Raison d'être (Part 21)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

21

 

The succeeding months prove to be very challenging for Miyoung as she was made to manage her mother’s logistics company along with a position at the Kim Standard Enterprises. Aside from that, she also has to assist Sooyeon in adjusting to her pregnancy. The two have become closer after having shared the master’s bedroom for most nights. It has eventually become a habit for both to share the same bed together.

 

Little Taejung was born at midnight inside the Jung mansion just as Miyoung arrived from her late-night meeting. The baby boy was a carbon-copy of Taeyeon despite his sharp eyes reflecting Sooyeon’s. An ecstatic Soojung almost sweeps Miyoung off her feet when she came into the master bedroom where a tired Sooyeon slept with her newborn baby.

 

“Umma!” Soojung has grown accustomed to calling Miyoung her umma as the months passed. “Umma! Taejungie is so cute!” Pulling Miyoung by her sleeve, Soojung hastily drags her adopted mother closer to the large bed where her real mother has been sleeping with her younger brother.

 

“Slow down, Soojung-ah.” Miyoung whispers as she tries to tone down Soojung’s excitement, “You’re going to disturb your Mommy and Taejung if you’re too noisy.”

 

Soojung finally realizes her mistake, “Oh, sorry.” She whispers to which Miyoung gives her a reassuring eye smile before she carefully bends down and lifts the eldest daughter into her arms. Settling Soojung on the bed, close to Sooyeon, Miyoung sits beside her adopted daughter and admires Sooyeon and Taejung in silence.

 

After a moment, Soojung looks up to her Umma and whispers with a genuine smile, “He’s just like Daddy’s baby version!” This brings a twinge of pain in Miyoung’s heart. Soojung has just reminded her that the children were Taeyeon’s and were never hers. As much as she has considered Soojung and now Taejung as her own, she could never amount to anything that Taeyeon has done for Sooyeon in his lifetime.

 

Taeyeon has been Sooyeon’s everything and he has left his legacy in the two lovely children that they have. Miyoung has to remind herself that she was just here to support Sooyeon. After all, she is part of Taeyeon’s family and it has been her duty to look out for Sooyeon in Taeyeon’s absence. Miyoung has this inner conflict though. Before, she has not even considered becoming this close with Sooyeon, not clos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter