SINISTER [HyoSic vs. TaengSic]

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kiddo!”

A cheeky smile graced her lips as she silently ducked her head, moving stealthily among the bushes.

“Kiddo!”

“Kiddo! Where are you?”

More voices called for her – all worried and urgent. More feet trampled upon the fallen mix of claret and orange leaves. The rustle of bushes close to her made her burrow deeper into the thick brush, silently stealing to get away from the ones seeking her.

“Come on, kiddo! Father and mother are going to kill us if you won’t come out now.”

The eldest boy among those searching for her shouted, but she was not fazed by the plea. She all fours and scurried away from her brothers until she was met with a strange sight.

Two figures.

Both were seated against a huge tree, partly hidden from sight as they took refuge inside the hollowed part of its trunk. One was engulfing another in a protective embrace. Both were females and around the same age as her.

She paused in her tracks, mesmerized by the eyes staring right back at her. To her surprise, the one embracing the other figure didn’t flinch at her presence. But rather, mustered a sharp glare that sent her reeling backwards.

‘Red eyes,’ she thought to herself. ‘She has red eyes!’

Her own eyes widened at the realization. The other figure stirred, turning her head to see what had caused her companion to stiffen in their position. Another shock ran through the kid’s spine after seeing another pair of red eyes cast a glance toward her although those eyes were unexpressive unlike the other vampire’s.

“Kiddo!”

The voices of her brothers grew louder as she locked gazes with the two vampires hiding in the hollowed tree. She had guessed that it was time to go back to her brothers and time to run away from danger.

“I-I’m here!!!” She shouted with all her might. Soon enough, she heard the scuffle of feet crunching leaves and twigs in haste. She got up in haste, feet backing up as she stood still facing the two vampires watching her.

Then, she turned half step and ran for her life without ever looking back. It didn’t matter if the vampires pursued her. She knew that her brothers would be there to protect her.

A soft thud and she found herself falling backwards. She closed her eyes bracing herself for impact and pain but it never came. Instead, a pair of hands had broken her fall.

“Hyoyeon - kiddo, how many times did we tell you not to wander off like that!” Her bother chided as he steadied her and released her from his grasp.

“I-I’m sorry.” Hyoyeon apologized, casting a furtive glance behind her. Seeing that none had followed her, she turned to her pack of brothers and smiled sheepishly.

“Hey, Siwon. She looked like she had seen a ghost. What did you do to her?” Her eldest brother said.

Hyoyeon’s rescuer turned and shrugged at the eldest, “I just saved her from falling -first onto the ground. She had been running recklessly towards me when I saw her.” Siwon then turned to the youngest and asked, “Was there something chasing you, kiddo?”

Hyoyeon shook her head, feigning innocence as she took her brother’s hand and said, “No. It was nothing. Let’s go back before it gets dark.”

Siwon smiled as he ruffled his sister’s hair. “Come on, you little troublemaker.”

Hyoyeon and her pack of brothers walked further as two individuals watched on from a distance.

“Taeyeon?”

The dark-haired one turned, instinctively wrapping her arm over the other one’s waist pulling her towards her own body before replying, “Yes?”

“You scared her.”

“I know, Sooyeon. It had been my intention to do so.”

“Why?” A pair of arms wrapped themselves around Taeyeon’s waist.

Taeyeon planted her lips on Sooyeon’s forehead before answering, “Because she had discovered our secret haven and disturbed our moment. I don’t want that.”

This earned a chuckle from Sooyeon.

“Come on, Taeyeon. It’s almost dusk. Your visiting hours are almost over.” Sooyeon said as she pulled the dark-haired vampire by the arm.

Taeyeon stumbled after the brunette as they walked in the opposite direction in a pace faster than a normal person’s.

“Sooyeon, my family has agreed that I stay for another day.”

The brunette halted in her tracks. “R-Really?”

A nod was her answer.

Sooyeon smiled before moving on.

“And I’ll be sleeping in your room.”

Sooyeon’s smile grew wider as Taeyeon took the lead, their hands intertwined.

+++

[10 years later]

An arrow hissed through the dense air as the wind blew to impede its intended target, but the sharp point sliced through the breeze and imbedded itself in its mark which was located about ten meters away.

“Great job, kiddo!” Leeteuk, the eldest brother of Hyoyeon, patted the young woman’s back.

Hyoyeon grinned at her brother before slinging her bow over her form, making it cling onto her torso. Leeteuk then went over to the arrow that was stuck to the marked tree and pried it out before motioning for his little sister to follow. They slowly walked over the heaps of fallen leaves and spotted the rest of the brothers seated in a circle with two of them engaged in a wrestling match.

The only daughter of the Kim family brightened up as she ran ahead of her eldest brother to witness the match between her brothers, Siwon and Jaejoong. As she drew near, she could hear the cheers booming from her other brothers.

“Go for the knee, Siwon!” Shouted her blond-haired brother named Eunhyuk.

“Jaejoong! Jaejoong! Jaejoong!” Changmin and Kyuhyun cheered as they sided with the lean yet muscular brother.

When she arrived at the match, she eagerly took her place on the seat beside Eunhyuk, who doted on her the most. Leeteuk patted her head as he passed by and seated himself beside Heechul.

This was Hyoyeon’s typical afternoon. It looked like a simple match played by her brothers, but it was actually part of the training that they were made to endure as part of a clan of vampire hunters.

+++

“Sooyeon, your fiancée is looking for you.” A brunette with distinctive eyes called to the person leaning against the balustrade of her veranda.

Sooyeon turned to face her younger sister who seemed to glow under the bright moonlight. A smiled graced both faces and Sooyeon approached the brunette, taking her hand in her own before they exited the balcony.

Before long, the two ladies were now standing before the thick double doors decorated with carvings of mystical creatures.

“I’ll be taking my leave, Sooyeon.” The brunette smiled, her eyes forming crescents.

Sooyeon nodded, allowing for her sister’s departure before she strutted into the room herself.

Her eyes landed on the figure seated by the hearth. The room was warm and cozy enough to cast a sleeping spell on her but her thoughts were far from sleep as she studied the pensive gaze that her fiancée was casting on the calm fire that crackled before her.

Sooyeon settled herself beside her fiancée on the huge cushioned chair that was enough to fit them both. She breathed in the calming scent of her lover before allowing herself to plant feathery kisses on the other person.

Her fiancée cupped her face and caught her lips in a passionate kiss. Sooyeon deepened it as her hands wrapped themselves around her fiancée’s neck. When they pulled away with bated breaths, her fiancée gave her a chaste kiss on the lips before engulfing her in a warm embrace as they watched the flames crackle in the hearth.

“You wanted to talk to me?” Sooyeon asked as she rested her head on her lover’s shoulder.

“Yes, love.” Her fiancée replied, “My family will be leaving for Darkrim tomorrow.”

A pout made its way on Sooyeon’s lips, “Taeyeon, does this mean that you’ll be leaving me so soon?”

It had always been like this, for Taeyeon lived in a distant place. She would visit Sooyeon often and would spend the whole season of autumn with her. Sooyeon had always been the happiest whenever her lover visited.

Taeyeon mustered a cheeky grin before moving to capture Sooyeon’s pout with her lips, “My father had arranged for me to stay behind. He had agreed for me to attend school here and your parents have consented for me to live here with you.”

To say that Sooyeon was ecstatic from the good news was a huge understatement. She literally jumped on Taeyeon, her weight toppling their chair over with a loud thud as she hugged her fiancée and kissed her senseless.

Three people burst into the room to investigate the source of the loud crash. They all groaned after having to see the couple in the midst of a very intimate act.

“Can the both of you just retire in your room? Classes start tomorrow.” One of the three spoke.

Taeyeon looked up from where she was lying and grinned, “Sorry about that, kids. Sooyeon was just glad that I’ll be staying here for good.”

“And are your sisters, Sooyoung, Yoona, and Juhyun staying as well?” Sooyeon asked as she hovered over her fiancée, not minding the three spectators who had barged into the room.

Taeyeon smiled and nodded.

“Oh, I love you!” Sooyeon grinned as she embraced the person lying beneath her before initiating another passionate kiss to which Taeyeon didn’t fail to reciprocate with equal fervor.

Groans were heard from the three spectators. The couple simply chuckled after mutually pulling away, “Soonkyu, Miyoung, Yuri, you should get used to it.”

+++

Hyoyeon was beyond nervous. There were vampires everywhere. Their distinctive scents were overwhelming her as she tried to blend in with the crowd of vampires ambling past the two gargantuan gates that were opened wide.

She was sent into Shade’s vampire town on a mission. A vampire had broken through the barrier separating humanity from the vampires and Hyoyeon’s family was tasked to bring justice for the victims. They had been briefed that the vampire was quite young and had left a lot of clues behind. They all led to the vampire school, Darkring High, where Hyoyeon had enrolled herself on hopes of finding the culprit.

“Kiddo, you okay?” Eunhyuk’s voice, from the receiver disguised as an earphone, asked her.

Hyoyeon pressed a button on her rigged mp3 player and trudged on.

“Can you give us a visual?”

Again, she pressed the button before adjusting her rimmed glasses and pressing a minute button on the frame. She was now in the large and crowded corridor of the school. Every vampire she had encountered in the hallway casted a glance at her before moving on with their usual routine.

She must be the only new face in school because everyone here acted like they knew one another. Someone patted her from the back, making her stiffen. The touch was cold and it sent shivering sensations down her spine. Hyoyeon turned to see a tall young woman with dark crimson eyes staring down at her with an unreadable expression.

Hyoyeon mentally rolled her eyes after hearing her brothers’ compliments on the vampire that was now standing before her.

“Wow, she’s lovely.” Siwon commented through the receiver.

“Now that’s a beauty.” Heechul can be heard from the background.

“You’re a new face.” The tall lady stated, “What’s your name?”

Hyoyeon was stunned. This vampire was so straightforward. And charming.

“Hyoyeon. Kim Hyoyeon.” She managed to say.

The vampire’s eyes widened before a smile came onto her face, “You’re a Kim as well? My name’s Kim Sooyoung. My sisters and I have just transferred here although the community here already knew us for a long time.”

‘She’s a pureblood. I can tell.’

Hyoyeon mustered an awkward smile, “Ahehe. Well, I had just transferred here as well.”

“Made any friends yet? If not, you could join us.” Sooyoung offered after giving the human Kim a handshake.

“Uhm, I had just gotten here. If it doesn’t trouble you, then it’s fine.” Hyoyeon replied.

“Now, that’s our kiddo!” Jaejoong exclaimed through the receiver.

“Hyoyeon scores!” Kyuhyun said in the background. It seemed like all her brothers were present to watch over her.

It took the vampire hunter all her willpower to stop herself from rolling her eyes.

From afar, two figures seated on a desk inside the room observed the scene before them through the opened door. 

“A vampire hunter is here, Sooyeon.” Taeyeon whispered loud enough for her fiancée to hear.

“So she was indeed a hunter. My suspicions were right.” Sooyeon replied as they watched Sooyoung interact with the vampire hunter who had disguised herself as a vampire.

“We will interrogate her at lunch.” The dark-haired vampire said with finality.

Sooyeon nodded in agreement, “In the meantime, let’s head for the general assembly. You have an opening speech to deliver.”

Taeyeon smiled at her fiancée as they passed through the door hand in hand. The passing students all nodded in respect to the couple as they came by.

+++

Come lunch and as Hyoyeon stepped into the cafeteria, she had hoped that the vampires there were feasting on human victims like beasts in a den but she was so wrong.

“Whoa, they all acted normal…” Yunho pointed out through the receiver.

Hyoyeon muttered under her breath, “I didn’t know they were like this…”

The vampire students were all lining up at the stand where various types of gourmet food were on display. Neither a single sight of blood nor traces of human victims were on sight. This really baffled Hyoyeon. The vampires were acting too civil for her liking. It was too far from the usual assumptions that she and her brothers had of the creatures that they had pledged to kill.

A familiar person caught her attention.

“Hyo! Over here.” Sooyoung called out as she waved the hunter over.

It seemed that the vampire hierarchy was still at work. The members of the pureblood family, in which Sooyoung was a member, were all headed upstairs while the commoners sat contented on the cafeteria tables. A few servants had also gotten upstairs with huge platters of gourmet food as Hyoyeon walked toward the tall vampire.

The room on the second floor was as huge as the cafeteria below, but only a few people had occupied it. It was luxuriously decorated compared to the plain-looking cafeteria. It had a lounge decorated with expensive and antique furniture from plush couches to gilded fainting chairs. There was an elevation of two steps to the right of the lounge and it was guarded by smoked-glass sliding doors that led to another room.

Sooyoung motioned for the hunter to follow her into the adjacent room and what welcomed Hyoyeon was beyond her imagination of a mission.

Seven other pureblood vampires were seated at the long dining table. Two familiar figures seated at the head of the table caught her eyes.

It had reminded her of her first encounter with the dark creatures. It had been a decade since the first meeting. Hyoyeon was beyond surprised.

“Hyo, be careful. They are all aristocrats!” Hyoyeon could hear Changmin warn her through her earphone.

She pressed a button on her mp3 player and took out the earphone in respect to the vampires examining her with their keen eyes. Her brothers would still be able to hear and see everything though they wouldn’t be able to instruct her at this point. It was all up to Hyoyeon now.

“Welcome to Darkring High.” The dark-haired vampire who had scared her out of her wits with her glare ten years ago said as she stood up and opened her arms in a welcoming gesture, “May I know your name, newcomer? My sisters and I maybe new in this school but everyone knows of our family. As for you, we would like to get to know you. You do not seem to be from around here as well.”

“Thank you for the warm welcome.” Hyoyeon said graciously, “My name is Kim Hyoyeon. I had recently arrived from Halcyon.”

“A pleasure to meet you, Kim Hyoyeon. My name is Kim Taeyeon of Darkrim. And it was Sooyoung, my younger sister who had made an acquaintance with you.” Said Taeyeon as she went over and shook hands with the hunter. She then offered the human a seat at the table.

Sooyoung made herself comfortable between two demure-looking women. Hyoyeon adjusted her glasses on the bridge of her nose before she took a seat at the other end of the table. Taeyeon found herself by her fiancée’s side once again and food was then served at the table. The dark-haired vampire introduced each individual already seated at the table before they all settled for lunch.

Hyoyeon had gotten to know that the two vampires she had encountered in the past were Taeyeon and Sooyeon, both engaged to one another and firstborns of the two most prominent vampire families. 

As they ate, questions were thrown at her and things grew harder to answer from there on that Hyoyeon found herself unable to eat properly.

“So Hyoyeon, what brings you to Shade?” The person seated on Sooyeon’s side inquired. Her name was Jung Miyoung as Hyoyeon could remember.

“I like this place so I chose to stay here.” Hyoyeon managed.

“But Halcyon is a much better place. It is home to the most prestigious school among the vampire towns. I wonder why you chose this place of all the towns…” Jung Soonkyu probed.

‘This is getting harder and harder than expected.’

“Where’s the thrill in that? I wanted adventure so I came here alone. I wanted to see how it is like to live in this place, a place where humans and vampires lived in close proximity.” Hyoyeon replied with masked excitement.

The vampire seated nearest to her chuckled. It was the youngest sister of Taeyeon, Kim Juhyun. She stared at the hunter who seemed unfazed. Juhyun stared her in the eye and scoffed before wiping her lips with a napkin, saying, “You’re lying, vampire hunter.”

‘Oh dear, I’m screwed! How did she know?! What should I do? What could I do?!’

Her eyes widened upon seeing the light atmosphere on the table turn serious. Everyone had stopped eating and was now staring at her. Hyoyeon felt her heartbeats escalate in rhythm as she tried looking for ways to escape this predicament.

It was all a trap from the beginning and Hyoyeon had pondered on how the aristocrats were able to know what she was.

She breathed deeply to calm herself before she raised her hands in surrender, “Okay. You got me.”

The glare that scared her in the past appeared on Taeyeon’s face and Hyoyeon knew the interrogations will now begin from here on. But despite this, the hunter found it odd that Sooyeon remained the same, her expression blank and eyes so pure and unprejudiced. Sooyeon was the only one who didn’t reveal her thoughts on her face. She didn’t react much to Juhyun’s revelation while the others besides Taeyeon grinned mischievously as if they had known all along.

“What’s your purpose for being here, hunter?” Taeyeon asked seriously, her eyes boring into her soul.

“One of your kind had crossed the line a few nights ago. I came here to investigate and bring the culprit to justice.”

“Oh, such a daredevil.” Yuri taunted with a grin plastered on her face.

“Indeed.” Yoona added.

Soonkyu and Miyoung only looked on with surprise. Soonkyu wiped with a napkin before throwing the hunter another question, “Do you have a lead as to who the culprit maybe?”

“From the clues found at the scene of the crime, I have concluded that the vampire was quite young and inexperienced. The perpetrator doesn’t have control over the blood thirst hence, the number of victims we found. The best place to catch such suspect would be this school since this is the only place where young vampires thrived together.” Hyoyeon had mustered her confidence as she delivered her answer.

“Do you think pureblood aristocrats have played a part on this?” Sooyeon, who had been quiet all the while, finally spoke.

