Raison d'être (Part 4)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: So... before I proceed with this update... I'd like to share this one because I'm getting hyped with the Game of Thrones Season 5. hahaha! They are just sooo made for this. hahaha! And I'm planning on writing something related to this. :3 Probably in the near future... lol! 

 

Okay... I'm done with my rant. :D Enjoy the update! lol!

 

4

 

“Please sit down, Miss Hwang.” Miss Jung commands as she sits up from her desk, eyes landing on Miyoung’s meek form as she settles at the chair right in front of Miss Jung’s desk. Soojung quietly sits at the chair facing the Hwang, her probing eyes makes Miyoung uncomfortable.

 

Miyoung looks back at the little child, wondering what’s in the kid’s mind. “Don’t mind my daughter. She’s just probing like that.” Sooyeon’s voice snaps her attention from the inquisitive child, turning to face Miss Jung whose eyes were probing her as well.

 

“Uhm, M-Miss Jung…” Miyoung hesitates in asking, “W-What would you like to talk to me about, Miss Jung?” She still feels Soojung’s eyes on her, making her feel small under the child’s intense gaze. Miyoung has heard from her seniors how the little child intimidates even the prominent businessmen and politicians with just her innocent gaze. Now, Miyoung can attest to that. There is something in the child’s eyes that makes her feel inferior despite her older age.

 

Sooyeon’s lips curves upward in a curt smile as she clasps her hands together on the table, “Miyoung, I know you’re new to this company, but I trust that you won’t stir trouble. You have witnessed quite a lot of things inside this office already. How long have you been standing there yesterday?” Sooyeon nods her head at the closed door, making Miyoung recall what had happened when she entered the room to inform her boss about her daughter’s condition.

 

Miyoung knows what this meant. She turns to Soojung, who simply remains seated across from her. The child casts her, a cute smile, to which she smiles back in return. Facing her boss, “Miss Jung, I’m sorry for the intrusion yesterday. I didn’t mean to see that. I won’t say a word about anything I have seen or discovered from yesterday. I assure you that.” Miyoung says with sincerity as she looks into Miss Jung’s eyes.

 

But years of betrayal and disappointments have taken their toll on the young CEO. Sooyeon does not buy the woman’s response and she turns on a serious face. “I’d rather not take any chances, Miss Hwang. Tell me honestly, were you spying on me and Mr. Kim yesterday?” Miyoung looks to Soojung, whose eyes remain locked on her form. The child does not even react to the mention of her possible father’s name.                         

 

“No. I wasn’t, Miss Jung.” Miyoung replies, shifting her eye contact to her boss. “Please give me another chance, Miss Jung.” Sooyeon sits back in her chair before her eyes lands on her daughter. The child remains unmoved from her seat, eyes locked on the distressed woman seated across from her.

 

“Soojung, what do you think about Miss Hwang?” Sooyeon asks, prompting Soojung to look at her. The child blinks some before she smiles, “Can I play with her, Mommy?” The answer catches both adults off guard. Even Miyoung finds agape at the child’s reply. “I don’t have a playmate. I want to play with someone.” Soojung adds, pouting at her mother.

 

Sooyeon blinks, eyes remain locked with her child. She wonders what’s in Soojung’s mind right now. The child has never asked for anything like this before and Sooyeon finds it more intriguing. “I thought you have other people as playmates here.” Sooyeon remarks, earning a scoff from the little girl.

 

“They’re not that fun. Miss Hwang here is very kind and cheerful. She always treats me kindly like how Miss Lee does. But I know you won’t let Miss Lee play with me. You need Miss Lee more, so… please, Mommy.” Soojung musters her cat-like persona, cleverly forcing her mother to concede.

 

Sooyeon huffs and sits back on her chair in defeat, “Okay, Soojung. You can play with Miss Hwang now, but that’s only for today. She has duties to attend to.” Soojung abruptly stands from her seat and runs around the table to jump into her mother’s lap, hugging her mother in gratitude.

 

“Thank you, Mommy.” Soojung lands a peck on her mom’s cheek, much to Miyoung’s amusement. Sooyeon is helpless in this matter and her eyes land back on the Hwang. “Miss Hwang, please take care of Soojung and I trust that you will keep your promise.” The CEO signals Miyoung’s dismissal as Soojung runs at her heels. Once the door closes, Sooyeon lets out a sigh, running a hand through her long tresses.

 

Her phone vibrates and Sooyeon picks it up, eyes landing on the message sent by her ex-husband.

 

Hi, love. How’s work? Can I talk to your employee? The one who came to the hospital yesterday? I’d like to talk to her regarding yesterday.

~Love, Taeyeon

 

Sooyeon smiles a bit, fingers moving at a fast pace to enter her reply. She then pockets her phone before she proceeds with her tasks at hand. She reads through the emails and the reports, looking through papers, and files. She still has a lot of stuff to accomplish an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter