My Pace

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Authors' Note: This is my late birthday gift to my fellow author and dear friend (a certified Jessbian and JeTidalwave Surfer. lmao!). You know who you are already. lol! And yes, I'm a trooper so don't call me an idiot because I wrote this 18-page, 5,754 worded one shot just for you. kekeke. :3 Stay regal and ghei for Jessica Jung, dear friend. Oh, and don't work and drink too much! lol!  *I find the title really funny and I don't know why.* Forgive the mistakes and stuff. I was high on paracetamol and caffeine while working on this. 

 

 

 

The air inside the huge conference room was stifling. She, along with two fellow trainees, had been sitting there for what seemed like eternity. Their mentors had called for them a few minutes back. They said the big boss had wanted to meet them before they debut. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, the soft foam of the leather office chair not contributing much to the anxiety brewing inside her.

 

Eyes found her older companion, who seemed to be just as nervous as her. She had been living with Taeyeon for three years now and she had come to know that the older girl had a penchant for masking her real emotions, but the sweat beading Taeyeon’s forehead, her constant playing of fingers, and her stiff posture, said it all. Taeyeon was anxious, perhaps, even more so than she had ever been. After all, Taeyeon was slated to be their group’s leader.

 

‘Stephanie Hwang, you’re going to be fine.’ She repeated in her mind, her eyes wandering around the room, taking in the mix of both sophistication and simplicity that the room’s interior radiated. Then, her eyes landed on the person seated to her left; the youngest among them.

 

The child was unreadable; her innocent yet inquisitive eyes tracing the different paintings hung on the white wall facing them. Stephanie placed a hand on the kid’s thigh, earning the child’s attention. “Yes, unnie?”

 

“Juhyun, aren’t you nervous?” Stephanie inquired, curious of the younger one’s feelings. Juhyun smiled, shaking her head. “No, unnie. I’m quite excited, actually.”

 

Stephanie couldn’t believe this kid. “Really? You’re not scared at all?”

 

Juhyun simply smiled at her, her answer firm. “No.”

 

‘I guess, she’s just too innocent to know what this meeting would mean to us.’ Stephanie postulated as she shrunk back into her seat, mind imagining the different scenarios that may happen in a few minutes’ time. She wondered how their company’s CEO would be like. She had heard a lot of things about the evasive and mysterious head of their company.

 

Stephanie had only known their CEO’s last name – Jung.

 

That was it.

 

Despite the years she’d spent training within this building and the other branches they had across South Korea, not once had Stephanie Hwang caught sight of their ‘big boss’ as their mentors would call the company’s head. She had asked her fellow trainees about it, but Taeyeon had no idea as well, even though the older girl had been training within the company for a longer time. Juhyun meekly shook her head, apologizing right after for her reserved nature, telling Stephanie that she does not really interact much with other people except the Hwang and their leader.

 

Two knocks on the double wooden doors guarding the room resounded throughout the hall and the three young ladies flinched at the disturbance to their silent haven. Taeyeon, Stephanie, and Juhyun watched as one of the door knobs slowly turned and the door was pushed open with a slight creak. Stephanie held her breath when the door gave way to a figure dressed in a simple yet classy getup.

 

In stepped a young woman, probably a few years younger than Juhyun. Stephanie felt like the newcomer was an apparition: long blonde hair, pale complexion, medium in height. The woman sported a simple long-sleeved navy blue dress shirt, its sleeves rolled up to the elbows, revealing porcelain skin. The woman finished her casual yet classy outfit with a pair of tight-fitting black trousers, and ebon Tory Burch flats.

 

The young woman’s presence, despite her youth, somehow told the three trainees that she was someone with authority. The trio rose from their seats, bowing before the newcomer, and greeted. “Good morning, we are TaeTiSeo.”

 

The newcomer smiled, motioning for the three girls to take a seat. “Nice to meet you. Please take a seat.”

 

The three girls quietly settled on their seats, eyes locked on the figure sitting on the other side of the long conference table, facing them. Stephanie was wondering whether this person before them was the elusive CEO Jung.

 

The young woman answered her un-voiced question, “First things first, I’m Jung Krystal and you can simply call me Krystal. I’m 20 and I’m here to get to know you better. We can probably start by having you introduce yourselves.”

 

Taeyeon spoke first, bowing from her seat before introducing herself, “Hi, my name is Kim Taeyeon. I’m 25 years old and I am from Jeonju. I’m going to be the leader of TaeTiSeo and I hope I will be able to do well under your guidance.” Krystal smiled and nodded before her eyes landed on Stephanie.

 

“Uhm, h-hi. I’m Stephanie Hwang. I’m 24 years old and I came from the United States. It’s nice to finally meet you and I can’t believe that you’re only 20!” Stephanie covered in surprise as all eyes landed on her. ‘Way to go, Stephanie Hwang! You and your impulsive mouth again.’ Stephanie silently chided herself as she sheepishly grinned at Krystal, whose expression became unreadable.

 

 From her periphery, Stephanie could make out Taeyeon shaking her head at her tactless remark. But Krystal’s sudden laughter bouncing from the walls of the room redirected Stephanie’s attention back to the blonde.

 

“You’re seriously funny, Stephanie-ssi.” Krystal said between chuckles as she leaned back into her seat, eyes almost teary from laughter. Stephanie sighed in relief and she noticed how Taeyeon and Juhyun had somehow relaxed. The trio had mutually thought that Stephanie’s remark would probably jeopardize their relationship with the ‘big boss’, but then, much to their relief, it wasn’t the case. Krystal seemed very easy-going and the three older ladies looked at each other, the same thoughts running through their heads.

 

‘It’s probably because she is young…’ They all thought.

 

Krystal composed herself after quite some time, hands clasped together as she leaned on the table, eyes now trained on each of them before settling on the person sitting directly before her. Stephanie noticed how sharp and keen Krystal’s eyes were. She felt under Krystal’s searing gaze.

 

“So,” Krystal’s voice made the three girls flinch, the trio being brought back to reality by their boss. “You’re Stephanie-ssi,” then, she turned her attention to Taeyeon, “And you’re Taeyeon-ssi.” Taeyeon nodded in affirmation. Krystal smiled before turning to the youngest, “And you are?”

 

“My name is Seo Juhyun. Nice to finally meet you, Jung-seongsaeng-nim.” Juhyun replied. Krystal nodded and sat back in her seat. Her eyes shifting between the three girls before a soft smile graced her face.

 

“You’re going to debut in a few months’ time under the name TaeTiSeo or TTS. I trust that you will do your best for your activities in the coming weeks.” Krystal said before her eyes landed on the eldest of the three, “Taeyeon-ssi, I’m sure you’re pressured right now for being chosen as the leader. It will be hard but I want you to give it your best. You have trained the longest in your group, so I hope that you won’t put all your sacrifices to waste.”

 

Taeyeon nodded solemnly at the blonde. “Yes, Jung-seongsaeng-nim. I will do my best.”

 

Krystal casted the leader a small smile before her gaze landed on Stephanie. The Jung raised a playful brow at her, making Stephanie lower her head in embarrassment. “And you, Miss Hwang. I’d like you to support your members very well. And please be careful with your remarks. Not everyone is as understanding as me.” Stephanie blushed upon hearing her boss’ words. She meekly nodded, her head lowered in discomfiture. “Just mind your actions and words, Stephanie. I wouldn’t mind you being carefree within the walls of our company, but you have to protect TTS’ image in public.”

 

“Yes, Jung-seonsaeng-nim and I’m sorry for what I said earlier.” Stephanie muttered as she slowly lifted her head only to meet Krystal’s amused expression. The Jung waved it off, chuckling before she turned her attention to Juhyun.

 

Juhyun shifted uneasily in her seat. Despite Krystal’s kind words and easy-going attitude, her presence and aura still felt very intimidating. Besides, who gets to be the CEO of one of Korea’s largest entertainment companies at the age of 20?

 

“I believe, Juhyun-ssi has no problems coping with her unnies…” Krystal pointed out to which Juhyun nodded meekly in response. Then, the Jung clasped her hands and concluded, “All right, then I wish you three all the best of luck! TaeTiSeo, fighting!”

 

They all stood from their seats and the three girls bowed low to their superior, who slightly bent her back. She motioned for the three older girls to exit first, telling them that she still had a meeting with someone afterwards. The girls bid their respects to her before they filed out of the door.

 

Stephanie was following her group members down the hallway. She was too lost in her thoughts that she walked into someone who was carrying a lot of files and folders in her hands.  

 

The collision caused her and the other person to fall, derriere first, on the floor. Stephanie grimaced as pain shot from her buttocks up through her spine. She caught a glimpse of Taeyeon and Juhyun helping the other figure up while Stephanie struggled in picking herself up from the floor. The Hwang then strode over to the offended, “Oh dear, are you all right? I’m so sorry. I didn’t really see you there. I’m really, really sorry!” Stephanie bowed a couple of times as she expressed her apologies.

 

“I’m fine. I wasn’t looking as well. So, we’re even.” The figure replied as she squatted down to retrieve the files that had scattered on the floor upon their collision.

 

“Oh, sorry about that!” Stephanie said as she, along with her group mates, helped the young lady in gathering the papers.

 

“It’s fine, really. Uhm, I really need to get going. I still have a meeting to catch.” The stranger said as she received the papers which both Taeyeon and Juhyun had gathered. She stuck out a hand to retrieve the papers in Stephanie’s hand, but the Hwang didn’t seem to budge from her spot. “Uh, my papers, please?”

 

Stephanie had been too enamored by this stranger’s delicate and alluring features complimented by her regal stance, that she had not registered the young woman’s request.

 

“Fany,” Taeyeon called her out by nickname, “please hand those in.”

 

Her leader’s voice shook her from her trance and with a mumbled apology, Stephanie handed the papers back to the stranger who thanked her and disappeared behind the door of the conference room. The rest of the day seemed to have become a daze to Stephanie after her fateful encounter with a beautiful stranger.

 

+++

 

“So, how was your meeting with the girls?” A lilting voice took Krystal’s attention away from her phone.

 

“Hey,” Krystal got up from her seat and helped the newcomer with the files. She placed them on the table before they both settled beside each other, reading and signing documents as they conversed. “It was fine. You were right about that Stephanie girl, unnie. She’s such an interesting character.”

 

The other figure chuckled, playfully shoving Krystal by the shoulder. “I actually bumped into her on the way here.”

 

Krystal’s eyes widened, “You did?! Oh my, you’re so lucky! You get to interact with your long time crush!”

 

“Yah! Keep it down, Jung Soojung! People might hear.” The figure chided, blurting out Krystal’s Korean name. “She vehemently apologized to me, but I told her it was fine.” Krystal’s companion covered her face with her long brunette tresses as she mumbled, “Ugh! That was so embarrassing! I can’t face her now…”

 

Krystal merely laughed, patting her unnie. “Relax, Sooyeon-unnie. You’re the CEO Jung! Nobody rejects the CEO, especially if she’s a Jung. And hey, you owe me dinner for making me sit through the meeting with those three trainees.”

 

The real CEO Jung pouted at her younger sister, “Hey, that wasn’t even a formal meeting, Soojung. You were just going to get to know them and encourage them to do their best for their debut. And I was stuck in a board meeting at the other end of this building so I can’t be in two places at once! You’re seriously being evil right now.”

 

“Yah, unnie, all I ask is for you to treat me to a delicious dinner for payment but you’re being stingy. Besides, I could have charged you more for making me postpone my project meeting just to accommodate TTS.”

 

Sooyeon huffed at her defeat. When it comes to her younger sister, she may argue and refuse, but she can never say ‘no’ to the younger Jung. “Fine. Where do you want to eat, Soojung?”

 

At this, Krystal smiled with her eyes crinkling into inverted crescents, her teeth and gums showing. It was the kind of smile reserved only for her elder sister. “I want to eat at that restaurant right across the street. I’ve heard from the managers and trainees that they served the best Korean food in the city at a really cheap price.”

 

Sooyeon rolled her eyes at her sister’s sudden change of mood. Sometimes, she wonders if Krystal loved food more than her. She stood up from her seat, taking an ecstatic Krystal’s hand. The younger yet taller girl glomped her older sister in a back hug. “Jessica’s the best!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter