Define LOVE

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If there was one person in this world that Taeyeon would never be able to fully fathom, it would be her. That girl with the flowing chestnut hair that redefined hair ; that girl with the sharp eyes that viewed the world in the most eccentric of perspectives; that girl with the precious smile, so precious that it was only revealed to special people – people like Taeyeon.

 

And right now, Taeyeon has this unfathomable girl seated before her, sipping her drink from a straw in the most adorable yet ironically seductive manner, which in Taeyeon’s opinion, made her very much envious of that red, hollow, plastic tube caught between her plump lips.

 

Good heavens! Why are you like this?! Taeyeon found herself flushed at the exquisitely precious sight that could have melted the world’s stone-cold heart in a snap of a finger.

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

That lilting voice, oddly similar to hers, brought the protagonist back from her wonderland. Taeyeon cleared , eyes blinking before taking in the innocent look she mustered.

 

“Y-Yes?”

 

Curse her trembling voice for displaying her weakness! But, meh, she revels in it. She likes it when Taeyeon loses her gift of gab, her composure in speech whenever she was around the older one.

 

A chortle, something compatible to that of childlike innocence, registered past her ear drums. God! Her head throbbed at the soft giggles. She could practically die right now, or perhaps, pass out at the very corner of this café.

 

But then, she remembered the expectations, the responsibilities - why she was here, in this public setting, with her. Taeyeon remembered the dream, the job, the group, the fame and the responsibilities that went with it, the reason why she’s here with her.

 

They were – are – Girls’ Generation. They can’t – couldn’t – just go out and run about like how they used to, back during the days when they were still trainees – teens with dreams of showing off their talents and spreading smiles on faces of people throughout the world. Simple yet complicated at the same time and this irony was what brought her, Taeyeon, to be here with her.

 

It’s for security. It’s to keep her safe from rude intruders, stalkers, paparazzi. Well, it doesn’t help that we’re both members, but at least she’s not alone. She has me to share the burden.

 

Really? Or is it because you had wanted to spend some alone time with her? Yoona’s out and about alone, yet you chose this pretty chick, to accompany, instead. 

 

Taeyeon inwardly chided, smacked herself for her own mind’s playful taunting.

 

Yes. And Yoona didn’t want me to tag along despite my protests and proposition of having all three of us go out together. So, I opted to accompany this one. I want to keep her safe, just as much as I wanted to keep the others safe. It’s mere responsibility.

 

Right…

 

But I am!

 

“Taeyeon? Earth to Kim Taeyeon?”

 

Taeyeon’s connection – and ongoing argument – with her mind was cut short, thankfully, by her.

 

“Yes, Jessica?”

 

An amused grin formed on her lips.

 

A question was now floating in Taeyeon’s mind.

 

What’s amusing her right now?

 

“Wow. Your English pronunciation has totally improved!” Jessica exclaimed, almost spilling her tall glass of iced coffee with her flailing hands.

 

Taeyeon released a soft chuckle. She was happy that her efforts for improving on her linguistics were acknowledged by one of their esteemed group’s language experts in the English Department. Her tutor, Stephanie, would be thrilled to know of this but that will have to wait.

 

“Thank you, Miss Jung.” Taeyeon said in perfect English which she laced with a Californian accent, much to Jessica’s surprise.

 

“Tiffany’s good.” Jessica commented, sipping on her coffee, savoring the cool, cloudy fluid slipping down with every gulp. Taeyeon watched in utter bewilderment at the sight.

 

It’s like she’s unknowingly flirting with everyone staring at her! I can’t-

 

“You’ve been watching me like I’m some sort of exotic species in the zoo, Taengoo.”

 

Oh dear. I’m caught.

 

“Ah… Hehe.” Taeyeon scratched the back of her neck.

 

Awkward…

 

“Am I that interesting to you?” Jessica probed, earning a blush from the older woman. The Jung sat back, amusement clearly evident on her face as she watched her leader fidget and stutter.

 

“Er, I – You – I mean – Seriously, I think I know how your fans would feel whenever they see you.”

 

“Really? Tell me. I’m really curious why people lose themselves whenever I’m near them, or whenever they see me. Take for example, how Tiffany lost herself for a moment when we had our red carpet interview at the 2011 MAMA when she casted me a side glance, or how Hyoyeon would stop mid-sentence whenever she looked at me, or how Sunny would daze whenever we’re staring at each other during conversations.” Jessica said oh-so-casually, that it somehow came off as a bit sarcastic to unaccustomed ears.

 

Taeyeon took to pondering as she tried mentally listing the younger one’s charms – rather – eccentricities – that demanded 100% attention, but alas, Taeyeon couldn’t. Not when she felt Jessica Jung’s eyes boring an expectant look upon her form. It made Taeyeon feel smaller than she already was. It made her feel really minute. Microscopic, even.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter