Raison d'être (Part 7)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7   

 

Foot sets out of the cab as Miyoung stares in awe at the huge estate that she has just arrived at. The taxi drives away, leaving Miyoung to soak in the gargantuan gates and the surreal view of the mansion a few yards behind them. The still-flabbergasted Miyoung hesitantly approaches the intercom attached to one of the huge concrete pillars holding one side of the gate.

 

Pressing the button, Miyoung anxiously sways on her feet as she waits for a response. A beep resounds from the intercom and a figure appears from the screen. Miyoung feels the sweat forming on her forehead when she sees a middle-aged man with blue eyes and graying hair stare her down through the screen. “Hello. How may I help you?” The man asks in accented Korean. Miyoung presumes that he is English based on his accent.

 

“Uhm, I’m Miyoung Hwang, Miss Jung’s assistant secretary. I have been requested by Miss Jung.” Miyoung inwardly pats herself for managing to put on a non-stuttering front for the seemingly stern manservant.

 

Before the man could judge her answer, Soojung’s head popped into view, surprising both Miyoung and the manservant. “Oh, Miss Hwang!” Soojung’s overly enthusiastic voice startles both Miyoung and the butler. Miyoung notes the man’s arched brow from behind the child as Soojung addresses her. “It was me who messaged you. You should come in.” Soojung turns to the stern butler and speaks to him in British-English, “Mr. Clarke, could you please usher our guest into the manse?”

 

The manservant bows at the little girl, “My pleasure, Young Mistress Soojung.” The little exchange has Miyoung standing in awe at the young girl’s newly-revealed ability. She wonders what other tricks little Soojung has up her sleeve as she notices a small gate open for her. She sees the British man walk down the pathway towards her and Miyoung is broken out of her dazed state when the man clears his throat and addresses her, “Miss Hwang, welcome to Miss Jung’s estate. Please follow me.”

 

He gestures for her to enter the small gate before he presses a button and the gate shuts close. Then, he leads Miyoung along the way onto the huge steps leading into the vast foyer of the Jung manse. “Young Mistress Soojung is waiting with her mother at the music room.” The manservant informs her, catching her bewildered gaze. He smiles at her, “I had that same look when I first arrived here.” His statement surprises her.

 

“How long have you worked here, sir?” Miyoung asks in English, surprising the man with her Californian accent. “I’ve been with Miss Sooyeon since she was a toddler. When she grew up to take the helm of her family’s business, she had this built and everyone in the Jung household was astounded by the result.” Miyoung can see the sincerity in the man’s eyes. ‘He looked like a proud father.’

 

“I guess, it’s like you sort of saw her grow up…”

 

“Yes.” The man smiles at her before they stop before a set of double doors where a Chopin piano piece was playing from behind the closed doors. “This is where I leave you, Miss Hwang. It was nice meeting you.” Miyoung smiles back at the man, “Likewise.” The manservant turns the knobs of the double doors and pushes it, revealing the mother and daughter pair sitting on the piano.

 

Miyoung finds herself surprised when she sees Sooyeon playing an intricate tune while Soojung looks on beside her mother. The child waits for her mother to finish before she plays her own favorite piece, Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake. Miyoung watches in a daze as she drowns herself in the feathery tunes being played by the child and despite the child’s missed notes every now and then, the music is still pleasing to the ears. Her eyes lock with Sooyeon’s and Miyoung finds herself trapped in those dark brown orbs.

 

Sooyeon only stares at her, expressionless as they both lose themselves in the music. Their seemingly eternal spell is broken when Soojung finishes the piece. The mother looks down to her child with a soft smile gracing her face. “Very well done, dear.” Sooyeon places a kiss on her daughter’s forehead before turning to address their late night visitor. “Miss Hwang, thank you for coming.”

 

Miyoung awakens from her enchantment and stutters, “Uh-uhm, y-you’re welcome, Miss Jung.”

 

Sooyeon smiles some as she and her daughter leave the piano with Soojung holding her mother’s hand. “You can call me Sooyeon when we’re not in the office. I had Soojung message you to come here to ask you of a favor.” Miyoung notes the unease that her boss is trying to quell as she watches the Jung think up of proper words to say to her.

 

“What is it, Miss – uhm – Sooyeon?” Miyoung asks, prompting her boss to answer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter