect wedding.” He said.

“Well…yea.” You blushed thinking about it. “But it was hardly realistic.” You laughed.

“What was it?” He asked, leaning towards you.

You sighed then started, “Well it was summer and the wedding was happening in Notre Dame.” You looked at Chanyeol’s expression and you gave him a moody look. “See? I told you it was unrealistic.”

“Yea, Notre Dame might be a little bit hard, but summertime is doable.” He winked at you.

“Okay, summertime.” You smiled. “We’re already halfway there.” You joked.

“You know what this means?” He asked.

“What does it mean?” You asked, looking at him curiously.

“We have officially started planning our wedding.”

“Wow.” You took a deep breath. “On second thought, I feel like we have so much more to do.”

“Let’s not worry about it right now. Let’s finish eating and then go shop a bit before we go home.” He suggested.

“Yea, that sounds like a good idea.”

Chanyeol paid the bill and you both got on the next bus to the mall. Being Saturday, the bus was crowded and you were wedged in between a group of teenagers and a mother with her baby.

“How many stops?” You asked Chanyeol, who could see the route map.

“Only three more.” He smiled down at you. Everything felt so familiar to a few months ago when you had first met. Your heart beat quickly remembering those times.

You suddenly felt your phone vibrating in your pocket. You reached awkwardly to get it so that you could answer.

“Hello?” You said into the phone.

“Hey, its Kris.”

“What’s up?” You asked, wondering why whatever he was going to say couldn’t wait.

“You guys should probably head back now.” He sounded stern.

“Why?”

“A guy named Jackson is sitting in our kitchen and he is really adamant on seeing you.”

“We’ll be there soon.” You hung up the phone and looked at Chanyeol shyly. “We have to go home now.”

“Past your curfew?” Chanyeol laughed.

“Uh, no.” You laughed hesitantly, “That was Kris. He said I have a visitor waiting for me.”

“A visitor?”

“Jackson.”

* * * * *

You were walking back to the house from the bus stop a half hour later, walking quickly ahead of Chanyeol who had been pouting and sulking since you told him Jackson was there.

You looked back at him to see he had stopped and was leisurely tying his shoelace.

“Hurry up.”

“It’s not like he has anywhere to go.” He countered, “Not like he flew halfway around the world to see you.” He made a face as he stood up and you rolled your eyes at him continuing to walk towards the house.

You entered in front of him, not bothering to hold the door open, as Chanyeol was fifteen paces behind you. You took your shoes off slowly and took a deep breath, steadying yourself. You walked quietly through the living room and into the kitchen were Kris and Xiumin were sitting with Jackson.

Xiumin noticed you first. Jackson had his back to you and Xiumin nodded in your direction for him to look at you.

Jackson didn’t say anything; he just stood up and smiled at you. He walked over slowly and hugged you. You didn’t know how to react, so you hugged him back lightly, looking towards Kris with a “what the ” kind of look on your face, he just shook his head.

Both Kris and Xiumin left the kitchen so that you could talk to Jackson alone.

“So, why are you here?” You asked.

“I missed you.” He said, “I haven’t stopped thinking about you since you left.”

“I- I missed you too.” You said quietly. “But I’m happy here.” You said. You had your hands under the table.

“Are you sure?” He said, “You know you can come back with me, you had go to school there. You don’t have to stay here to prove that you’re a strong person…you’re the strongest person I know.”

“Does my mum know you’re here?” You asked.

“No, I didn’t tell her. I didn’t want to get her hopes up on anything.” He said leaning back in his chair. “I brought some stuff for you though, things you left at my place.”

“Things I left?” You thought for a moment and your eyes widened. “Jackson that really wasn’t necessary!” You blushed from embarrassment.

“What wasn’t necessary?” You jumped, sitting up stock straight and turned around robotically.

“Hi Chanyeol.” You stood up. “Chanyeol this is Jackson, Jackson this is my- this is Chanyeol.”

Jackson walked around the table and extended his hand towards Chanyeol. You watched Chanyeol as he shook Jackson’s hand, gripping it tightly until you nudged him with your elbow to let go.

“I was just about to see if Jackson wanted to get a tour around, do you want to come?” You asked your fiancé.

“No, I’m pretty tired, have fun.” He nodded at Jackson and walked out of the kitchen and up to your room.

“Lets go.” You smiled.

“Where are we going?”

“I don’t know.” You laughed, “I’m just going to get changed, I’ll be right back.” You ran upstairs quickly, taking your sweater off as you walked through your room to your closet.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us?” You asked Chanyeol from the closet as you changed your shirt.

“It’s okay. You guys should get reacquainted.” He actually sounded somewhat sincere which made you look out at him curiously. You walked over and sat beside him on the bed.

“Are you okay?” You asked.

“Yea, just trying to be a good fiancé and trust the piece of that’s going out with my girl.”

“Well at least the sentence started out good.” You laughed. “And don’t worry about Jackson, he’s harmless.”

“Yea, we’ll see about that.” Chanyeol sat up and pulled you over to him to kiss you.

His hand wound behind your back and pulled you close to him, his other hand going to the back of your head. You melted into the kiss as he stuck his tongue in your mouth. You wrapped your arms around his neck.

Chanyeol pulled away suddenly and leaned back against the pillows, taking his book.

“What was that for?” You asked, standing up.

“I just wanted to remind you what you’re leaving at home.” He smiled coyly.

“I never forgot.”  You kissed his cheek again before starting to leave, “I love you and see you later.”

“Later babe.”

You ran quickly downstairs, taking two at a time.

“Sorry that took so long.” You laughed, pulling your coat on.

“It’s okay. I kind of expected it.” He laughed following you out of the house.

“What do you mean?”

“He doesn’t seem to like me very much.”

“He likes you just fine.” You smiled reassuringly at Jackson, “He just wants to seem tough.”

“Seem tough? Well that handshake could have fooled me.” Jackson stopped laughing and looked at you seriously. “They all seem really nice. I’m glad that you have them.”

“How many did you meet?” You asked, cocking your head to look at him as you walked.

“Five of them, including Chanyeol. How many more are there?”

“Seven.”

“How do you all live in that house?”

“We make it work. Did you meet Kai?”

“No, I don’t think so. He special?” Jackson asked.

“He’s my best friend, well, other than Chanyeol.” You smiled. “I think you guys would really get along. Here’s the bus stop.”

“So have you decided where you’re taking me?” You were relieved that he had changed the subject; you needed some normal conversation.

“Uh, yea, we’re gonna go downtown!”

* * * * *

After several hours of walking around and shopping you and Jackson decided to find somewhere to eat.

“This place is really good!” You said, pulling him into a bar.

“Food and drinks? I’m down for that.”

You sat down at a booth and started looking over the menu.

“Lets get the hot pot.” Jackson suggested.

“Yea sounds good to me.” You nodded, “I’m just gonna call Chanyeol.”

The phone rang eight times before his voicemail picked up.

“Hey this is Chanyeol, can’t make it, leave your name and I’ll get back to you.”

You didn’t bother, you just sent a text that said be back later.

“Boyfriend busy?” Jackson teased.

“Fiancé. And, I guess so. Oh well.”

“It’s still so weird to me that you’re getting married.” He sighed, “You know I always thought that it would be you and me getting married someday.”

“Jackson, that is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.” You laughed.

“I’m serious.”

“I’m not drunk enough for this.” You laughed. You called the waiter over and ordered for the both of you, getting a bottle of soju as well.

In a matter of minutes you had both done three shots and you could already feel it.

“I’m being serious.” He said again, clearly wanting to tell you how he felt. “I loved you so much and it was devastating when you left.”

“Stop being so dramatic! We had the worst relationship ever.” You said remembering everything.

“Yea, things were bad sometimes, but when they were good they were really good.” He smirked.

“When they were good we were having .” You laughed. “It was way better when we were just friends. We got along so well then and we ruined it.”

“Well we’re just friends now.” He poured you another shot. “To friendship.”

“To friendship.” You took the shot and shook your head.

“We should play a game.” He suggested.

“What game?”

“Well…” He thought for a moment. “You ask the other person a question about yourself and if they get it wrong they have to admit something and take a shot.”

“Sounds good enough to me.” You laughed. “You go first then. I’ll ask you a question.”

“Alright, lets do this!” You both had given up on speaking in Korean a long time ago and every once and awhile people in the other booths would look as you wondering what you were saying.

“What was our first fight about?” You asked.

“You hanging out with Jerry Langdon.”

“UGH! How do you even remember that?” You laughed.

“That guy drove me crazy.” He said shaking his head. “Alright, now take a shot.”

“That wasn’t in the rules.” You protested.

“It is now.” He laughed.

You took the shot. “Okay, now you ask.” You said.

“When was the first time you slept over at my place?”

You thought for a minute. “When we were in ninth grade and my brother threw that party with all his college friends.”

“Correct!”

Jackson took a shot. “What did we do in the bathroom of Katie’s Halloween party?”

“Jackson!” You yelled, hitting him from across the table. “That is not appropriate!”

“It’s part of the game!” He said, defending himself.

“I’m not answering that question.” You said, shaking your head.

You had almost finished eating and the time was going by so quickly. You looked at your phone to see that Chanyeol hadn’t tried to call or text you.

“What did you bring back?” You asked suddenly.

“Huh?” He had a bite of noodles in his mouth.

“What did you bring back for me? You said you had some of my things.”

“Uh,” he coughed awkwardly. “Some of your clothes and your handcuffs, some other stuff.”

“Why did you feel the need to bring those back?” You laughed.

“Cause I couldn’t use them with other people, it felt wrong.” He admitted. “Besides maybe you’ll need them again.” He winked.

“Let’s go home.” You said, trying to get away from the topic with Jackson.

You paid the bill after trying to get the waiter’s attention for ten minutes and when you left it was snowing.

“Do you have a place to stay tonight?” You asked Jackson as you stood at the bus stop. “You could always stay at my place.”

“No, I don’t want to impose, I got a hotel about ten minutes away from your place.”

“Okay great.” You smiled. You were starting to feel really drunk now and you had to lean against Jackson as you waited for the bus. 

You talked about high school the whole bus ride back to your place, all of the parties and your friends that you wanted to know about. You were starting to see the old Jackson that you used to know.

“This is my stop.” You said, standing up and wobbling a little bit.

“You sure you can make it home?” He asked, standing up and holding your arm to steady you.

“Oh yea, I’ll be fine when the bus stops moving.” You giggled. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” You hugged him goodbye. “Don’t forget, just three more stops!” You shouted as you got off the bus.

You grabbed the lamppost to steady yourself as you practically fell off the bus. You looked up and down the street to see it was vacant. It was pitch black out even though it was only 8 o’clock. You started to walk slowly, watching your feet as you consciously thought out right foot, left foot.

It felt like the usual ten-minute walk to your place was replaced by a teleport when the next thing you knew you were at your door.  


Thanks for reading <3

comment, upvote and subscribe !