This got Hyoyeon speechless. If she said yes, the aristocrats will surely finish her off then and there. Besides, her brothers couldn’t do anything but watch and listen. The aristocrats were the most powerful of their kind and Hyoyeon, as of the moment, could be the luckiest vampire hunter alive to be in close proximity with such beings – that is – if she ever gets out alive.

Should she answer ‘no’, she wouldn’t be able to back out of her word should she suspect them later on and that would hurt her ego as well as the vampire hunter community’s ego as a whole. Hyoyeon had to admit, this Sooyeon is pretty clever.

“As of the moment, every student in Darkring High is a suspect. The killings may be a ploy to hide something sinister since they were made rather carelessly even for a young blood’s standards.” Hyoyeon replied as she studied the vampires at the table.

Not much of a reaction. Only a few shrugs came from its members as if they didn’t care much about the matter.

“You’re playing with fire, hunter. It is best that you be careful in this endeavor. Meddling with vampires is like playing by the cobra’s den.” Taeyeon pointed out as her face softened, “Are you still willing to pursue your investigation?”

Hyoyeon nodded. She was determined to get this done. It wouldn’t matter if the purebloods will hinder her because she will think of ways to bring the culprit to justice.

Taeyeon leaned back on her chair and sighed, “Then, there is no choice. The aristocrats here will have to keep watch over you. This is a boarding school and I will have my fiancée arrange the room for you. And since you’re well-acquainted with Sooyoung already, you will room in with her. I have to warn you though. You will not make any mistake of killing the wrong vampire, understand?”

Hyoyeon nodded after realizing that the school was practically owned by the Jung family, of which Sooyeon, Soonkyu, Miyoung, and Yuri who were present at the table were members of.

+++

“Tell me, how did Juhyun come to know?” Hyoyeon asked the vampire leading her through the dark corridors.

The vampire hunter, unlike the regular humans, had heightened senses like the rest of her own family. They have developed such skills through the training and this enabled them to fight the vampires even in the darkest of places.

Sooyoung’s chuckles rang through the now emptied hall as they neared the door that they would be sharing.

“Taeyeon and my other siblings can read minds especially those of humans. Our youngest, Juhyun, is best in that department. If you were asking how the Jung side had caught on, let’s just say that they are pretty sensitive. Taeyeon’s fiancée, Sooyeon, had sensed your fear and uneasiness from afar and she sent me to see whether you’re a hunter or not.” 

‘Oh, now I see.’ Hyoyeon thought and this thought made her alarmed. Sooyoung can very well read what she was thinking. She’ll need to be careful.

“You should be careful while you’re here, hunter.” Sooyoung whispered loud enough for only the two of them to hear, “There are things far greater than mind reading and sensing things that you should be wary of.”

‘What things?’

“Things that people like you aren’t meant to know.”

‘There’s more to all this? I thought you were beasts that only cared of feasting on humans…’ Hyoyeon’s eyes widened at her own carelessness and she feared for her life when she saw Sooyoung’s eyes momentarily glow a dangerous shade of red before reverting back to its normal dark crimson tint.

“S-Sorry about that. I didn’t meant to-”

“It’s fine. It’s natural for you to think that. You’re someone from outside this society so you normally didn’t belong here and were not meant to understand the complexities of our lives.”

Hyoyeon slowly kept her distance as Sooyoung unlocked the door and crossed the threshold to their living quarters. It was a grand penthouse meant for the rich and Hyoyeon was amazed at the fortune that the aristocrats must have possessed to gain such luxuries.

“Quite fancy, isn’t it?” Sooyoung’s voice from the kitchen broke her thoughts, “This is just a glimpse of how we live in the Kim household. Same goes with the Jungs – Sooyeon’s family.”

Hyoyeon made her way to the kitchen and found the tall vampire seated at the counter with two plates of pasta in front of her. The vampire gestured for the hunter to take a seat on the counter, “Help yourself to the other plate.”

“Uh, thanks.” Hyoyeon said as she sat down and ate along although her mind was still filled with a lot of inquiries.

“Ask me anything.” Sooyoung suddenly said, “I know you’re curious.”

“Well, does your mind reading skills have limits?” Hyoyeon began as she twirled her pasta with a fork.

“Yes, they do.” Sooyoung riposted before slurping a huge forkful of pasta, “We cannot read the thoughts of the Jungs which were a dangerous thing given that they’re also purebloods, but they cannot sense us very well. We are each other’s handicaps but that only brings the two families closer; hence, the intermarriage beginning with Taeyeon and Sooyeon.”

The mention of Taeyeon and Sooyeon’s marriage made Hyoyeon’s heart twist into knots. It was an odd feeling for the hunter as she listened. Sooyoung had caught her thought and had abruptly stopped eating, her fork dropped on the plate.

“Do you, by chance, fancy my older sister’s fiancée?” Sooyoung demanded, “Have you met her before?!”

“What?! No…err… yes… I mean, yes I have met her and your older sister on accident but it was a decade ago. And no, I do not fancy her!”

“Be careful of what you’re thinking, Hyoyeon. I must warn you that my elder sister is very impulsive. She could kill you right now if she were present. You shouldn’t dare take what’s hers or else you’ll end up six feet below the ground with a deep slit on your throat or worse, you’d be missing your head and limbs.”

With that, Sooyoung stood up and left the baffled hunter’s presence.

+++

“Kiddo, what’s your status?” Leeteuk spoke through the receiver.

Hyoyeon pushed a button into her earphone and out came a little mic attached to it, “I’m fine. I managed to escape death yesterday.”

“Good job on surviving the aristocrats.” Siwon said, “You’re lucky, kiddo. Those aristocrats don’t usually let anyone off the hook.”

“Hey bro, they’re willing to have me investigate the school as long as I don’t do anything reckless. In fact, the aristocrats have tasked themselves to watch over me as I do my investigations.”

“Hmmm,” It was Heechul this time, “That’s odd. No vampire would collaborate with a hunter unless they’re using you to protect themselves.”

“Indeed.” A familiar voice, broke Hyoyeon’s secret conversations with her brothers. Hyoyeon spun around and was caught in surprise to see Yuri and Yoona right behind her.

“You startled me!” Hyoyeon said, clutching her heart in fright.

The two vampires simply laughed at her expense, leaning against each other as they chortled.

“Hey! It isn’t funny!” Hyoyeon groaned.

The two vampires sorted themselves out before Yuri replied, “We were just checking up on you, but you were talking to your brothers and we didn’t want to disturb you. Yoona here though, found it fun to catch you off guard and for a hunter, you do seem a bit careless around us…”

Yoona laughed a bit at Yuri’s remark.

“Hyoyeon, we were just joking around. Don’t be so tensed.” Yoona said and the hunter immediately knew that the tall doe-eyed vampire had read her mind.

“I can sense your inner turmoil, Hyo. Lighten up a bit.” Yuri said, grinning and revealing her sharp canine fangs.

‘I’m on a mission here,’ Hyoyeon reminded herself.

“Indeed, you are but still that doesn’t mean that you can’t have some fun.” Yoona smiled this time, “and by the way, keep away from my sister’s fiancée.”

This was the second time someone had warned her to stay away from Sooyeon and this confused Hyoyeon very much. She didn’t think of that, but why was Yoona warning her of it?

“Soo told me of your fancy for my sister. And I have to warn you that my sister can be very alluring and charismatic. She doesn’t do it intentionally, but she lures in others to their deaths.” Yuri said as if she had sensed Hyoyeon’s confusion.

“And by death you mean by Taeyeon’s hand?” Hyoyeon raised a brow as she studied the two vampires’ reactions.

Yoona stiffened and Yuri became reserved at the mention of the aristocrat.

“Be careful.” Yuri leaned in to whisper into the hunter’s ear. The mortal found herself stiffening at the sudden move for the vampire’s motion was too swift to be seen. Hyoyeon made a mental note to keep her guard up at all times.

“Do not provoke the fiancée or else it will be your last. And never dare to answer your brothers in her presence. She is very impulsive and she does not hesitate unless Sooyeon vehemently hinders her, which would be a rarity on Sooyeon’s part.” It was Yoona, Taeyeon’s very own sister this time, who had whispered the warning to her.

Then, the two vampires passed in haste that Hyoyeon barely saw them leave through the open doors of the hall. Hyoyeon heard her brother, Eunhyuk, over the earphone, “Hyo, you must now be extra careful. The aristocrats seem to be keeping a very keen eye on you.”

“I will, brother.”

+++

It’s the second night and Hyoyeon found herself perched on top of the dormitory’s building watching for some anomalies in the darkness. To her delight, there were a lot of shadows lurking about amongst the dark halls and the moonlit grounds of the school. 

But her eyes were trained on the lookout for those who dare leave the premises and sneak toward the human side of the Shade. A shadow of great speed darted from the balcony and onto the rooftop of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter